daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:40 AM   #41
weird
vagamundo

Wonderful pictures Mike. I really like your sight of the city

Just a couple points:

- Palacio de Telecomunicaciones is now under construction to be the new City Hall of Madrid

- Ready, steady, go is "preparados, listos, ya". It's nice that you are trying to introduce yourself in the language too hehe

Waiting forward for the next pics
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM   #42
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
Wow, again impressive pictures, Mike.

Did you go up to the roof of the Penthouse Hotel? There is a terrace there with a wonderful view.

Thanks again.
No I didn't, I didn't realise one could just go up to the terrace, I'm sure you can get some wonderful views from there. Well once again, there's another thing to add to my list of things to do when I next visit sometime .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Great shots.

I will be there soon. Staying at Plaza Santa Ana!

The Gran Via must be the most imposing street in Europe! It gives me a Chicago feel somehow.
Oooo, lovely. Plaza Santa Ana is fantastic, a lovely little atmospheric corner of the city with wonderful sights and sounds. I agree about Gran Via, it's an incredible street - an example of the lengths people went to in the past to transform what was once a poorer area between two very important parts of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madridhere View Post
Sorry, Mike, I wanted to answer you sooner, but I couldn´t.

I hope you had a good time in Extremandura and Andalucía too. It´s a good time to visit there, before the strong heat of the summertime and with quite interesting places to go to.

I see the crisis is beating eveywhere. At least the center of Bristol is finished. Here we had two important projects -the river and the reform of Paseo del Prado- that are going veeeeery slowly for lack of money. Anyway, let´s hope that crisis will soon be over and the cranes of Bristol and all the cities of this forum start again working quickly.

Apart from that, your last pictures are again beautiful. I like very much the pictures of detail. It seems you have a good camera, don´t you? Thanks again. cheers:
Oh, woops. I meant my Grandfather continued on from Madrid. I did not join him on his journey south as he was on a nature tour. Though I agree about timing, I was in Cordoba in early April 2006 and the temperature was perfect, despite it raining rather a lot .

I noticed there were a lot of cranes alongside Almudena and Palacio Real. Is that all part of the riverside development or something different?
Thanks for the compliments mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obidos View Post
Wonderful pics and wonderful thread of the city where I live. Thanks a lot Mike
Thanks very much, hopefully I've portrayed it as a true Madrileno would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseRodolfo View Post
Great pictures! Thanks!

Alguien me podría decir de quién es la poesía concreta en la fachada del Instituto Cervantes? Está muy buena!

Gracias.
Muchas gracias. Sí, yo estaba muy interesado en ese edificio aunque no estaba seguro acerca de la escritura en el propio edificio. Presumiblemente, fue diseñado por alguien en la Institución.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTSEATTLEGUY View Post
Beautiful!! You captured my homeland perfectly! I can't wait to return! Thanks for this!
Thanks very much, hope you enjoy your return back to Madrid .

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird View Post
Wonderful pictures Mike. I really like your sight of the city

Just a couple points:

- Palacio de Telecomunicaciones is now under construction to be the new City Hall of Madrid

- Ready, steady, go is "preparados, listos, ya". It's nice that you are trying to introduce yourself in the language too hehe

Waiting forward for the next pics
Thanks a lot. I was wondering what the netting around the top of the Palacio de Telecomunicaciones was about when I was there but I think it would make a fantastic city hall - such a grand, imposing building that can be seen in all directions. And thankyou for correcting my attempt at a Spanish set phrase, Diego also did. I knew it was something like that but better make it gramatically correct than mess it up completely

Next batch of pictures coming soon!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM   #43
weird
vagamundo

The cranes surrounding the Palacio Real and La Almudena are constructing the new Museum of Royal Heritage
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM   #44
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Thanks a lot. I was wondering what the netting around the top of the Palacio de Telecomunicaciones was about when I was there but I think it would make a fantastic city hall - such a grand, imposing building that can be seen in all directions. And thankyou for correcting my attempt at a Spanish set phrase, Diego also did. I knew it was something like that but better make it gramatically correct than mess it up completely

Next batch of pictures coming soon!
Palacio de Comunicaciones is the new Town Hall. A big part of it is already occupied by the major and his team. ANother part has a glass roof like we can see in Madridhere´s pictures. It reminds me of Foster´s roof of the Bristish Museum. It´s already finished. It was first used for an institutional act last 15th of May. The top of the building will have a place to look the city (sorry I don´t know the name in English) at the end of the year or in 2010.

[QUOTE=madridhere;36993790]

Expecting your new batch of pictures, Mike...
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM   #45
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
The top of the building will have a place to look the city (sorry I don´t know the name in English) at the end of the year or in 2010.
That's so cool! A viewing/observation deck will be open for the public? Amazing photos by the way Mike!
Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #46
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird View Post
The cranes surrounding the Palacio Real and La Almudena are constructing the new Museum of Royal Heritage
Thanks for that, that sounds interesting. I didn't think there was much space between the Palacio Real and the garden adjacent to it. I guess that is yet another thing to add to the list to do next time .

[QUOTE=JAVICUENCA;37073142]Palacio de Comunicaciones is the new Town Hall. A big part of it is already occupied by the major and his team. ANother part has a glass roof like we can see in Madridhere´s pictures. It reminds me of Foster´s roof of the Bristish Museum. It´s already finished. It was first used for an institutional act last 15th of May. The top of the building will have a place to look the city (sorry I don´t know the name in English) at the end of the year or in 2010.

Quote:

Expecting your new batch of pictures, Mike...
Fantastic, that must be what they were doing while I was there that I only saw the netting of. Of course I did not see the interior of the building but perhaps when it is finished it will be possible to? An observatory from there would be fantastic! Next batch viene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
That's so cool! A viewing/observation deck will be open for the public? Amazing photos by the way Mike!
Thanks very much .
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #47
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART VI
An Evening Stroll

On the evening I was there, we ventured from our hotel back to a much more crowded Plaza Mayor where there were plenty of sights, sounds and smells to be had. The most imposing noise came from a group of Mexican Mariachi players who played famous tunes such as 'Guantamanera' and 'La Cucaracha'. The sidestreets behind Plaza Mayor took us around to Calle de Segovia and eventually passed Plaza Provincia and on to Plaza Santa Ana where we enjoyed a meal under the stars listening to more jazz music.

Calle de Espoz y Mina, Edificio Telefónica

Calle Correo, Edificio Telefónica

Calle Correo

Puerta del Sol

Puerta del Sol

Puerta del Sol, El Corte Inglés

Puerta del Sol, Calle Preciados

Calle de Arenal, View of Casa de Correo

Calle de Arenal, View of Casa de Correo

Calle de Arenal, Hostal Rifer

Calle de Arenal

Plaza Mayor

Plaza Mayor

Plaza Mayor

Plaza Mayor

Plaza Mayor

Calle San Miguel, The Leaning Houses

Plaza Puerta Cerrada, Casa Paco

Plaza Puerta Cerrada, La Colegiata de San Isidro

Plaza Puerta Cerrada, Edificio Telefónica

Plaza Santa Ana, Hotel Penthouse

Plaza Santa Ana, Teatro Español

Puerta del Sol, Tio Pepe

Last edited by Bristol Mike; May 25th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #48
buho

Likes (Received): 19817

Mike, you didn't just make the most typical tour, you really knew Madrid not so typical streets and zones. Just a point: it's not catedral de San Isidro, that church actually is colegiata, not catedral. It was the cathedral of Madrid for some years, until the inauguration of the actual.

The cranes that are building the Museum of Royal Heritage, also discovered a big part of the muslim wall.
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #49
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Mike, wonderful evening stroll. The pictures of Santa Ana are great.

Thanks.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #50
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

stunning pics!
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #51
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Amazing thread, man.
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #52
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by buho View Post
Mike, you didn't just make the most typical tour, you really knew Madrid not so typical streets and zones. Just a point: it's not catedral de San Isidro, that church actually is colegiata, not catedral. It was the cathedral of Madrid for some years, until the inauguration of the actual.

The cranes that are building the Museum of Royal Heritage, also discovered a big part of the muslim wall.
Well having visited there in April 2006, I was very familiar with all the well-known sites so was prepared to go off track slightly to see more of the city which often is more interesting off all the major roads. Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure what the Isidro church should be but I did not realise it was once the cathedral of Madrid!

Quote:
Mike, wonderful evening stroll. The pictures of Santa Ana are great.

Thanks.
Yes, Plaza Santa Ana is simply lovely. It's certainly a place to return back to for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezan View Post
stunning pics!
Quote:
Amazing thread, man.
Muchas gracias hombres!

I AM CURRENTLY HAVING A FEW ACCOUNT PROBLEMS WITH PHOTOBUCKET BUT WILL HAVE MY NEW UPDATE UP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #53
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART VII
Puerta del Sol to Cibeles

The following morning we set off from our hotel on Calle Maestro Victoria bright and early. As became very familiar, walking eastwards from Puerta del Sol takes you down the Calle de Alcalá to Plaza de Cibeles, outside the Palacio de Telecommunicaciones. The large avenue running north-south is the Paseo del Prado southwards from Cibeles and Paseo de Recoletos northwards from Cibeles to the Plaza de Colón where you are met by a very different image of a skyscraper.

The sidestreets on the east side from Plaza de Colón bring you behind the Biblioteca Nacional and the Museo Arqueológico Nacional and eventually by following Calle Serrano, one emerges in front of the northern entrance to the Parque de Buen Retiro and the fantastically built Puerta de Alcalá. As I found, if you position yourself just right and look through the central arch, the whole of Calle de Alcalá westwards can be seen as well as the shiny dome of the Edifico Metrópolis.

Puerta del Sol

Puerta del Sol, Calle de Arenal

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá, Elephantine Sculptures

Calle de Alcalá, Las Calatravas

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá, Canalejas Corner

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá, Edifico Metrópolis

Calle de Alcalá, Las Calatravas

Calle de Alcalá

Calle de Alcalá & Gran Vía

Calle de Alcalá

Paseo de Recoletos

Paseo de Recoletos

Paseo de Recoletos

Paseo de Recoletos, Barclays Tower

Paseo de Recoletos

Plaza de Colón, Cristobal Colón

Plaza de Colón

Plaza de Colón, Barclays Tower

Plaza de Colón

Plaza de Colón

Plaza de Colón

Plaza de Colón

Plaza de Colón, Monumento del Centro Cultural de la Villa

Calle Serrano, Museo Arqueológico Nacional

Calle Serrano, Puerta de Alcalá

Calle Serrano

Calle Serrano

Puerta de Alcalá, View of Palacio de Telecommunicaciones

Puerta de Alcalá

Puerta de Alcalá

Puerta de Alcalá, Buen Retiro

Puerta de Alcalá

Puerta de Alcalá, Passage into Buen Retiro

Puerta de Alcalá

Puerta de Alcalá

Puerta de Alcalá
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #54
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 158

Dude, amazing shots!!!! I loved the elephantine sculptures and the red bricked building of Calle Serrano (it would have been awesome without the tree tho hehehehe...).
Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #55
madridhere

Beautiful shots again. Good light.

Mike, I see you didn´t show the reform of Serrano St. Now it´s chaotic, it´s true. It´ll be a real mess until December at least.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Old May 28th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #56
Juan Pilgrim

Likes (Received): 116

Beautiful photos of Madrid!

Hermosas las fotos.
Madrid se ve re linda.
Juan Pilgrim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #57
oduguy1999
The Big Easy Forever

Likes (Received): 45

OMG! GREAT PICS! I LOVE THIS CITY SOOO MUCH!

-Dr. Seuss
oduguy1999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #58
wapo5050

Likes (Received): 214

beautiful pics of a beautiful city
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #59
madridhere

No more? Please Mike...

Old May 30th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #60
frozen

Likes (Received):

Mike, your pics have such a strength and life! They are amazing, thank u very much

Tags
spain in the world