daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:25 AM   #61
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
Dude, amazing shots!!!! I loved the elephantine sculptures and the red bricked building of Calle Serrano (it would have been awesome without the tree tho hehehehe...).
Thanks very much, now I think of it I've forgotten what building that was on so perhaps madridhere or Diego could help please ?? Those buildings on Calle Serrano were lovely, reminded me a bit of France actually. I think it's a matter of preference really, I thought of making a photo solely of the building but one: that was quite difficult and two: I actually think the green adds to it, but I see where you're coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madridhere View Post
Beautiful shots again. Good light.

Mike, I see you didn´t show the reform of Serrano St. Now it´s chaotic, it´s true. It´ll be a real mess until December at least.
Thanks a lot mate. To be honest, there wasn't much going on when I was there. Perhaps it was the early time of day. I noticed a lot of open-top drains and vehicles parked there but the traffic was flowing relatively well and nothing was abnormal. I have been told it is very noisy there now though . What are they doing exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Pilgrim View Post
Beautiful photos of Madrid!

Hermosas las fotos.
Madrid se ve re linda.
Thank you very much mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oduguy1999 View Post
OMG! GREAT PICS! I LOVE THIS CITY SOOO MUCH!
You and me both my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapo5050 View Post
beautiful pics of a beautiful city
Thanks for the comment.

Quote:
No more? Please Mike...
Oh don't worry, there are plenty more, I just need to find enough time to do both Bristol and Madrid in one. Stay tuned, there is more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Mike, your pics have such a strength and life! They are amazing, thank u very much
Thanks for the compliment, glad you like my photographs so much .
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:25 PM   #62
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART VIII
Cibeles to Estación Atocha

The Paseo del Prado is the original kilometre of the great 5km long avenue stretching from Atocha to the northerly Plaza Castilla. Lined wit huge trees and stylish edifices, it is the most richly attractive of the three parts to the avenue and has the added bonus of housing three of the most impressive art galleries in the world, headed by the incomparable Prado itself. Namely, one can find the Museo Thyssen Bornemisza and at the foot of the avenue, opposite the magnificent Estación Atocha - the Centro de Arte Reina Sofía.

This avenue is where Carlos III decided to plot a sort of green belt and it is particularly evident today. He built a cluster of scientific institutions situated around a grand openair salon where carriages circled around a promenade. Two of the remaining plans are the Observatorio Astronómico and the wonderful Jardín Botánico next to the Prado which will be seen in the next update.

Finally, when the Paseo del Prado opens up at its southernmost end, Estación Atocha can be seen across the roundabout. This glass-and-iron 19th century building opened in 1851 when the first trains to the capital arrived from Aranjuez carrying foods and the royal family. Until the 1990s, it was also the city's main rail terminus but now it is more specifcally servicing to the Extremadura, Levante and Andalucia via the AVE high speed train. The extension to the station by Rafael Moneo however services to Toledo and Madrid southern suburbs. The station was the location for the March 2004 bombings however the station retains its beauty architecturally on the outside and ecologically on the inside.

Paseo del Prado, Calle de Alcalá

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado, Palacio de Telecommunicaciones

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado, Calle de Alcalá

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado, Banco de España

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado, Palace Hotel

Paseo del Prado, Plaza Cánovas del Castillo, The Ritz

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado, Plaza Cánovas del Castillo, Fuente de Neptuno

Paseo del Prado, The Ritz

Paseo del Prado, Plaza del Prado

Paseo del Prado, The Murillo Entrance

Paseo del Prado, Different Buildings

Paseo del Prado, The Murillo Entrance

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado, Ministerio de Agricultura

Paseo del Prado, Plaza Emperador Carlos V

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado, Claudio Moya

Paseo del Prado

Paseo del Prado, Estación Atocha

Estación Atocha

Estación Atocha

Estación Atocha

Estación Atocha

Estación Atocha

Estación Atocha

Estación Atocha, Tortugas

Estación Atocha, Tortugas

Estación Atocha
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:40 PM   #63
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

WOW
melbstud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM   #64
zazo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 132

Really nice! but actually Paseo del Prado has 1,2 km, but the total axe from Atocha to Plaza de Castilla about 6,5 km, and the total avenue (Prado+Recoletos+Castellana) close to 9 km
zazo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:38 PM   #65
wapo5050

Likes (Received): 214

Very beautiful pics!!
i like this:

Old June 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM   #66
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Great update!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM   #67
buho

Likes (Received): 19810

Very good photos!
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:41 PM   #68
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbstud View Post
WOW
Hehehehe, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazo View Post
Really nice! but actually Paseo del Prado has 1,2 km, but the total axe from Atocha to Plaza de Castilla about 6,5 km, and the total avenue (Prado+Recoletos+Castellana) close to 9 km
Thank you, I wasn't sure exactly what the exact measurements were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapo5050 View Post
Very beautiful pics!!
i like this:

Thank you. Yes I just saw that and thought 'wonderful' - how busy the lives of tortoises can really be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
Great update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buho View Post
Very good photos!
Thank you very much for you compliments.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:16 AM   #69
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Thanks again, Mike. Always excellent pictures.

You speak a bit of Spanish too. We appreciate your effort of speaking a language so different from Englsh.

Maybe it´s interesting to say that Paseo del Prado is having a reform designed by Siza. It has started just after you left the city. In general there will be more room for pedestrians, new floors, new streetlamps and a big garden in front of the Museo del Prado where now there are cars. It´s going slowly because of the ******* crisis.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)

Last edited by madridhere; June 2nd, 2009 at 12:21 AM.
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:13 AM   #70
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Gracias de nuevo mi amigo. Quizás debería responder a usted en español. Es verdad sin embargo que estudio español como una asignatura para mis Baccalaureats. Me gusta pensar que puedo hablar relativamente bien. Aunque es agradable para un extranjero cuando se oye a alguien hablando su propio lengua. Debe ser bastante molesto tener el Inglés en países como España, y sólo para hablar en Inglés. El Inglés sólo esperan la nacionalidad a todos los demás entienden.

Sin embargo, con respecto al Paseo del Prado, los planes suenan brillantes. Estaba impresionado por la avenida cuando estuve allí así de modo que sabe lo que aparecerá como en el futuro.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:23 AM   #71
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART IX
El Jardín Botánico

No much needs to be said here this time. The garden was created in 1774 by Carlos III, whose statue can be found within the gardens. It served as a nursery for rare plants and trees from all over the globe. Apparently, the first dahlias originated here from seeds that were imported from Mexico and following that in 1803, over 7000 packets of dahlia seeds were sent to England, France and Italy for propogation.

I can imagine this, like many other green areas in the city, are restful and shady retreats in the high summer but for flowers, perhaps is better in April/May.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:31 AM   #72
Peshu

Likes (Received): 1

Great shots Bristol Mike . Easily Iberias greatest city .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM   #73
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post

Gracias de nuevo mi amigo. Quizás debería responder a usted en español. Es verdad sin embargo que estudio español como una asignatura para mis Baccalaureats. Me gusta pensar que puedo hablar relativamente bien. Aunque es agradable para un extranjero cuando se oye a alguien hablando su propio lengua. Debe ser bastante molesto tener el Inglés en países como España, y sólo para hablar en Inglés. El Inglés sólo esperan la nacionalidad a todos los demás entienden.

Sin embargo, con respecto al Paseo del Prado, los planes suenan brillantes. Estaba impresionado por la avenida cuando estuve allí así de modo que sabe lo que aparecerá como en el futuro.

Tu español va muy bien, hombre.

And the pictures are as great as ever.

Muchas gracias. Thanks.
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #74
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

The botanic garden was in a good moment, Mike, when you went there. I haveto go back again this year, maybe one of these days...I like the detail of the turtles very much too.

Hablas muy bien español. Felicidades.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #75
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshu View Post
Great shots Bristol Mike . Easily Iberias greatest city .
Thanks very much mate .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
Tu español va muy bien, hombre.

And the pictures are as great as ever.

Muchas gracias. Thanks.
Muchas gracias, he lo practicado mucho recientemente para mis examenes. Ahora, espero poder hablar español bien cuando visitará el sur de España en julio. También me alegra mucho que te gustan las fotos también.

Quote:
The botanic garden was in a good moment, Mike, when you went there. I haveto go back again this year, maybe one of these days...I like the detail of the turtles very much too.

Hablas muy bien español. Felicidades.
Indeed, the Botanical Garden was a lovely retreat from the noise of Paseo del Prado I must say. The Azaleas in pictures 3 & 6 looked beautiful too. Thanks for the compliment. .
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #76
bakatje

Likes (Received): 3

I've been to Barcelona several times, but never to Madrid. Really want to go now! I love Spanish cities. Great pics.
bakatje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #77
Luko Madrid
United we stand.

Likes (Received): 11

Enhorabuena por tu español (o castellano) y enhorabuena por las fotos.

The Botanical Garden of Madrid is one of the most important historical botanical gardens in the World and its in the very centre of the city.

Thank you for the pictures!! Now is hot here in Madrid and I go to ride my bike and read under a tree every weekend to the Retiro Park, close to the Botanical garden.
Luko Madrid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #78
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakatje View Post
I've been to Barcelona several times, but never to Madrid. Really want to go now! I love Spanish cities. Great pics.
Well all I can say to that is that Madrid is well worth a visit. Both Madrid and Barcelona are amazing in my experience yet so different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luko Madrid View Post
Enhorabuena por tu español (o castellano) y enhorabuena por las fotos.

The Botanical Garden of Madrid is one of the most important historical botanical gardens in the World and its in the very centre of the city.

Thank you for the pictures!! Now is hot here in Madrid and I go to ride my bike and read under a tree every weekend to the Retiro Park, close to the Botanical garden.
Muchas gracias señor. I think the gardens were planted for great reasons by Carlos III. When you arrive on the Paseo del Prado from the very busy central area, you just get an impression of greenery - the trees lining the Paseo del Prado, the Botanical Gardens themselves and then the huge Retiro Park. Fantastic .
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #79
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART IX
El Jardín Botánico

No much needs to be said here this time. The garden was created in 1774 by Carlos III, whose statue can be found within the gardens. It served as a nursery for rare plants and trees from all over the globe. Apparently, the first dahlias originated here from seeds that were imported from Mexico and following that in 1803, over 7000 packets of dahlia seeds were sent to England, France and Italy for propogation.

I can imagine this, like many other green areas in the city, are restful and shady retreats in the high summer but for flowers, perhaps is better in April/May.

Old June 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #80
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Tags
spain in the world