daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2009, 04:45 PM   #41
Metsada
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
Good pics!

but Joanne, I disagree with your comment.. I was in Cairo 3 years ago and backpacked thru the middle of the town, entered local's typical apartment blocks etc. and I found Cairo pretty unpleasant ( architecture-wise) and its ugly in most parts. Not to put down Cairo but just to mention my real observation.
I have heard the same thing from a lot of people who went there. It's a pity, since Egypt (like Iran) is one of the oldest civilizations on earth. It doesn't mean that it can't improve though.

Last edited by Metsada; May 21st, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Metsada no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM   #42
simcard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
What's that stuff called you're taking?

I basically just said that I don't like the Cairo you've shown in your first post but rather that one shown in your last.

Anyway, Cairo isn't beautiful at all, I've been diving at the Egyptian coast and visited it 4 times during that vacation. Annoying traffic, annoying people (sorry to say), annoying dirt, annoying noise, annoying smell. But still there are some beautiful buildings (esp. sacred ones) left. Wish there were more.
fight fight FIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromJoanne View Post
Oh I see well bay-sickly my experience and I know I am by no means the only one , was and is the opposite of yours, Egyptians are generally lovely welcoming people who have a great sense of humour, there is so much beauty to be found in Cairo and that includes the views of my first post

More beautiful buildings ??? What ignorance ! Egypt and Cairo is bursting at the seams with beautiful buildings
You visited Cairo 4 times all the way from the Red Sea ???
Wow very persistent for someone who disliked it so much and you must have either had a hell of a long looong vacation or a private plane considering the distance since it takes at least 6 hours by road

Anyway I cant relate to you or your experience in Egypt
but whatever your opinion is I am sure nobody is going to lie awake about it
fight fight FIGHT
simcard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM   #43
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

Yes it is.
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM   #44
unusualfire

Likes (Received): 1

"Dont forget that cairo is one of the most populous cities in the world with about 65 million people its a cliche often used but Cairo is a melting pot, its almost like you can find the whole world there together, the West,the Far East, the Orient, Africa, modern times, ancient times, ugliness/ beauty, dirt poor, obscenely rich people Thats what makes it so fascinating
All live side by side, there are areas where the people live exactly like people used to live hundreds of years ago and there are highly sophisticated,high class areas like for example Katameya Heights or parts of Heliopolis Gezira etc etc"

That's the furthest from the truth.
unusualfire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM   #45
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post

Anyway, Cairo isn't beautiful at all, I've been diving at the Egyptian coast and visited it 4 times during that vacation. Annoying traffic, annoying people (sorry to say), annoying dirt, annoying noise, annoying smell. But still there are some beautiful buildings (esp. sacred ones) left. Wish there were more.
Totally agree with what you said. I had exactly the same impression of Egypt.
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM   #46
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsada View Post
I have heard the same thing from a lot of people who went there. It's a pity, since Egypt (like Iran) is one of the oldest civilizations on earth. It doesn't mean that it can't improve though.
I was actually disappointed with my Egypt trip. Cairo offers nothing much and it's not beautiful at all ( except for very few districts ), the infrastructure & living condition is the worst I've ever seen ( Yemen the poorest country in entire Middle East has surprisingly good infrastructure and good living condition; and Yemeni cities are soo beautiful ! ); I was extremely shocked to see the living condition of ordinary Egyptians (>80% of Cairo population ) in their poorly-maintained blocks. And salesmen in Egypt are very pushy and aggressive. But yes, many Egyptians are very friendly and hospitable- I got sun-stroke when I was in Luxor and one poor Egyptian family took me to a doctor and paid 100 Egyptian pounds- that's half of their monthly salary .

Again, no offense to anybody.

Last edited by Skyprince; May 21st, 2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:55 PM   #47
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10253

That was my impression as well. I would say the original post of this thread was an attempt to make Cairo look like a nice place, and somewhat succeeded in doing so.
But with a crazy pollution, crazy noise, crazy traffic, and crazy people, Cairo is really not that attractive.
Also, reading Cairo has 65M inhabitants would be funny if it wasn't another attempt to misguide the readers.

Quote:
It's a pity, since Egypt (like Iran) is one of the oldest civilizations on earth. It doesn't mean that it can't improve though.
The current Arab Republic of Egypt is not the civilization there was there thousand of years ago (kīmi). Arabs invaded Egypt in 639 and slaughtered most of its people, burning to the ground most cities and monuments. Egypt is still an arabic country with arabic people to this day, but they are not the original Egyptians.

Currently, the only remaining Old Egyptians living there are the Copts (some of them, not all), a few hundreds of them still speaking the original Egyptian language in its Coptic form, itself derived from the Demotic and Hieroglyphic Egyptian. Unfortunately, these people still suffer oppression today on their land from their Muslim counterparts. Some Copts are muslim though, this is not a religious war.
Substructure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM   #48
FromJoanne

Likes (Received): 0

Had looked up the population and that particular site said 65 million I checked again there seems to be confusion about it
PEOPLE AND HISTORY
Egypt is the most populous country in the Arab world and the second-most populous on the African Continent. Nearly all of the country's 79 million people live in Cairo and Alexandria; elsewhere on the banks of the Nile; in the Nile delta, which fans out north of Cairo; and along the Suez Canal. These regions are among the world's most densely populated, containing an average of over 3,820 persons per square mile (1,540 per sq. km.), as compared to 181 persons per sq. mi. for the country as a whole.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5309.htm

Many didnt get what I said in the very beginning of my post
Everything has its beauty but not everybody sees it
I dont claim Cairo to be all beautiful but there is certainly beauty to be found as I keep saying and I did find beauty I am sorry you didnt I showed here part of the beauty I found through the very few photos I have thats all

Copyright: FomJoanne, All rights reserved
FromJoanne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #49
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

It's beautiful in a rotting decayed sort of way. Kind of like blue cheese. You have to love cities to see the beauty in Cairo. African cities are not as glamourous as Asian or European cities. It has to do with what a regions people are willing to tolerate and their capital. Otherwise the world would still be living in dung huts which is probably better for the planet and the ecosystem. Lagos would be considered ugly in my eyes from what I've seen on this forum....and with Nigeria's new mandatory death sentencing laws for homosexuals, well it just adds more fuel to why I think Lagos is ugly. Sorry I went off track here.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:56 AM   #50
aaabbbccc

Likes (Received): 385

I hate to say this
casablanca is alot nicer than cairo and alot cleaner
no offence but true
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:07 AM   #51
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
I was actually disappointed with my Egypt trip. Cairo offers nothing much and it's not beautiful at all Again, no offense to anybody.
Cairo offers nothing much? A hell of a lot more than the backward child labor city you come from. ( no offence to anybody, that was just the impression I got )
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:48 AM   #52
Fizmo1337

Likes (Received): 62

I haven't been there so I have to base it on the pictures you gave. However your pictures are only from your balcony so it's only 1 view I can base my opinon on. I have to see more to judge it properly but based on pics it seems lovely to walk along the Nile. Cosy, lot's of green, a mix of modern and Egyptian/Arabian architecture, the waterfront (obviously) and a nice chaotic feeling of people.
I guess it must be interesting to go just outside the touristic areas and spend some time in the small alleys with traditional shops etc... but it seems there's not much to see/do as a tourist outside the centre. Normally I go off the traditional touristic paths but I guess in Caro it's better to only visit the centre (and some small alleys close by to get the historic centre feeling).

I always had a feeling that Caro was cosy (along the Nile) and had some great architecture, a bit like Istanbul. Seems there aren't that much impressive architectural landmarks (mosques etc...) like in Istanbul.

Again, I haven't been there so I can't judge it properly I could be wrong

Last edited by Fizmo1337; May 22nd, 2009 at 02:06 AM.
Fizmo1337 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:15 AM   #53
NastaseDM

Likes (Received): 0

cairo

After seeing the pictures of the city I can only conclude one thing. Beauty in the eye of the beholder is such BS. I believe is a saying used here not to put down the people who come from there. Why do you think it is pretty much the same picture over and over again because it was probably the best part of town and looking in a different direction will show reality. Reality is that unfortunately it is a a poor, dirty and unpleasant city. I don't want to put anyone down but reality is reality. On that note I have no idea how life is over there but from the looks of it I wouldn't like to visit nor live there. Original poster please take no offence but you asked for viewers' opinions.

Last edited by NastaseDM; May 22nd, 2009 at 02:22 AM.
NastaseDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:44 AM   #54
SPQR
Demi god

Likes (Received): 1243

This city was a total mystery to me, thanks for the pictures.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:59 AM   #55
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
Cairo offers nothing much? A hell of a lot more than the backward child labor city you come from. ( no offence to anybody, that was just the impression I got )
Do you refer to cities in Yemen ? I just returned from there and yes salary level in Yemen is much lower than in Egypt but Yemeni cities are orderly, extremely charming, good infrastructure ( first-rate roads ) with brand-new cars, living condition is pretty good for ordinary Yemenis ( they live in solid comfortable homes ), there is rule of law, and nobody takes money from tourists. That's the most exciting among all 31 countries I've been to . Egypt, especially in Cairo, is the exact opposite!

Even for an extreme backpacker I didn't find anything much to see in Cairo; everything was very harsh- I got cheated by many aggressive salesmen and taxi drivers in Egypt and I know many tourists who got sick ( including me ) due to food poisoning there. I'm sorry to say this, but you cannot cheat people to believe that Cairo is attractive and tourist-friendly .
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM   #56
StoneRose
resident hochdeutsch

Likes (Received): 67

Wow, I'm actually surprised to see so many negative opinions on Cairo and the Egyptian people since my experiences have been different.

I think a lot of it has something to do that I was not really a tourist but lived in a normal Cairo neighbourhood for a few months and got to know the way of life a little bit.

The neighbourhood called Dokkhi where I lived was really nice. Also Zamalek and Heliopolis are great places to live imo.

This picture shows a little bit what "my" Cairo was about:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrispitality/2612212145/

Still, 'beautiful' is maybe not the word I'd use for Cairo either.
StoneRose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM   #57
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Cairo looks like it's ready to crumble sadly like Havanna, Cuba. What is the Cairo economy all about?
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #58
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59338

^ Havanna is a whole different thing. And it's not crumbling at all, since UNESCO took the city's old town under its wing, or at least since the late 90s. They've already renovated a lot and some of the colonial neighbourhoods and esp. representative buildings look almost perfect. Not comparable to what you get to see in Cairo, not in any sense! Cuba in general is actually doing quite well preserving its architectural heritage.

I didn't take photos of Havanna, but I'll see if I can upload the videos I took of the city in 2003.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM   #59
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

From what I see in all the photos posted in this thread: yes, Cairo looks REALLY ugly.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM   #60
DarkLite
vital

Likes (Received): 15994

I like Cairo, it has this mysterious, chaotic, urban, lively, and rustic charm to it. I loved those pictures of the Cairo markets
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote