daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM   #61
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3442

Cairo is a great city. But not as beautiful you say
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 PM   #62
Erwin123

Likes (Received): 0

Ugly as a whole, has its beautiful aspects though, just like every other city.
Erwin123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:06 AM   #63
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10266

Another aspect of the city, already mentioned before : the extreme amount of noise within the city.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/wo...ewanted=1&_r=1
Substructure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:47 AM   #64
AndersonLee
Civil Engineer

Likes (Received): 2

It's a lively city!
I like!
AndersonLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #65
Metsada
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substructure View Post
Arabs invaded Egypt in 639 and slaughtered most of its people, burning to the ground most cities and monuments.
Do you have proof of this? You sound like a racist to me. I'm sure you wouldn't say this about the Spanish or the British who did those things to other civilizations throughout the world.
Metsada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #66
miau
ausgewachsene mörderkatze

Likes (Received): 5388

Cairo is very interesting and incredebly dense but it is not a beautiful city as a whole.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM   #67
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 3

Pretty stupid title & idea for a thread really.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #68
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsada View Post
Do you have proof of this? You sound like a racist to me. I'm sure you wouldn't say this about the Spanish or the British who did those things to other civilizations throughout the world.
This is well documented. Note however that the muslims are not the only one to blame for Egypt's long agony, as Egypt basically died with Cleopatra and was invaded by the Roman and Byzantine Empires beforehand.
However the muslims are to blame for their religious bigotry, which they used to justify the worst atrocities against the native Egyptians and their legacy.
Talking about legacy, the destruction of Alexandria's library for instance, which allegedly took 6 months to complete, was justified by the fact either its books would be against the Koran, in which case they would be heresy, or agree with it, in which case they would be superfluous. Both case would justify their destruction.
The Copts mostly remain the native Egyptians, and the ones who were still left following the invasion have faced constant oppression which is still going on at this day (recent pork slaughter). Things mostly haven't changed on this land for the last 1300 years.
But even then, this is not a race or ethnic problem. It's only a hatred/intolerance issue, mostly fueled by religion.

edit: Also, calling someone a racist won't give any excuse to unforgivable behavior toward human beings, nor temper what happened in the past. Sure it has happened to many other places in history, but we're talking about Egypt here. More recently (past two centuries) it's also been invaded by the French, Italians, and the British and I condemn this as much as for any invader (though at least those guys didn't leave as much destruction behind them).

Last edited by Substructure; May 23rd, 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Substructure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #69
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Religon is definitely a big factor of why Egypt is not modernizing. Religous intolerance has also made it difficult for many westerners to visit the Middle East and parts of Africa. I truly believe there should be a separation of church and state in every country for the world to be at peace.

I am gay and would never visit Lagos, Nigeria. They would execute me. The reason why they have such anti-homo laws is because of religon.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #70
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10400

Blah blah.

I don't think Cairo is ugly like I said earlier. Although Alexandria is nicer IMO.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #71
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

It looks fascinating, but not beautiful. Which is better is a matter of preference.