search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Skyscrapers & General Urban Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #81
Brudl

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
The pollution is also very bad - for the 3 days that we were my throat, eyes and nose burned. You can smell the pollution. I was truly upset when we left Sydney because I have always had plans to live in my namesake but after our visit I couldn't be asked.
When did you go? I've never experienced any serious pollution when I've visited sydney, the worst i've noticed is a light yellow haze on the horizon which is more visible in the western suburbs - which is where I usually go, but definitely not my preferred spot. Mind you, when I visited my relatives in Manila for two weeks I had no problems either and there is serious air qality issues there.

So how much of Sydney are we taking into account, by the way, in this discussion? if it's just the central area, then I would say the harbour, the views within the botanic gardens, the QVB and town hall, the opera house and bridge and the skyline are beautiful. There are some really nice old buildings in Usyd as well.

Darling harbour isn't beautiful, but it is dynamic and engaging, and I actually like the way the western distributor's bridges sit over the whole thing, like some cyberpunk futuristic monstrosity. The worst parts of sydney I would call boring, but not really ugly. Blobitecture is ugly.

*oh speaking of futuristic monstrosities, I have this "great" idea of expanding the monorail network around the whole metro using several loops connected by multi-storey raised stations. Passengers could switch between loops by getting off at a station, then going up or down to a different loop line. Sorry to derail the thread, ha ha.
Brudl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #82
PerthCity

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It is worth considering that only one of those pictures you posted doesn't rely upon natural beauty to enhance the perception of the city
Are you saying the built form of the city is ugly? I doubt very much that Sydney overall has 'uglier' buildings than any other Australian or English speaking city.
PerthCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #83
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 488

Sydney built form is not great, many of the tower are bland and unfortunately for Sydney it's biggest building spurts were at a time of the most ugly periods in architecture. Browns, greys and white concretes litter the city. Places like Hong Kong better disguise the earlier shite with walls of 80s and 90s glass. Sydney really would have been a much better looking city if the late 80s and 90s had lived up to all expectations.

Quote:
I actually like the way the western distributor's bridges sit over the whole thing, like some cyberpunk futuristic monstrosity. The worst parts of sydney I would call boring, but not really ugly. Blobitecture is ugly.

*oh speaking of futuristic monstrosities, I have this "great" idea of expanding the monorail network around the whole metro using several loops connected by multi-storey raised stations. Passengers could switch between loops by getting off at a station, then going up or down to a different loop line. Sorry to derail the thread, ha ha.
I really like your ideas, i too would rather see Sydney go all futurisitic with alot more of Hong kong and Tokyo. I love the Western Distributor and the Cahill, two favourites that contribute iconically to the moving and fluctuating nature of the city. If i had my way i'd have built more elevated freeways ... much to the horror of just about everyone on the forums. I would be expanding and replacing the monorail too ... something sleek and futuristic snaking around more of the city, providing another transport option.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #84
Dockside

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
one less ARROGANT Saffer in Sydney

anyway, shouldn't you be living in Earlsfield or Raynes Park in London.
And you call Australians racist yet you use a derogatory term for a white South African person...
Why did you feel like you where going to be mugged in Cape Town every 5min ????? It wouldnt be because the population is 80% black now would it, im guessing you are Asian ???

As for telling some one where they should live going by the colour of their skin and their country of origin, well you my friend sound like a racist by all counts...........

Anyway, have a great day in your hypercritical world.....

::::::::rant over::::::::::::::!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #85
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
well i can say the same thing about cape town...i expected more but was bitterly disappointed and i thought i was going to get mugged every 5 mins.
I couldn't agree more, that is why I left Cape Town 4 years ago. It is not a safe city by any accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoz View Post
I've also been to both Cape Town and Sydney, and in my opinion, Sydney leaves Cape Town for dead. I just don't think there is any real comparison and, whatever faults Sydney might have, I think it's fair to say that it's regarded as more of an "international" city than Cape Town.

As for beaches, Cape Town is well known for having water that's so freezing cold you can barely stick your toe in it (on the Atlantic side at least)!
I agree with you there, if I had to choose between living in Cape Town or Sydney it would definitely be the latter. The only comparison I made between the two cities was between Bondi and Camp's Bay / Clifton beaches.

The water is icy cold on the West coast but not on the East coast

Quote:
aethestically its top 5.

was not having a go at someone???? just making a point to Sydney that he says he felt unsafe in Sydney because the trains are rundown which is a bit rich from someone coming from South Africa. The thread is not about the people living in Sydney or Australia so ..........
You take everything out of context, put on your reading glasses mate and read each word slowly before you jump on your high horse - even better - lay off the herbals.

I said that the train leaving the airport for the city does not create a good first impression - the interior is tagged beyond belief. Would you like a photo to prove this ? You are probably used to this, I am not.

I said that I felt unsafe because we nearly mugged at The Rocks, thankfully a cop car came down the road and we got out of there (close to the oldest pub in Sydney). Also, waiting for our coach at Central station ( 6 in the morning) is not the kind of area you want to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudl View Post
When did you go? I've never experienced any serious pollution when I've visited sydney, the worst i've noticed is a light yellow haze on the horizon which is more visible in the western suburbs - which is where I usually go, but definitely not my preferred spot. Mind you, when I visited my relatives in Manila for two weeks I had no problems either and there is serious air qality issues there.
It was exactly a year ago (May 2008). The air quality was really bad. Which reminds me, during my visit there was an exhibition in a beautiful heritage building right across the road from circular quay - it was all about a vision for Sydney's future. It looked awesome and I hope that the city goes ahead with the plans. I also loved the model of the city and the restaurant on the top level - fantastic !

Last edited by SYDNEY; May 19th, 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #86
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And you call Australians racist yet you use a derogatory term for a white South African person...
Why did you feel like you where going to be mugged in Cape Town every 5min ????? It wouldnt be because the population is 80% black now would it, im guessing you are Asian ???

As for telling some one where they should live going by the colour of their skin and their country of origin, well you my friend sound like a racist by all counts...........

Oh now I get it, Swan is the local TROLL and not the sharpest knife in the drawer either I won't be wasting my precious energy no more - thanks for the heads up Dockside

Last edited by SYDNEY; May 19th, 2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #87
nOchAos
Happy now...

Likes (Received): 8

Seems the French like Sydneys Opera house enough to want to build a replica on the Seine

What a chic: French steal our sails

An artist's impression of the replica Opera House outside Paris

Paul Bibby Urban Affairs Reporter
May 19, 2009 .
IF IMITATION is the sincerest form of flattery, Sydneysiders should be feeling very flattered indeed.

One of France's leading architects has proposed a replica Sydney Opera House be built on the banks of the Seine to improve Paris's outer suburbs.

Roland Castro was one of 10 architects commissioned by the President, Nicholas Sarkozy, to come up with ideas to improve the capital. His design shows a facsimile of Joern Utzon's building beside the river at Gennevilliers, on Paris's north-west fringe, which has been marred by street violence since the race riots of November 2005. The plan tries to "plant some beauty where it is now mostly ugliness," Mr Castro said.

Utzon's son, Jan, said it was "flattering that people like the construction so much they think about re-creating it somewhere else". Mr Utzon is in Sydney to launch photographer Katarina Stuebe's book, Jorn Utzon's Sydney Opera House: A Tribute.
nOchAos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #88
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
Sydney built form is not great, many of the tower are bland and unfortunately for Sydney it's biggest building spurts were at a time of the most ugly periods in architecture. Browns, greys and white concretes litter the city. Places like Hong Kong better disguise the earlier shite with walls of 80s and 90s glass. Sydney really would have been a much better looking city if the late 80s and 90s had lived up to all expectations. \
Avatar, I know it's your trade mark, but shut up about Hong Kong already. Sydney is its own place with its own (considerable) charms. Are there beautiful heritage suburbs like Paddington, Woolloomoloo and Glebe in Hong Kong? Are there incredible tropical trees snaking up every street? Are there beachside cafes where you can sit and hang out watch your kids at the park across the road without constant traffic and crowded streets? A city is more than the towers of its CBD. Sydney is what it is, baby. Stop wishing it to be some packed Asian shithole where everyone who's not making a million a year is dreaming of getting out and coming to Sydney.
shaggers_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #89
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8514

That was not necessary. I would not say that everyone in Hong Kong who doesn't make millions wants to leave (in fact someone who works with me in my lab wants to move back to Hong Kong from Auckland).

Nothing wrong with defending your city, but there is absolutely no need to denigrate Asian cities in that way.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #90
broadie

Likes (Received): 23

this thread has turned into a cape town an hk bashing thread so a few insecure sydney people can feel better about the them self, comone sydney is awesome, no need to be insecure about it,
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #91
Galactic Ruler

There is no denying rentals in Hong Kong are astronomical but there is no way that heaps of people on low to middle incomes wish to leave. I wouldn't mind a bit more of the "packed asian shithole" Sydney does have its charms and if you read up I acknowledge this. While this thread is about Sydney I wont go on too much but Hong Kong has some quaint seaside villages out in the New Territories, beautiful and relaxed, and very rustic. Some beautiful beaches also out in the new territories - the place also has it's charms.

Sydney has an incredible physical landscape matched with lifestyle options that many cities could never replicate. I just think that for the most part the city development has been at odds between various councils and planning bodies and each LGA at odds with the next. The is no inclusive and broad vision binding the city. Much of the built environment asserts no role over the natural scene. For Sydney the buildings need to be extraordinary to compete with the natural surroundings - they simply don't do this. In some cases it's due to strict planning codes, in other respects its could simply be gutless governments. Architecturally speaking we have a richness in our historical buildings for such a modern city this is great. However, much of what has come since does little to inspire. Has there really been a building or project even remotely as inspiring as the Sydney Opera House built in sydney since 1973? Well I don't think so. We only have so much land left in the CBD and much of it is about to be squandered on lack lustre developments that would look more at home in Parramatta or Newcastle. EDH was an opportunity to showcase a reborn city with cutting edge ideas and design, sadly it looks as though we will be left with a half-baked legacy. Sydney needs to take every opportunity and meet resistance to change headon. We have an ostritch mentality and keep shying away from doing anything productive - blinded by the harbour and the beaches we are led to believe nothing is wrong and we keep telling ourselves the same things but everything is not kosher.

What I find ugly about Sydney is not as much the physical city but the wasted opportunity and ability of many to not strive for something better.

Last edited by Avatar; May 19th, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #92
Orara

Phillip Cox is correct to a degree, and over the years Sydney has copped a lot of criticism on it's percieved reliance on the harbour as it's saving grace. But to say that is a bit ridiculous because after all that the geography is actually Sydney. Like Canberra jealously bemoaning the Gold Coast for it's glitzy tourist appeal because simply it's located on a rather pleasent stretch of coast (now before the long range artillery starts this is just a hypothetical example). Cities envariably take on the attributes of their surrounds, well derrr.... I'm sure your all saying right now, but think about it you can never truly compare two geographical points with reasonable distance between them exactly. Although I must admit having that odd "where the hell am I ?" feeling more then once while in the suburban back blocks in various cities.

Sydney definitely is going through a different phase right now being pulled from to many directions and I feel to the cities detriment, as I've said before I think the brakes should be put on the whole Bangaroo development as I believe what is proposed is just not taking into account that this is a rare and new Sydney Harbour meets the city opportunity and not some 'Here's some buildings with water beside them' idea. There is only one word for this plan... lame... just the entire thing is wrong. Sydney needs a plan that firstly defines however elusive it maybe, what makes it what it is and what it wants to be. Maybe it is it's own creation and it is on a downhill run. Maybe I'm full of shit and a soaring glittering arise is in hand, but not in the hands of the present state monkey leadership...I mean government I'm pretty sure.

While Phillip Cox might suggest Darling Harbour is a success and I dare say it is, it's no thanks to that white steel pipe work that he so dearly loved and used adnausem. Build high and massive where you can I say but use sculptured and open vistas where the geography suggesses. You can have a vibrant city with both and Sydney does to a degree, working out the in between is the hard part but this is the major hurdle that the city faces and how it's handled will make or break the joint.
Orara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #93
[email protected]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOchAos View Post
Seems the French like Sydneys Opera house enough to want to build a replica on the Seine

What a chic: French steal our sails

An artist's impression of the replica Opera House outside Paris

Paul Bibby Urban Affairs Reporter
May 19, 2009 .
IF IMITATION is the sincerest form of flattery, Sydneysiders should be feeling very flattered indeed.

One of France's leading architects has proposed a replica Sydney Opera House be built on the banks of the Seine to improve Paris's outer suburbs.

Roland Castro was one of 10 architects commissioned by the President, Nicholas Sarkozy, to come up with ideas to improve the capital. His design shows a facsimile of Joern Utzon's building beside the river at Gennevilliers, on Paris's north-west fringe, which has been marred by street violence since the race riots of November 2005. The plan tries to "plant some beauty where it is now mostly ugliness," Mr Castro said.

Utzon's son, Jan, said it was "flattering that people like the construction so much they think about re-creating it somewhere else". Mr Utzon is in Sydney to launch photographer Katarina Stuebe's book, Jorn Utzon's Sydney Opera House: A Tribute.
bet it wont cost 1 billion $ to make. unlike the "refurb" of our one.
GOR@N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #94
powaqqatsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastadl View Post
I think Sydney is awesome. Couldnt give a hoot about the harbour anymore, its the inner suburbs such as around Kings Cross/Woolloowatever, Elizabeth Bay, Surrey Hills, Newtown, the old part of Pyrmont and Balmain that I love to visit
Some of those suburbs are excellent. Kings X "red light district". Newtown (King St) "hippies, alternatives and numerous cafes/restaurants". Surry Hills "trendy/bohemian". Wooloomooloo (or the Loo as locals refer it to) is somewhat shabby and rough especially around the train viaduct, heaps of homeless people converge there. Elizabeth Bay is a very nice area but very expensive and people can be very "snobby". Oxford Street Paddington "fashion boutiques" but quite pricey.
powaqqatsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #95
Swan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

oh dear....i can see you want to pick a fight again.
looks like my very first post (in other thread) hit a raw nerve with you and you've blacklisted me.
Swan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #96
MyFavco
Regular User

Likes (Received): 3

Sydney is one of the three most beautiful cities in the world. I challange anyone who has travelled to dispute this.

Love the Eastern shores and habour views.
MyFavco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #97
James Saito

Likes (Received): 2

What are the other two cities?
James Saito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #98
LAgreek18
BrizGreek18

Likes (Received): 7

There's no place i would rather live in than Sydney when i graduate from University!!! The Harbour, The Beach, The Bay, The Multicultural Atmosphere, Sydney has it all. It is far better than any other city in the world!
LAgreek18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #99
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Saito View Post

What are the other two cities?
I think New York, Rio and Hong Kong are all up there in terms of beauty, with harbours and decent natural settings.
Certainly Rio has an amazing natural environment far more extreme than Sydney. Hong Kong has Victoria Peak, which can look amazing, plus the harbour. New York has the harbour and what is just an amazing island in Manhattan.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #100
Dockside

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFavco View Post
Sydney is one of the three most beautiful cities in the world. I challange anyone who has travelled to dispute this.

Love the Eastern shores and habour views.
IMO Sydneys location is beautiful but the city itself is not.
Take 1. San Francisco, beautiful location and city centre.
2. Vancouver, magnificent location between mountains and the ocean but the city itself seems abit disconected and takes a back seat to its location.
3. Rio de Janeiro. IMO the most spectacular setting of any city on earth. A melting pot from around the world, some of the best modern architecture i have ever seen, mixed with all of the drama of the shanty towns clinging to the mountains, sure hard to beat.

These are just 3 cities that could easly challange Sydney for top spot.
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote