daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #1
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Shanghai from the Lupu Bridge

Hello All,

Last weekend I visited the Lupu Bridge, the world's second longest arch bridge (superseded as the world's longest in 2009 by Chaotianmen Bridge in Chongqing), with a main span of 550m. It is probably one of Shanghai's lesser known tourist attractions (I've been here over a year and a half and I still didn't know about it until a couple of weeks ago). Along with the Sydney Harbour Bridge, it is one of two arch bridges in the world that visitors can walk up along to the top - and unlike the Sydney climb, it is cheap (only 38RMB this month, or 80RMB regular) and you can bring your own camera - which I certainly did. As a tourist attraction, I'd highly recommend it to any visitor to Shanghai - the crowds are very small, and the views rival any you get from the top of better known (and more expensive) observation towers such as SWFC or the Oriental Pearl. Now, without further ado, the pictures...

The bridge from below. I think this is the most attractive bridge in Shanghai.

The structure underneath.

A demonstration girder, showing the internal structure

Yours truly. The elevator to the main deck is at the far left.

Posing with the mascot for the 2010 Expo, Haibao.

Like all bridges in Shanghai, the Lupu Bridge bears its name written in traditional Chinese characters.

The way up

Traffic on the bridge...

...and on the river below.

Expo Zone construction, Puxi side

Jin Mao Building and SWFC

Barge with logs

Neighbouring buildings

Barge carrying a piece of the new Minpu Bridge being built much further downriver

And in the far background, you can make out the towers and the incomplete deck of the Minpu Bridge

Various views

Lujiazui Skyline

Xupu Bridge, on the Outer Ring Road, the next bridge downriver from the Lupu Bridge

Expo Zone construction, Pudong side

The Chinese pavilion dominates the Pudong side of the river

Puxi Expo Zone, again

Looking upriver toward the Nanpu Bridge

Looking down onto the bridge deck below

Shanghai Stadium

Xujiahui twin towers above Grand Gateway Mall

Skyscraper cluster near People's Square

Expo Performing Arts Centre - looking more and more like a UFO everyday

Nanpu Bridge - the first bridge built across the Huangpu River in Shanghai

View from the elevator on the way down

I hope you all enjoyed. This is definitely one of the best viewpoints in the city, and I'd highly recommend the climb to all visitors to Shanghai. I'll be back next year to re-photograph the completed Expo zone.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #2
VRS

Likes (Received): 11688

just waow....the bridge its great also panorama too...
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #3
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1142

great photos, but weather sucks. the character of lupu bridge, looks like written by jiangzemin, former shanghai mayer.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244730

Shanghai photos are great indeed; very nice
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Thanks Chemist. Something unusual and interesting. Judging from the photos the skyscrapers in Lujiazui are quite far away. Any idea how far away they actually are?
Pansori está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #6
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Ohh cummon guys .The sky looks horrible .I know all of you will jump up and shout it is just fog and not smog filled dust but i will stand my ground and say again the air looks horribly dirty and everything is so blurred and most residential buildings look and m irror images of each other and none of them are even good .
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Ohh cummon guys .The sky looks horrible .I know all of you will jump up and shout it is just fog and not smog filled dust but i will stand my ground and say again the air looks horribly dirty and everything is so blurred and most residential buildings look and m irror images of each other and none of them are even good .
Some contrast adjustments and straightening of photos would have brought a much better result. Still these are very interesting and not very common views.
Pansori está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #8
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
The sky here looks horrible? Looks pretty nice and blue to me.

This picture is representative of what the sky actually looked like on the day of the climb. The ones that look more hazy were taken with a long telephoto lens (10x) which really magnifies the effect of the haze. But for a city of 20 million, I really don't think that Shanghai has bad air quality - I ride my bicycle several times a week, and I never feel uncomfortable due to air quality.

Pansori, Lujiazui is about 10km NE of the Lupu Bridge.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Hopefully Chinese cities can get over the smog problem in the near future. I think its partly down to the weather there too, not good for getting rid of the smog. In Shanghai i didnt see a cloud for a couple of weeks, constant haze, which was definately due to the lack of wind. When the wind came, excellent blue skies. However it was mostly hazy.

In that pic above you can quite clearly see the smog hovering over the city. In a smog free city the blue would stretch right to the horizon - there it doesnt.

Good pics tho.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #10
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

Yeah it's smog. But i've seen way worse. For a city it's size it's not nearly as bad as it could be.
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #11
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

It is not just the smog. Chinese cities have ae horrible collection of stacked up old appartments of 10 to 15 floors that look horribly ugly and each mirror images of each other .They just spoil the entire look of Chinese cities. I have said this on a Chinese BRT post and would say it again here .Those crammed up appartments look right out of sri lanka or keyna .They look horrible and there are scores and scores of them . I am aware the chinese government is investing heavily in improving environment and is working real hard on it