daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Randolph Tower | 45 fl | Res/Off/Ret Conversion | Com

Height:
Floor count: 45
Neighborhood: Loop
Construction end:
Architect: N/A
Developer: Village Green

image hosted on flickr

Randolph Tower by ifmuth, on Flickr

Whats the deal with this building? It has appeared to be abandoned for years. No street level retail (all boarded up) and the main entrance has all kinds of city violation notices on it. Why is this building vacant (if indeed that is the case)?! It's a gorgeous building, I'd hate to see it demolished.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...chicago-il-usa

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; September 6th, 2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added project info.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #2
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

The last I heard, it was being renovated and converted to condos. Perhaps that plan has stalled out due to a lack of financing. I'm not sure.

Here's an old thread on it that was archived:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=214583

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; May 20th, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Village Green was supposed to renovate it and turn it into apartments. It was actually a pretty good plan because IIRC there were ZERO parking spaces and a certain % of units were supposed to be "affordable."
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #4
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I think the building has been landmarked so the threat of demolition is highly unlikely
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM   #5
asauterChicago

Likes (Received): 1

Funny thing is when I was a sales person years ago (and when sales people could literally walk into any building downtown and cold call door-to-door) I remember going through there. It's was actually a really cool building and there were a couple cool "industrial loft" type offices in there. My building was right behind it, a couple of years ago they started tearing down an early century mid-rise next door, another cool street level building. So I e-mailed the Chicago historical society to see what's up and they indicated that 188 W Randolph was being renovated for luxury condos. The building next door was being torn down to make room for a parking garage.

They said it was a compromise, the original buyer of the building wanted to tear 188 down and build new. So, I guess it's better the project is stalled rather than have another historical building torn down to make another parking lot (I'm looking at you, owners of the old Mercantile exchange).
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Northsider

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

I walk past this building everyday (twice) and its embarrassing. I really wish something would happen with it
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
I walk past this building everyday (twice) and its embarrassing. I really wish something would happen with it
It really is embarrassing, at least at the street level.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
It really is embarrassing, at least at the street level.
even at the top...with all the scaffolding, thats been there for YEARS.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:37 AM   #10
ChicagoismynewBlog

Likes (Received): 0

Village Green did an amazing job at their rental property at Lake and Wabash. I have a couple friends who live there and I am in love with that building. I could only hope Village Green does the same to this building...it's too good to go to waste.

ChicagoismynewBlog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM   #11
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
even at the top...with all the scaffolding, thats been there for YEARS.
There are some other places where scaffolding has been up for an absurdly long time. It's a vexatious issue because not only is scaffolding an eyesore, but it creates a disconnect between the pedestrian and the street-level environment. If I recall, city law requires that protective scaffolding be erected if a building poses a danger to passersby below. Unfortunately, the law does not provide a deadline for when it must be removed. This allows building owners/managers who are either unable or unwilling to make repairs to keep scaffolding up almost indefinitely.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:35 PM   #12
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Yah its an eyesore for sure.. and the lots next to it wit da demo'd buidings too. As I recall this fiasco started back in about 89-90? when da city drew a TIF district that excluded 188 Randolph. A developer was in the process of planning a rehab and then, natcherly wanted to be included in the TIF. Da city refused and da developer put the building on the back burner. Then the city hacks er,, I mean inspectors came in and found all kinds of problems. Meanwhile the buildings next door over by der ;] were owned by a well connected fellow who made lots of doughnations to the right folks, he had no trouble leasing up those rathole offices to all sorts of city culterull organizations, and when he decided to sell, he got bought out by da city at a handsome profit. Meanwhile over der at 188 the lack of matnence begins to show as some of the terra cotta begins to fall and da city orders a protective scaffolding be putup, at the owners ex$$pense of course. So da poor schmuck goes banckrupt and thats when the Village Green comes in. Why they cant make progress is anybodies guess. I wonder if they know how da city works?
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:00 AM   #13
Northsider

Seriously, do you speak that way? It's annoying to read that block of horrible English (dis, dat, wit, nactherly?!)
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:40 AM   #14
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

You ever read any royko? my apparently lame attempt at slats grobnick.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM   #15
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

sorry not a good pic, just randomly walked by from over a block away...

Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM   #16
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

My barber (who is also a practicing attorney LOL) has his shop right across the street from 188. He claims, though I can't verify, that the terra cotta tiles are in very bad shape, must all be inventoried, and many must be replaced.

But clearly the project has stalled.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #17
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Meanwhile over der at 188 the lack of matnence begins to show as some of the terra cotta begins to fall and da city orders a protective scaffolding be putup, at the owners ex$$pense of course.
Yeah, a few pieces fell off a few years ago. The owners at that time proposed to demolish the tower part (I suppose it's everything above 16) but that got vetoed -- and thank goodness, since doing so would've wiped out the old Steuben Athletic Club (the reason for the building) and its 27th-floor indoor pool.

Oh, and put me down as not liking Chicago accents. Not quite as awful as LI/Staten/Jersey, but still.
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #18
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1447

That building has been annoying since I moved here in 2001. I hate walking by that every day at my old job, all dark right there by the L.

Now I hate that my office looks right out at the ugly top of that building, with a sliver of it restored and bright white, and then that ugly green wrap around half the tower.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #19
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=34671

Developer seeks TIF district for Loop apartment project
By Alby Gallun, July 08, 2009

A Michigan developer is resurrecting a plan to convert a 45-story vintage Loop office building into apartments after the credit crisis doomed financing for the project late last year.

Village Green Cos. aims to rely on a mix of public funding sources to pay for the $141-million development at 188 W. Randolph St., the kind of risky project that private lenders won’t touch anymore. An earlier financing package fell apart last year after commercial banks refused to back municipal bonds that would have helped pay for the conversion.

...If all goes according to plan, Village Green would begin construction in early 2010 and finish the project in 2012, he says.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #20
Northsider

2012? 3 more years of this unsightly building? At least there are plans in the works.