daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #21
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
2012? 3 more years of this unsightly building? At least there are plans in the works.
yea, I wouldnt complain to much. at least we have something. we could be faced with this POS indefinitely.

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #22
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I support the use of TIF funds for this project because (1) it will create residential units downtown, helping the Loop trend ever closer to being a true neighborhood, and (2) the building has historical value and will look beautiful when fully restored.
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #23
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder13.article

Tower seeks public financing
20% of landmark would be set aside as lower-rent units

January 13, 2010
DAVID ROEDER

Partially masked by nets and scaffolding for months, the Jazz Age skyscraper at 188 W. Randolph looks like a wounded veteran of the real estate crash. To restart its renovation, the owners are in hot pursuit of public financing.

...The office building would be converted to 310 apartments, Barnes said. Village Green will occupy lower-floor commercial space, turning it into its Chicago regional office.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #24
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Mmm... TIF, the private-public cure-all.
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #25
spyguy
Expert

http://interactive.chicagobusiness.c...eline/private/

2010/01/27 Randolph Tower City Apartments 45-story, 313-unit apartment tower conversion, $141 million 188 W Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60601-3109, US Cook Est. Start Date: June 2010
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #26
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^Groovy. This building has become an eyesore and will look wondrous after its make-over.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; February 13th, 2010 at 12:17 AM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #27
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Isn't there an empty lot on the east side of this building? A couple of nondescript 4 storey loft buildings were demolished that were being subleased to the state at some crazy high rent paid to a political operative. What is planned for that site? I guess it would be like 176 or 180 West Randolph.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #28
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Parking lot? :-p

kidding, just kidding! (god I hope not!)
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #29
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I walked by there this morning to take a look. There's about 100 feet of frontage between this building and the State of IL building. It's all been cleared, and there's newish-looking green fencing to save people from falling into the pit. You could easily build 7 stories up, using the full width of the property, before you reach the side windows on 188WR. I did not see any posted signs of "things to come."
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:19 AM   #30
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

If I recall, the agreement with the city was that the developer had X number of years to develop those parcels before having to turn the land back over to the city, or something to that effect.

Of course, I'm sure the developer had no idea that the worst economic depression in recent history was just around the corner. Thank God they at least landmarked 188 W Randolph...
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM   #31
CMillar

Likes (Received): 0

Does no one miss the gigantic metal hamburger that used to hang in front of the Burger King in one of those demolished buildings?

Yeah, me neither.
CMillar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #32
jpIllInoIs

^ No that Burger King is on Washington Street not Randolph. Actually it is across the street from 215 W. Washington I think.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #33
CMillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
^ No that Burger King is on Washington Street not Randolph. Actually it is across the street from 215 W. Washington I think.
I'm 99% certain you're wrong.
CMillar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #34
jpIllInoIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMillar View Post
I'm 99% certain you're wrong.
I recollect that there was a McDonald's on Randolph and the BK with the metal sculpture sign was on Washington. I'll stand by that.
Old February 13th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #35
asauterChicago

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Isn't there an empty lot on the east side of this building? A couple of nondescript 4 storey loft buildings were demolished that were being subleased to the state at some crazy high rent paid to a political operative. What is planned for that site? I guess it would be like 176 or 180 West Randolph.
The empty lot was supposed to be for the parking garage in the original plan for 188.
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #36
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

The Burger King was 170 W. Washington, now Ruby of Siam.

The lot between 188 and the old State of Illinois building was a four-story loft building that was used for some city offices for a while before it was sold to the developer of the 188 project. Actually, looking at old fire insurance maps, it might have been three different buildings that were wrapped up with that decorative metal fašade.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #37
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

I will back up that there was a McDonalds on Randolph.... Closed in late 90s.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #38
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...030910.article

Commission OK's redevelopment plans for landmark building
BY DAVID ROEDER

A city agency Tuesday approved redevelopment plans for a landmark building at 188 W. Randolph.

...Village Green also plans a restaurant and retail space in the building, as well as a fitness center and spa.
---
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #39
spyguy
Expert

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...inCategoryOID=

Community Development Commission approves renovation plans for historic loop building and supportive home for teenage mothers

Randolph Tower City Apartments

The CDC today approved a plan to redevelop the vacant and historic Randolph Tower in the Loop at 188 W. Randolph into 310 apartments, retail and commercial space.

The action recommends the designation of Village Green Companies as the developer for the proposed $145 million renovation.

Plans call for the mixed-use building, formerly known as the Steuben Club Building, to be converted into 168 studios, 98 one-bedroom and 44 two-bedroom units. Sixty-two of the residential units will be made affordable to households at or below 50 percent of area median income.

Village Green bought the 45-story office building out of bankruptcy in 2005 and will convert the 80 year-old structure into apartments. Plans also include 9,500 square feet of ground floor restaurant and retail space. Village Green will occupy 11,400 square feet on the second floor and turn it into its Chicago regional office.

Amenities will include a fitness center, swimming pool and spa. A social club will be located on the 38th and 39th floors, offering 360░ views of the Cityĺs skyline and Lake Michigan.

The Gothic-style building will have extensive work done to preserve its historic terra cotta fašade and other ornamental details and a gut rehabilitation of the interior.

The renovation will create a bustling mixed-use building that will attract residents and customers, be a major generator of tax revenues and preserve the historic character of the area.

The CDC also approved a redevelopment plan for the proposed Randolph/Wells TIF district. Creation of the TIF district will support the renovation of Randolph Tower and help redevelop other underutilized and vacant office buildings in the redevelopment area.

The developer has requested $34 million in TIF assistance for the renovation.
---

I was looking through old TIF documents and saw that the lowrise building next door (180 W) would have been transformed into new office space with retail on the ground floor and a small theater on the second floor, apparently for Shear Madness. Obviously that's all gone now, but the theater idea still sounds cool.
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #40
spyguy
Expert