daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #61
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Well, I think we can change this thread from "on hold" to "u/c" no?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #62
ChicagoBuilder

Likes (Received): 0

I think they should restore this building to its original intended use... a gentleman's club! I think it occupied most of the tower portion of the building.

I actually own a full set of prints for this building. I will try to get some pictures of them and post them.
ChicagoBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #63
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

This can't be converted back. It has to be used for residential purposes.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #64
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1447

They're sure going gangbusters on this building right now. A little army of workers, scaffolding and barricades up around the base, the fire escapes have all been demolished, patching on the outside and now large crane like supports going all the way up the main part of the building in multiple areas.

My office overlooks this building from directly to the west. I can see lights and people inside, as well as a lot of people around the roof of the building each day.
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #65
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...117518858.html

AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust Provides $20 Million to Help Convert Chicago Office Building Into Multifamily Development

The AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust (HIT) announced today that it has invested $20 million to help finance the conversion of an historic office building in Chicago's western Loop into a multifamily development to be known as Randolph Tower City Apartments. The project will create approximately 690 construction jobs, and all work on the site will be performed by union workers.

In making the announcement, the HIT said it had purchased $20 million of taxable bonds as part of the financing package for the $148.2 million, 45-story project.

A landmark in Chicago's famed Loop for more than 80 years, the Gothic Revival-style skyscraper will undergo massive rehabilitation. The completed project will include 310 loft-style rental units, 20% of which will be affordable to low-income households, as well as more than 20,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and office space. Extensive exterior work on the building will preserve the historic terra cotta facade and other ornamental details.

"This investment means a lot to the members of Chicago's building trades unions," said Tom Villanova, President of the Chicago & Cook County Building & Construction Trades Council. "The Randolph Tower project will put our members back to work at a time when unemployment is at record levels for Chicago's construction industry."

Stephanie Wiggins, HIT's Executive Vice President and Chief Investment Officer, said, "The HIT is pleased to participate in the financing of this project that will benefit the City of Chicago and its residents. We are helping preserve an architectural landmark, and bringing new mixed-income housing and jobs to the community."
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #66
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Developer Talks About Randolph Tower Rehab, Interior Design
Monday, July 18, 2011, by Mark Boyer

First, the good news: Six months into construction, Randolph Tower is on schedule and on budget. Michigan-based developer Village Green is converting the 45-story neo-gothic tower into 313 apartments, the first of which will be ready for occupancy next winter...

..."This might be the largest terra cotta project in downtown Chicago," says Holtzman, acknowledging the challenges and risks of such an undertaking, "but we think historic buildings are win-win for everyone." To help defray the cost, the city pitched in with $34 million TIF funding, which Holtzman says was largely to cover the terra cotta restoration...

...Instead of trying to recreate a historic look in the interiors, the developer plans to bring in a lot of glass and metal and other modern finishes...

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ior-design.php
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:01 PM   #67
ChicagoBuilder

Likes (Received): 0

Here are a few snapshots of the original blueprints. The labels on the mens club floors are very interesting. Most of the tower floors were "bedroom" floors. There was a separate womens dining room, bowling alley, barber shop, massage and rubbing room, silent room. Man if this building could talk the stories it could tell!

ChicagoBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #68
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Perry Duis's book Challenging Chicago makes it sound like this was the first modern health & fitness club in America. Founded by Austrian Charles Postl, it was endorsed by sitting president Teddy Roosevelt in 1912. I'll have to look up the connection to the Steuben Club, which was German.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM   #69
Lion007
Lion007

Likes (Received): 9070

Nice building.
Lion007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #70
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Looks good.

MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #71
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Very fascinating and unique..

Last edited by ChiSkyline; January 22nd, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #72
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
Even though I would love to have this torn down and have a 1000+ ft skyscraper put here this building is very fascinating and unique I wouldnt want to see it demolished. I would much rather see a huge luxury mall put here.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #73
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Whats with the ""... If there not doing anything with this building, might as well put something in it. I love the building & the way it looks but I would rather see something come about this project then it just becoming vanished..
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #74
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
Whats with the ""... If there not doing anything with this building, might as well put something in it. I love the building & the way it looks but I would rather see something come about this project then it just becoming vanished..
Did you not read any of the thread? It is being rehabbed into high end apartments and is having the full terra cotta facade restored.

For anyone to ever think of tearing this building down in today's day and age is pathetic.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM   #75
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Did you not read any of the thread? It is being rehabbed into high end apartments and is having the full terra cotta facade restored.

For anyone to ever think of tearing this building down in today's day and age is pathetic.
Dam! My bad for not reading every single post on this thread. Well anything would be better than to just leave it alone is all I'm basically saying.