daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2014, 10:08 AM   #301
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losbp View Post
Malaysia

Like this, at first you see sign with Highway Gothic
image hosted on flickr

Malaysian Road Signs by adriansyahyassin, on Flickr

And then you move a bit you will see a sign with Transport typeface
image hosted on flickr

And maybe in certain cases, you will see both Highway Gothic and Transport used together at a same sign
image hosted on flickr

And the last, they've tried to use SNV too
image hosted on flickr

Well Malaysia's font is random at its best though...
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #302
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Looks like Clearview is on its way out in the United States. There are reports that the FHWA is no longer granting interim approvals to use Clearview. This was probably as a result of a new study done by the Texas Transportation Institute that showed the performance of Clearview and E-modified to be statistically insignificant... http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12128.0.

FHWA Clearview Rejection Letter to Grays Harbor County in Washinton...
https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.atssa...o+WA-REPLY.pdf

Does this mean Clearview will immediately vanish from road signs? Probably not because most Clearview signs are newer installation and aren't in need of replacement however, when they are due for replacement, I would expect the new signs to revert back to E-modified.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #303
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
revert back to E-modified.
But why E-MODIFIED, when that was only developed for button copy which is antiquated and no longer being made. If they are going to cancel/ not issue Clearview permissions, why not right a wrong and make regular series E the standard.

Last edited by brewerfan386; May 14th, 2014 at 10:54 PM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #304
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Many U.S. road enthusiasts hate Clearview. I think Clearview is okay, it's just not much of an improvement over the E-series, so I never understood the urgent need to replace it.

The FHWA series and derived fonts are among the most researched highway fonts in the world. A highway font is much more than just a typeface that looks good on a photo or computer screen. It needs to be legible at distance, at speed, at night, in adverse conditions. Many countries think BIGGER IS BETTER but it isn't.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #305
myosh_tino

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
But why E-MODIFIED, when that was only developed for button copy which is antiquated and no longer being made. If they are going to cancel/ not issue Clearview permissions, why not right a wrong and make regular series E the standard.
Many at the AARoads forums believe the "enhanced" E-modified, which was included in the TTI study, is actually Series E with E-modified kerning (i.e. letter spacing). I think it's important to note that the study concluded that the performance of Clearview compared to E-modified is not statistically significant.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #306
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

That's a shame. I really like the look of Clearview although, of course, legibility is the most important thing. I had thought the whole reason for creating Clearview is that it was more legible on modern retroreflective signs. Surely it had been tested extensively against the existing fonts during development, and wouldn't have been approved if it wasn't better. It's hard to believe that would be reversed based on one study.

Funny, I just saw my first and only Clearview sign in California on a trip to Arizona in March. I didn't know if it was just a fluke or if CalTrans had officially switched over. This is on I-10 westbound between San Bernardino and Palm Springs.

Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #307
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

They've switched to Clearview in Quebec but in the best way, the numbers on route shields and exit tabs has stayed the old FHWA, thank god I mean wow, the Clearview numerals are fugly.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:23 AM   #308
myosh_tino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
That's a shame. I really like the look of Clearview although, of course, legibility is the most important thing. I had thought the whole reason for creating Clearview is that it was more legible on modern retroreflective signs. Surely it had been tested extensively against the existing fonts during development, and wouldn't have been approved if it wasn't better. It's hard to believe that would be reversed based on one study.
I think part of the problem was that many of the DOTs were mis-using Clearview. The FHWA explicitly said Clearview was only to be used for destination legend like control cities and street names. Clearview was NOT to be used on route shields, in negative contrast (dark-on-light backgrounds), in all-caps messages, etc. Another problem was cost. To use Clearview, DOTs had to purchase the typeface on a per-seat basis. The FHWA fonts were basically free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
Funny, I just saw my first and only Clearview sign in California on a trip to Arizona in March. I didn't know if it was just a fluke or if CalTrans had officially switched over. This is on I-10 westbound between San Bernardino and Palm Springs.

I think it was a fluke. Probably a one-time experiment of Clearview by Caltrans.
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:55 PM   #309
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Many countries think BIGGER IS BETTER but it isn't.
One of the things that struck me during a cab drive from Manhattan to JFK Airport is how HUUUUGE gantry signs with FHWA Series E actually are. The dimensions of Series E and the font size used are such that one single line above one single lane won't be able to feature more than something like 10 characters. Probably 11 if your focal points features i's and l's, more like 9 with w's and m's in it. Even when compared to other countries with signage based on Series E (The Netherlands, Australia), the dimensions of a simple focal point are huge, which is probably the result of a combination between font size and the actual Series E font. If you look at modern gantry signs on which Clearview is used, it seems to me that the Clearview font used is mostly Clearview 4. It results in gantry signs on which the focal points are represented on a more human scale, and the size of signs can be reduced accordingly.

In other words, I am not sure whether I consider Clearview a better font than Interstate, but I believe that the use of Clearview 4 on signs results in better-balanced signs than the use of Series E. But it also raises the question whether a switch to FWHA Series D on big green signs would be preferable? Maybe combined with changes to font size and kerning.

One other thing that struck me in New York is how widespread Clearview has already become on street signs. I am not sure how to reconcile this with the FHWA's statement in the 17 April letter that the narrower series of Clearview were not recommended for street names. In fact, I like the somewhat narrower alphabets on the small scale of a New York street name sign, as it results in more green background space on the sign, which in turn improves legibility. There was also a lot of Clearview on smaller directional signs (like these). Again, on this scale, I believe that Clearview generates better results due to its narrower strokes / more green on the sign. All the more so because these small signs mostly used to be in all-capital FHWA fonts. But there probably is a reason that New York has not yet dared to switch to Clearview for its big green signs ...
Old June 20th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #310
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5450

Indonesia is now officially use Clearview as the sign typeface as shown here:

http://kemhubri.dephub.go.id/perunda...tahun_2014.pdf

See page 122 for directional sign pictograms

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A
Losbp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #311
cesdb

Likes (Received): 7

According to Wikipedia, Clearview is used in most parts of USA, Canada and Indonesia. The problem with Clearview is that its not public domain or OFL, you have to pay a fee to use it. The cost is $800 to $5000 depending on the package.

The closest font I found without a license fee is Blue Highway Font, which still doesnt allow you to make modifications.

I am trying to find an alternative to Clearview in Google Fonts database since they are licensed with SIL Open Font License and allows modifications. Any recommendations?
cesdb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #312
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Blue Highway is imho a harrow rehash of the original fonts.
Roadgeek offers a better free alternative. Google for Roadgeek fonts and you'll find one of many free download sites in a moment.

cesdb liked this post
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #313
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

I've just installed the new Adobe Illustrator and designed new motorway signs. What do you think guys?

Please, ignore the unequal font size, different text alignment, etc. I am just beginner

riiga liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #314
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Imitating Austrian signs is not the best way to enhance roadsigns, to say the least...

riiga, Kanadzie liked this post
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #315
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Isn't Clearview recommended by the EU? You can see it on a few signs in Slovenia as well (although I'm not too fond of it).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 05:30 AM   #316
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Zvolen -> Zwolle in Slovak?
Old April 29th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #317
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Isn't Clearview recommended by the EU? You can see it on a few signs in Slovenia as well (although I'm not too fond of it).
Suppose you mean TERN rather than Clearview? As far as I know, there is no such official recommendation. But there has been a degree of EU backing for the development of the font.

This starting point has been blurred, however, by the fact that many of the TERN sponsors perceived the project as one aimed at creating an optimal font for dynamic signs. What works on DRIPs won't necessarily work on classic signage. So it is difficult to construe any form of European backing for the use of TERN on normal exit signage.
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #318
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Yes, I meant TERN. As I can see, it's been the official font on Slovak road signs since last year.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #319
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

A country that really needs to change font is Sweden. The signs in Sweden on motorways is so messy in comparison with other countries. TERN would probably be a good option to have a new signage that is really necessary.

OulaL liked this post
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #320
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Agree that it might be a good thing to move on from Tratex, but I'm not impressed at all by the use of TERN on fixed signs. Of all the 'international fonts' that Sweden could choose from, I would humbly suggest to pick one out of Interstate, Transport and DIN Mittelschrift.

Tags
highways