daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #41
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 4019

As a design student I find it slightly appaling that the Russian signs all use capital letters. The lack of descenders and ascenders in capital letters reduces legibility, because capital letters are less distinctive than lower case letter at a quick glance. Usually for the highways signs the lower case loop height for lower case letters is 75%(+/-) of the upper case height. For example, a lower case 's' is 75% of the height of an upper case 'S'.

Last edited by Major Deegan; May 26th, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #42
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

France and Czech rep. also use capital letters. I believe the Ukrainians do too, as are the Baltic states.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #43
pause

Likes (Received): 0

What do the Chinese and Japanese use?
pause no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #44
Major Deegan

NY Times reports that uppercase-only signs used to be a commonplace in California in 1940s:

Quote:
The original E-Modified typeface, shown on a road sign, was developed for the California Department of Transportation in 1949 by Ted Forbes, a California state-highway engineer. It was one of six standard typefaces used by the Federal Highway Administration.
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #45
Major Deegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pause View Post
What do the Chinese and Japanese use?
For their English-language signs Chinese use the same FHWA Series fonts that until recently were the official font family in the US(now being replaced by Clearview).

Quote:
On mainland China, the font has been adopted for use in signs on new Chinese national expressways, beginning with the Jingjintang Expressway, which uses the font for the first 17 kilometers in Beijing. In Taiwan, the FHWA series of typefaces are also used on English text.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #46
veteran
www.fotokosice.eu

Likes (Received): 573

Font 'Grotesk' in Slovakia

Old Czechoslovak font used on technical drawings and still used on road signs. I really don't like it We should use DIN.

BTW: In Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia & Herzegovina is used some fraction of DIN 1451. I guess it is VSS, or sth like that. Albania is using the same font as Italy.

Last edited by veteran; May 26th, 2009 at 07:45 AM.
veteran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #47
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran View Post
Old Czechoslovak font used on technical drawings and still used on road signs. I really don't like it We should use DIN.

BTW: In Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia & Herzegovina is used some fraction of DIN 1451. I guess it is VSS, or sth like that. Albania is using the same font as Italy.
The sign posted by you is rather old style, now we have newer ones (with the same font though), but they are already obsolete too since new Road Act was passed. AFAIK the newest signs use the same font too, but at least they use also small letters. On the other hand I haven't seen any, we have to wait until some new section of road is opened.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #48
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Deegan View Post
For their English-language signs Chinese use the same FHWA Series fonts that until recently were the official font family in the US (now being replaced by Clearview).
No "until recently" about it--the FHWA series are still the standard typefaces. Clearview is only an option, which certain states have chosen to adopt, for positive-contrast (light on dark) legends only, as outlined in this memorandum:

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/res-ia_clearview_font.htm
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #49
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
AFAIK the newest signs use the same font too, but at least they use also small letters.
I can't believe it, another country returned from the Dark Side of the all-capital signage... Do you have any picture?

Grotesk may not be the prettiest, but it is unique and it have its style. It's one of the thing I subconsciously associate with Slovakia
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #50
veteran
www.fotokosice.eu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
I can't believe it, another country returned from the Dark Side of the all-capital signage... Do you have any picture?
It is lawful since February 1st, 2009 and I haven't seen yet a traffic-sign with small signange. Before 1.2.09 on our signs was written for example "KOŠICE" and now it should be in some cases "Košice". But old signs are still valid and new will be installed on newly-build section of highways. And from 1.2.09 since today there were no new sections, so there are no new signs

Some examples of new style of our signs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
Grotesk may not be the prettiest, but it is unique and it have its style. It's one of the thing I subconsciously associate with Slovakia
I personally really don't like this font. I like "Drogowskaz" and Hungarian font. Does anybody know its name?
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #51
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Is there an official website where we can download drawings for these signs plus instructions on how to design direction signs to the new standards?
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #52
veteran
www.fotokosice.eu

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
Is there an official website where we can download drawings for these signs plus instructions on how to design direction signs to the new standards?
There is a link on PDF-file which contains all of road signs used in Slovakia: http://www.nrsr.sk/Dynamic/Download.aspx?DocID=276200, it is an official website of Slovak Gouverment.
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #53
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

What is the difference between sign IS 2 and IS 6? Which is used when ?
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #54
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
What is the difference between sign IS 2 and IS 6? Which is used when ?
All signs from IS 1a to IS 6 and from IS 9 to IS 14 are supposed to announce proximity of interchange or crossing. AFAIK their use depends mainly on local conditions.

One interchange is signed by at least two or three such sings (in the distance 2000 m, 1000 m and 500 m. First is usually IS 1a or b, then there can be mentioned IS 6 and the last one before the interchange would be IS 2. On the interchange there would be IS 7a or b.

But, now there is not a single IS 6 on our roads, it's new sign.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #55
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Austrian influence ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #56
yako
Infidel

Likes (Received): 7

Sweden uses the native Tratex, sadly only in capitals on highway signage ( I can only agree with Maj Deegan's assessment that it hampers legibility.) , local signage uses both upper- and lower case lettering.

Motorway sign;

Some sections of E6 in Halland province has experimental signs using both upper- and lower case (in the danish typeface, IIRC), tho I've been unable to find an image online. So, to the Swedish Roads Administration - bloody get on and change them all nationwide will you!
yako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #57
veteran
www.fotokosice.eu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yako View Post
Sweden uses the native Tratex, sadly only in capitals on highway signage
Well, maybe Swedish designers are not able to find Caps Lock button
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #58
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by yako View Post
Some sections of E6 in Halland province has experimental signs using both upper- and lower case (in the danish typeface, IIRC), tho I've been unable to find an image online.
Here is one. I like these signs, too, but don't think they'll be implemented in other parts of Sweden in the near future. They have been used in Halland since 1994, without any sign of expansion to other provinces. If I understand correctly, the use of Danish signs was a local initiative rather than the Swedish central authorities experimenting for a possible nationwide impletation.

Old May 31st, 2009, 01:21 AM   #59
architect77

The large diagrammatical arrows only serve as initial warning of impending split, and are followed by lane specific signage.
architect77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:22 AM   #60
Matchut

Likes (Received): 6

Wuhuang Expressway signage (Mainland China)

Last edited by Matchut; May 31st, 2009 at 03:31 AM.
Matchut no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways