daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which City
Berlin 35 11.40%
Birmingham 27 8.79%
Brussles 24 7.82%
Leeds 31 10.10%
Liverpool 28 9.12%
Manchester 12 3.91%
Milan 22 7.17%
The Hague 76 24.76%
Valencia 21 6.84%
Vienna 31 10.10%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 30th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #241
van heckler

Likes (Received): 675

Birmingham

van heckler no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #242
Haagse Dave

Likes (Received): 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysony View Post
It's nothing to do with the poll, the poll is wank anyway people are just voting on how many buildings there are on the skyline and not what they are, amsterdam owns the hague but it isnt at the top because theres not as many buildings and thats what people go on because to be fair birmingham has no skyline if you demolish the 1960s crap, and if anyone hasnt notice 60% of the birmingham skyline is council flats?
You are full of shit. Amsterdam owns The Hague? Wake up boy!

Totaal aantal inwoners Stadsgewest Haaglanden: 1.098.666 inw.

Den Haag, Wereldstad aan Zee.
Haagse Dave no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #243
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Please guys. Jaysony is a little child who's got a reputation on the UK forums for being an un-educated troll. Over there people go on threads just to wind him up so they can laugh at what response he will come up with. He likes to contradict himself and seems to have a bit of an inferiority complex regarding cities bigger, more important and generally better then Leeds.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #244
Ecological
BANNED

Quote:
Haha, Manchester Owns Birmingham all over, Birmingham skyline is a peace of shit no matter what you say i would rather have the skyline of Leeds than the skyline of birmingham, liverpool is better than birmingham too so you got all three cities what own it for the 2nd largest UK city and having a skyline like it does is a discrace, all them old office blocks and them tacky apartments its just not doing it for me,Leeds has big student towers because its the city with the most students in give Leeds 10 years when its built the real office blocks and the tall apartments, and its not like the student towers are slap bang in the centre of Leeds and in one area it has better advantage than birmingham in my opinion.
Obviously Birminghams skyline is shit. I mean look at those pictures above. Its terrible. How can 3 cities own it for the 2nd largest UK city though? Dont those go on statistics such as population and area? Thats more fact then oppinion mate.

All of Birmingham talls are horrific I must agree. There is nothing about them which comes close to Leeds student accomodation.

The council need to pull thier fingers out and start giving us some more concrete red and black lego buildings like Leeds.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #245
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Please guys. Jaysony is a little child who's got a reputation on the UK forums for being an un-educated troll. Over there people go on threads just to wind him up so they can laugh at what response he will come up with. He likes to contradict himself and seems to have a bit of an inferiority complex regarding cities bigger, more important and generally better then Leeds.
You've hit the nail on the head there Egological,and he's good for a laugh,laugh at that is.

Quote:
Leeds might have a shit skyline
They're your words,I hadn't been commenting on Leeds for days so it's obvious to everyone you briefly spoke your true opinion, and yes they match my opinion also.
Paul D no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #246
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Obviously Birminghams skyline is shit. I mean look at those pictures above. Its terrible. How can 3 cities own it for the 2nd largest UK city though? Dont those go on statistics such as population and area? Thats more fact then oppinion mate.

All of Birmingham talls are horrific I must agree. There is nothing about them which comes close to Leeds student accomodation.

The council need to pull thier fingers out and start giving us some more concrete red and black lego buildings like Leeds.
Itīs also a fact that most of the "high-rise" buildings in Birmingham are ugly 60s tower blocks. Leeds doesnīt impress very much either. Liverpool on the other hand looks classy.
Mr Bricks no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #247
KAZAN RESIDENT

Likes (Received): 12281

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10123 View Post
Out of curiosity, whyd you choose birmingham?
Because it has more highrises than another cities in list
KAZAN RESIDENT no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #248
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Birmingham
- 7 towers of 100m+
- 13 towers of 80 - 100m
- 1 tower u/c of 100m+
- 8 towers proposed of 100m+

The Hague
- 4 towers of 100m+
- 3 towers of 80 - 100m
- 5 towers u/c of 100m+
- 1 towers proposed of 100m+

Berlin
- 10 towers of 100m+
- 9 towers of 80 - 100m
- 1 tower u/c of 100m+
- 4 towers proposed of 100m+

Amsterdam
- 7 towers of 100m+
- 14 towers of 80 - 100m
- 0 towers u/c of 100m+
- 1 tower proposed of 100m+
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #249
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Itīs also a fact that most of the "high-rise" buildings in Birmingham are ugly 60s tower blocks. Leeds doesnīt impress very much either. Liverpool on the other hand looks classy.
There are only 3 60s tower blocks in Birmingham city centre and one is shortly to be demolished as part of the redevelopment of New Street Station. The other two (The Sentinals are good quality and have been renovated into apartments rather than council flats as they were originally built for. There are however a few office blocks that date from the 60s and 70s a slight difference but a difference nontheless.
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #250
Conor

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Liverpool only looks good because of that waterfront it makes a big impact on a skyline with waters in front of a skyline and every tall building in liverpool is feet away from each other on the same road? giving it a long appearance, it only looks good from the waterfront and no where else, if it was an inland city it would look truley shit
[IMG]http://i36.************/4udwdt.jpg[/IMG]

So technically, that pic is now terrible because there is no waterfront? I personally think it looks even better.

[IMG]http://i38.************/2efuzxi.jpg[/IMG]

^ If you fins a pic of Leeds more impressive than that, I'll accept that it has a better skyline.

Last edited by Conor; October 30th, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Conor no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #251
Ecological
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Despite having many 60's tower blocks on the OUTSKIRTS of the city, Birmingham city centre itself has very few. I was replying to this when my comp froze and Telford beat me to it. Birmingham City Council have been on a bit of a warpath removing them from the skyline and I think already over 180 have gone.

The ones in the city centre are being renovated if not replaced with much newer replacements. Such as Natwest OFFICE block which is being replaced by British Lands 165m Colmore Row to name but one.

Birmingham has a great topography. It sits on a limestone ridge within a historic forest. Some nasty buildings survive on the city but they are majorly outnumbered by new developments.

It is also the only city in the UK outside London to have a 200m proposal. Not one BUT TWO. The 4 white blocks you see in these pictures are actually part of a major mixed use development which have shown a tower plus 150m.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #252
jaysony
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
If you really want to know the truth, i get a kick and a good laugh out of dissing other cities because theres always one who will comes back with loads of shit, its laughable Its okay making out im a child but the way people come back is hilarious! for making me laugh i really do laugh hard the only thing is like non of these cities really appeal a good skyline lets be honest lets face it birminghams skyline is shit! lol!!!! Look at it can some one edit out the council flats and them horrible 1960s buildings in the centre lol! birminghams skyline is like Leeds little london

Last edited by jaysony; October 30th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
jaysony no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #253
jaysony
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
[IMG]http://i36.************/4udwdt.jpg[/IMG]

So technically, that pic is now terrible because there is no waterfront? I personally think it looks even better.

[IMG]http://i38.************/2efuzxi.jpg[/IMG]

^ If you fins a pic of Leeds more impressive than that, I'll accept that it has a better skyline.
mate there all in a ******* line lmao its a pile of shit when stood near them don't get me wrong it does look nice from there but take alook around liverpool its skyline is next to wasteland lol photos lie
jaysony no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #254
Ecological
BANNED

Quote:
If you really want to know the truth, i get a kick and a good laugh out of dissing other cities because theres always one who will comes back with loads of shit, its laughable Its okay making out im a child but the way people come back is hilarious! for making me laugh i really do laugh hard the only thing is like non of these cities really appeal a good skyline lets be honest lets face it birminghams skyline is shit! lol!!!! Look at it can some one edit out the council flats and them horrible 1960s buildings in the centre lol!
To much Lambrini for you me thinks

Old October 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #255
jaysony
BANNED

Quote:
To much Lambrini for you me thinks

Thanks lads
jaysony no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #256
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 4

Gotta agree with you about jaysony, although they don't all look like that in Leeds.
bobalania no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #257
jaysony
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalania View Post
Gotta agree with you about jaysony, although they don't all look like that in Leeds.
mate wheres them photos you promised of sexy Tside Might sound stupid but the guy in the middle of that photo secound from the left lives in brid, Uster know him
jaysony no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #258
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 4

Keep Checking the Teesside Sub-forum, haven't had chance to get out and get them yet, but will put them on here too.
bobalania no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #259
jaysony
BANNED

okay mate,
jaysony no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #260
Haagse Dave

Likes (Received): 599

Quote:
I will remember that.

Totaal aantal inwoners Stadsgewest Haaglanden: 1.098.666 inw.

Den Haag, Wereldstad aan Zee.
Haagse Dave no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
europe, skyline, the hague, vienna