daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which City
Berlin 35 11.40%
Birmingham 27 8.79%
Brussles 24 7.82%
Leeds 31 10.10%
Liverpool 28 9.12%
Manchester 12 3.91%
Milan 22 7.17%
The Hague 76 24.76%
Valencia 21 6.84%
Vienna 31 10.10%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #161
Nando_ros

Likes (Received): 25959

Potsdamer Platz - Berlin

[IMG]http://i33.************/1z3uyj5.jpg[/IMG]
Nando_ros no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #162
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
The Hague wins this title.
Yeah but you would say that . I think none of the other cities in this poll beat Birmingham for variety and density at least although Berlin's Fernsehturm is my favourite tall building in any of these cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAfiK_248 View Post
has this been posted before? not sure

by cackspanner from castle bromwich! immense

image hosted on flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
One from Oaklands Rec

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
Not sure if people have come across this, but worth a pearoast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brums'grove View Post
1 from earlier. Not really skyline but does contain a few of our tallest.

image hosted on flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brums'grove View Post
This is a beauty shame it isn't more up to date.

http://www.naikidbydesign.co.uk/imag...gham%20Pan.jpg
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #163
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 802

Birmingham's skyline is great and definitely has potential to improve. My personal favourite '2nd tier' skyline for density and variety in architecture, as said above.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #164
LoveTheCity
LS17

Likes (Received): 80

Now, I'm not just saying it because I'm from Leeds, but.. Personally, I think that Leeds has got the best skyline in the UK. I'm not trying to say that our buildings are of the highest quality, but in terms of composition I think we are certainly up there. Just drive down the M621 from Manchester and see the view. Or up the M1 from south, Stunning views!

Manchester has amazing architecture and top build quality, but the skyline is too spread out and the talls are not clustered enough, and on pretty much all of the pics the Beetham sticks out like a lonely sore thumb. If Manchester was clustered I think it would be a very good skyline.

Birmingham has certainly got a good mix of tall buildings but most of Birminghams buildings are also of a low quality, or are so old they don't give a sense of wealth that would be associated with a large skyline, most of which I would say need to be started over.

Liverpool certainly has a good skyline, but I think this is mainly due to its waterfront location. I think that if Liverpools buildings were put in an inland area the skyline would look much more unimpressive. As it is a waterfront skyline it looks a bit stretched out, almost as if there is nothing behind the skyline, if that makes sense?

I'm not trying to say we're better than you are, I'm just giving my opinion on the skylines. I think Leeds skyline is laid out well and looks impressive during the day and night. It is one of the skylines that you can view from any angle and get an impressive shot. Fair enough a few of the buildings are of low quality, but which cities can honestly say they have no bad buildings?
LoveTheCity no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #165
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheCity View Post
Now, I'm not just saying it because I'm from Leeds, but.. Personally, I think that Leeds has got the best skyline in the UK. I'm not trying to say that our buildings are of the highest quality, but in terms of composition I think we are certainly up there. Just drive down the M621 from Manchester and see the view. Or up the M1 from south, Stunning views!

Manchester has amazing architecture and top build quality, but the skyline is too spread out and the talls are not clustered enough, and on pretty much all of the pics the Beetham sticks out like a lonely sore thumb. If Manchester was clustered I think it would be a very good skyline.

Birmingham has certainly got a good mix of tall buildings but most of Birminghams buildings are also of a low quality, or are so old they don't give a sense of wealth that would be associated with a large skyline, most of which I would say need to be started over.

Liverpool certainly has a good skyline, but I think this is mainly due to its waterfront location. I think that if Liverpools buildings were put in an inland area the skyline would look much more unimpressive. As it is a waterfront skyline it looks a bit stretched out, almost as if there is nothing behind the skyline, if that makes sense?

I'm not trying to say we're better than you are, I'm just giving my opinion on the skylines. I think Leeds skyline is laid out well and looks impressive during the day and night. It is one of the skylines that you can view from any angle and get an impressive shot. Fair enough a few of the buildings are of low quality, but which cities can honestly say they have no bad buildings?
I certainly agree with your opinion of Liverpool. There are line of tall buildings along the river and that is it. The city centre definately has some amazing architecture but most of it doesn't appear on the skyline.

I also agree with the things you have said of Manchester. Of Birmingham and Leeds though I can't see how any of the negatives applied to Birmingham don't also appply to Leeds. Their new tall buildings are hardly luxurious office space or hotels that you would find in Hong Kong, New York or London. By virtue of number and density and slight quality because we don't have Opal I think Birmingham beats Leeds.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #166
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
Yeah but you would say that . I think none of the other cities in this poll beat Birmingham for variety and density at least although Berlin's Fernsehturm is my favourite tall building in any of these cities.
I made that statement after looking at the poll Anyway, The Hague has a skyline that is more dense than Birmingham. Look at Google Maps.
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #167
LoveTheCity
LS17

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
I certainly agree with your opinion of Liverpool. There are line of tall buildings along the river and that is it. The city centre definately has some amazing architecture but most of it doesn't appear on the skyline.

I also agree with the things you have said of Manchester. Of Birmingham and Leeds though I can't see how any of the negatives applied to Birmingham don't also appply to Leeds. Their new tall buildings are hardly luxurious office space or hotels that you would find in Hong Kong, New York or London. By virtue of number and density and slight quality because we don't have Opal I think Birmingham beats Leeds.
I'm not saying they don't apply, I infact agree with you that both of them have bad quality architecture. I said in my first post that I am in no way trying to say that Leeds has better quality architecture, Just that I feel Leeds has a very good composition to the skyline, which can be viewed from all angles. I completely agree that Leeds has some buildings which aren't the best of quality. Unfortunatly though, we do have Opal, which I think brings the rest of the buildings down. If Opal was actually something to look at Leeds wouldn't be as bad as people make out to be.

I'm glad you agree with my views on Liverpool and Manchester though, I felt as though I was going to get linched because of my views!
LoveTheCity no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #168
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 905

My favs out of those cities (with others in parentheses)

(Benidorm)
- Liverpool
- The Hague
(Vilnius)
(Barcelona)
- Vienna
- Brussels
(Oslo)
- Birmingham
- Amsterdam
(Kyiv)
- Manchester
(Düsseldorf)
- Leeds
(Essen)
- Milan
- Valencia
(Naples)
(Sarajevo)
(Cologne)
- Berlin
(Lyon)

Düsseldorf:

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickmann/349332522/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geronim...7622383580273/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/254060662/

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kBkJDKfoZI0/SU...ramabild+6.JPG
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #169
jaysony
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheCity View Post

Do you know what i was thinking the same thing Earlyer mate TO YOU

Last edited by jaysony; October 27th, 2009 at 02:34 AM.
jaysony no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #170
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Birmingham has more high rises but Liverpool has the density, the dynamism, the height, the history, and a waterfront that pulls it all together. It wins.
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #171
Oh?!
der Niederländer

Likes (Received): 88

Some pics I made a few months ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh?! View Post
1. Skyline Den Haag (The Hague)

2. Close-up

3. Skyline Scheveningen (part of The Hague)

4. Close-up
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #172
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 10979

Just a coupple more pics from Milan

[IMG]http://i33.************/258qddz.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #173
yoshef
likes beer

Likes (Received): 1195

I liked the Naples & the Hague photographs

heres one of Liverpool's waterfront with RMS Queen Mary 2 docking (by Sam the Sham & The photos)

image hosted on flickr

and a night time shot

image hosted on flickr
yoshef no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #174
xlchris
Not much

The historical buildings at the Liverpool waterfront realy look good!
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #175
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6714

Quote:
You've just voted here to say it's got the best second tier skyline in the whole of Europe,not a chance,you've not got the best skyline in your part of the country because Newcastle beats it hands down.It's not all about height,surely beauty comes into it too?
Paul D no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #176
yoshef
likes beer

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
The historical buildings at the Liverpool waterfront realy look good!
There are some lovely old buildings down there. The Pier Head & Albert Dock are part of Liverpool's UNESCO World Herritage Site, so new buildings around that area have pretty severe height restrictions placed on them, that's why this part of the waterfront is pretty mid & low rise.

Pier Head
image hosted on flickr

Albert Dock
image hosted on flickr
yoshef no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #177
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6714

Here's an image of Liverpool taken off the BBC website,it's taken overlooking a dock in the Wirral.
Paul D no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #178
jaysony
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Here's an image of Liverpool taken off the BBC website,it's taken overlooking a dock in the Wirral.
Liverpool only looks good because of that waterfront it makes a big impact on a skyline with waters in front of a skyline and every tall building in liverpool is feet away from each other on the same road? giving it a long appearance, it only looks good from the waterfront and no where else, if it was an inland city it would look truley shit
jaysony no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #179
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27207

useless poll, nearly as useless as the other EU-Skylinethread. Delete the poll and just post pictures, to let people enjoy them
In such polls there always some cities wrongly in the list while some cities are wrongly missing.

Best Europe second skyline
My first place is a accumulation of some coties, which are all on their own style and beuaty so close togehter, that it is not posible, to say, first one, second one, third one, etc...
-The Hague
-Liverpool
-Barcelona
-Manchester
-Amsterdam
-Vilnius

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; October 27th, 2009 at 03:52 PM.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #180
xlchris
Not much

The Hague
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
foto van 26/10/09

Closed Thread

Tags
europe, skyline, the hague, vienna