daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #41
D K

Likes (Received): 2632

La Kasbah Ait Ben Moro n'est pas un décor de cinéma, mais un authentique château du XVIIIème (attention : Dix Huitième) siècle restauré et reconverti en hôtel.
Un chef d'oeuvre de l'architecture traditionnelle en pisé qui offrira à ses hôtes le goût unique d'un voyage dans le Maroc d'antan.

Sur le fond, les montagnes du Haut Atlas et l'ancienne Kasbah d'Amerhidil contrastent avec le vert de la palmeraie centenaire qui surgit au milieu de ce paysage désertique.

Ainsi aurait souhaité son ancien constructeur, un notable arabo-andalous du XVIIIème siècle ainsi que le veut aujourd'hui son restaurateur et maître des lieux, andalous lui aussi…

La Kasbah Ben Moro est située au bord de la palmeraie, à côté du village tranquille de Skoura, à 39 km à l'Est de Ouarzazate.

La nuit, le calme règne sur ce domaine et les étoiles brillent dans le ciel…

۞ Moroccan Cityscapes & Images ۞

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Redalinho; April 27th, 2009 at 06:24 PM.

Redalinho
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Redalinho
Visit Redalinho's homepage!
Find More Posts by Redalinho
Add Redalinho to Your Contacts

April 27th, 2009, 06:15 PM #2
Redalinho
Modérateur

Redalinho
View Public Profile

April 27th, 2009, 06:15 PM #3
Redalinho
Modérateur

Redalinho
View Public Profile

April 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM #4
Redalinho
Modérateur

Last edited by D K; June 9th, 2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: No pics!
D K no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #42
Pirro
-Epirus, my homeland-

Likes (Received): 71

Kruja Castel ALBANIA

Hi evryone!
I'm bringing here some photos from Albanian Castels. I hope u enjoy them!!
I'm starting with the city of Kruja, (15,000 inhabitants, 35km from the capital Tirana) and it's medieval castel, Kruja castel.

This is amaizing: http://images.google.it/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Albanian hero Gjergj Kastrioti, Skanderbe (George Kastriota) Scanderbe (for the Turks) which defended the castle and all the albanian lands from the ottman occupation.

"Albanians belong to the nations who are older than the history, and the grandfathers of Albanians took part in the Troy War, ruled by Hector (...on one part) and by Achilles (on the other part)"
Maurico Druon- Secretary of the French Academy

Last edited by Pirro; June 12th, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Pirro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #43
Lariabian
Savage Blue

Likes (Received): 7

This Thread is amazing !!!

Regards.
Lariabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #44
69Ketchup
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Phanom Rung stone castle in Buriram province, Thailand

Located between Amphoe Nang Rong and Amphoe Prakhon Chai in Buriram at the right-turn on Km. 83-84 of Highway No. 24 and twelve kilometers further on. The well-known Prasat Hin Phanom Rung is on the top of the Phanom Rung Mountain. It is a walled-in enclosure, with both the door framed and walls carved in beautiful design of Lopburi Period style with Khmer influence. It is thought that it was originally built as an idol temple according to Brahminic belief.

Within the Prasat or castle, is the vibrant stone hall built in the 12th century A.D. The beauty of the main prang of Phanom rung lied not only in its plan, but in the vibrant stone cravings which cover large parts of the temple. Many lintels and pediments depict episodes from Indian texts such as the Ramayana, the Mahabharata and the Puranas

One of the lintels, the well-known "Narai Bantomsin", which depicts a reclining Vishnu, was recently returned from a museum in the United States. This 12th century temple complex has recently been restored and preserved in an attractive historic park. Enhancing the imposing architecture is the hill-top location which commands panoramic views of the surrounding countryside

Narai Bantomsin

Last edited by 69Ketchup; June 9th, 2009 at 08:41 PM.
69Ketchup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #45
Pirro
-Epirus, my homeland-

Likes (Received): 71

Rozafa Castel, Shkoder (ALBANIA)

Situatet in north-west Albania, 100 km from the capital (Tirana), the city of Shkodra is the largest city in north Albania, 150000 inhabitants.
In the background of the Shkodra city, the "Rozafa" castle rises imposingly on a rocky hill, 130m above the sea level. It seems as if iron claws keep it on the steep rocks, surrounded by the Buna and Drini rivers.

History and Legend

The castle is known by the topomym "Rozafa". The hill on which castle lies, is in the center of all routes. The German author Johan Georgvan Han has asserted that no other place would be as suitable for its construction as the one chosen by the ancestors who were well aware of this fact. The castle has faced the torrents of history for thousands of years retaining ancient and medieval traces which are inseparably bound up with the roots of Shkodra city.

Its legend, archeology and history testify to its early existence. The legend is about the initiative of three brothers who set about building the castle. They worked all day, but the walls fell down at night. They met a clever old man who advised them to sacrifice someone so that the walls would stand. The three brothers found it difficult to decide whom to sacrifice. Finally, they decided to sacrifice one of their wives who would bring lunch to them the next day. So they agreed that whichever of their wives was the one to bring them lunch the next day was the one who would be buried in the wall of the castle. They also promised not to tell their wives of this. The two older brothers, however, explained the situation to their wives that night, while the honest youngest brother said nothing.

The next afternoon at lunch time, the brothers waited anxiously to see which wife was carrying the basket of food. It was Rosafa, the wife of the youngest brother. He explained to her what the deal was, that she was to be sacrificed and buried in the wall of the castle so that they could finish building it, and she didn't protest.

The faithfulness of the youngest brother and the life sacrifice of his young wife are highlighted as elements thas acquire symbolic importance. Rozafa, who was predestined to be walled was worried about her infant son, though accepted being walled on condition that they must leave her right breast exposed so as to feed her newborn son, her right hand to caress him and her right foot to rock his cradle.

Inside the castel:

I plead
When you wall me
Leave my right eye exposed
Leave my right hand exposed
Leave my right foot exposed
for the sake of my newborn son
so that when he starts crying
Let me see him with one eye
Let me caress him with one hand
Let me feed him with one breast
Let me rock his cradle with one foot
May the castle breast be walled
May the castle rise strong
May my son be happy

This was done, and that is why there is a stone in the castle from which, even today, milk flows.

ather photos from Bardhok Ndoi

Internal ambients

The city of Shkodra

Now some pictures from the wonderful nature around the castle..

I'm concluding this long report from Rozafa Castel, with the hope, that you ejoye these photos, and with a great thanks to Barthok Ndoi and the other guyes for these wonderful photos!

"Albanians belong to the nations who are older than the history, and the grandfathers of Albanians took part in the Troy War, ruled by Hector (...on one part) and by Achilles (on the other part)"
Maurico Druon- Secretary of the French Academy

Last edited by Pirro; June 12th, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
Pirro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #46
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6225

Jiayuguan, China, and the first Chinese frontier on the Silk Road

http://business.missouri.ed

http://sunsite.nus.edu.sg

www.chinamotorhome.com, www.theodora.com

Gyantse

http://image05.webshots.com

http://kekexili.typepad.com, http://dilithium.org

and of course, Potala Palace, Tibet 656ft high and the tallest building of the ancient world:

http://sedgehammer.files.wordpress.com

www.wikimedia.org
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #47
Animo
I'm Watching You

Likes (Received): 158

Amazing! Must visit some castles (non-Disney) in the future.
Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #48
mtrpls
Confused User

Likes (Received): 2445

Castles of Spain:

http://www.castillosnet.org/spanishc...mapa_index.php
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #49
Sampei
melior de cinere surgo

Likes (Received): 2360

Italy

ANDRIA

Castel del Monte:

CATANIA

Ursino Castle (13th century):

AciCastello:

[IMG]http://i37.************/b7ksh1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/2jg1jzr.jpg[/IMG]

MILANO

Sforzesco Castle:

NAPOLI

Maschio Angioino:

RAGUSA

Donnafugata Castle
:

ROMA

Castel Sant'Angelo:

«La lotta alla mafia dev'essere innanzitutto un movimento culturale che abitui tutti a sentire la bellezza del fresco profumo della libertà che si oppone al puzzo del compromesso morale, dell'indifferenza, della contiguità e quindi della complicità».

Paolo Borsellino
Sampei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #50
fabriziocg79
Junior Tu papá

Likes (Received): 209

San Felipe de Barajas castle

This Castle was build for the spanish in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia in the 17th century and it´s the biggest fort build for the spanish crown in South America colony times.

Last edited by fabriziocg79; June 13th, 2009 at 04:25 AM.
fabriziocg79 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #51
syedahsaninam
BANNED

Likes (Received): 162

Castles in Pakistan

Lahore Fort, Lahore, Pakistan

Derawar Fort, Bahawalpur., Pakistan

image hosted on flickr

Balti fort, Hunza, Pakistan

image hosted on flickr

syedahsaninam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #52
Marcelo Olisa
Marcelo Lisa

Likes (Received): 549

What a wonderful thread! I am completely passionated for castles and medieval tows but unfortunatelly I have never been in Europe. The castles that more atract me are that from Central Europe. I love germans castles from Rhein River, this Hohenzollern that is here and so on. THe Czech castles are wonderful too ( karstejn, Krivoklat, Konopist, Bouzov etc) and that from Poland and Switerzland too. Wow, Malbork Marienburg is one that I wish to visit someday!!! I am brazilian and here we didn´t have medieval age then we have just fortress to defend our coast against pirates but not authentic castles. Some richs build castles just to live but it is considered fake. I am a teacher of History here and my little students feel enchanted with castles too. I will save this topic in " My favorites".
Marcelo Olisa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #53
Marcelo Olisa
Marcelo Lisa

Lampião, you are putting portuguese castles here. Then put too Montemor-o-velho and the castelo dos templários too. They are nice!
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #54
I(L)Bogota

Likes (Received): 1713

In My country, Colombia the Castle most beautiful is the Castle of Cartagena....
Is a other tipe of Castles...

horizonte más digno. La utopía se construye en la lucha por los derechos
negados. La utopía no es el horizonte, es el camino.”
I(L)Bogota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #55
Cardona13

Likes (Received): 0

More from Colombia

Museo El Castillo (Medellín, Antioquia)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #56
galzu

Likes (Received): 0

I can't get enough of all these pics! More please!

www.therandomday.com
galzu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #57
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo Olisa View Post
What a wonderful thread! I am completely passionated for castles and medieval tows but unfortunatelly I have never been in Europe. The castles that more atract me are that from Central Europe. I love germans castles from Rhein River, this Hohenzollern that is here and so on. THe Czech castles are wonderful too ( karstejn, Krivoklat, Konopist, Bouzov etc) and that from Poland and Switerzland too. Wow, Malbork Marienburg is one that I wish to visit someday!!! I am brazilian and here we didn´t have medieval age then we have just fortress to defend our coast against pirates but not authentic castles. Some richs build castles just to live but it is considered fake. I am a teacher of History here and my little students feel enchanted with castles too. I will save this topic in " My favorites".
Personally I didn't think that thread, that I started will gain so much popularity :P It's a pity that your students can't see all those magnificent fortresses with their own eyes. It's true living history. I was in Malbork castle few times and it's very spectacular. Also inside - almost all gothic interiors are restored (Soviets burned castle in 1945).

I think that visiting Europe is nice idea for holidays, think about it

Warsaw, Royal Castle

Castle square panorama

"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #58
Marcelo Olisa
Marcelo Lisa

ElvenKing,
Of course I would love to visit Poland , Germany, Switerzland, Czech Republic etc on holidays but I don´t have money to it soon. But I hope that I will be able to visit them in future. I like a lot to take pictures and I would take 1500 pics or more if I would be there! Here in Brazil we like so much countries of Central Europe because they are so romantic and different of all we have here. If you are polish , do you know that in XIX we received here millions of inmigrants from Central Europe and from Italy and we have one state where people from Poland, Ukrania, Russia , etc are majority . They have there Poland Garden and houses made of wood using a kind to build houses that existed in Poland centuries ago and that do not exist there anymore. See you!
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #59
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2551

Central Europe has much to offer, not only beautiful castles, so think about it seriously

Could you show some examples of those Brazilian fortresses you mentioned before?

In the meantime - Moszna Castle

Oh, and btw my father was also history teacher for many years as well as you
"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #60
Marcelo Olisa
Marcelo Lisa

Wow. Mozsna Castle is unbelievable!!! Like a dream made with rocks !

Tags
castles, classic architecture