daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #21
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Portugal View Post
I think that Paris, as a CITY (streets, buildings, map, etc), is gorgeous and certainly one of the most beautiful cities on Earth, but the lack of the sea will always be there.

The sea is THE thing that makes a city perfect. Ofcourse the sea itself it is not everything. A ugly seaside city, is ugly. But it's impossible to a beautiful interior city to be more interesting than a beautiful seaside city.

My opinion ofcourse. Some people don't give a damn shit for the "ocean aura", others, like me, do.

More: I think that Tokyo, Paris, London and NYC are overrated because their global city status. There are other FANTASTIC cities, completely tied with the first four. Not only in beauty, but in vibrance, in city feeling, etc. Some cities are even better, i think, because they ally that vibrance, city feeling and diversity, to the sun, the sea, the local culture, the beauty.

I think Barcelona kicks everyones ass
I could handle the lack of sea as long as I got the sense that I wasn't far away from it. And by the way, I dont really agree that the cities you've mentionated are overrated. There are bunches of nice cities around the world but those four are most definitely urban masterpieces. Living in a global city must have its advantages.

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #22
Camilo_Costa
I♥CWB

Likes (Received): 7622

Answer: yes.
Man, your photographs are just awesome.
Camilo_Costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #23
Daniel_Portugal
I Love You... Soraia

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
I could handle the lack of sea as long as I got the sense that I wasn't far away from it. And by the way, I dont really agree that the cities you've mentionated are overrated. There are bunches of nice cities around the world but those four are most definitely urban masterpieces. Living in a global city must have its advantages.
I think they're overrated because there are cities with the same big city feeling, and with other good things that these cities don't have, such as lots of beaches, lots of sunny days every year, a beautiful natural settings.

New York, Paris and London are simply huge and beautiful cities in urban parameters. They lack of some things that I believe that are essential for a city to be perfect. Ofcourse these three cities are gorgeous!

I think Tokyo is highly underrated in ocident because it is in orient. Tokyo doubles the population of the second biggest city of the planet. It is also the biggest center of culture and economy of Asia. It is for sure the number one city of the world. And it also have a beautiful natural setting, some good beaches, and a superb local culture.
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #24
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Portugal View Post

I think Tokyo is highly underrated in ocident because it is in orient. Tokyo doubles the population of the second biggest city of the planet. It is also the biggest center of culture and economy of Asia. It is for sure the number one city of the world. And it also have a beautiful natural setting, some good beaches, and a superb local culture.
It's very bold of a statement
Knowing the amount of emerging new megacities in Asia it becomes increasingly hard to say which one of them is (or will soon become) the #1.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #25
!conic

Likes (Received): 36

Absolutely fantastic, very impressive pics. Great work!
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #26
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

We are talking about beauty, so why we are talking about Tokyo? The japanese capital could be cool, stunning, amazing, awsome but never beautiful. Cool it's not the same as beautiful.

Paris is in my top five of beauty, a list with no order. I'm in love with Paris, and I'm in love with France, the cities, forests, palaces, mountains, rivers, towns, roofs... not politically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
In Barcelona there are too many banal buildings in the centre city. although the beaches and hills help make up for it.
Yes, great description. I always think that, I live next to the Sagrada Familia, and my building and the 50% of the buildings in that little zone are . But my friends and the common citizens surprisingly don't worry about that. And I can't understand them. I always say that Paris is Paris not only for the great palaces and monuments. Is Paris because when you are in the center of the city, you don't see ugly buildings, maybe you see simple buildings like the typicals that only have a blue roof, but these are cute too, and helps to create a great, urban, harmonious and beautiful environment. And that is unique.

I would like that Barcelona was not so damaged by the architecture of the brick during the post war. That's one of the reasons I don't think my city is perfect. But you know, the tourists don't worry about that either and I'm happy with that.
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #27
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Barca_ View Post
We are talking about beauty, so why we are talking about Tokyo? The japanese capital could be cool, stunning, amazing, awsome but never beautiful. Cool it's not the same as beautiful.

Paris is in my top five of beauty, a list with no order. I'm in love with Paris, and I'm in love with France, the cities, forests, palaces, mountains, rivers, towns, roofs... not politically.

Yes, great description. I always think that, I live next to the Sagrada Familia, and my building and the 50% of the buildings in that little zone are . But my friends and the common citizens surprisingly don't worry about that. And I can't understand them. I always say that Paris is Paris not only for the great palaces and monuments. Is Paris because when you are in the center of the city, you don't see ugly buildings, maybe you see simple buildings like the typicals that only have a blue roof, but these are cute too, and helps to create a great, urban, harmonious and beautiful environment. And that is unique.

I would like that Barcelona was not so damaged by the architecture of the brick during the post war. That's one of the reasons I don't think my city is perfect. But you know, the tourists don't worry about that either and I'm happy with that.
I think like you, it seems. The thing about Paris in my opinion is that it is consistently beautiful as a city. And for those areas of the eastside where clusters of tall eyesores appear (e.g. 13e Chinatown), there seems to be worse parts in other major European cities. And when you think you've seen ugly or dilapidated sections of the northeastern suburbs, there also seems to be equally bad or worse places in Athens, Barcelona, Berlin, Brussels, London, Madrid, Milan, Rome, etc.

I think there is more beautiful or impressive architecture and natural landscape in other cities. For example, I can look at amazing buildings in Barcelona, Berlin, London and Rome (both historical/classic and contemporary) that outdo almost any building in Paris. Yet nearby you will find very mediocre or bad stuff. Yet in Paris, everything just seems consistently well designed and manicured in comparison. It's as if Paris offers quantity while other cities may offer quality instead.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #28
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 736

Yeah, but the even sandy-white colour of almost all Paris historical buildings makes streetviews boring, especially in grey weather. The colours is what I lack most in Paris. From above this concordant whiteness looks awesome, but from street level - boring.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #29
Krika Kriminals
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

My top10 great cities in beauty:

1. Lisbon
2. Paris
3. San Francisco
4. Stockholm
5. Rio de Janeiro
6. Sydney
7. Barcelona
8. Cape Town
9. Rome
10. Montreal
Krika Kriminals no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #30
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 479

Paris is the ultimate city - no contest!
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #31
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244734

For sure, Paris city is one of the greatest cities in Europe, and the all world; personally i really love this city
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #32
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7094

Answer: NO
For me, Rome is more beautiful. It's a city, where history converges with reality and where all the time I feel sense of miracle. Prefect Hausmann rebuilt Paris at 19th century, making it more modern, but destroying the historic character of this city.
But Paris is nice city, no doubts.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #33
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Answer: NO
For me, Rome is more beautiful. It's a city, where history converges with reality and where all the time I feel sense of miracle. Prefect Hausmann rebuilt Paris at 19th century, making it more modern, but destroying the historic character of this city.
But Paris is nice city, no doubts.
But the historic character of Paris prior to Haussmann was rarely one of charm and beauty. It was narrow street after narrow street of stench and lack of light and air. Also, a lot of buildings especially apartments were very plain or mediocre at the least. It's not like Paris was full of Baroque beauties like other European capitals prior to Haussmann. I just don't think Paris had the architecture of Rome or Vienna before Haussmann remodeled it.

In any case, a lot of beautiful Paris prior to Haussmann remains, with many palaces, 17th and 18th century mansions, and Gothic and Baroque chapels, churches and cathedrals found throughout all the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th districts. In those same central districts you also have many apartment buildings from about 1590-1790, many on small or narrow streets that were not prime targets of Haussmann and which at the very least give a nice glimpse at what some of pre-Haussmann Paris looked like. Except back then those tall, narrow apartment buildings did not look as nice as they do today. Back then (1800s and 1900s prior to WWII) many central neighborhoods were not the yuppie, trendy, desirable neighborhoods that they are today. Now they are re-plastered, have nice shops, etc. but that was not the case back then for those very central places.

Lastly, you can still see a lot of pre-Haussmann Paris just about anytime you walk or drive between the areas contained by avenues and boulevards. Le Marais is a nice glimpse at 17th c. Paris and the only avenues or boulevards are those that contain it. Then you have Belleville, a glimpse at working-class 19th c and early 20th c. East Paris.

Again, I think a lot of historic Paris is preserved in many pockets throughout the City where Haussmann did little to no work.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #34
Deanb

Likes (Received): 684

paris is a great looking city

but i dont think u can call it THE MOST beautiful as there are many more, very very beautiful cities out there such as Budapest, Rio, Rome & Buenos Aires to name a few...
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #35
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6463

Definitely not THE most beautiful.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #36
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7094

I also don't like in Paris that there are very few green areas in the city territory. In my city (Moscow) near almost every house there are small green lands, where childrens can play near home. In Paris, it's needs to specially walk in parks for it.

Finally, in Paris, I understand that word "boulevard" have many sences. Famous Grand Boulevards is no more than a streets with trees. In Moscow, word "boulevard" means a huge space, where is large green area in the centre (with alleys, fountains, small attractions for children play; where peoples can walk and rest), and two road rows for cars in the each of two edges. Therefore, it's possible freely walk in the city center.

I think it's one of the negative sides of Paris.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #37
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5619

Difficult to rate Paris. My family and I, we make vacatios there every year, since I was a child...so maybe I've seen already too much of this beauty...BUT actually I would not call it the most beautiful city and not even the most beautiful big city... What Paris "problem" is, are all all the monotoneous Haussmann buildings. It can get to the point, where your eye gets really bored. Everywhere you look, the same... The big historical monuments and manicured parcs are beautiful and stunning. But not the surrounding that much...
Have you once been to Vienna, Prague or Venice or St. Petersburg? In the old parts of these cites you find such a vast variation of beautiful and unique bulidings right next to each other and the variation and beauty does never seem to stop. Your eye will always find something new to behold. And all the bright colours! Those cities are beauties...

So, not to say Paris isn't beautiful! It definitley is. It's just not THE most beautiful. In this regard it's a little overrated, think.

Last edited by Tiaren; January 19th, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #38
louklak NI
I love life

Likes (Received): 2

appiness of a family.

Last edited by louklak NI; January 19th, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
louklak NI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #39
louklak NI
I love life

Likes (Received): 2

sorry wrong thread
louklak NI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #40
Maria200

Likes (Received): 0

I don't like this kind of title too. Paris, for sure, is a beautiful city but not the most beautiful. There are beautiful parts ang ugly parts like every big city. I don't know if it's overrated but I think that more little cities are more charming, because I find them more "picturesque".

(sorry for my english)
Maria200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
france, paris, paris photo