daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Other discussions > Photography, Heritage & Architecture > Urban Nigeria

Urban Nigeria Cityscapes, skylines and urban photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #1
Håkønljzberg

image hosted on flickr

FIRST CITY MONUMENT BANK, WARRI
Håkønljzberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Håkønljzberg

CITY OF WARRI

image hosted on flickr

Warri is a major oil city in Delta State, Nigeria, with a population of over a million people within the Warri metropolis.

Warri is also known as a major port city in the Nigeria and serves as the cargo transit point between the Niger River and the Atlantic Ocean. Its history dates back to the 15th century, when it was visited by Portuguese missionaries. Subsequently it served as the base for Portuguese and Dutch slave traders. Warri developed as a port city during the late 1800s, when it became a center for the palm oil trade and other major items such as rubber, palm products, cocoa, groundnuts, hides, and skins

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Håkønljzberg

OSUBI AIRPORT

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Håkønljzberg

image hosted on flickr

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Håkønljzberg

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Håkønljzberg

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Håkønljzberg

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Håkønljzberg

STADIUM

image hosted on flickr

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Håkønljzberg

image hosted on flickr

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #10
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 88

With over a million people living in that city, somehow, it shows that Warri city lacks urbanity from the images above. I think Warri needs good housing development.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #11
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 3223

Very nice city.
BUTEMBO21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #12
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 9

nice i was expecting worse because of all this talk about the niger delta.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #13
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
With over a million people living in that city, somehow, it shows that Warri city lacks urbanity from the images above. I think Warri needs good housing development.
i think warri does have good urbanity compared to kano, ibadan, zaria maiduguri, onitsha and many other larger cities in Nigeria.
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #14
Nsukka
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
What? You must be smoking Crack or something. That place looks every bit to par with Calabar in which is noted as possibly the most cleanest and nicely developed cities in Naija. Based on the way the news outlets bitch and moan about the Delta.. I was expecting to see a strait Ibadan or Kano like dump of a city. But no, Warri looks very clean, organized and freshly developed for an African city. It's very obvious that good money is being and or has been in the past pumped into that place.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Do they expect the place to look like Abuja or Lagos or something? I mean It already looks in better shape than Port Harcourt in my opinion. It's easily one of the most modern and cleanest looking cities in all of Naija.
Nsukka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #15
Nsukka
BANNED

Jennifer is proof that it aint just the infrastructure that's nice looking in that city.

Old May 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #16
yemio

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsukka View Post
What? You must be smoking Crack or something. That place looks every bit to par with Calabar in which is noted as possibly the most cleanest and nicely developed cities in Naija. Based on the way the news outlets bitch and moan about the Delta.. I was expecting to see a strait Ibadan or Kano like dump of a city. But no, Warri looks very clean, organized and freshly developed for an African city. It's very obvious that good money is being and or has been in the past pumped into that place.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Do they expect the place to look like Abuja or Lagos or something? I mean It already looks in better shape than Port Harcourt in my opinion. It's easily one of the most modern and cleanest looking cities in all of Naija.
You don't understand. The fact that Warri looks as developed as it does is the problem. There is no oil in Warri. Warri is the mainland. The oil is in the creeks. Those places look as though the 20th Century never happened. It shouldn't be Warri that should look like that. It's those neighboring villages that should look like Warri. Thus, the people in the villages annoyance.
yemio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #17
Nsukka
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemio View Post
You don't understand. The fact that Warri looks as developed as it does is the problem. There is no oil in Warri. Warri is the mainland. The oil is in the creeks. Those places look as though the 20th Century never happened. It shouldn't be Warri that should look like that. It's those neighboring villages that should look like Warri. Thus, the people in the villages annoyance.
The question is.. why are these folks living in the creeks in the first place? Are they a bunch of lizards, fish, snakes or something? Who in their right mind would live is such a desalet, restrictive location.. other than someone who obviously enjoyed ruffing it out? Humans are not fit to live in such areas, and so for those who chose to do so..then the burden they face is of their own fault. To do any serious hardcore development in that swampland would be retarded. Tell those folks whom you claim live in the past, to come the hell out of that swamp in which is fit for little more than pumping oil and gas out of, and come and join the rest of the world here in the 21st century.

Here in the US there's a similar story to this one. Here we have Ghettos and all the damn time folks who live in these ghettos bitch and complain about how bad it is and how horribly they're treated in these ghettos. Well, I and many others always simply think; "WELL WHY NOT GET THE HELL OUT!" They can go and move to some small town and get low income housing in which is in good shape and on top of that, there's usually plenty of department stores, supermarkets and restaurants within and or not far away from most small towns in which they could find work, unlike in the inner city ghettos.

Tons of folks from ghetto areas all throughout the US make such a move every year, while many others stick around their hoods complacently bitching and complaining everyday. This is the same situation with these Swamp dwellers.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #18
Samuel107
Nigeria Rules!

Likes (Received): 10

The "land of our fathers" sentiment wouldn't let them take such initiative.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #19
togiade
BANNED

Warri's underdevelopment is one of the cause of the recent Niger Delta uprising. How can a major oil anf gas city be so bereaved of modern infrsatructure. i think that people lack understanding when they compare the creeks to Ghettos. you need to go to school so that you can deffrentiate between home lands and ghetto. This insensitivity to our Niger Delta brothers is endemic.

Anyway, its good that the people of Warri have on their own grown this city to this height. Bravo. i expected to see worst sceen.
togiade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #20
charmingsamson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsukka View Post
The question is.. why are these folks living in the creeks in the first place? Are they a bunch of lizards, fish, snakes or something? Who in their right mind would live is such a desalet, restrictive location.. other than someone who obviously enjoyed ruffing it out? Humans are not fit to live in such areas, and so for those who chose to do so..then the burden they face is of their own fault. To do any serious hardcore development in that swampland would be retarded. Tell those folks whom you claim live in the past, to come the hell out of that swamp in which is fit for little more than pumping oil and gas out of, and come and join the rest of the world here in the 21st century.

Here in the US there's a similar story to this one. Here we have Ghettos and all the damn time folks who live in these ghettos bitch and complain about how bad it is and how horribly they're treated in these ghettos. Well, I and many others always simply think; "WELL WHY NOT GET THE HELL OUT!" They can go and move to some small town and get low income housing in which is in good shape and on top of that, there's usually plenty of department stores, supermarkets and restaurants within and or not far away from most small towns in which they could find work, unlike in the inner city ghettos.

Tons of folks from ghetto areas all throughout the US make such a move every year, while many others stick around their hoods complacently bitching and complaining everyday. This is the same situation with these Swamp dwellers.

Sorry to Interrupt in your quote. Do you know anything about Nigeria? have you been to Nigeria before.Do you know Nigeria have villages and town for those peoples living in the city. As far am concern you don't know anything about Nigeria so I will leave you with the rest Thanks you.
charmingsamson no está en línea   Reply With Quote