daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM   #21
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6415

Great tour, coming from an European I have to visit Chicago now. Miami looks great too, there's something in the air.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:10 PM   #22
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Chicago is something special. Fortunately, I was there during a very balmy October with brilliant blue skies.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #23
philadweller

Neither would I especially being a US citizen. I loooooove Europe. It's the motherland and I am so fortunate to have been there.
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #24
sky-eye
Zitterd veur ummer

Likes (Received): 731

Great thread!
sky-eye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #25
tpe

Likes (Received): 3071

Nice recap, philadweller!

Too bad I missed you in Paris by just a few days... Did you get to see the LaChapelle retrospective at the Monnaie? Delicious!
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #26
philadweller

tpe, no I did not. Where did you stay?
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #27
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
tpe, no I did not. Where did you stay?
This time, I stayed with friends on the LB, just across Île Saint-Louis. I assume you stayed in the Marais?

We should meet there sometime, if you go often. I'll probably be in Paris once again in early October, after a trip to Vienna.

The LaChapelle was quite fun. I am sure you and your friends would have relished it.

Last edited by tpe; June 8th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #28
philadweller

I stayed halfway between the Arc and the Eiffel, very posh but affordable.
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #29
tpe

Quote:
I stayed halfway between the Arc and the Eiffel, very posh but affordable.
Judging from the pix, I gather that your friends had a great first time. Touristy places are a must when with first-timers, but I think you did the right mix of sites and neighborhoods...

In any case, you've had a nice 6 months travelling!
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #30
philadweller

I spent most of my time in Le Marais. I love that neighborhood. One thing I realized about being in Europe is that the center of cities like New York, Miami and Philadelphia are a total grid. I love winding streets. Chicago has some and so does Boston.

In Philadelphia...Manayunk, Germantown and West Philadelphia have some winding old streets and I really prefer cities with winding randomly snaking streetscapes. In New York, Greenwich Village has the winding, curvy effect.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #31
philadweller

TPE, I will be in Chicago the first week in October. That is my annual pilgrimage. Been doing it for 5 years now. I want to live there someday but in the meantime a week every year suits me fine.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #32
tpe

Quote:
I spent most of my time in Le Marais. I love that neighborhood. One thing I realized about being in Europe is that the center of cities like New York, Miami and Philadelphia are a total grid. I love winding streets. Chicago has some and so does Boston.

In Philadelphia...Manayunk, Germantown and West Philadelphia have some winding old streets and I really prefer cities with winding randomly snaking streetscapes. In New York, Greenwich Village has the winding, curvy effect.

I love the neighborhood also. I invariably spend my evenings there -- usually with friends, dining out or hanging out at the restaurants and bars. And I'm a regular at Les Mots ā la Bouche whenever I'm in town -- for the French publications, of course!

And you're right -- there is the charm of meandering around in European and some American Cities... sometimes not knowing where you would end up.

I think this is especially true of the Marais, even though one can claim to know it by heart.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #33
tpe

Quote:
TPE, I will be in Chicago the first week in October. That is my annual pilgrimage. Been doing it for 5 years now. I want to live there someday but in the meantime a week every year suits me fine.
Oh dear. I do remember that the last time you were in Chicago in 2008, I was in Paris. And although I haven't booked my tickets yet, I do intend to be in Vienna and then Paris around the first week of October this year...

I would love to meet you someday, philadweller. I don't know if it will be this October. But who knows? I'll definitely send you a PM whatever I finally decide to do...

Or then again, in Miami? It's high time I make another visit...
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #34
philadweller

I'm flexible the second week in October works well too. I love that time of year there. It is very festive and crispy air. Find me a graphic design job there and I'll move....

Actually Chicago reminds me of London in a weird way. More so on the north side. Andersonville, Edgewater and some other areas which have that low density.
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #35
tpe

Quote:
I'm flexible the second week in October works well too. I love that time of year there. It is very festive and crispy air. Find me a graphic design job there and I'll move....

Actually Chicago reminds me of London in a weird way. More so on the north side. Andersonville, Edgewater and some other areas which have that low density.
I just checked the schedule, and I do intend to meet friends in Vienna Oct 1 through 4. And then a week in Paris after that. I intend to be back on the 11th (Sunday) at the very latest.

So yes, the second week of October would be very possible... if weekday evenings are fine by you.

Do you stay with friends on the Northside? It's nice to walk some Andersonville and Edgewater residential streets in the Fall...
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #36
philadweller

I usually stay at the Willows hotel right of Broadway on Surf a block north from Diversey. I also have friends in Edgewater, Wrigleyville and Lakeview that I could stay with.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #37
tpe

Quote:
I usually stay at the Willows hotel right of Broadway on Surf a block north from Diversey. I also have friends in Edgewater, Wrigleyville and Lakeview that I could stay with.
You actually stay close to where I live (I'm just south of Diversey, next to the Park.) Same with me: I usually prefer to stay on my own in a hotel, so as not to inconvenience my friends.

Was the trip to London and Paris to see friends? Nowadays, I go to Europe exclusively to see mine. Likewise, many of them come to Chicago to see me. So each of us gets to play host one time or another... Travelling is much more fun this way.

Also, do you visit Philly and NYC at least once a year (as you do Chicago)? I would suppose that you still know a lot of people in both of these cities.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #38
tpe

Sorry for the barrage of questions and for being nosey. I am just naturally curious about people's travelling habits. I admit that I've had crazy reasons for travelling -- like coming all the way to London to inspect a book before purchase or watch a movie with friends in NYC!

You don't have to answer the questions, of course!
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #39
philadweller

"Also, do you visit Philly and NYC at least once a year (as you do Chicago)? I would suppose that you still know a lot of people in both of these cities."

I visit Philadelphia and New York City at least 3 times a year. Both of my sisters live in NYC and I have a dozen or so friends in Philadelphia that I keep in touch with.
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #40
tpe

Quote:
"Also, do you visit Philly and NYC at least once a year (as you do Chicago)? I would suppose that you still know a lot of people in both of these cities."

I visit Philadelphia and New York City at least 3 times a year. Both of my sisters live in NYC and I have a dozen or so friends in Philadelphia that I keep in touch with.

I suspected as much. In some ways, I would think you've never left!

Many of the pictures you take are street scenes -- as much about the people as with the buildings/architecture. As some people here have commented, this makes a world of difference.

I assume that you do a lot of people-watching. I can see from some of the pix that you are also particularly "selective" of the views.

People-watching in cities is a fine art. I daresay that the people are just as (if not more) interesting than the physical fabric...