daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The longest continuous motorway journeys on your continent

What are the longest continuous motorway/freeway journeys on your continents? You can show a few longest journeys on your continent, not just the longest one. I think we can also allow good (4-lane) expressways and short interruptions (unless the continuing motorway is short too), especially when changing from one motorway to another by driving on a short 1-lane ramp etc.

In Europe (and possibly Eurasia, but I'm not sure about China) it's probably the journey from Bensafrim, Portugal (A22×N120) to Rabbalshede, Sweden, where the motorway part of the E6 ends. It sums up to ~3,875 km (~2,400 mi):

Or if we neglect ~30 km (20 mi) of E4 near Ljungby, southern Sweden (which is 2+1 or 1+2), you can drive from Portugal to Sandviken, Sweden, where the 4-lane part of the road #80 ends. Including those 3-lane 30 km it's ~4,285 km (~2,660 mi):

Let's see other continents now.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #2
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Interstate 90 in the United States.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

you dont count the pan-american highway do you?
in facto it is north and south america..
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #4
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Bellingham, WA - Miami, FL. 3,451 miles or 5,553 km of continuous freeways.

Or San Diego, CA - Houlton, ME 3,390 miles or 5,455 km.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #5
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
you dont count the pan-american highway do you?
in facto it is north and south america..
The Panamericana does not actually connect North and South, as it is interrupted in Southern Panama (Darian´s gap). Plus the query was to identify the longest all-motorway connection. The Panamericana is clealy not fully up to that standard ...
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Verso
Islander

No, the Panamericana doesn't count, at least not all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Bellingham, WA - Miami, FL. 3,451 miles or 5,553 km of continuous freeways.

Or San Diego, CA - Houlton, ME 3,390 miles or 5,455 km.
Is United States a continent? What about Canada and Mexico?
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #7
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

I think it'll be sth. like this:

ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Verso
Islander

I think someone is bored.
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

New roadtrip for Chris?

By the way, do 2-laned motorway tunnels (like the Tauern or the Gotthard) count as motorway? If so, ABRob's route doesn't count
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:33 AM   #10
wdw35

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
WTF? Where did you get this craaaazy map?
According to this, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Serbia... are jam packed with toll free motorways / expressways!
Look at the lame Italy, Greece and even UK how scarce their motorway network is!

wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:08 AM   #11
Verso
Islander

^ The map is very handy, if you don't need those countries. So, what about other continents? I'm not sure about Australia, there are abviously more motorways than maps show. Does anyone have an updated map of China? I'm really interested in other continents, but I'm not sure I can trust maps, they show anything at times.
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:02 AM   #12
MetroMEX
viajes, transportes y +

Likes (Received): 92

North America

Here are a couple of motorway/expressway journeys for North America; that is, using 4-lane expressways. I'm attaching a map of such journeys; click on the image and you can see a detailed map of the journey.

Option 1 (blue): From just north of Rivičre-du-Loup, Québec, Canada to Acapulco Diamante, Guerrero, Mexico. Approximately 5986 km / 3720 mi. Used expressways: Autoroute 20 (Canada), Interstates 87, 95, 10 and 35 (USA), Autopistas 85D, 40D, 57D, 95D (Mexico).

Option 2 (green): From Vancouver, BC, Canada to Acapulco Diamante, Guerrero, Mexico. Approximately 6134 km / 3812 mi. Main routes: Highway 99 (Canada), Interstates 5, 90, 82, 84, 80, 25, 10 and 35 (USA), Autopistas 85D, 40D, 57D, 95D (Mexico).

The red section of the route (from San Antonio, Texas to the end of the journey) is common for both options.

There are at least 3 more route posibilities that sum well above the 5500km mark.

Note: a portion of the route corresponding to the Nuevo Laredo Bypass, is actually a super-2; I decided to include it because of its controlled-access nature. There is a multilaned highway that goes west of Nuevo Laredo, but it has several at-grade intersections.

When the North Mexico City Bypass is completed, which links the Mexico-Queretaro and Mexico-Puebla expressways, the motorway journey will be much longer.

Cheers.
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:40 AM   #13
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10975

In America, it has to be the Pan-American highway from Chile to Alaska. In Canada, it's the Trans-Canada Highway which links the Atlantic to the Pacific. The southern route is 7,821 kilometres long.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sCanadaHWY.png

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 31st, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:46 AM   #14
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ The map is very handy, if you don't need those countries. So, what about other continents? I'm not sure about Australia, there are abviously more motorways than maps show. Does anyone have an updated map of China? I'm really interested in other continents, but I'm not sure I can trust maps, they show anything at times.
Australia is generally very bad regarding motorway. There is not even a continuous motorway from Sydney to Brisbane or between Sydney and Melbourne. Intercity is mostly two way with passing lanes. But certainly not motorway standard. Longest motorway stretch should be a few 100 km.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM   #15
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In America, it has to be the Pan-American highway from Chile to Alaska. In Canada, it's the Trans-Canada Highway which links the Atlantic to the Pacific. The southern route is 7,821 kilometres long.
Yeah, but it's only partly motorway/freeway
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:33 PM   #16
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Australia is generally very bad regarding motorway. There is not even a continuous motorway from Sydney to Brisbane or between Sydney and Melbourne. Intercity is mostly two way with passing lanes. But certainly not motorway standard. Longest motorway stretch should be a few 100 km.
The majority of the route between Melbourne and Sydney is now duplicated (or being duplicated) although not strictly to freeway/motorway standard because it would be unreasonable to expect every minor road and property entrance to be served by interchanges or a separate access road.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:05 PM   #17
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Nyíregyháza in Hungary is the easternmost point in the EU which can be reached on continuous motorways, so probably a Bensafrim-Nyíregyháza route can also be a long one...
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM   #18
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In America, it has to be the Pan-American highway from Chile to Alaska.
There is not even a goat track that gets you all the way. Look at a map and try to find your way through the South of Panama.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM   #19
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible View Post
The majority of the route between Melbourne and Sydney is now duplicated (or being duplicated) although not strictly to freeway/motorway standard because it would be unreasonable to expect every minor road and property entrance to be served by interchanges or a separate access road.
Yeah, that's the problem; I'm not sure I can count those typical low population-density "motorways/freeways".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMEX View Post
Thanks a lot, MetroMEX! I didn't know the Nuevo Laredo-Monterrey road was a normal 4-lane motorway all the way. Looks like there's some 30 km (20 mi) of 2-lane Nuevo Laredo bypass, so if we can neglect that, then why not just 15 km (10 mi) of the Canadian Highway 95 (by the US border), which is 3-laned (like the missing Swedish link). I think there's a continuous motorway all the way to Halifax then. Including those 45 km (30 mi) of ordinary roads that would be almost 6,200 km (good 3,800 mi); I didn't go all the way to Florida, but through Tennessee. I also think you chose a bit too long route between Acapulco and Vancouver; I only get about 5,920 km (3,680 mi) through Oklahoma and Kansas instead of New Mexico.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:50 PM   #20
MetroMEX
viajes, transportes y +

Likes (Received): 92

Your right Verso; and in fact, Provincial Highway 95 in New Brunswick is now a divided 4-lane highway since about a year and a half ago. Thus, from Halifax (actually Stillwater Lake, on Nova Scotia's Highway 103) to Laredo (World Trade Bridge) is 4.650 km; adding the Mexican section to Acapulco sums to 6.162 km / 3.829 mi. Naturally a detour would result in a longer route.

And you're correct stating that the shortest route from Vancouver to Laredo goes through colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma; I decided to the detour though New Mexico for maximizing the distance.

Cheers.