daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2009, 08:04 PM   #21
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Nyíregyháza in Hungary is the easternmost point in the EU which can be reached on continuous motorways, so probably a Bensafrim-Nyíregyháza route can also be a long one...
Viamichelin says it would be 3443km,thats a 1000 km shorter than the longets one presented here.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #22
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

It's quite a lot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMEX View Post
Your right Verso; and in fact, Provincial Highway 95 in New Brunswick is now a divided 4-lane highway since about a year and a half ago. Thus, from Halifax (actually Stillwater Lake, on Nova Scotia's Highway 103) to Laredo (World Trade Bridge) is 4.650 km; adding the Mexican section to Acapulco sums to 6.162 km / 3.829 mi. Naturally a detour would result in a longer route.

And you're correct stating that the shortest route from Vancouver to Laredo goes through colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma; I decided to the detour though New Mexico for maximizing the distance.
You can also go via New York then. Hehe, the idea is the longest journey, but in the shortest way (on motorways). I'd probably go from Acapulco to Vancouver through western Mexico, but I guess there's a 4-lane road between Mexico City and Nogales, but with at-grade junctions? Is there any accurate map of Mexico with real motorways/freeways? What exactly is the situation with the North Mexico City Bypass and what length would we get, if we neglected it? Great about the Canadian Provincial Highway 95, btw! Oh, and I think Nova Scotia's Highway 101 goes a couple of kms further than 103.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:52 PM   #23
MetroMEX
viajes, transportes y +

Likes (Received): 92

@ Verso: You can download free road maps for each Mexican state from the Ministry of Communications and Transportation website. They are updated on a frequent basis (last one was in October 2008).

Regarding the Mexico City-Nogales Expressway, the problem is that there are many "gaps" on the road, despite that most of the road is 4-lane: there are no urban bypasses at Hermosillo and Guadalajara; the section between Mazatlán and Tepic is a Super-2; to connect to the Mexico City -Acapulco Expressway you must go through a urban boulevard to reach the Periférico in Mexico City. Naturally this would violate the motorway rules stated here.

Currently the North Mexico City Bypass (in Spanish: Libramiento Norte del Valle de México) is operational from Tizayuca to San Martin Texmelucan (about 50% of the project). The section between Tula and Tizayuca, as well as a section between the Mexico City-Queretaro Expressway and Atlacomulco are still on the works; should be opened by next year. The total lenght of the project: 223km (mostly 4-lane motorway). Neglecting this section, the journey continues to the city of Cárdenas in the state of Tabasco (no bypass in this city). This would give an approximate total of 6.495 km / 4.036 mi of motorway journey.

Regards.
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:34 PM   #24
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Viamichelin says it would be 3443km,thats a 1000 km shorter than the longets one presented here.
and route to Leskovac, Serbia would be even few km longer than to Nyregyháza (of course, if Slovenia once allready build remaining 14 km gap)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:26 AM   #25
Bofter

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Australia is generally very bad regarding motorway. There is not even a continuous motorway from Sydney to Brisbane or between Sydney and Melbourne. Intercity is mostly two way with passing lanes. But certainly not motorway standard. Longest motorway stretch should be a few 100 km.
If we required fully grade separated, then you are almost spot on. Geelong to Pakenham is around 130km. This is currently not much longer than Gosford to Newcastle, however if google maps had been updated to include Stages 1 and 2 of the Geelong Ring Road the first would be around 10km longer.

If you remove the requirement for grade separation and instead require only full access control (which is all the freeway definition in Victoria requires), then you can stretch out over 400km. When the infill sections on the Hume (M31/A31 Melbourne-Sydney) are completed over the next few years this will become almost 1000km.

Bofter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:32 AM   #26
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
and route to Leskovac, Serbia would be even few km longer than to Nyregyháza (of course, if Slovenia once allready build remaining 14 km gap)
Maybe the M3 will be finished to the UA border, and Ukraine will have built the Chop-Kiyiv motorway before that gap is completed
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:53 AM   #27
Verso
Islander

^ That gap is gonna be completed next year.

Wow, I didn't think it would be that short in Australia, but if we loosen the motorway/freeway definition (like Victoria does), it's better. And much better in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMEX View Post
@ Verso: You can download free road maps for each Mexican state from the Ministry of Communications and Transportation website. They are updated on a frequent basis (last one was in October 2008).

Regarding the Mexico City-Nogales Expressway, the problem is that there are many "gaps" on the road, despite that most of the road is 4-lane: there are no urban bypasses at Hermosillo and Guadalajara; the section between Mazatlán and Tepic is a Super-2; to connect to the Mexico City -Acapulco Expressway you must go through a urban boulevard to reach the Periférico in Mexico City. Naturally this would violate the motorway rules stated here.

Currently the North Mexico City Bypass (in Spanish: Libramiento Norte del Valle de México) is operational from Tizayuca to San Martin Texmelucan (about 50% of the project). The section between Tula and Tizayuca, as well as a section between the Mexico City-Queretaro Expressway and Atlacomulco are still on the works; should be opened by next year. The total lenght of the project: 223km (mostly 4-lane motorway). Neglecting this section, the journey continues to the city of Cárdenas in the state of Tabasco (no bypass in this city). This would give an approximate total of 6.495 km / 4.036 mi of motorway journey.

Regards.
Those maps are great, thanks! That's a very long bypass, btw, I thought it would be much shorter. 223 km are too many to neglect, of course. But from next year it will be 6,495 km.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:05 AM   #28
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10975

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
There is not even a goat track that gets you all the way. Look at a map and try to find your way through the South of Panama.
So, how far south can you go without interruption, central Mexico? That would make it almost as long as the Trans-Canada.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #29
Bofter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ That gap is gonna be completed next year.

Wow, I didn't think it would be that short in Australia, but if we loosen the motorway/freeway definition (like Victoria does), it's better. And much better in a few years.
According to the RTA (NSW), by the end of 2009 there will be 20km remaining single carriageway through three towns, these will be complete by 2012. If we forgive this 20km, then by next year the picture will look more like this with over 1000km continuous:

Over the next decades, this will build towards 2000+km continuous with some big jumps as other connections are built.

The best explanation as to why the current situation is only around 450km is that Australia is a country of a few big cities with not much in between (apologies to all Australians living in regional areas). This means massive passenger transport demand in cities; quite an extensive length of Melbourne's freeway have more than 100,000 AADT, with a fair bit in the 150,000-200,000 range. Get outside the cities and this drops away very quickly. Then again you will have been driving for some time to get out of suburbia, or in the case of Brisbane and Sydney the extensive population areas to both the north (Sunshine Coast and Newcastle) and the south (Gold Coast and Wollongong).
Bofter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #30
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Maybe the M3 will be finished to the UA border, and Ukraine will have built the Chop-Kiyiv motorway before that gap is completed
you're my man! i bet you're right!
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM   #31
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofter View Post
Why isn't the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway connected to the Sydney orbital?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM   #32
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Why isn't the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway connected to the Sydney orbital?
Plans do exist, a preferred route has been selected, but it will take some more time before construction will commence. The project is rather controversial, I understand. See http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...iew/index.aspx
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:58 AM   #33
Verso
Islander

^ I see, then it will be longer.

So what about other continents? Would this be it for Africa? South African N1 and N3 from Polokwane (northern terminus) over Pretoria and Johannesburg to Warden (southern terminus). It's ~515 km (320 mi):

Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:04 AM   #34
Rodrigo_
100% Urbano

PanAmerican HighWay

Rodrigo_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:08 AM   #35
Verso
Islander

At least 4-lane motorways/expressways, please.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM   #36
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
So what about other continents? Would this be it for Africa? South African N1 and N3 from Polokwane (northern terminus) over Pretoria and Johannesburg to Warden (southern terminus). It's ~515 km (320 mi):
It depends on your motorway definition. The entire route you mentioned above is at least 4 lane, with grade-seperated interchanges, but on the outlying sections (N3 between Warden and Villers, N1 between the Modimolle interchange and Polokwane), the two flows of traffic aren't separated by a median, as this image shows (N3, around 20-30km north of Warden and heading in Warden's direction):

If your definition still holds, then in future the route above will stretch as far as Durban, if the plans to build the De Beers Pass route goes ahead (definitely needed, Van Reenen's Pass is the bane of all travellers between Johannesburg and Durban).
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM   #37
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2K View Post
Actually this is not what I define highway
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM   #38
Verso
Islander

Yeah, it's a bit narrow for a motorway. So Map24 was right after all (I looked at GE, which obviously includes this as a motorway). Thanks, Ron2K; I guess the longest is then the N2 and N3 from Hibberdene (southern terminus) over Durban to northwest of Ladysmith (northern terminus), which is ~330 km (205 mi). I hope I'm right this time:

I think there's a continuous 4-lane road in Egypt from Suez all the way to the Libyan border (more than 800 km), but it's not a motorway. Morocco would have ~615 km of continuous motorway, if Rabat had a proper motorway bypass; that way it has only ~310 km between Rabat and Marrakech. There are some other 4-lane roads in Africa, but I doubt many of them are up to motorway standards.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM   #39
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Yeah, I think you're right this time.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:30 PM   #40
Verso
Islander

^ Nice stack in Durban, btw.