daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM   #21
MALAYSIAN
1Malaysia

Likes (Received): 2

MALAYSIAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM   #22
alitezar
Persian 44

Likes (Received): 5593

I just don't know what to say
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM   #23
Patrick-RJ
A volta do malandro

Likes (Received): 64

Terrible... my nation is inconsolable
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM   #24
Deepfield

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, mine too...
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM   #25
J-P4ulo

One member of the Brazilian royal family was in that missing flight,the prince Pedro Luis de Orleans e Bragança.The Michellin South America president Luís Roberto Anastácio was also there.
J-P4ulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:59 PM   #26
Mauro Martins
From Brazil

Likes (Received): 154

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitezar View Post
I just don't know what to say
Yes man, there´s no word to say about this tragedy .... here in Brazil, where aviation is part of our life, this crash show us how small we are. One day we are happy and sunddenly .......

I agree with you Alitezar and thanks to show your beautifull land

Hugs from Brazil
Mauro Martins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM   #27
alitezar
Persian 44

Likes (Received): 5593

Thanks, I know, it truly shows how out of control things are but I just hope that I'll be able to recover from this sad news soon since it has brought me down so much...
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:20 PM   #28
Mauro Martins
From Brazil

Likes (Received): 154

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitezar View Post
Thanks, I know, it truly shows how out of control things are but I just hope that I'll be able to recover from this sad news soon since it has brought me down so much...
Me too .... have a good night ! And when its possible send more pictures of your country. For us Iran is a mysterious land, rich in history, wonders and dramatic landscapes. It's a pitty that tourism is so controlled.
See you man.
Mauro
Mauro Martins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:34 PM   #29
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
Press release N° 5

Air France is now able to confirm the nationalities of the passengers who were on board flight AF 447 on 31 May 2009, which disappeared between Rio de Janeiro and Paris-Charles de Gaulle. This list is based on the information provided by the Brazilian Authorities.

* 2 American
* 1 Argentinian
* 1 Austrian
* 1 Belgian
* 58 Brazilian
* 5 British
* 1 Canadian
* 9 Chinese
* 1 Croatian
* 1 Danish
* 1 Dutch
* 1 Estonian
* 1 Filipino
* 61 French
* 1 Gambian
* 26 German
* 4 Hungarian
* 3 Irish
* 1 Icelandic
* 9 Italian
* 5 Lebanese
* 2 Moroccan
* 3 Norwegians
* 2 Polish
* 1 Romanian
* 1 Russian
* 3 Slovakian
* 1 South African
* 2 Spanish
* 1 Swedish
* 6 Swiss
* 1 Turkish
http://alphasite.airfrance.com/fligh...communique2492
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #30
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1347

The Moroccan news is talking about 3 dead Moroccans R.I.P to all these passengers
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:40 AM   #31
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

I am deeply saddnede by all those who died in this horrible tragedy!

The plane fell down because of electrical problems made by severe turbulence, according to reports.

This is the first A330 crash!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM   #32
bOrN2BwILd
wE LiVe to DiE...

Likes (Received): 816

may their bodies be retrieved ...
god bless their souls
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:27 AM   #33
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Some lingering thoughts :

1. Airplanes are designed to withstand severe turbulence and lightning strikes. They shouldn't go down so easily.

2. Appears the flight is far from the origin point, hence should be at flight level. Instruments and weather reports from the ground should readily provide the weather conditions, so pilots can avoid (eg. rise above the storm or detour) potential dangers.
Yes, I share the same thoughts too.

Last year a Qantas A330-200 from Singapore to Perth fell from mid air over Australia's remote northwest. The pilot managed to regain control and avert disaster. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_72

I don't want to speculate, but perhaps something similar occurred in this instance? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_72
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...63-401,00.html

Very sad none the less for all involved.

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM   #34
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18171

Lightning bolts a risk for modern jets
1 June 2009
Agence France Presse

Passenger jets are hit by lightning every 1,000 hours -- on average twice a year -- and experts say the risk from the bolts of electricity is growing.

But technical experts, astounded like everyone else by the disappearance of an Air France jet in the Atlantic with the feared loss of 228 lives, say lightning alone could not have caused it to crash into the ocean.

Air France has said the A300-200 jet was probably hit by lightning as it passed through a violent storm on the flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris on Monday.

But the airline's chief executive Pierre-Henry Gourgeon said it suffered multiple technical failures before falling off radar screens.

"A succession of a dozen technical messages" sent by the jet showed that "several electrical systems had broken down" which caused a "totally unprecedented situation in the plane," said Gourgeon.

"It is probable that it was shortly after these messages that the impact in the Atlantic came," he added.

Nearly every commercial pilot has a tale of coming through a lightning storm. The French national office for aerospace study and research (ONERA) says that on average a plane is hit by lightning every 1,000 hours.

"Lightning could cause a mechanical problem, it could pierce the aircraft, but usually it can continue to fly," said Vincent Fave, an expert airline accident investigator told AFP.

Yves Deshayes, of the French national airline pilots union (SNPL) said a lightning strike could be damage a plane's communications and navigation systems.

"But in a plane the systems are doubled, even tripled, so a lightning strike that threatens the security of a flight, and even the state of the aircraft, is extremely rare," he said.

Deshayes suggested that a lightning strike could explain why there was no radio contact with the Air France plane, but nothing more.

"It is hard to imagine lightning hitting a plane and making it explode. It could cause a number of breakdowns, more or less serious, but to my knowledge there are no incidents of planes which were blown up by a lightning strike," he said.

David Learmount of Flight International magazine said aircraft are designed to survive lightning strikes. But the disappearance of the Air France jet was a "chilling reminder that nothing is impossible, however unthinkable.".

An expert on aircraft accidents, Francois Grangier, told AFP in a 2005 interview of his experience.

"In my career as a pilot I often experienced lightning as did all of my colleagues. It's something which is often impressive, it makes a lot of noise in the aircraft and usually electrical power fails, but it's just as if it happens at home: the fuses jump, you put them back and everything works."

Usually, the electrical impact spreads across the surface of the aircraft "along the external skin, in aluminium alloy which is a very good conductor of electricity, and the fuselage and wings act as a Faraday cage."

Under the Faraday phenomenon any external metallic frame prevents lightning from traversing the structure.

However, aluminium is giving way increasingly to composite materials based on carbon fibre and resin. Manufacturers are making increasing use of these materials because they offer weight, and therefore fuel, savings.

For example, Boeing's new generation 787 Dreamliner depends on extensive use of such materials.

But composite materials are less effective in deflecting lightning and manufacturers have turned to another way of providing a shield.

They use the 'metalisation' of the aircraft: a kind of mesh is added, a superficial layer which acts as a Faraday cage and in this way the aircraft is protected.

In recent years, at least two air crashes are believed to have been caused by lightning.

On June 22, 2000 a bi-turboprop Yun 7 belonging to the Chinese carrier Wuhan Airlines was hit by lightning, according to the Chinese authorities, as it approached Wuhan airport. Forty-two people on the plane and seven on the ground perished when the plane crashed into a boat.

Lightning is also suspected in the crash of a Kenyan Airways Boeing 737-800 on its way from Abidjan in Ivory Coast to Douala, Cameroon on May 5, 2007. It went down in a violent storm and all 114 people on the plane were killed.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM   #35
omercank

Likes (Received): 24

Could it possibly be that the plane performed an emergency landing on the water and people are on safety boats/slides... Maybe they just couldn't find them because they lost radar and cruised out of the route??? I don't want to be pessimistic... I sincerely hope that the plane hasn't crashed!! If and only if something terrible happened, I send everyone my condolences...
omercank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM   #36
Malaysian skyscraper

Likes (Received): 1

Does the aircraft's disapeared location is track with any radar? Can it track mid-air breakup?

*If it can, the ATC could see it in the radar.
*If it is descending to ditch, the radar could see the FL decreasing.
*If it runs out of fuel, it could return to Brazil or diverted to Africa.

This is what i thought
Malaysian skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM   #37
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by omercank View Post
Could it possibly be that the plane performed an emergency landing on the water and people are on safety boats/slides... Maybe they just couldn't find them because they lost radar and cruised out of the route??? I don't want to be pessimistic... I sincerely hope that the plane hasn't crashed!! If and only if something terrible happened, I send everyone my condolences...
Sadly I would say no. Its hard enough to land an aircraft on water, but to land on water at night (100% darkness out in the ocean) with a major storm in the area kicking up large waves its going to be near on impossible to achieve.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #38
Noize_320
a Pipsqueak...

sad to see one of my favorite aircraft missing...

...my thoughts to everyone aboard...
Noize_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM   #39
Malaysian skyscraper

Likes (Received): 1

Here's some info of the aircraft :
*MSN : 660
*Aircraft : Airbus A330-203 (General Electric CF6-80E1A3)
*First Flight : 2005-02-25
*Seat Configuration : 219 = C40Y179
*Delivery Date (to Air France) : 2005-04-18

Refrence : Planespotters.net
Malaysian skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:37 PM   #40
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18171

Landing on water is extremely difficult. Most of the time, the results are disastrous.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote