daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Shopping Architecture

Shopping Architecture Properly credited photos of retail shops, department stores and shopping malls around the world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #21
Taipei Walker
心在臺灣

Likes (Received): 1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensingtonian View Post
the area of Taipei i lived in had a bunch of high-end retail shops on the street. there was Valantino, Gucci, Dior, Luis Vuitton, and others... i didn't pay that much attention because i didn't really care.

anyway, it's just as humid there as it is in Hong Kong. also, every season seemed to be some type of wet season, so the weather can't be much worse than it is in Taipei. come to think of it, i don't think there were any malls in Taipei. even the new shopping area around Taipei 101 had a lot more interaction with the outside than a typical mall does.

but yeah, if i can just make a sweeping generalization: they love their designer labels over there.
Which area did you live? I recall Zhongshan North Rd has some high-end shops (including big LV and Gucci stores), also Zhongxiao East Rd, Nanjing East and West Rd, Dunhua North and South Rd etc. There are some malls too - Taipei 101 and Breeze are high-end malls. Finally there are department stores - total 9 Mitsukoshi department stores and 4 SOGOs and few other. And one more thing - shopping in Taipei seems to be very spread out accross the city also high and low end shopping is often mixed together in one area.
Taipei Walker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #22
Kensingtonian

Likes (Received): 38

i lived near the intersection of DunHua and RenAi. i remember most of the high-end shops being along DunHua anywhere betwee XinYi and ZhongXiao. Dior and Miss Sixty were right at RenAi, Valantino was a bit south, Gucci was a bit north. this was just where i lived. i'm sure there were designer clothing stores in other areas.

i don't think i ever went to Breeze, but the mall at Taipei 101 seemed like a cross between a mall and street retail.

oh, i just remembered a mall i went to a few times called the Better Living Centre (or something similar). there was a giant sphere that made up a big part of the mall. there was also a lot of underground shopping along the MRT line along ZhongXiao. it felt like a mall while walking around. sort of like the Path in Toronto.
Kensingtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #23
Kensingtonian

i didn't go to many malls in Taipei because they weren't unique - malls are the same in every country. i mostly went to night markets because we don't really have those here in Canada, except maybe for some touristy ones in Vancouver or something. also, everything was so cheap at the night markets and you could find some pretty unique stuff.

i remember this crazy maze of shopping alleys called WuFenPu (i might have totally gotten that wrong). i made a couple of good finds in there.
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #24
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
we don't really have those here in Canada, except maybe for some touristy ones in Vancouver or something.
There is an annual Toronto Night Market.

Quote:
Toronto Night Market
Address: Metro Square Plaza & New Century Plaza, 3636 Steeles Ave. East.

Old June 5th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #25
Kensingtonian

mmmmm stinky tofu. have you ever been to that night market? is it worth the trek out to Markham?
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #26
Taipei Walker
心在臺灣

Likes (Received): 1181

Quote:
i didn't go to many malls in Taipei because they weren't unique - malls are the same in every country. i mostly went to night markets because we don't really have those here in Canada, except maybe for some touristy ones in Vancouver or something. also, everything was so cheap at the night markets and you could find some pretty unique stuff.

i remember this crazy maze of shopping alleys called WuFenPu (i might have totally gotten that wrong). i made a couple of good finds in there.
Agreed, Taiwan is famous for night markets however night markets sells mostly food, low-end goods and some designer clothing (these you can find in Ximending, Shida, Gongguan, Shilin, Tianmu and back alleys around Zhongxiao/Dunhua intersection).

You mentioned Wufenpu - they seems to have everything there and for very reasonable prices. And just across the railroad (I think it should be already underground as they were working on it for quite a while) there is an amazing night market - Raohe Street.
Taipei Walker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #27
bOrN2BwILd
wE LiVe to DiE...

Likes (Received): 816

The most luxurious streets in Asia:

GINZA of Tokyo and Orchard Rd of Singapore of course... Undeniably!
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #28
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Is any one street, avenue or road (of a considerable stretch) 'truly luxurious'?

5th Avenue has a lot of luxurious boutiques, but it also has flagship stores of massive(ly rich) companies like Apple. I think H&M and Zara also have stores on 5th Avenue (correct me if I'm wrong)...not exactly the height of luxury. Yet, because they are huge companies, they can afford a presence in this extremely expensive avenue.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #29
_00_deathscar

Just because Ginza is so superb and deserves it:

Bulgari Ginza

Prada Ginza

Tod's Ginza

Ginza's Louis Vuitton building is surprisingly crap.
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #30
pokistic

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Is any one street, avenue or road (of a considerable stretch) 'truly luxurious'?

5th Avenue has a lot of luxurious boutiques, but it also has flagship stores of massive(ly rich) companies like Apple. I think H&M and Zara also have stores on 5th Avenue (correct me if I'm wrong)...not exactly the height of luxury. Yet, because they are huge companies, they can afford a presence in this extremely expensive avenue.
Well Madison Avenue in NYC has a stretch of luxury and expensive stores/boutiques. Although it is a very expensive Avenue to be, is not as expensive as 5th Ave and does not contain the huge spaces that some big companies want.
pokistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #31
UMD

Likes (Received): 781

The Thamrin and Sudirman stretch in Jakarta now also house a lot of branded shops from LV, Gucci, Bvlgari, Tod's as well as Harvey Nichols department store.
UMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #32
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6862

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
I hope is not in some mall and hope the streets are attractive enough to attract the rich.

'Not in some mall'? At a temperature of +33 +35C and sickening humidity a shopping mall is exactly what you'd be looking for in many Asian (primarily South East Asian) cities unless you love being tortured
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #33
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

Tokyo's Ginza is a good replica of Fifth and Madison Avenues in New York City. In fact, the buildings look even trendier because they can in Tokyo, but not in New York. Hongkong and Seoul does not appeal to me so much......it looks mallish except that it is outside........Singapore's Orchard is decent but not consistently high end like Tokyo's. As far as other Asian cities, some plush neighborhoods in Bangkok, Manila and Kuala Lumpur are starting to look like Hongkong's.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #34
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
'Not in some mall'? At a temperature of +33 +35C and sickening humidity a shopping mall is exactly what you'd be looking for in many Asian (primarily South East Asian) cities unless you love being tortured
Tropical Singapore's Orchard is not a mall and yet, it is fun to stroll from one store to another. The key? Singapore's trees and lots of it provide shade and keeps the temperature comfortable for outdoor walks.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #35
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricken Ridge View Post
Tropical Singapore's Orchard is not a mall and yet, it is fun to stroll from one store to another. The key? Singapore's trees and lots of it provide shade and keeps the temperature comfortable for outdoor walks.
Yes, it's not a mall... it's many malls

Singapore did a great job making the street a truly pleasant place (big trees providing shade, easy access etc.). Still the key is that the malls are dominating the landscape in SG (including Orchard rd.) and this is not least due to the hot and humid climate.
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #36
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

Orchard Road pedestrian promenade, surrounded on both sides by malls and hotels.

image hosted on flickr

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #37
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
It's already been covered, explained, debated and accepted on page 1.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #38
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricken Ridge View Post
Tokyo's Ginza is a good replica of Fifth and Madison Avenues in New York City. In fact, the buildings look even trendier because they can in Tokyo, but not in New York. Hongkong and Seoul does not appeal to me so much......it looks mallish except that it is outside........Singapore's Orchard is decent but not consistently high end like Tokyo's. As far as other Asian cities, some plush neighborhoods in Bangkok, Manila and Kuala Lumpur are starting to look like Hongkong's.
There is a reason the mall culture exists. Europe and America gets hot(ter), but I've never felt so uncomfortable anywhere (even in India) as I have in South East Asia's summer.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #39
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
It's already been covered, explained, debated and accepted on page 1.
Well, not entirely. Now it is.
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #40
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Don't think Champs Elysées can compete with all these high end Asian shopping streets.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote