daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Shopping Architecture

Shopping Architecture Properly credited photos of retail shops, department stores and shopping malls around the world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM   #81
flesh_is_weak
Oberste Richter

Likes (Received): 8

Cebu, our high-end shopping district is called Carbon Market...a smaller area is called Tabo-an
flesh_is_weak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #82
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyenan View Post
True?

Do you know why I said "funny" at all?

You sound like Hongkong is pretty much on par with the cities like NYC, Paris, and London in terms of richness or cultural/fanshion influence over the world, which is by no means true in reality. You shouldn't have put Hongkong there. Maybe Tokyo is in the right place, but hongkong? come on....
Again, I'm not debating Hong Kong's fashion status (though it may be growing) as an originator of fashion with the likes of New York, Paris, London, Milan and Tokyo.

I am pointing out the statement made by the original poster (since this debate began) was that Seoul isn't on a level with any of those above cities, including Hong Kong in the original list. To re-iterate, he argued that fashion houses are fighting to set up in Seoul, a statement I found strange as Seoul's status as a place for high-end goods, impressive though it may be, isn't quite the same as the other cities.

Why else do you think Hong Kong has an incredible array of regional (Asia) and international (outside of the original) flagship boutiques and megastores?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #83
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyenan View Post

You sound like Hongkong is pretty much on par with the cities like NYC, Paris, and London in terms of richness or cultural/fanshion influence over the world, which is by no means true in reality. You shouldn't have put Hongkong there. Maybe Tokyo is in the right place, but hongkong? come on....
I kind of agree on this. After a one week stay here, Hongkong does not really come across as a very fashionable city on the street level. Other than the usual business suits that most men and women wear during normal business hours, most people you encounter around the high end areas are dressed simply, nothing extraordinary that you see ordinarily in cities like New York, Paris or London.....just my observation........

Last edited by Bricken Ridge; July 4th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #84
_00_deathscar

Well done for ignoring my two responses, and Skybean's as well.

In any case, you need to open your eyes.
Old July 4th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #85
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3044

Ginza is not similar luxury shopping streets as 5th Ave or the Champs Elysées
Ginza is Ginza
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #86
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I thought business clothing in "business districts" was pretty standard... what extraordinary clothing does one wear to work?

And it's Hong Kong. Not Hongkong, not Honk Kong. Nobody spells New York as Newyork.
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #87
_00_deathscar

I spell it as Noo Yawk though.
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #88
Bricken Ridge

Don't be so predictable guys with your juvenile responses about spelling.......completely out of topic .........you maybe right but he'll yeah I was only there for a week so I might not have captured the "fashionable" Hong Kong" on the street level......but I tell you when I was at Felix....everyone was well-dressed......and I had a great time.........
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #89
_00_deathscar

This may be a wild stab in the dark, but you didn't venture out towards Causeway Bay and Mong Kok did you?

And it's Felix - an upper class bar for powerful young and middle aged executives, and their charming and elegant wives. Exactly how wildly did you expect them to be dressed?

Visit Causeway Bay and Mong kok for a more 'urban' picture of how the locals style themselves.

Now read what we had to say earlier - i.e., though Hong Kong's status as an originator for fashion is growing, it is quite clearly not at the level of Paris, London, New York, Tokyo and Milan's. We don't disagree with that.

However, as far as major, particularly luxury, fashion houses are concerned with setting up boutiques, Hong Kong is one of the first picks, and it's status is right up there, and even higher than (depending on the fashion label) Paris, Milan, Tokyo, London and New York's.

This is obviously clear, as Hong Kong has several boutiques that act as a flagship for either the Asian region, or even internationally for the brand (outside it's original location).

Seoul most certainly isn't at that level, hence why I asked the original question in the first place.

Last edited by _00_deathscar; July 5th, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #90
lindow

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
There is the mall culture
Tokyo's department store.
Ginza - Mitsukoshi, Matsuya, Matsuzakaya, Printemps, Seibu, Hankyu, Wakou, BARNEYS NEW YORK
Nihonbashi - Mitsukoshi, Daimaru, Takashimaya
Asakusa - Matsuya
Shibuya - Seibu, Tokyu
Shinjuku - Isetan, Mitsukosi, Takashimaya, Odakyu, Keio, BARNEYS NEW YORK
Ikebukuro - Seibu, Tobu
Ueno - Matsuzakaya
Kichijoji - Isetan, Tokyu
Tachikawa - Isetan, Takashimaya
Hachioji - Sogo,
Machida - Odakyu, Tokyu,

Yokohama - Sogo, Takashimaya, BARNEYS NEW YORK
Urawa - Isetan,
Omiya - Sogo, Takashimaya
Chiba - Mitsukoshi, Sogo
Others.

Tokyo's Shopping Mall
Ginza - Marronnier Gate
Nihonbashi - Marunouchi oazo, Coredo Nihonbashi, Marunouchi Building, Shin Marunouchi Building,
Roppongi - Roppongi Hills, Tokyo Midtown
Others.

Last edited by lindow; July 7th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
lindow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #91
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
This may be a wild stab in the dark, but you didn't venture out towards Causeway Bay and Mong Kok did you?

And it's Felix - an upper class bar for powerful young and middle aged executives, and their charming and elegant wives. Exactly how wildly did you expect them to be dressed?

Visit Causeway Bay and Mong kok for a more 'urban' picture of how the locals style themselves.

Now read what we had to say earlier - i.e., though Hong Kong's status as an originator for fashion is growing, it is quite clearly not at the level of Paris, London, New York, Tokyo and Milan's. We don't disagree with that.

However, as far as major, particularly luxury, fashion houses are concerned with setting up boutiques, Hong Kong is one of the first picks, and it's status is right up there, and even higher than (depending on the fashion label) Paris, Milan, Tokyo, London and New York's.

This is obviously clear, as Hong Kong has several boutiques that act as a flagship for either the Asian region, or even internationally for the brand (outside it's original location).

Seoul most certainly isn't at that level, hence why I asked the original question in the first place.
Between CWB and MKK I find the later more stylish.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #92
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindow View Post
Tokyo's department store.
Ginza - Mitsukoshi, Matsuya, Matsuzakaya, Printemps, Seibu, Hankyu,
Nihonbashi - Mitsukoshi, Daimaru, Takashimaya
Asakusa - Matsuya
Shibuya - Seibu, Tokyu
Shinjuku - Isetan, Mitsukosi, Takashimaya, Odakyu, Keio
Ikebukuro - Seibu, Tobu
Ueno - Matsuzakaya
Kichijoji - Isetan, Tokyu
Tachikawa - Isetan, Takashimaya
Hachioji - Sogo,
Machida - Odakyu, Tokyu,

Yokohama - Sogo, Takashimaya
Urawa - Isetan,
Omiya - Sogo, Takashimaya
Chiba - Mitsukoshi, Sogo
Others.
Some of the department stores you mentioned are also in HK. Some of them like Mitsukoshi, Daimaru and Matsuzakaya have shut down.

Anyway, here's Sogo in CWB

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #93
Bricken Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
I did and most of these designer stores were quite slow. I didn't mind coz I got personalized service.

Quote:
Actually Felix has a young professional upscale ambience- like most I've been to in New York where bumping into a celebrity is a normal thing...like I said, my comments were based on my observations.....with no intent to put Hong Kong down....

Quote:

Of course........If I own let's say D&G, I'll direct my board to open up stores where the money is....I don't care if the people in that area KNOWS how to dress fashionably as long as they'll buy my clothes........so seeing high end stores in your area may be a sign of affordability......now how you wear what you bought and show it down the streets- that's another thing.......

Last edited by Bricken Ridge; July 6th, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #94
iloveasia

Likes (Received): 0

A list of all the leading shopping streets in Asia and the world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...districts#Asia
iloveasia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #95
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricken Ridge View Post
I did and most of these designer stores were quite slow. I didn't mind coz I got personalized service.

Actually Felix has a young professional upscale ambience- like most I've been to in New York where bumping into a celebrity is a normal thing...like I said, my comments were based on my observations.....with no intent to put Hong Kong down....

Of course........If I own let's say D&G, I'll direct my board to open up stores where the money is....I don't care if the people in that area KNOWS how to dress fashionably as long as they'll buy my clothes........so seeing high end stores in your area may be a sign of affordability......now how you wear what you bought and show it down the streets- that's another thing.......
Thanks for your intriguing reply - it's good that we have a debate going rather than name calling.

I understand what you have to say, but this is where the fashion world is strange.

I would say most or many people in Hong Kong are very well dressed in an understated classic manner - now is that just merely conforming to already existing fashion trends that are considered classic in New York, London, Paris, Tokyo and Milan?

To truly be considered a fashion city, one (i.e., the population of the city) must often display courage in going AGAINST conformist trends and coming up with something very rebellious.

The true fashion cities (New York, London, Paris, Milan and Tokyo) manage very much of the former by melding it with the latter - think rebellious brands like Vivienne Westwood and Alexander McQueen...brands that dared to challenge, and in the process, redefined what is considered as 'fashion'.

Hong Kong is only now starting to create its own unique style and big labels, so in that sense, as we've both agreed upon...Hong Kong does have a way to go to live up to the true fashion cities.

In a purely former sense of classic fashion however, Hong Kong is right up there with the rest.

And you are correct regards to the money point, which is what was being discussed anyway. Hong Kong is a hotpot for international brands, to the extent that very few cities are (even all of the fashion cities do not have as many brands, boutiques, flagship stores and megastores as Hong Kong does)
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #96
lindow

Ginza

Aoyama-Omotesando

Last edited by lindow; July 7th, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #97
lindow

Shinsaibashi in Osaka

Map
http://www.yamane-e.com/boutiques.gif

Shinsaibashi in Osaka
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/luiluicom/162438.html
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #98
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Hong Kong

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fungspa...7619606712281/
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #99
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

I think the main reason why Luxury shopping streets are not crowded
is since most customers are "inside" these shops already and surrounding areas of Apgujeong are shops that sell unique clothing and accessories. Plus, there are nicer and trendier clothing made in Korea which can become highly popular among locals. In fact, Korean fashion industry is well known for being stylish, durable, and affordable.
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #100
dom

Likes (Received): 9

To be honest I like the buildings and the architecture but the spread of all these luxury brands just depresses me. I find it just highly ostentatious and pretentious with all these massive logos....

I taught in Japan to see customers spend 400 pounds a month on clothes, endless Prada handbags etc. I'm not sure if this made any of them happy as all their mates were doing the same....