daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Shopping Architecture

Shopping Architecture Properly credited photos of retail shops, department stores and shopping malls around the world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #121
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

^ lol 1 sec I thought it was Times Square lol
But Manhattan has other areas more interesting and exciting
than Times Square...I'm already bored of Times Square (since I live
there and see the big signs EVERYDAY to and from work) lol anyways yeah
but I prefer downtown Manhattan to Midtown...areas like Soho, Meatpacking District, Greenwich Village, East Village, Little Italy, and Chelsea are more interesting for me than Times Square
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #122
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmoon85 View Post
^ lol 1 sec I thought it was Times Square lol
But Manhattan has other areas more interesting and exciting
than Times Square...I'm already bored of Times Square (since I live
there and see the big signs EVERYDAY to and from work) lol anyways yeah
but I prefer downtown Manhattan to Midtown...areas like Soho, Meatpacking District, Greenwich Village, East Village, Little Italy, and Chelsea are more interesting for me than Times Square
The only thing I like about Times Square are the lights and shopping. Other than that, I prefer SOHO.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #123
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17828

Causeway Bay is a district, not exactly a shopping street. In fact, Hong Kong doesn't really have an upscale shopping street per se. Canton Road only has a sprinkle of luxury brands, and is probably the closest to a 'Champs Elysees', although I think it is still far off.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #124
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Causeway Bay is a district, not exactly a shopping street. In fact, Hong Kong doesn't really have an upscale shopping street per se. Canton Road only has a sprinkle of luxury brands, and is probably the closest to a 'Champs Elysees', although I think it is still far off.
More than 'a sprinkle' surely?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #125
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
More than 'a sprinkle' surely?
Champs has quite a long avenue of fancy shops. Hong Kong's model is more scattered. We build malls, rather than fill up a whole street with fancy shops. Notice many of the malls along Canton Road are not designed to face the street in the first place. Only a few have decided to do so.

I recall walking quite a long length of Champs with plenty of stores and sidewalk space. Quite a nice walk indeed.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #126
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
I'm sooo not able to understand why it's a big deal to have "luxury" streets in a certain city. And plus, would you want to live in a street filled with luxury goods and not be able to buy any of the products for its expensive price?? Gosh people, I live in Midtown Manhattan in Times Square and although it's exciting to be living in the "Crossroads of the World" it is definitely not residential and can get annoying with tourists lol
then how come you live in the time square area? this is one of the most expensive places in manhattan. you must be rich or lucky. or both.
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #127
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarulez View Post
then how come you live in the time square area? this is one of the most expensive places in manhattan. you must be rich or lucky. or both.
I hit the lottery
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #128
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
I'm sooo not able to understand why it's a big deal to have "luxury" streets in a certain city. And plus, would you want to live in a street filled with luxury goods and not be able to buy any of the products for its expensive price?? Gosh people, I live in Midtown Manhattan in Times Square and although it's exciting to be living in the "Crossroads of the World" it is definitely not residential and can get annoying with tourists lol
I never though of Times Square as a 'luxury street or area". It is more of a tourist area. The area is full of office towers, Hotels, and rentable apartments. Yes there are some shops, but they are not the 'luxury brands' you tend to find on 5th Ave or Madison Ave. I am sure no condos been built there will attract too many people to live there neither. Maybe for some rich foreigners who don't live in NYC all year round. Now Hells Kitchen is a residential neighborhood adjacent to Times Square to the west. I really like that neighborhood. 9th Avenue is a restaurants street. And they cater more to NYC residents and some wondering tourists. It is also now known as a gay neighborhood as well, with many gay bars and clubs.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #129
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I agree with Times Square being more a tourist area though there are fancy stores + restaurants here.

5th Avenue would be similar to Champs.

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #130
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

If there is one Asian city with something similar to a luxury shopping street that would be Tokyo.

Omotesandō

Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:28 AM   #131
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

image hosted on flickr

DSC_4754

image hosted on flickr

DSC_4764

image hosted on flickr

DSC_4796

image hosted on flickr

DSC_4790

image hosted on flickr

DSC_4786

image hosted on flickr

DSC_4804
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM   #132
weirdo
helter skelter

Likes (Received): 296

Causeway Bay didn't seem as luxury brand-heavy as Central MTR area when I went to Hong Kong Island. It is probably because I came more often to Central than to Causeway. Both places though were dotted with Bonjours, Sasas, Mannings etc. and I find Wan Chai visually more interesting anyway.

I don't think such ultra high-end shopping street exist in Metro Manila. There are a few pedestrian-friendly cluster of malls that carry luxury shops on ground floor, such as Greenbelt but most of them are >50% dining establishments, Starbucks and similar coffee shops like Eastwood and High Street.

Luxe brands are also mostly inside malls in Bangkok, concentrated around Siam BTS area. Adjacent malls carry more affordable and youth-oriented clothes+accessories. I'm not sure though if that's still the case since they brought Central World down.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:45 PM   #133
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
Causeway Bay didn't seem as luxury brand-heavy as Central MTR area when I went to Hong Kong Island. It is probably because I came more often to Central than to Causeway. Both places though were dotted with Bonjours, Sasas, Mannings etc. and I find Wan Chai visually more interesting anyway.
That's because it isn't. Central and TST are home to most of the big luxury brands (most even have stores at both) and usually the flagship store of said brand is at one of these two stores. Central and TST are also home to some of the biggest stores of said luxury brands around the world - e.g., Armani/Chater House in Central, Diesel Planet Store in Central, Louis Vuitton + Gucci stores at both locations, Zegna Global Store in TST etc.

Central is also only about 10 minute walk away from Admiralty/Pacific Place, which has some other brands too (as well as many of the same one).

Causeway Bay does have a splattering of luxury brands though - particularly on Fashion Street (Diesel, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Vivienne Westwood etc - more luxury urban rather than full on luxury) and Lee Gardens (LV, Chanel etc). Causeway Bay also has a lot of (or used to) official car-brand dealerships, which Central generally doesn't. Most of the car outlets are located along the harbour from Causeway Bay to Wan Chai/Admiralty, and a few at Lee Gardens in Causeway Bay. Can't remember if there are any in TST.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #134
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

ORCHARD ROAD SINGAPORE
image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5046/...624799a6_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/...ebb044fc_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2604/...00305cb6_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/...6ef59962_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2566/...313ab4f0_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/...8419f62a_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2742/...feee8394_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2750/...77f5c84a_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1270/...23945acd_b.jpg
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:39 PM   #135
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
I also think high-end shopping in HK is mostly Central and TST, and not so much Causeway Bay. They're also concentrated in malls, and not along streets.

Old February 4th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #136
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I also think high-end shopping in HK is mostly Central and TST, and not so much Causeway Bay. They're also concentrated in malls, and not along streets.
I'm sure that is the same situation with TST since most of these designer boutiques are within shopping malls.

Old February 4th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #137
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I'm sure that is the same situation with TST since most of these designer boutiques are within shopping malls.
Er, that's exactly what he said.
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #138
mccol

Likes (Received): 1

FYI , Koreans usually choose go to department stores or duty free shops before going abroad when they buy luxury brands .

Those shops at apgujeong rodeo street are not very popular to local koreans who actually buy these brands ,
mccol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #139
Alpenrock

Likes (Received): 0

GINZA is the best next is HONG KONG
Alpenrock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #140
real3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenrock View Post
GINZA is the best next is HONG KONG
Ginza is VERY VERY retro and specky and for the elderly people.

Everybody over there speaks French too.
real3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote