daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #21
Munichpictures1970

Likes (Received): 217

Interesting pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #22
pacocpc

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
Merci everyone.

This classy looking building is now a retirement home.

I love this house. When I retired I would go to an asylum similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
This last photo below of Kincardine Beach was taken from over a week ago just so you know.

Beautiful dog, Johnny.

Thanks, Johnny. You live in a place very interesting and pretty.
pacocpc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #23
Camilo_Costa
I♥CWB

Likes (Received): 7622

Beautiful pictures!
Camilo_Costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM   #24
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Likes (Received): 96

Puzzle Tombstone (1867)

Thanks for the replies people!

So far I've only had one person solve the puzzle, an Australian from another forum, so if anyone else is interested? Go ahead and try.

The Puzzle Tombstone which marks the graves of Henrietta and Susanna Bean in Rushes Cemetery, near Crosshill, Wellesley Township, Ontario, Canada.

Henrietta and Susanna Bean were the first two wives of Samuel Bean M.D. Henrietta Fury was born in Philadelphia in 1842 and married Samuel Bean there early in 1865. She died 27 September 1865, after seven months of marriage.

Samuel Bean's second wife was Susanna Clegg, who had been born between Wellesley and Crosshill in 1840. She and Samuel had a daughter, also named Susanna, before he was bereaved a second time on 27 April 1967.

The worn-down tablet in the 1st photo is the original from 1867 and the tablet in the 2nd is a remake from 1982.

The two wives are buried side by side. Their husband prepared a cryptogram, similar although not identical to that on Henrietta's funeral card. It was 15 letters across, and 15 down and carved on a white marble stone. The reader must solve the puzzle by reading in a zig-zag fashion.

Samuel Bean was first a teacher, then a doctor and later a pastor in the Evangelical Association. While practising the medical profession, he lived in Linwood, Ontario, and it was during this period that he erected the puzzle stone. He later married for a third time, lived in New York and Iowa and was lost at sea off the coast of Cuba in 1904. He was clearly a brilliant man with a searching mind who found pleasure in conundrums similar to that found on this gravestone.

Johnny Blade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM   #25
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

I know what it says, but that's because it's in a book that I have.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM   #26
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

I also know, but that is because Johnny told me!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:59 AM   #27
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

Thanks for your pictures, Johnny. Ontario is full of these beautiful little towns that everyone seems to have forgotten except for time. Thanks for bringing some light (and history) to these often neglected places!
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #28
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Kincardine Beach

I was at Kincardine Beach again on July 1st Canada Day and shot a few more photos.

This is part of a boiler from a steamship explosion (Erie Belle) dating back to 1883.

Old July 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #29
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Toronto Part 1

I was in Toronto a few weeks ago just before the trash starting piling up due to the city workers going on strike.

By the way I shot mostly with the lense set at 18mm for the tall buildings since there is not a lot of space in such a big city and I also used PSP to correct the perspective.

This is a shot of the old City Hall from 1889. The new City Hall is the odd looking building to the left.

The Flatiron Building from 1892.

This historical old building is now the Hockey Hall of Fame / Temple de la renommée du hockey.

This is called the Prince's Gate completed in 1927.

This is the entrance to Old Fort York and just incase if some of you didn't know Toronto was actually called "York" between 1793-1834.

This is a couple of shots of Old Fort York established 1793 and in 1813 most of it was destroyed by the Americans (Battle of York) along with most of the settlement of York, including the Parliament Buildings during a 5-day occupation after which the Yanks were driven out.

In 1814 the White House and most of Washington was set ablaze by British soldiers (some were Canadian-born) in retaliation for the destruction of York. The doors off the original White House are apparently on one of the churches in Toronto, from what I've heard anyway.

By the way the Fort was closed for the day so I wasn't able to get in and take pictures.

This is the old Strachan Avenue Military cemetery.

I have more photos to post I just haven't got around to finishing them yet.
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #30
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Nice pictures. That boiler is interesting. There's an old barge or scow off of Sherkston Shores east of Port Colborne, but you have to take a raft or boat for shallow water to get to it, since it sits on a reef. I'm surprised to see part of a shipwreck right on the beach, and not vandalized either.
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #31
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Recently another shipwreck the General Hunter has been found over on the Southampton beach just 30 minutes from Kincardine dating from 1816.
http://www.saugeenshores.ca/page.php?PageID=127

A little bit of info on the Erie Belle wreck.
http://www.hwcn.org/~ae621/item/sh_eb2.htm

I haven't been to Port Colborne since I was a kid so I may head back there again hopefully this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. That boiler is interesting. There's an old barge or scow off of Sherkston Shores east of Port Colborne, but you have to take a raft or boat for shallow water to get to it, since it sits on a reef. I'm surprised to see part of a shipwreck right on the beach, and not vandalized either.
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #32
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Toronto

These are the last of the Toronto photos from June 23rd.

Here's the manhole cover on Bay St. from 1889 that TB told me about.

St. Andrew's church built in 1876.

I can't remember which church this is and I gave up trying to find it on Google.

Old July 18th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #33
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Nice pictures.
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #34
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

United Empire Loyalists

Monday I shot a few photos while hanging around in Hamilton and this first one is of the United Empire Loyalist statue.

Over two hundred years ago the American Revolution shattered the British Empire in North America. The conflict was rooted in British attempts to assert economic control in her American colonies after her costly victory over the French during the Seven Years War. When protests and riots met the British attempts to impose taxes on the colonists, the British responded with political and military force. Out of the struggle between the Thirteen Colonies and their mother country emerged two nations: the United States and what would later became Canada.

The Loyalists' basic distrust of republicanism and "mob rule" influenced Canada's gradual "paper-strewn" path to nationhood, in contrast to the abrupt and violent upheavals in other countries.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~fhhayward/index.html

This monument is dedicated to the lasting memory of the United Empire Loyalists who, after the declaration of independence, came into British North America from the seceded American colonies and who, with faith and fortitude, and under great pioneering difficulties, largely laid the foundations of this Canadian nation as an integral part of the British Empire.

Neither confiscation of their property, the pitiless persecution of their kinsmen in revolt, nor the galling chains of imprisonment could break their spirits or divorce them from a loyalty almost without parallel.

"No country ever had such founders --
No country in the world --
No, not since the days of Abraham"
-- Lady Tennyson

The United Empire Loyalists were distinguished for their devotion to principle, for their valour in battle during the American revolution and for their loyalty and bravery in the War of 1812 - 1814 in defense of Canadian homes and hearths.

Just a few miles heading Southeast is the town of Stoney Creek and this is a few shots of Battlefield Park where one of many battles were fought in Ontario during the War of 1812 when the Americans attempted to annex Upper Canada but were defeated by the British and Canadian Militia.

The sun was coming from an undesired direction as you can see by the shadows so I couldn't take the best pic I would have liked.

Old August 6th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #35
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Nice pictures. I obviously prefer our history over yours, though.
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #36
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Well obviously, Hollywood has glorified your history so much I don't know what to believe anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. I obviously prefer our history over yours, though.
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #37
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

This one is a little more artistique.

Old August 8th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #38
tonyssa

Nice pics!
tonyssa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #39
xavarreiro
B A N N E D

Likes (Received): 9

very nice
xavarreiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #40
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Thanks everyone above!

Just a few shots of the beaches I've been to lately.

This photo was taken in Kincardine, Ontario on August 2nd late in the afternoon.

These shots below were all taken yesterday while it was hot and hazy along Lake Huron Ontario.
The first three are from Sauble Beach.

The last three here are from Southampton, Ontario and that is Chantry Island in the background.

I have a bit of time next week and I may head off to Montreal for a day or two, or not, we'll see if I feel up to it.