daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:43 AM   #21
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

nice pictures...even though i travel down the QEW from st. catharines to downtown toronto several times a week, never been to New York State.

Makes me want to check it out.

Keep it up..and if you have more to share...I would love to see them
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:18 AM   #22
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Delaware Water Gap IS the NJ-PA border, is very well known in both states and is VERY visable as a destination. 80 doesn't go through Scranton and, in fact, doesn't really hit any major cities at all in Pennsylvania...and Ohio is really too far away.
Yep, as he said, there is really nothing of interest between Youngstown, OH and Northern New Jersey. In Youngstown, in fact, one of the control cities on I-80 is New York City, despite it being 400 miles (650 km) away. This is simply because while Northern PA is very scenic in parts, it is also very little-populated.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:31 AM   #23
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Maybe, but Scranton is "just around the corner", and can therefor be signed on the I-80.

650km is a long way, but there aren't any better destinations in Northern Pennsylvania. But we see for example 600+km destinations in France too, so it is possible. Without any large city on the I-80, i think most traffic is long distance too, so you might wanna sign long distance destinations too.

I wonder what they sign in the west, it's all long distance there (I-15, I-40, I-80, I-90, I-94 etc).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:19 AM   #24
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Great pictures.

I have taken almost the same route, except I take I-84 west to I-380, since I live in Hartford and not New York. It's better than taking the Thruway the entire way.

The landscape is very beautiful when in Pennsylvania and in the Southern tier in New York State, but it gets boring fast from Syracuse westward. Buffalo, then Customs, and then those two super-bridges on the QEW keep you awake though.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:36 AM   #25
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Without any large city on the I-80, i think most traffic is long distance too, so you might wanna sign long distance destinations too.
I suspect most traffic (at least the non-truck) is heading for northwestern New Jersey and the Poconos of PA. Again- the Water Gap is very well known in this area so works very well for a destination. I understand Europeans have never heard of it, but I doubt many Europeans know where Stroudsburg is either.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:29 AM   #26
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
There's something wrong there.

I did the same trip last year and after entering Buffalo from Niagra Falls, I saw a road sign saying: "NYC 600 miles" and that alone is almost 1,000 km. Consider that the border from Toronto is at least 100 - 150 more kms and you got much more then 800.

Nice pics though
Hmm, I have no clue, it is definitely not 1000 km But I think you might be mistaken, as I remember an "NYC 400 miles" sign around the same area
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:32 AM   #27
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Maybe, but Scranton is "just around the corner", and can therefor be signed on the I-80.

650km is a long way, but there aren't any better destinations in Northern Pennsylvania. But we see for example 600+km destinations in France too, so it is possible. Without any large city on the I-80, i think most traffic is long distance too, so you might wanna sign long distance destinations too.

I wonder what they sign in the west, it's all long distance there (I-15, I-40, I-80, I-90, I-94 etc).
I was very confused by 'Del Water gap' the first time I drove that way on a roadtrip a few years ago. Since then I have been thinking that 'Pennsylvania' would be a better control destination for those signs, just like 'Indiana' and 'Wisconsin' are used on the expressways in central Chicago.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM   #28
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Interesting... In Western states they never use other states as control destinations. For example, on I-80 east of Sacramento, they always put Reno as the next control destinations, and after Reno they put Salt Lake City, etc. Similarly, on I-5 they point to Portland and then to Seattle.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM   #29
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I was very confused by 'Del Water gap' the first time I drove that way on a roadtrip a few years ago. Since then I have been thinking that 'Pennsylvania' would be a better control destination for those signs, just like 'Indiana' and 'Wisconsin' are used on the expressways in central Chicago.

Mike
In New York, they use "New England" as a control destination on signs in the City:

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM   #30
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
I suspect most traffic (at least the non-truck) is heading for northwestern New Jersey and the Poconos of PA. Again- the Water Gap is very well known in this area so works very well for a destination. I understand Europeans have never heard of it, but I doubt many Europeans know where Stroudsburg is either.
Stroudsburg is somewhat bigger, and can easier be found on the map. You have to get a very detailed map to find the Delaware water gap.

My Rand McNally 2005 road atlas has included it, by the way.

And signage is not ment for those who is well known to the area, but for those who aren't. I don't need signage on the road to my work either, but i need it when i'm on a roadtrip for example.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:10 PM   #31
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

That's true- it is mostly for those unfamiliar with an area- I don't disagree at all. Perhaps POCONOS would work better.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:12 PM   #32
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Well, I was surprised at some tiny Van Horn as the main destination on the I-10 in El Paso, but at major interchanges in El Paso they also put San Antonio, so it's all fine.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM   #33
Astralis
Out of time

Likes (Received): 26

These are awesome pictures .
I must say I'm sort of disappointed by the look of these highways in some areas but it must have been because they are quite old and heavily used. Anyway how is the feeling in the car? Is it shaking at higher speeds?
Astralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #34
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralis View Post
These are awesome pictures .
I must say I'm sort of disappointed by the look of these highways in some areas but it must have been because they are quite old and heavily used. Anyway how is the feeling in the car? Is it shaking at higher speeds?
Thanks It really depends on where you drive - a lot of the highways are actually in good condition. When taking this trip, we had recently replaced a component of the steering system, and the wheel was a little unbalanced (slightly turned to the left in the natural position ), so that actually made it a little less convenient on the worse-surface parts. Also, we have a relatively small Nissan Sentra, so it is definitely not as convenient as some of the bigger cars (bumps are felt with greater force, and there is almost no legroom for passengers in the backseat ). But otherwise it wasn't too bad.
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #35
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
In New York, they use "New England" as a control destination on signs in the City:
Yeah, there are still plenty of old signs all over New York that still have that.

Most new signs put New Haven instead.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #36
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

I went this way. We went from 9pm and were at Battery Park at 4:30 am.

On the way back we chilled it down with the speed as it was the day.
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #37
Astralis
Out of time

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Thanks It really depends on where you drive - a lot of the highways are actually in good condition. When taking this trip, we had recently replaced a component of the steering system, and the wheel was a little unbalanced (slightly turned to the left in the natural position ), so that actually made it a little less convenient on the worse-surface parts. Also, we have a relatively small Nissan Sentra, so it is definitely not as convenient as some of the bigger cars (bumps are felt with greater force, and there is almost no legroom for passengers in the backseat ). But otherwise it wasn't too bad.
I see. Thanx. I'm glad you had a good driving trip. And I asked that because Croatia has recently built many new kilometers of highway and everything is new and smooth... so driving is a real pleasure and of course I'm expecting the same thing from one of the most developed countries in the world .
Astralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #38
ursurs

Likes (Received): 0

belgrade->Zagreb and Zagreb->Budapest by truck??

Is it possible to use the motorways from Belgrade to Zagreb and from Zagreb to Budapest with a truck? I heard that there are limitations-> that it is not allowed to use these motorways with trucks.

Are both distances fully equipped with motorways or are many "normal" country roads to be used? Thanks for your urgent awaited response!
ursurs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #39
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Hungarian part of the Budapest - Zagreb route isn't quite finished i thought. But Hungarian members can answer this better.

Belgrade - Zagreb is a full motorway.
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #40
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Belgrade - Zagreb is a full motorway.
And as you said, Zagreb - Hungarian border, too.

I doubt that there are some limitations in Hungary.
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip