daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2008, 11:48 PM   #441
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Updated list of cities:
  • Luxemburg *
  • Paris *
  • Bilbao *
  • Madrid
  • Salamanca
  • Lisabon
  • Sevilla
  • Tangiers
  • Granada
  • Valencia
  • Barcelona *
  • Andorra
  • Montpellier
  • Monaco *
  • Milan *
  • Vaduz *
  • Munchen *
  • Salzburg
  • Ljubljana
  • Zagreb *
  • Belgrade
  • Sarajevo
  • Dubrovnik *
  • Tirana
  • Thessaloniki
  • Istanbul *
  • Bukarest
  • Debrecen
  • Krakow
  • Prague
  • Amsterdam *

The cities displayed in this color are to be decided.
The cities marked with a * are cities I've visited before.

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:52 PM   #442
Des
Traveller

Map of the trip part 1:

Amsterdam to Salzburg

6.270 km
Old September 1st, 2008, 12:26 AM   #443
Des
Traveller

I came up with two alternative routes from Istanbul back to Amsterdam.

Option 1 is what I originally planned: from Istanbul through Bulgaria to Romania's capital Bukarest. From there crossing most of Romania to Hungary's second biggest city Debrecen. The last days take me through Slovakia to Krakow in Poland before visiting the Czech Republic's capital of Prague and the last bit of driving down the German autobahn back to Amsterdam.

Option 2 is an easier alternative from Istanbul to the Bulgarian capital Sofia. After an overnight stay in Sofia continueing to Belgrade where the trip already took me on the way to Istanbul. After Belgrade the road takes me north to the Hungarian capital of Budapest. Leaving me plenty of time to explore the Slovakian and Austrian capitals the next day. First driving from Budapest to Bratislava and later Vienna. From Vienna driving into Prague and the last day of autobahn before returning home.

Option 1 has less highway but it has some added bonusses, I get to see most of Bulgaria, Romania, a bit of eastern Hungary and eastern slovakia and the southern part of Poland before arriving in Prague.

Option 2 is easier and I get to see the Bulgarian capital of Sofia. Downside is I get to see Belgrade twice and skip Romania and Poland. Also I have already been to Bratislava and Budapest before. But if I get bored of driving or my co-driver it's the easiest way getting back to Amsterdam.

Option 1 is shown with the blue markers, option 2 is shown by red markers:

Old September 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM   #444
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21 View Post
Otherwise, to not loose time standing in traffic jams on boring highways in the suburbs of Istanbul
You're in a wrong subforum, man. Nice to see you love Slovenija though.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:04 AM   #445
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

Istanbul is very big, and during daytime very congested. If you can manage to arrive in and depart from Istanbul outside of the rush-hour (to my knowledge somewhere between 10pm - 7am), then do it. Otherwise, to not loose time standing in traffic jams on boring highways in the suburbs of Istanbul, leave it out and drive along the bulgarian black sea coast coming directly from Thessaloniki.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:41 AM   #446
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

My preferrence: Travel Through Marmara Sea.

What? Can't you use ferry?
Onur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:53 AM   #447
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Verso! Can you please tell me what time-machine you are using? I want those prints!!! I'm getting rich!
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:12 AM   #448
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ My mind beat Digger for 8 minutes, I know.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:08 AM   #449
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
I came up with two alternative routes from Istanbul back to Amsterdam.

Option 1 is what I originally planned: from Istanbul through Bulgaria to Romania's capital Bukarest. From there crossing most of Romania to Hungary's second biggest city Debrecen. The last days take me through Slovakia to Krakow in Poland before visiting the Czech Republic's capital of Prague and the last bit of driving down the German autobahn back to Amsterdam.

Option 2 is an easier alternative from Istanbul to the Bulgarian capital Sofia. After an overnight stay in Sofia continueing to Belgrade where the trip already took me on the way to Istanbul. After Belgrade the road takes me north to the Hungarian capital of Budapest. Leaving me plenty of time to explore the Slovakian and Austrian capitals the next day. First driving from Budapest to Bratislava and later Vienna. From Vienna driving into Prague and the last day of autobahn before returning home.

Option 1 has less highway but it has some added bonusses, I get to see most of Bulgaria, Romania, a bit of eastern Hungary and eastern slovakia and the southern part of Poland before arriving in Prague.

Option 2 is easier and I get to see the Bulgarian capital of Sofia. Downside is I get to see Belgrade twice and skip Romania and Poland. Also I have already been to Bratislava and Budapest before. But if I get bored of driving or my co-driver it's the easiest way getting back to Amsterdam.

Option 1 is shown with the blue markers, option 2 is shown by red markers:

What about going from Debrecen to Budapest,then you can go to Vienna/Bratislava,then north to Ostrava-Wroclaw,and then back to Prague? I think it will take the same amount of time,because of more motorways,but you see more.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM   #450
GregfromAustria

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah Vienna is such a beautiful city!
GregfromAustria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:30 AM   #451
Des
Traveller

@Rawlee: that sounds good, hadn't thought about it. I will add it to the next map I make.

Does anyone know a satnav that works in croatia, serbia, bosnia, albania, greece, turkey, bulgaria, romania and hungary?
Old September 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM   #452
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I believe TomTom has maps for eastern Europe, but only for the main roads.

From the TomTom site:

Quote:
De kaart van Oost-Europa wordt steeds beter, met meer dan 75.000 kilometer aan extra wegennetdekking en 15.000 nieuwe NP’s. Gedetailleerde deur-tot-deurnavigatie door Estland, Hongarije, Letland, Litouwen, Polen, Slovenië, Slowakije en Tsjechië. Plus beperkte dekking van Kroatië, inclusief de belangrijkste steden en de kustregio. Andere Oost-Europese landen worden gedekt in de vorm van een aaneengesloten netwerk van hoofdwegen dat naadloze navigatie door de hele regio mogelijk maakt.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM   #453
Des
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I believe TomTom has maps for eastern Europe, but only for the main roads.

From the TomTom site:
That's perfect. And I don't mind doing some old-school navigating so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also found maps for my Mio, and it seems to include more countries and streets than TomTom:

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/Soft...N_SD_CARD.html
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:15 PM   #454
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

I've made some alternatives for the Spanish part.

1:

+ No tolls.
+ 3 km shorter than the AP-8 + AP-68 (169 vs 172 km).
+ The A-15 + A-10 part has some spectacular landscapes.

- You won't visit Bilbao.
-The AP-68 also has good landscapes.

2:

+ You will visit Madrid, which is, as Stifler said, a must if you like motorways. In the map I've put the longest itinerary in the M-30 from A-1 to A-6, passing through the southern bypass and the new tunnels next to Manzanares river. However, I'd recommend you to spend some time driving on the other rings (M-40, M-45 and M-50) and the toll-free radial roads (A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4, A-5, A-6).

+ You will avoid the A-62, which is quite old from Burgos to Tordesillas, and its landscape is plain and boring in my opinion. However, in this alternative You will cross twice the Sistema Central mountain range (Somosierra and Guadarrama tunnels).

+ The A-50 Ávila-Salamanca is supposed to be finished in december 2008, so you'll find a brand-new highway with much less traffic than the A-62.

- This route is much longer (465 vs 254 km).

- It's tolled from Villalba to Ávila (AP-6 + AP-61).

- Depending on the days you are travelling (first/last days of July and August), you'll encounter lots of Moroccans and Algerians that live in Europe and return to their countries during the summer holidays.

The rest is OK in my opinion.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM   #455
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

LOL!

Excellent and very interesting pics, x! I like Italian motorways very much, and Autogrill's capuccino is the best in the world!

And Capri is beautiful, as well as the Amalfi coast... I remember the roads around there are quite scary and narow sometimes...
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM   #456
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11124

Great thread and report x-type... SSC needs more users like you; for istance last week I've driven from Milan to San Benedetto del Tronto (between Ancona and Pescara on Adriatic Coast), passed interesting points of highway network as the renewed stretch nearby Bologna tangenziale, got my camera with me and didn't take any pics .....
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM   #457
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Des, i have a suggestion: why wouldn't you break that trip into more smaller trips?

namely, i have allways bee trying to make an european round trip route. and after all tries, i made 5 really nice round routes which cover more than that one. what do you think about that?
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:43 PM   #458
x-type
con los terroristas

on this section of A3 (in Napoli) i saw few those funny exits (actually, entrances) where you have toll station and sharp 180° curve and you are allready at merging lane to motorway, so you access it with some 30 km/h here is screenshot from GE. green is entering the motorway in direction Salerno, blue is direction to enter motorway in direction Napoli, and red is exit from direction Napoli. also is interesting intersection of red and blue direction "made in Italy"

whole A3 from toll barrier Napoli south to Castellamare di Stabia is construction site in both directions, they are widening it into 3+3

end of A3...

...and the beginning of A1

Old September 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM   #459
x-type
con los terroristas

we're going back. as i've said, we didn't have enough time to go back via Amalfi and to see other coast of penninsula, but this is fantastic reason for coming back and we were a little bit in hurry because we had to reach Avezzano and sleep there because any other place for sleeping would be roulette for getting on a ferry in time.

i think this is an access to railway station

Verso, here is written Castellamare (single "m"), sry, i'm not in the mood for zooming to prove you

viaduct over Castellamare vith a view on Vesuvio

and 1,50€ for entering motorway
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM   #460
x-type
con los terroristas

on this section of A3 (in Napoli) i saw few those funny exits (actually, entrances) where you have toll station and sharp 180° curve and you are allready at merging lane to motorway, so you access it with some 30 km/h here is screenshot from GE. green is entering the motorway in direction Salerno, blue is direction to enter motorway in direction Napoli, and red is exit from direction Napoli. also is interesting intersection of red and blue direction "made in Italy"

whole A3 from toll barrier Napoli south to Castellamare di Stabia is construction site in both directions, they are widening it into 3+3

end of A3...

...and the beginning of A1

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip