daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM   #461
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

@Ciceron: Thanks for the advice. I have friends in Bilbao and plan to stay there overnight. Also I've driven from San Sebastian to Pamplona before.

Madrid is a serious option to include in the journey, so I probably will include it in the next map.

@x-type: I was already thinking about that, maybe buy a car to do this trip in so I can leave it at an airport somewhere and fly back to Amsterdam. That way I can always continue the trip later.

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM   #462
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
What about going from Debrecen to Budapest,then you can go to Vienna/Bratislava,then north to Ostrava-Wroclaw,and then back to Prague? I think it will take the same amount of time,because of more motorways,but you see more.
That's good option if Des wants to enjoy good motorways. But, if you wants to see stunning nature or beautiful medieval towns then better road would be Debrecen - Miskolc - Košice - Prešov - Poprad - Kraków - Wroclaw - Prague/Dresden - Amsterdam.

Something like this: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...95&ie=UTF8&z=7
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:11 PM   #463
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I can really recommend Kosice as a stop. You should spend a few hours there (it's quite small, but beautiful). Poprad is small and boring, Kraków is worth visiting or a few days, same counts for Prague and Dresden is good to stay overnight to visit it in the evening/morning. It's nice, but I didn't really like it.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM   #464
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Verso, here is written Castellamare (single "m"), sry, i'm not in the mood for zooming to prove you
Then that's another "Made in Italy". Click here. Unless the sign is before 1863 (when it was indeed still called "Castellamare"). Whatever.

Great photos again and funny entrance ramp. And damn time-machine.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM   #465
Des
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I can really recommend Kosice as a stop. You should spend a few hours there (it's quite small, but beautiful). Poprad is small and boring, Kraków is worth visiting or a few days, same counts for Prague and Dresden is good to stay overnight to visit it in the evening/morning. It's nice, but I didn't really like it.
There's something to be said for both alternatives. Since I've driven from Prague to Bratislava and Budapest I rather take the Debrecen - Kosice - Krakow route.

I've been to Dresden before (the Kempinski hotel there is really good) so I don't really have to go there again.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:24 PM   #466
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

How much do you think this trip is gonna cost you? Besides fuel, there are tolls, food, hotels/motels etc. The tolls alone could be a couple of hundred euro's. Avoiding tolls is not really a luxury you have, given the time you have.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:25 PM   #467
Des
Traveller

I will make a day-to-day breakdown of the trip so I can plan it into further detail.

Day 1:
768 km – ca. 7 hr 57 min
  • Amsterdam
  • Luxemburg
  • Reims
  • Paris

Additional info / sights:

I can dream the route to Luxemburg, but the ultimate challenge of this trip is to visit as many countries as possible, so I like to include Luxemburg to the list. On the way from Luxemburg to Paris I like to stop in Reims. Overnight I might want to stay in Versailles so I don't have to worry about Paris the next day. Of course a lap of the Arc de Triomph and a photo moment near the Eiffeltower will be included on the way to the hotel.

Last edited by Des; September 1st, 2008 at 11:38 PM.
Des no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM   #468
Des
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How much do you think this trip is gonna cost you? Besides fuel, there are tolls, food, hotels/motels etc. The tolls alone could be a couple of hundred euro's. Avoiding tolls is not really a luxury you have, given the time you have.
4.500 euro?
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:29 PM   #469
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I like to get around with a 3-seconds light tent. It unfolds itself, so you're set within a few seconds. Campsites can be quite cheap, usually between € 10 and € 15 in the less touristic area's. If you have to spend every night in a hotel that charges € 50 per night, it's gonna be costly. However, I'm still working on the plan to turn my car into a small camper for one person.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:30 PM   #470
Des
Traveller

Day 2:
923 km – ca. 8 hr 42 min.
  • Paris
  • Bordeaux
  • Bilbao

Old September 1st, 2008, 11:31 PM   #471
Des
Traveller

Quote:
I like to get around with a 3-seconds light tent. It unfolds itself, so you're set within a few seconds. Campsites can be quite cheap, usually between € 10 and € 15 in the less touristic area's. If you have to spend every night in a hotel that charges € 50 per night, it's gonna be costly. However, I'm still working on the plan to turn my car into a small camper for one person.
I prefer a bed, so I don't mind staying with friends or in a hotel. It comes at a price but it's worth it for me.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:32 PM   #472
Verso
Islander

Quote:
However, I'm still working on the plan to turn my car into a small camper for one person.
Then you'll be officially considered gypsy.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM   #473
Des
Traveller

Quote:
I won't be driving alone so I can split most of the costs.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:27 AM   #474
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Nobody is going to Poprad to enjoy the town itself. It's nothing special (although its renaissance quarter Spišská Sobota is). Poprad is interesting because it's gateway to High Tatras on one side and historical Spiš region with gems like Levoča or Spiš castle on the second side.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:27 AM   #475
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Madrid is a serious option to include in the journey, so I probably will include it in the next map.
I would include it for sure (it's a motorway subforum, don't expect anything different ).

If you think Burgos-Madrid-Salamanca-Portugal is too long, you can also make a Burgos-Madrid-Toledo-Badajoz-Portugal. It's not tolled and Toledo is as nice as Salamanca.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM   #476
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Nobody is going to Poprad to enjoy the town itself. It's nothing special (although its renaissance quarter Spišská Sobota is). Poprad is interesting because it's gateway to High Tatras on one side and historical Spiš region with gems like Levoča or Spiš castle on the second side.
But they do have a very nice pool, the best I've ever seen
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:12 PM   #477
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 919

WoW! Thank you for this tour, it's simly amazing!!
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM   #478
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A5 Sens - Troyes

I almost forgot my last photobatch, which is from the quiet A5 motorway that heads eastbound. A lot of long distance destinations are signed here. The route is about 52 klicks long.

25 pics of the A5

map:
[img]http://i38.************/1zz5auo.png[/img]
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM   #479
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

so, i didn't take photos of A1 in opposite direction because we were a bit in a hurry to get in hotel, and the dark was falling. we took an exit Ceprano and road SS82 to Avezzano. actually, we tried to take it. we lost a good hour moving aroung Sora and trying to enter superstrada.
for instance: there is a sign that says "turn right to get in Arpino". excellent! we don't want to go through Arpino, so we are keeping direction. but after 2 km, we are entering Arpino. WTF???
or when we finally felt that we were at right way, in Sora there is an Y shaped intersection, and sign says "straight". but which straight, there is left and right straight at Y intersection!! (btw, both ways have triangle sign, so no priority). also, in rondos direction signs are totaly confusing because you never know does it show to stay in rondo or to take an exit. untill coming to Sora, i was wondering why people said that direction signs at SS roads in Italy might be problematic.

i am really sorry because i dont' have photos of SS82 (it was dark), it is excellent because it has lots of objects. i thought about traveling that section early in the morning, but i was affraid not to get on ferry in time.

so, last day, entering A25 in Avezzano

it is in excellent condition at this section, and i expected not very well maintained motorway

approaching intersection A25-A24

we were told about A24 as motorway with low traffic. so it was, and i tried to choose situations with cars on photos

x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:02 AM   #480
Verso
Islander

Nice landscape! As for Arpino, it happens. I'd say the center of it was right, but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't enter it. In roundabouts (rondos) signs mostly point out of them.

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip