daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #541
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

I'd never do so much kms in just 20 days... If you'd like to see more than just asphalt at least.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #542
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I'd make two tours out of this:

1. Iberia
2. Balkans
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #543
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I'd make two tours out of this:

1. Iberia
2. Balkans
indeed! this planned rout simply screams to be divided into 2 pieces!! just look at its shape
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #544
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

3. Scandinavia
4. Russia & Baltics
5. Laos & Cambodia
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #545
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
5. Laos & Cambodia
5a. over Russia
5b. over India

Old September 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #546
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I uploaded about 70 pictures from the A75 motorway to Panoramio, I picked the best ones, so they will appear in Google Earth in about a month
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #547
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

USA and UK Road Trips, next summer

Here is the route for our USA road trip that we are taking next summer. I am going with my boyfriend and a friend from here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...25&ie=UTF8&z=4

The letters are only the overnights - we'll be doing side trips of course.

Two weeks long. Some long driving days, but it should be fun...we are all very excited. Already have most accommodation booked.

The UK one is a bit more calm and shorter (1 week) because it is a family trip. Here it is; again, the letters are only the overnights, we'll be doing some side trips too. This trip is only in the planning stages.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...78,7.03125&z=7

Next summer is going to be amazing. We've been saving up forever for all of these; traveling with others helps a lot too to make it cheaper.

Last edited by Dan; September 19th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #548
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wow, I bet that US trip will be the trip of your life! Don't forget to make tons of pics
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #549
sotonsi

grr at Google for using The Avenue for getting to Southampton City Centre from the M3 - there's a far better road in the M271-Western Approach. (and the directions are awful - go through 2 roundabouts tells you not a lot). Wales has some even worse routes - for Cardiff-Porthmadog keep to the A470 until Ffestinog and for the way back, go via Llangollen (and also you might want to try the A498 rather than the A4212, as while going via Bala is pretty, going right next to Snowdown is amazing and different to the previous days travel). I guess you haven't put specific locations, especially as Gwynedd is huge.

of roads interest on your route - M4 elevated section, M25 mega-wide section (next to America it would look rubbish), M271 as an example of the many awful UK motorways (not on your route, but if Google was sensible) - it's got a roundabout in the middle!, A34 as an example of a should-be-a-motorway route, M3 j9 and M40 j9 as examples of the "roundabouts will be able to cope with all this traffic" bad junctions, M4 Second Severn Crossing - great views of the older (and prettier to look at) Severn and Wye Bridges (M48), urban section of the A470 in the Valleys, some nice viaducts near Merthyr Tydfil, stunning views in Wales, especially further north, Telford's Holyhead Road (the A5), Spaghetti Junction (M6 j6 - worth turning off, then u-turning and coming back on - the A38(M) is a tidal flow motorway, and very odd - work out a route that takes you to the roundabout at the bottom, and also on the A38(M), though I doubt you'll have time), M42 ATM section and that's about it.

Things of interest - London's, well, London. You can get to Southampton fairly quickly. It's worth visiting Lyndhurst when staying in Southampton, plus (as the hotel is likely to be near the docks) looking around the city walls - goes in a ring. There's some good restaurants in the area between the Docks and the shopping area in Southampton, plus north of the shopping area - I guess ask at the hotel. To Stratford doesn't take that long (2.5 hours?) - visit Winchester and Oxford en route (use Park and Rides if possible - both are awful for driving in). Stratford-Cardiff doesn't look like it takes long (never done it, but the roads are decent) - you can have time in Stratford that day then head down, having spent some time in Southampton, Lyndhurst, Winchester and Oxford the day before. Cardiff-North Wales takes ages - the A470 is pretty, though the south and north are more pretty. However it's slow and not amazing - that's a good 5 hours, I know Google says 4, but that's not right. The last leg - enjoy the scenery while it lasts, go via Snowdon, etc. Pwllheli-Southampton takes about 6.5 hours without breaks: Porthmadog-Heathrow is going to be nearly 6 hours.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #550
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 849

On your UK trip you'll be going through my home town (Telford) if you get the chance check out the Ironbridge Gorge World Heritage Site http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/ Its pretty impressive and there is stuff to do for the whole family.
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #551
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Instead of following I-80 across Wyoming (a VERY wide-open and desolate area), I would change stop 'B' to Denver (take I-76 from I-80 just west of North Platte, NE - home of the World's largest and busiest freight railroad yard) and follow I-70 through the mountains to Salina, UT, then follow US 50 to I-15 and that to Salt Lake City. Or - better yet, avoid the side trip to Salt Lake City (a VERY strait-laced, squeaky-clean, conservative place, where the Mormons call home) and follow I-70 to its end at I-15, then I-15 to Las Vegas, NV and the Los Angeles area. I-70 is a AMAZING DRIVE! I would schedule an overnight stop at Grand Junction, CO.

Chicago to Denver is a good 18 hours' drive time (stopping for only food, fuel and facilities), but it is a relatively featureless part - crossing the vast Great Plains.

Two weeks? You'll be LONGING for more time! Remember to carry LOTS of water with you on the parts of the drive west of the Continental Divide, there is a lot of real desert along the way (normal high temps are in the 40-45C range in Las Vegas and Phoenix during summer).

Also, the legal minimum drinking age is 21 in the USA and it is RIGOROUSLY enforced, almost to an absurd level of paranoia. Your passports should be acceptable for proof of age if asked for 'ID'. Further, if you turn 21 between now and next summer, be aware that the date format most commonly used in the USA differs from that used elsewhere, here it is (annoyingly, to me) 'MM-DD-(YY)YY', *NOT* 'DD-MM-(YY)YY', in case of any confusion.

Enjoy the USA!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #552
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Don't except most drivers in urban areas to know proper lane discipline. Sometimes that happens in rural area too.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #553
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It's going to be interesting. I'm looking forward to your pics
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #554
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-70 looks like a very spectacular road west of Denver, from what I've seen on pics. They've constructed the road in Utah in areas without any other roads at all.
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #555
Dan

Thanks for the UK suggestions, Telfordboy and sotonsi! I'll be using my GPS not Google Maps for directions -- hopefully it will suggest better routes...

mgk: unfortunately, haha, SLC is a required top: I'm an American actually, and that is where I am from! I don't take offense to anything you say though, I'm not mormon or like most of the people in the state so it drives me insane - but home is home, and next summer will mark 3 years since I've been there, so we'll be there for 2 nights! But I understand your comment about I-80 -- we'll be doing a full-day drive from Chicago straight to Cheyenne and then driving quite fast to SLC after that so I have some time on that first day to meet old friends.

It will truly be the trip of a lifetime though, most of the route is new to me, so I am really looking forward to it myself - my boyfriend has been to the US several times (he's Swedish) but it's virtually all new to him as well, and my other friend has never been to the US before, so it'll all be new! Plus I'll have turned 21 just weeks before so Vegas will finally be very interesting to me, hehe.

Last edited by Dan; September 19th, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #556
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I-70 looks like a very spectacular road west of Denver, from what I've seen on pics. They've constructed the road in Utah in areas without any other roads at all.
I've driven most of I-70 in UT. It has the US' longest stretch without a gas station. My bf and I found out the hard way coming back from AZ once on a Sunday night in the middle of the night, haha...
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #557
mike7743

Likes (Received): 973

no trip to the East Coast?

boooooooooooo
mike7743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #558
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Why do you say that, you live in California, right?
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #559
Verso
Islander

The trip reminds me of Priscilla.
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #560
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
Thanks for the UK suggestions, Telfordboy and sotonsi! I'll be using my GPS not Google Maps for directions -- hopefully it will suggest better routes...
Another suggestion if you haven't already booked hotels - Do London-Stratford-N Wales-Cardiff-Southampton-London (or vice-versa) - it breaks the long journey between London and North Wales up, it gives a circular route, rather than the messy route you have, where you go north and then come back south before heading north again.

Also worth buying a British road atlas (doesn't really matter if it's not the latest - they'd be some cheap '09 ones knocking about next summer: for the route you are doing, a 5 year old atlas would be fine - there's Telford Service station and that's about all I can think of for what you are doing on most atlases - and only a junction layout change for those that show those bits) - a cheap AA one would do - pick one up at the first services you stop at, or in London. GPS can make the same mistakes as Google Maps, like thinking that the short route would be quicker to get into Southampton (it's been awful today), rather than going round the city and coming in on the better, faster road. Though the road atlas would come into it's own for planning stops and visits to attractions.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip