daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #721
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Have you taken a Kopfschmerztablette?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #722
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Nice trip Panda! I was a bit in shortage of time so did a limited version of my trip.

I skipped the long motorway bits through France and Spain and headed off from Stuttgart, there took the motorway towards Munich, headed south towards Innsbruck before leaving the motorway for local roads passed ski resorts as Kitzbuhel to the start of the Grossglockner pass (really worth a visit!), drove over it and headed towards Klagenfurt. From Klagenfurt headed to Graz then went south towards Maribor. In Slovenia north of Maribor I took a brand new motorway A5 (not listed in satnavs and on google maps) directly towards lake Balaton in Hungary. Since Slovenia and Hungary now belong to the European Shengen countries there are no more borders and custom checks, between Slovenia and Hungary you will only see a small sign on the new motorway that indicates the border. In Hungary there's still a bit of 1+1 on the M7 before merging onto the rest of the new M7 motorway that connects Budapest with Zagreb in Croatia. I continued to Budapest but had to stop in Siofok, stretched town on the shores of lake Balaton (very light blue water). In Siofok is Hotel Azur where you can have some nice drinks on the edge of their pool with views over their gardens and the lake.

Stayed in Budapest for a night or two before continuing to Prague via Slowakia. Last time I was there I drove in opposite direction from Prague to Budapest and missed the motorway exit at Bratislava so had to drive through Bratislava (nice city!). From Prague drove via Plzen towards Nurnberg, in Germany using the new A6 extention from the intersection with the A93 towards Nurnberg. From Nurnberg I followed the A3 all the way to Oberhausen , a lot of roadworks especially in the bit between wurzburg and Frankfurt.

That was it.

I might do another smaller trip to Poland in not to long.

Some pics:

Grossglockner:

Lake Balaton @ Hotel Azur, Siofok:

Prague:

Heavy Rain while the sun shines on the A3 between Wurzburg & Frankfurt:

Dry bit on the A3 near Frankfurt Airport:

Bad weather ahead at the A3 between Frankfurt & Cologne:

Hope you like it!

Des
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #723
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Was there a traffic jam near Würzburg on A3? I was there 2 weeks ago on a saturday around 17.00 hours, had no congestion, but user Palance drove there half an hour earlier and was stuck in traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #724
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
From Klagenfurt headed to Graz then went south towards Maribor. In Slovenia north of Maribor I took a brand new motorway A5 (not listed in satnavs and on google maps) directly towards lake Balaton in Hungary. Since Slovenia and Hungary now belong to the European Shengen countries there are no more borders and custom checks, between Slovenia and Hungary you will only see a small sign on the new motorway that indicates the border. In Hungary there's still a bit of 1+1 on the M7
That's M70. So you went from Graz to Budapest through Slovenia. Was it worth buying a 35-€ vignette for 90 km?
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #725
Des
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
That's M70. So you went from Graz to Budapest through Slovenia. Was it worth buying a 35-€ vignette for 90 km?
Yeah, empty motorways and beautiful weather

One question though, I did see toll stations on the M70, is it possible not to buy the 6 month vignet for € 35 and just pay tolls at the toll stations?
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #726
Des
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Was there a traffic jam near Würzburg on A3? I was there 2 weeks ago on a saturday around 17.00 hours, had no congestion, but user Palance drove there half an hour earlier and was stuck in traffic.
No problems at all. We were very lucky, only had a small traffic jam coming in to Budapest and on the A8 between Stuttgart and Munich. And the weather forecast was 6 days of solid rain while in the end we only had a day of rain while in Budapest and near Frankfurt two times 20 minutes of heavy rains. So overall been very lucky! Highest temperature was in Hungary (30 degrees+) while on the Grossglockner it was 10 degrees (2600 meters)
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #727
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
One question though, I did see toll stations on the M70, is it possible not to buy the 6 month vignet for € 35 and just pay tolls at the toll stations?
M70 = Hungary
€ 35 vignette = Slovenia

Toll stations in Slovenia are only for trucks.
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #728
Ricardo P

Likes (Received): 5

Wow great pics. I'm going on a roadtrip too, via Cochem and the rest of Germany and now I'n really looking forward.

Foto's roadtrip Flickr
Ricardo P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #729
Des
Traveller

Quote:
M70 = Hungary
€ 35 vignette = Slovenia

Toll stations in Slovenia are only for trucks.
Sorry ment the A5

I swear I saw a couple cars cue for the toll stations. The Slovenian system sucks though, how can you expect people to buy a 35€ 6-month vignet while they only need it say 2 times in a 10 day period.
Old June 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #730
Verso
Islander

The funniest thing is that the biggest complaints come from Austria and Italy (apart from Croatia). Austria, which charges every possible tunnel and Italy, which (together with France and Switzerland) charges ridiculous tolls for the Frejus, Mont Blanc and Grand-Saint-Bernard tunnels. I don't think a 5.8-km tunnel is worth more than 500 km of Slovenian motorways, which you can use several times for half a year.
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #731
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

My last visit:

Slovenia: 35 EUR

Austria: 7,70 for a 10-day vignette
2 x 9,50 for the Tauerntunnel

Total: 26,70 EUR. If you take the Karawankentunnel in it (let's say: one timne, since it is half Austrain, hald Slovenian), than it will cost you 6,50 EUR more, 33,20 EUR in total for a returntrip in 10 days, so that is almost the same price as you pay in Slovenia.

If you'd decide to return after 10 days, it will not cost you more in Slovenia, bus 7,70 EUR more in Austria.

A lots of complaints about Slovenia, but the price does not differ that much from Austria.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #732
Verso
Islander

I'm all for the cheapest Slovenian vignette to be cheaper, but Austria and Italy (and the rest of the EU, which complains too) should lower tolls as well.
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #733
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244279

Motorways of France, Germany and Belgium from those photos above are in good shape, very nice... really great routes and of course great photos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #734
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Hmmm, I had to postpone it... didn't feel well all night and now I have kopfschmerzen
How about tomorrow?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #735
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I have to work tomorrow
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #736
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

So my trip is over, I took ca. 700 pics, but only from route Łódź - Lwów, because on the way back I took a well known route:

Section I DK1/91 Łódź - Piotrków Trybunalski (35 km)

Section II DK12/74 Piotrków Trybunalski - Sulejów (12km)

Section III DK74 Sulejów - Kielce - Opatów (145km)

Section IV DK9 Opatów - Lipnik (11km)

Section V DK77 Lipnik - Przemyśl (165km)

Section VI DK28/M11 Przemyśl - Lwów(Львів) (90km)
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #737
Verso
Islander

PLH, upgrade to Pro today! A lot of pics are visible though. What a great trip! And what a bad road on the Ukrainian side, even though it's short and their main link with the West. Those Polish roads are way better. It's interesting how even eastern Poland looks much richer than western Ukraine.
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #738
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

here are pictures i took from vienna-budapest-szeged-arad road taken during my one week bus trip to vienna:
http://picasaweb.google.com/rmihailucian/Vienna#
unfortunately i couldn't take photos of more romanian roads because we travelled through romania during the night.the route chosen was the classical one: vienna-A4-M1-budapest(M0)-M5-Szeged-national road 43-nagylak-national road DN7-arad-sibiu-pitesti-bucharest.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #739
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I want to make another roadtrip, but weather has been quite bad for the last weeks... Hard to plan this in advance. I was thinking about a 2 - 3 day trip including the Polish A4 and German A20. But I'm not sure.
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #740
Des
Traveller

I did a lot of road trips over the years, will try to put some pics up later first a list of trips:
  • Amsterdam -> Paris -> Le Mans -> Biaritz -> Bilbao -> Pamplona -> San Sebastian -> Paris -> Amsterdam
  • Amsterdam -> Le Mans -> Nice -> Dijon -> Amsterdam
  • Amsterdam -> Cannes -> Monaco -> Amsterdam
  • Amsterdam -> Berlin -> Venice -> Stuttgart -> Düsseldorf
  • Düsseldorf -> Berlin -> Prague -> Budapest -> Zagreb -> Dubrovnik -> Lake Garda -> Monaco -> Zurich
  • London -> Spa -> Brussels
  • Amsterdam -> Zurich -> Verbier -> Aosta -> Modena -> Zurich -> Stuttgart -> Amsterdam
  • Rotterdam -> Geneva -> Turin -> Cannes -> Paris -> Rotterdam
  • Amsterdam -> Enschede -> Papenburg -> Luxemburg -> Zurich -> Amsterdam
  • Milano -> Monza -> Stuttgart -> Nurburg -> Neuremberg -> Munich -> Amsterdam
  • Geneva -> Milano -> Nurburg -> Amsterdam
  • Cape Town -> Swellendam -> Knysna -> Cape Town -> Clanwilliam -> Cape Town
  • Miami -> New Orleans -> San Antonio -> Tuscon -> Las Vegas -> Los Angeles -> San Francisco
  • London -> Stuttgart -> Klagenfurt -> Budapest -> Prague -> Nurburg -> Brussels
  • Amsterdam -> Berlin -> Poznan -> Amsterdam

I can't remember all the single destination drives, don't think they count as road trips anyway. This map shows all roads driven:

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip