daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM   #881
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How do you communicate with people in Bulgaria and Greece? Do they speak some English?
Especially the youngsters speak some English, mostly in Greece, but also in Bulgaria. In Bulgaria many people seem to know also a little bit of Deutsch.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:16 PM   #882
panda80

Immediately after Yambol:

NR.7 after Yambol:

Intersection with the large Yambol bypass:

Going to Shumen:

Old January 21st, 2010, 04:38 PM   #883
panda80

Nice straight road:

Intersection with NR6:

After the intersection, on NR7 to Shumen:

Old January 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM   #884
panda80

We are on the foothills of Balkan mountains:

Old January 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #885
panda80

It got darker and darker as we are climbing the Balkan mountain range to the Kotel pass:

The last photo of my trip:

Old January 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM   #886
panda80

After that it got so dark that it was impossible to take more pictures. I continued on the road Omurtag-Shumen-Silistra-Cernavoda-Fetesti-Tandarei-Baraganu-Braila. I had to take this detour through Cernavoda because there were no other cars at the ferry from Silistra, so it didn't run just for us.
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM   #887
AnonymvsBeaver

Likes (Received): 2939

Quote:
Interesting, I think I found it, route 55 between Svilengrad and Mladinovo?

[IMG]http://i50.************/2la3mkk.jpg[/IMG]
It's not an old runway that was turned into a part of the road, but rather a spare runway in case of war or for some emergency landing
AnonymvsBeaver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:18 PM   #888
AnonymvsBeaver

Likes (Received): 2939

These are some really interesting pictures, Panda, both from Greece and Bulgaria. I haven't been to that part of either country yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Good to see that Istanbul is signed on the A1 in Bulgaria
I think this is normal... isn't it?

Quote:
Why is there no traffic in Bulgaria? I see like one car driving on those pics. Maybe it's the Bulgarian Outback
It kind of is
The Rhodopi Mountains are considered one of Europe's richest places in terms of biodiversity, because there're so few people living there and so little traffic. A strip along the whole border used to be a border zone, so almost no people went there for more than 50 years. I've heard the place was swarming with wild animals..

Last edited by AnonymvsBeaver; January 21st, 2010 at 09:25 PM.
AnonymvsBeaver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:27 AM   #889
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18762

Thanks Panda! I didn't know that Yambol-Kotel-Omurtag was in such a good shape. Too bad it was dark when you took Omurtag-Shumen. It's a fine recently rehabilitated road as well, with 2x2 around Targovishte and a lot of 3 lane stretches between Targovishte and Shumen. Only the pass before Targovishte is a little tricky How were the roads after that? Between Shumen and Silistra? I have never driven on them ...
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:45 AM   #890
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymvsBeaver View Post
I think this is normal... isn't it?
Exactly, so why don't the Greeks sign it?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM   #891
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Exactly, so why don't the Greeks sign it?
Because we are on the bloody Balkans ... Few years ago there was no sign "Belgrade" all the way from Zagreb to the CRO-SRB border... Same goes for GR-TR i guess.
It is funny though how some greek forumers wrote that the territory of Greece, close to the border with Turkey and Bulgaria is very densely populated and they practically know nothing about it unless someone went to serve his military service there. The same was in the "triangle of Death" on the Bulgarian side... For half a century this was just a military zone close to the most dangerous corner of our country where we had closed borders with two countries from NATO and the other side of the iron curtain... I guess it must be the same on Turkish territory. Besides Greece and Turkey had a war conflict in the 70-ies... And the irony is that those areas of Thrace located on Greek, Bulgarian and Turkish territory are with some of the most fertile soils ...

Last edited by Turnovec; January 22nd, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM   #892
panda80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnovec View Post
Thanks Panda! I didn't know that Yambol-Kotel-Omurtag was in such a good shape. Too bad it was dark when you took Omurtag-Shumen. It's a fine recently rehabilitated road as well, with 2x2 around Targovishte and a lot of 3 lane stretches between Targovishte and Shumen. Only the pass before Targovishte is a little tricky How were the roads after that? Between Shumen and Silistra? I have never driven on them ...
Yes, road no 48 through Kotel pass has a very good pavement, and it's quite a scenic road. But I was a little bit dissapointed that the direct road no 7 to Shumen is not driveable, seems to me the logical road between Yambol and Shumen. Also most maps see it as the main road. Do you know about a plan to make it a normal 1+1 road?Regarding Omurtag-Shumen, yes, it's a good road, but I couldn't enjoy it as it was dark, raining and very crowded. I definetely have to go there by day, I want to see the whole E772 from Shumen till A2 when possible. Between Shumen and Silistra road needs rehabilitation, feels shaky when driving, very bumpy but not big potholes. Nevertheless you can do 100km/h without problems. I heard that this road is in a rehabilitation program.
Old January 30th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #893
Pastaie

Likes (Received): 43

Hello to everyone. I would be grateful if you could present me a list or at least a few places that one should not miss during a euro-trip by car doable in 1 to 1 and a half months, in summer time (I would prefer if you could present me some of the least knowned interesting touristic attractions). My current location, btw, if this matters, is Bucharest, România.

Last edited by Pastaie; January 31st, 2010 at 12:22 AM.
Pastaie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:11 AM   #894
Escher

Likes (Received): 25

I posted this a long time ago but it was lost...think it's interesting since I see too few pics of Brazilian roads here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcuri View Post
Some pictures from the trip I had done this year. It begins around Bonito, Mato Grosso do Sul state and ends near Atibaia, São Paulo state, where my battery went over...

In the map, from left to right.

BR-267 near Jardim/MS

Here we will take BR-060 to Campo Grande, capital of Mato Grosso do Sul state. Ahead is Porto Murtinho, on the border with Paraguay.

Here Asuncion, capital of Paraguay is signed in spanish but mispelled (double ss). Very rare signing a foreign city in Brazil (normally only the country name is signed and only very near the border). In portuguese would be Assunção.

BR-060 going to Campo Grande/MS. All this cities are on BR-267 westbound towards Bolívia but we will take it eastbound.

Passing through a village

Arriving in Campo Grande. We won't enter the city, instead we take the bypass to BR-262 that take us to the state border with São Paulo state.

BR-262 between Campo Grande and São Paulo state border. Mato Grosso do Sul is one of the least populated states, hundreds of kms of cattle farms, as seen clearly on the images. This stretch until the border has aprox 340km and only one tiny town in the middle of it.

Around Três Lagoas, last city in MS. 12km to the border with SP

Control post between states.

Goodbye Mato Grosso do Sul!! Some distances on the panel.

Now we approach the dam on the Paraná River, which divides the two states. The road goes above the dam!

The traffic light closes twice a day for a lock on the dam for passing thru ships.

Above the dam. There are plans to buid a bridge on this area to bypass the traffic from passing here. The heavy traffic is damaging the dam and low speed limits, stops because the lock hinders the traffic.

Welcome to São Paulo!

In the border the BR-262 turns to SP-300 (Via Marechal Rondon), and goes freeway until Botucatu, 400 kms ahead. There, you can take another road (Via Castello Branco, also a freeway) until São Paulo city (more 200km). But we will exit before, as I want to avoid SP chaotic traffic!

Typical km post of SP. The 0km is on the Sé square, in SP capital.

Lots of sugar cane and orange fields as well pastures.

This is our exit! We will take now SP-225 eastbound.

SP-225. The small yellow plates on the side of the road, together with the markings on the asphalt helps the driver keep a good distance from the front car in case of fog, very common by here.

Bridge above Tietê River (I don´t know why I didn´t click the bridge! )

Passing through Jaú

This stretch of the road has been doubled not too much time ago, as can be seen on the erased markings on the asphalt.

Now we get the SP-310 (Via Washington Luiz) south towards Rio Claro/São Paulo until Campinas.

After a break night in Campinas, we continue through SP-65 (Via D.Pedro I)

On the background, we can see Bourbon Hotel Resort, in Atibaia.

We are approaching the junction with BR-381 (Fernão Dias highway), which links São Paulo to Belo Horizonte, capital of Minas Gerais state (3rd metro in Brazil).

Well, unfortunately, battery ended too early. I would have showed all the way until Rio de Janeiro but...
Escher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:11 PM   #895
panda80

Very nice pics! Indeed there are not too many pictures from brazilian roads on the international section, even if Brazilia seems to have one of the best highway/freeway system in South America, together with Chile.
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:54 AM   #896
Penhorn
alps @ SSP

Likes (Received): 5

Nice pictures! That pyramid dam building is pretty cool looking. Cool Bulgaria pics too, I would like to visit.

I find highway/runway combinations very interesting - there are so many in Europe.
Penhorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM   #897
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

Budapest -> North Hungary (2009.06.)

M3 motorway

M30 motorway

Miskolc

Lillafüred

Somewhere between Lillafüred and Aggtelek

Ragály

Road nr 27

1 picture from Slovakia

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #898
panda80

Very good pics . I really like them, M3 motorway looks great and also the county roads in the Bukk area seem quite pictuoresque.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM   #899
Sponsor

Nice countryside but you chose bad angle to shoot (you showed mainly sky and road just as an addition).
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM   #900
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Great report!

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip