daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #81
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

What is wrong with that? They have it too in Denmark, works pretty good. It's a different kind of taper.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #82
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I agree with arriaca. In my opinion, a lane should clearly begin or clearly end, without splitting or merging.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM   #83
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

As long as the lane marking works in conjunction with the signage (either through diagrammatic information or "EXIT ONLY" signs), I don't see a problem with either style.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM   #84
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Sure, it is not a big deal. However, it is still better when the marking clearly shows which lane ends and who should yield upon merging. And all it takes is just a bit more paint
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM   #85
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriaca View Post
I hate this type of marking line, M-45 exit to A2 (Madrid, Spain)
<picture>
This is very common in Ontario, whenever there is more than one lane exiting a motorway or when a motorway splits like in the above picture into perhaps two diverging motorways.

Often before exits you see this sign:

This sign is very common in Toronto and other cities, since almost all exits in big cities have at least 2 lanes. It means that the rightmost lane will split in the middle like this and exit. One confusing thing about this sign is that while it implies that the 2 right-most lanes are exiting (which is true in a way), it actually means that the right-most lane (with the word EXIT under it) will actually begin as an exit lane, i.e. it does not yet exit, so the lane to the left of it is actually the rightmost current through lane. I got confused like this at first, staying in the 2nd lane from the right thinking that it would split, but it just continued

The sign for a splitting motorway is this one, although it's not as confusing as the above sign:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I agree with arriaca. In my opinion, a lane should clearly begin or clearly end, without splitting or merging.
I agree, but strictly speaking, if you have a split like the one above, you don't really have a choice. The only way to make a proper beginning and end is to physically add multiple new exit lanes to the right, which isn't always possible, especially when a motorway splits into two different motorways.
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #86
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

Balkan Roadtrip: Suggestions?

Hi all!

Me and some friends are planning a summer holiday roadtrip, we've done this already a couple of times in previous years. Usually we don't really plan the excact route and destinations, just going where the highway takes us.

This year though we wanted something more adventurous than Spain, France or Italy. The idea came to explore the balkan area by car. We all feel very attracted by this region.

We have set ourselves to include city trips, fun, culture and outdoor sports. During a brainstorm and some searching on the internet a list of possible destinations was made:

City trips and culture:
-Ljubljana, Slovenia
-Zagreb, Croatia
-Sofia, Bulgaria
-Istanbul, Turkey
-Dubrovnik, Croatia

Fun, beaches and nightlife:
-Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
-Marmaris, Turkey
-Corfu, Greece

Nature, outdoors, active:
-suggestions?

Feel free to make suggestions for other cities, beaches, hotspots and all other places worth visiting. The best and most beautiful places are the ones only known by locals.
Here is a map with the global route we has in mind:

Some other questions we have are the following (It's not ment to be offensive in any way, but i do need honest answers about possible risks):
-Is it safe to travel through countries like Serbia, Albania, Bulgaria etc?
-What can we expect at bordercrossing between the various countries?
-What are the do's and don'ts in the various countries
-Are euro's widely accepted?
-Which regions do you consider dangerous for tourists?

I hope to see some honest aswers and good suggestions, Thanks in advance!
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #87
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

First thing is, i spent 2 weeks in Croatia. I can only tell about this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CborG
City trips and culture:
-Zagreb, Croatia
-Dubrovnik, Croatia
Dubrovnik is beautiful, but also you should visit Zadar and Split.

Quote:
Nature, outdoors, active:
-suggestions?
You can't tell, you've seen Croatia without visiting Plitvica lakes. Also try to sail to Hvar and Bisevo

Quote:
-Is it safe to travel through countries like Serbia, Albania, Bulgaria etc?
-Which regions do you consider dangerous for tourists?
I wouldn't travel through Albania and Kosovo.
In Bosnia there are still many mined areas. Drive only asphalted roads, don't step aside.

Quote:
-What can we expect at bordercrossing between the various countries?
I crossed borders from Slovenia to Croatia and from Croatia to Bosnia usually even without showing my passport. But also i've seen cars asked to customs control, especially these filled with bags or pulling caravan or boat. If it's possible, drive through small bordercrossings, main ones are usually jammed and you can loose much time.

Quote:
-Are euro's widely accepted?
In Slovenia it's no problem at all . In Croatia also, there are many money changes. Some of them, in big cities, change money without fees. In Bosnia (Mostar) euro and croatian kuna are accepted. If you pay in euro, goods are a little bit cheaper.

And don't buy cd's dvd's and movies in Bosnia. I wonder if they know, what copyright is.
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #88
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 804

I got a similar idea yesterday when watching the Romanian and Bulgarian highway topics.

I've done a little roadtrip last year from Budapest to Zagreb, Zagreb to Dubrovnik and on to Italy.

Croatia has some of the best highways in the world with little traffic, watch out for the cops though they have modern undercover Mercedes's that will pull you over

Going down from Dubrovnik to Tirana is doable, but from Tirana down to Greece I would say is not good, road is in terrible condition and if your car hits a puthole and breaks down you're ****ed. Maybe you can go from Tirana through Macedonia to Greece instead. Greek roads are fine, drivers are a bit crazy though but that's the story of the Balkans.

Going from Sofia to Belgrade is no problem at all. Be aware that a lot of trucks are heading from Turkey to Western Europe, which can make driving very exhausting. In most countries people do accept euro's but they can and some will rip you off with the exchange rate. Bringing some spare local currency can also speed up your border crossings

Travelling to the Balkan's I would advise you to select an hotel at each town you want to visit, and if you're planning a long trip pick a backup hotel somewhere along the route in case you are delayed. Often you can make reservations without having to pay beforehand. In towns like Dubrovnik and Zagreb and probably most of Greece and Turkey you will always be able to find a good hotel or campsite upon arrival, but in the other countries make a reservation in advance.
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #89
SRB

Likes (Received): 0

why not visiting Belgrade
SRB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #90
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

One more thing: you should drive Thessaloniki-Sofia road.
a za oknem słonko świeci.
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #91
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i know quite many people who traveled to Albania by car and there are no major problems as kids with kalashnikovs, like people are used to expect there.anyway, infrastructure is still at the beginnings of the construction so that's the main reason why it's better to travel carefully and during the day. and you can be robbed also in Sweden or Switzerland, right? at the trip you are never safe enough, but people who are planning trips like this usually know it and know how to take care

fo return route through Croatia i'd suggest not to take A1 or D1, but D8 road which runs just next to the sea from Dubrovnik to Rijeka. scenery is beatiful, road is in good condition (although in summer it is jammed), it doesn't run through centres of the places, but you can stop whereever you expect to see something nice. and scenery is wonderfull because in each moment at the right side you have mountains, and at left sea and islands. especially i like part from Zadar to Rijeka which is not touristicly exposed too much yet. the only bad thing in case of using D8 is missing the Plitvice lakes. also, average speed without stopping will be max 55, maybe 60, so plan at least 3 h for Dubrovnik - Split or 4 h Zadar - Rijeka

of course, in summer border crossings are jammed because of huge amount of vehicles. avoid friday-sunday period for bordercrossings and it will not hurt so much
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #92
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaciej7 View Post
One more thing: you should drive Thessaloniki-Sofia road.
Yeah definatly, and make some real Struma pics
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #93
bgplayer19

No doubt !Some info about Bulgaria if you are going into Bulgaria from Serbia(Kalotina) there is no problem of going to the Black Sea or even Turkey because the roads are well maintained and from Sofia-Bourgas there are 280/370 km highway(Trakiya motorway);if you're heading for Turkey then you follow Trakiya motorway and right after Plovdiv there is a sign for Istanbul.Then you are on the E80 heading for Istanbul(Maritsa motorway).You follow the road to the town Svilengrad and there is the border!When you get in Turkey there is motorway all the way to Istanbul
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #94
Zabonz
Master Planner

Likes (Received): 1353

I would recommend you Krka and Kornati NP in croatia for nature part, they are really stunning and easily accessible
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #95
bgplayer19

i would recommend Pirin,Rila and especially Mussala(2925m)-the highest peak on the Balkans !Maybe Rodopi and Stara Planina and the Rose Valley near Kazanlak
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #96
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Paklenica National Park

Krka National Park

There are more but these are on your way from Zagreb to Dubrovnik. And also visit Zadar and Split.
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #97
Jünyus Brütüs
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 106

When you enter Turkey from Bulgaria, you will use TEM Motorway. It's wide, flat and well developed all the way through Istanbul so you'll be in Istanbul two hours later. I advice you to drive at night through Istanbul because it is possible to spend more than 2 hours for enter Istanbul after your arrival because of traffic jam. Many people try to turn back at home from industrial areas around... you can go crazy because of the traffic. After your visit in Istanbul, I suggest you to pass Bosphorus through Anatolian side and go to Kartal by seaside way from Kadikoy through Kartal! And use ferry instead of motorway through south from Anatolian side of Istanbul to Yalova or Bursa. Marmaris is way more southern than Izmir. If you want to go there you need to pass whole Agean.

I hope you will enjoy... have a nice trip...

Oh, I want to add fuel is far more expensive in Turkey than any other country around. So keep your tank full in Bulgaria before entering Turkey

Btw we made a similiar trip in Balkans( Bulgaria, Serbia, Albania, Bosnia, Croatia...) in the late 90's. It was crazy and adventurous. I was a child but enjoyed so much, nothing bad happened... This is 2008, I guess ex-commie countries are far more safer now

Last edited by Jünyus Brütüs; April 19th, 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Jünyus Brütüs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #98
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Visit the Castles and Fortresses link in my signature for some attractions .

Other than that, I dont know how long you will stay at different places, but renting a sea side property in Croatia can be very rewarding . Altough I dont know how easy it is to do so south of split, I did so north of Split but then again i come from the region so we know people down there... now if you will stop by anywhere in bosnia you might be interested in a guided hiking tour, there are several hiking companies there and the nature is fantastic with its contrasts, height differences, saturated green fields and forests. One of the last remaining primeval forests of Europe are in Bosnia. So it fits the "nature/outdoor" label. As far as mines are concerned they are pretty well mapped and its not a problem if you would take a guided tour.

here are some images http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=487674

http://www.mtsobek.com/mts/bos

http://www.bosnian-mountaintourism.com/

http://www.ilovebosnia.com

... and some more galleries http://www.bosnian-mountaintourism.com/gallery/

Im sure you can find more organizers as well. Some croatian based ones lead you through bosnia as well especially if you are going rafting etc, so youd experience both nations. Whereas some bosnian ones will have offers for the croatian coast as well...

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]

Last edited by Alle; April 20th, 2008 at 02:49 AM.
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #99
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

As you know, we're in the same Eurozone as you are and Montenegro and Kosovo use euro too. You shouldn't miss Bled in Slovenia, Belgrade, Ephesus (Efes) in Turkey and Plitvice Lakes in Croatia (beside those you listed). And Struma, of course.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #100
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

Ohrid lake and Ohrid town in Macedonia is just great
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip