daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #1021
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
I suppose this is related to the Hungarian "Vįm"?

Thanks you for your pictures. The small 'transit' part between Romania and Ukraine in the south (how long is it? I can hardly be more than 5 km) is interesting. This should cause a lot of delay in someone's trip, 2 borderposts in such a short range.
I don't know the word etimology, but these 2 words have a similar meaning.That part is about 2.3km long between the 2 moldavian checkposts. Indeed it's a nightmare to pass through these borders, it can take more than 2 hours, and not because the border crossing is congested, but because it takes a lot of time for a single car to pass.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #1022
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
The trip was done on 10th of April.

@ChrisZwolle

I don't have a general picture of Ukraine as I've been to only a small part of this huge country to european standards. But regarding this part of country, it looks somewhat like 1997 Romania. The roads are pretty poor and some block of flats in the towns look uninhabitable.Regarding village houses, they look like in the romanian region of Baragan, meaning they are poor, with no installations excepting electricity.
The mentality of people seemed not to changed a lot since Soviet times, we were on the verge of being arrested because of not having a stamped paper at the border. We completed that paper, but we didn't know it must be stamped because nobody explained this to us. On that paper you must provide a real adress to where you are going in Ukraine. I asked the man at the border to tell us a street and a number in the town of Reni. They are not used with tourists, they looked at us as we were smugglers.
In Romania a lot of things changed in the last years, our communist blocks of flats are rehabilitated thermally and aestethically, our national roads are better and better, we are building some motorways, we see more and more beautiful houses in the towns and villages, our old Dacia's are no more than a relic of the past. We have at least 3-4 malls and hypermarkets in every city of more than 120-130k inhabitants. We enjoy travelling freely in Europe and many of us been at least once in central or western part of it.
I think now Moldova has a chance with this pro-western government, while Ukraine chose another direction at the last elections.
I still remember being in Munich in 1986, boarding a train for Salzburg. The train was continuing on to Budapest and Bucharest; it was one of the few trains that trip that was late - left about half an hour late, because there were lots of people getting on with enormous amounts of luggage. Couldn't help wondering whether it was Hungarians and Romanians who were rarely permitted to travel. Hope that's not offensive....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #1023
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Unfortunatelly I did not make road pictures last summer on the trip comprising more than 5000 km of the European motorways and highways. The trip started in Friesland (NL) went through Prague, Brno, Bratislava, Wien, Budapest, Bukurest, Constanta (Romania, Black Sea) and back through Calafat, stripe of Bulgaria, Belegrad, Zagreb, Maribor, A9 in Austria, and back to NL.

The last posts made me think about it again. In general, comparing the pictures posted from Ukraine and the road quality in Romania. I must say, that we talk about different level. However we talk also about different level comparing road quality in Romania and e.g. Visegrad countries. The same goes when we compare the CE with e.g. The Netherlands.

Main difference is that the roads in Romania in many places were repaved, reconstructed, they are taken care for. In same places are roads in bad conditions, and in any case, they are rather crowded on the main transit routes, due to the lack of motorways. As I was afraid to drive Peugeot 206 to the shore of Black Sea before we went I may state now, that it should not pose bigger problems than sometimes more careful driving and loking for potholes in some sections. Sometimes you can be suprised, like a gravel road in the middle of Bucurest at the place where we took a hotel, but that is more due to the permanent reconstruction in many places. The country is in huge internal infrastructure debt (same as in Czechoslovakia after the fall of communism, just now being repaired in Czech and Slovak republic). One complaint would be about the quality of reconstruction sometimes. Fast work is not allways the best, and a newly paved road may surprise you with 15 cm hole in the middle of it. Thats just the drainage that could not be repaved, but was not put higher. You have to watch for this stuff (especially with small peugeot).

In general the country reminded me of situation in the 90s in the Czech republic. However the dynamics is I guess bigger. Few highlights. In Constanta I was to a shop that could serve as museum of how the shop worked when first people wanted to start their private grocery shop in 90s in CR but did not have in fact things to sell and clients to buy them. However on the suburbs I was to a hypermarket of the Makro/Metro type flooded with stuff. The car is the utmost important status thing for Romunians guys according to one guy that I talked with on coasy evening in one Casa house in Constanta. I can confirm that with my eyes. It seemed to me that there is more BMWs, Audis, VW, etc on the streets than in The Netherlands (but the Dutch don't really need to and don't do show off). However, no Porsches. And the garbage around the roads was immense, but that requires the people to understand the concept of freedom first and change their behavier. That what they do affects them anyway sooner or later. It was same in CR at first. And dogs of course, that's I guess local phenomena.

Overall it was very pleasent stay and I recommend it to anyone. I wouldnt be scared for burglary or so as it can happen anywhere. E.g. if you park with things stupidly in front of Tesco in Slovakia and leave it unatended for few hours, or in Amsterdam. Just be carefull and think first where you leave it. The problem is with campings as the concept as we know it from CE is I guess hugelly unknown in Romania and Bulgaria. However by the main roads are sooner or later some pensions where the price for room is around the price of camping in Austria. However the prices are rising.

If you consider a roadtrip to Romania I recommend it. For navigation use Nav & Go. It covers the country rather well. No problem in Bucurest whatsoever. Enjoy the transfagarassian .

One of few places where a bear on road caused actually a traffic jam. It was worth to wait and see.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #1024
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

I did only few pictures. In fact I started to read SSC after this trip. I recovered few pics from the trip.

After some time in Romania. The road goes from Oradea to Biaus if I remember. The gravel is a rest stop by the road. Sorry. I did not then make these pictures becaus of roads. Next time .

Somewhere at the start of Transfagarassian.

At it.

On the other side of Fagaras. The road goes on the top of the dam.

Road between Constanta and Cernavoda. Most reconsturcted transit roads look like this I guess.

The ferry at Calafat, following picture is the actuall ferry and from the ferry.

Quite usual picture at certain times on some roads in Romania. This one is however from the road in Bulgaria. From Calafat towards Serbian borders.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #1025
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Quite usual picture at certain times on some roads in Romania. This one is however from the road in Bulgaria. From Calafat towards Serbian borders.
Netherlands

[IMG]http://i45.************/280qt1k.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #1026
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
That's all from my trip to Moldova&Ukraine. All in all an interesting trip, I never been before to Ukraine and to Moldova I've been only once, but about 15 years ago. We (me and some romanian forumers like LeClerk and Nebunul) intend to go to Chisinau this summer for a weekend trip. So more photos from moldavian roads and places in 2-3 months time.

I will be waiting for you If you need help or something else you can contact me. I will try to help
AlexisMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #1027
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12044

Thanks a lot. We'll get in touch before we go there.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #1028
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Now I'll post a road trip I took this last weekend. This is the route I managed to take pictures of:

This is part of the so-called E81 road which is one of the most trafficked roads in Romania because it is part of European Corridor IV. Currently there are works on different sections parallel to this E 81 road to build a motorway. The road in the pictures is E81 from near Sibiu all the way through the Olt Gorge to Pitesti where A1 motorway starts.

So we start with E81 from about 20 km to Sibiu:

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #1029
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

E 81 on the road to Sibiu:

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #1030
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #1031
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Last edited by Le Clerk; May 24th, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #1032
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Last edited by Le Clerk; May 24th, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1033
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1034
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1035
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Aproaching Sibiu:

(on the right it's the airport)

This is already in the city. Until late this year when the motorway by-pass will be hopefully completed, the traffic is still made through the city:

Last edited by Le Clerk; May 25th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #1036
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Driving through the city:

Exiting the city already:

Old May 25th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1037
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Now going towards the spectacular Olt Gorge:

(in the background you can see the snow-covered peaks of the Fagaras Massif)

You can see here the motorway by-pass bridge:

Old May 25th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #1038
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

On the same road E81, going towards the Olt Gorge:

This is a small town before entering the gorge:

Old May 25th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #1039
Pastaie

Likes (Received): 43

Mă uitam pe pozele postate de panda şi apoi pe cele ale tale şi remarcam ce diferenţă e totuşi īntre Romānia şi Moldova.

I was looking over the photos posted by panda and then on yours and I was remarking what a difference is though between Romania and Moldavia.
Pastaie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #1040
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

I think the 2 countries had very different paths of development so it's kinda normal...

Moving on with the pictures. Still on the way to the gorge:

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip