daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:43 AM   #1101
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

@Hofburg: I drove part of your route in the other direction friday!

I drove from Berlin to Brussels via Sopot, Poznan and Innsbruck...

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:06 AM   #1102
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

OMG, that's a trip! but why so curvy? I see you took Insbruck - Fussen road. One of my favourite. any photos?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:12 AM   #1103
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

My trip next week I can't wait!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,27.993164&z=5
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:47 AM   #1104
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Hey, I suppose you should as Hofburg to loan his GPS because your trip plan is not really the most optimal way from Brussels to Berlin ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
@Hofburg: I drove part of your route in the other direction friday!

I drove from Berlin to Brussels via Sopot, Poznan and Innsbruck...

Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM   #1105
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Hey, I suppose you should as Hofburg to loan his GPS because your trip plan is not really the most optimal way from Brussels to Berlin ;-)
Thanks, when I look at it it's kinda
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #1106
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

hehe. how much time did you spend on the trip?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1107
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Now I will show you some photos from my trip to Turkey, between 8-15th of May. I used the following route: Bucharest-Giurgiu-Russe-Razgrad-Targovishte-Omurtag-Kotel-Yambol-Elhovo-Lesovo-Hamzabeyli-Edirne-Uzunkopru-Gelibolu-Lapseki-Canakkale-Can-Balikesir-Akhisar-Salihli-Denizli-Korkuteli-Antalya-Kundu resort.
I stayed a few days in a hotel in Kundu, then i returned home via the following places:
Antalya-Manavgat-Seydisehir-Konya-Aksaray-Nevsehir-Goreme (stayed there 2 nights, in the middle of Cappadocia) -Kirsehir-Kirikkale-Ankara-Istanbul (stayed 1 night there)-Edirne-Svilengrad-Harmanli-Haskovo-Simeonovgrad-Nova Zagora-Veliko Tarnovo-Russe-Bucharest.

Few impressions about roads in Turkey. This country has very good roads and many cities are linked by 2+2 directions separated highways. On all remaining 1+1 sections I travelled, there were enlargement works to 2+2. So you can easily drive 120km/h as there are very few inhabited places, and police seemed to be very friendly with tourists, not harrasing them at all. Also roads, excepting the big cities, are not very crowded.

Unfortunately I have photos only from some sections as I was the driver most of the time.

The first bunch of photos are from inside Antalya:

panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1108
panda80

Exiting Antalya towards Manavgat and Konya, on D400:

On D400:

Old August 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #1109
panda80

Entering Serik, a suburb of 51100 inhabitants. Usually, in Turkey, they show the number of inhabitants (nufus) of the town and the altitude where it lies (rakim).

Intersection towards Belek, a famous seaside resort:

On D400 towards Manavgat:

Old August 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #1110
panda80

Near Manavgat. We took the bypass, unfortunately we didn't had time to visit the famous waterfall (selale):

Bridge over Manavgat river:

Old August 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #1111
panda80

We took the road to Konya, D695:

The road is very spectacular passing through Taurus (Toros) mountains. The highest point is Alacabel pass, over 1800 m a.s.l. Usually, the road is 1+2:

Old August 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #1112
panda80

Old August 7th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #1113
Planen B

Likes (Received): 1

Quick question, maybe some locals or people who have done a similar route can advise I have never driven in the US before (and it's not something I'm particularly concerned with), but for this holiday we've planned a small road trip to connect 2 of the cities we're visiting.

It's nothing impressive and we'd like to do a real road trip one day, but it's not gonna be this year

The route is a slight detour, because I'd like to see something more than just I-15. We expect to leave by about 9:00 and arrive around dinner time, say 19:00, at the latest (which is perfectbly possible, but just so you know what kind of time we want to be spending max incl. rest stops). Is there another route you'd recommend as far as seeing some more of the scenery on the way than just I-15 (or is I-15 actually the more scenic route), or is this a nice route? Are there enough gas stations alongside of it (with toilets) etc.?

We'll also be bringing food and water with us, but it could be nice to stop somewhere halfway, say Barstow, CA, and have a fresh bite and some leg stretching. How safe is it to leave the car unattended for 30 mins or so, maybe even in sight?

Last edited by Planen B; August 7th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.
Planen B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #1114
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
Now I will show you some photos from my trip to Turkey, between 8-15th of May. I used the following route: Bucharest-Giurgiu-Russe-Razgrad-Targovishte-Omurtag-Kotel-Yambol-Elhovo-Lesovo-Hamzabeyli-Edirne-Uzunkopru-Gelibolu-Lapseki-Canakkale-Can-Balikesir-Akhisar-Salihli-Denizli-Korkuteli-Antalya-Kundu resort.
I stayed a few days in a hotel in Kundu, then i returned home via the following places:
Antalya-Manavgat-Seydisehir-Konya-Aksaray-Nevsehir-Goreme (stayed there 2 nights, in the middle of Cappadocia) -Kirsehir-Kirikkale-Ankara-Istanbul (stayed 1 night there)-Edirne-Svilengrad-Harmanli-Haskovo-Simeonovgrad-Nova Zagora-Veliko Tarnovo-Russe-Bucharest.
Could you show it on a map? D695 looks great.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1115
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planen B View Post
Quick question, maybe some locals or people who have done a similar route can advise I have never driven in the US before (and it's not something I'm particularly concerned with), but for this holiday we've planned a small road trip to connect 2 of the cities we're visiting.

It's nothing impressive and we'd like to do a real road trip one day, but it's not gonna be this year

The route is a slight detour, because I'd like to see something more than just I-15. We expect to leave by about 9:00 and arrive around dinner time, say 19:00, at the latest (which is perfectbly possible, but just so you know what kind of time we want to be spending max incl. rest stops). Is there another route you'd recommend as far as seeing some more of the scenery on the way than just I-15 (or is I-15 actually the more scenic route), or is this a nice route? Are there enough gas stations alongside of it (with toilets) etc.?

We'll also be bringing food and water with us, but it could be nice to stop somewhere halfway, say Barstow, CA, and have a fresh bite and some leg stretching. How safe is it to leave the car unattended for 30 mins or so, maybe even in sight?
I drove most of the roads you plan to drive. The bit from Temecula to Palm Springs is really scenic. Especially descent just before Palm Springs.
From Barstow to Las Vegas there isn't really alternative to I-15. And interstate itself is quite scenic. I love roads crossing deserts.
You shouldn't have trouble with finding gas stations or places to eat. Barstow is major service center between LA and LV. There are few gas stations and fast food joints to choose from.

What do you mean by leaving car? If you lock it there shouldn't be a problem, just don't leave anything valuable in plain sight. Hide it in the booth.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #1116
Planen B

Likes (Received): 1

Yes, it was more about the part between SD and Barstow, don't really feel like going through urban landscapes on a highway when we could be seeing desert scenes It's good to hear it was a nice ride!

By leaving the car unattended I mean, let's say we have lunch at a (roadside) (fast food) restaurant, and leave it in a parking lot for 30 minutes, locked, with all obvious stuff with us (passports, money, everything), but luggage (clothes) still in it. There's always a risk it gets taken obviously, but I just wanted to know if there's any areas where that risk is particularly high :p
Planen B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1117
panda80

The route from Antalya to Konya:

Old August 8th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #1118
panda80

We are getting closer to Konya. 145 is a small distance to turkish standards:

Very nice mountain road:

Near Seydisehir:

Old August 8th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #1119
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 919

My roadtrip one month ago:

1) Pavia - Milano - Lugano - Luzern - Basel - Karlsruhe - Frankfurt am Main (night stop) - Hannover - Hamburg (night stop) - Puttgarden (ferry) - Copenhagen

2) Copenhagen - Malmö

3) Malmö - Copenhagen - Puttgarden - Lübeck - Hamburg - Hannover - Kassel - Würzburg - Stuttgart - Zürich - Zug - Luzern - Lugano - Milano - Pavia
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #1120
panda80

Now some photos of some secondary roads in Cappadocia:

Avanos-Kayseri road near Sultanhani palace:

From Avanos to Goreme:

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip