daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #1121
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planen B View Post
Yes, it was more about the part between SD and Barstow, don't really feel like going through urban landscapes on a highway when we could be seeing desert scenes It's good to hear it was a nice ride!

By leaving the car unattended I mean, let's say we have lunch at a (roadside) (fast food) restaurant, and leave it in a parking lot for 30 minutes, locked, with all obvious stuff with us (passports, money, everything), but luggage (clothes) still in it. There's always a risk it gets taken obviously, but I just wanted to know if there's any areas where that risk is particularly high :p
Most of the roads in California and South Western USA are nice rides

I have never had anything stolen from a car in USA. And sometimes I left it for hours at the trail head parkings or in similar locations. Parking outside the fast food joint is completely safe. The only issue I could imagine would be parking some flashy new car in some "not so nice" neighborhoods for example in east LA. It doesn't look you going there anyway.
But always take the most important documents with you. Just in case.

Last edited by geogregor; August 9th, 2010 at 02:57 AM.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1122
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

My favorite photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #1123
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Not really a road trip, but a holliday trip. Some of it is on camera pictures plus short videos. However I dont really have en evolved system of capturing the road shots especially when behind the wheel and "someone else" has to make the pictures.

We travelled from Friesland (NL) through Germany to Czech Republic. First we stayed few days around Jihlava, then nearby Ostrava. Finally we got to Slovakia where we more or less stayed around the route of future finished D1. We also made a trip to Kosice on one day. The retourn was through Ostrava where we stayed again and further through Poland (Opole) and Germany (Berlin) back to NL.

The map:

First pictures from leaving NL (A37), right against the sun in the early morning

Our favorite holliday early stop at the chappel on parking lot on A31 in Germany. Beautifull isnt't it?

On we go.

Last picture from Germany... I guess I forgot to charge the batter the night before
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #1124
Surel

Here we go with pictures from Czech Republic.

R35 near Olomouc, heading Ostrava

Behind Olomouc, heading Ostrava

Around Hranice na Morave nice three lanes

Just around the exit on R48

I have few videos covering the following till Ostrava, which I will post once uploaded.

I did not take much pictures on Slovakia since I thought they were rather recently posted and were much nicer than mine car shots... The following pictures once uploaded are thus covering the road back from Ostrava through Poland towards Berlin.
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #1125
Surel

The journey through Poland started at DK45 from Zabelkow (We came from Bohumin), through Raciborz (Ratiboř) merge on A4 near Opole.

In Kryzanowice early in the morning.

Tworkov

BTW I forgot to look at the border speed board and was bit confused with the in city and out city speeds. I figured out that for the speed is more important the board with city skyline than the board with the name of the city...

Motorway follows in another post
Just before Raciborz

Entering it, early morning red light on cross... BTW it was sunday around 5, however first mass starts at 6 in Poland and you could see it somewhere.

Nice boards, however we managed to get on some field road anyway :O..., luckily we found back the route 45 soon.

It should have been picture of the county borders..

Nice new railway cross with gates. They are needed elswhere too.

Sometimes the road gets middle barrier when there's cross...

Decent road around Raciborz

with some bumps further

Coming closer to the Motorway

Decent road

Merging on the Motorway near Gwozdzice

Old August 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #1126
Surel

A4 exit to Brzeg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_YSMMiJ1ol3c/TG...0/P1010130.JPG

Nice boards, bit full sometimes

The shoulder is not present, only safety bays... thus the speed is reduced to 110 kmph

Some overpasses near Legnica

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_YSMMiJ1ol3c/TG...0/P1010146.JPG

Roadworks before the interchange of A18 and A4

A18 direction towards Germany... Tom Tom is bit outdated here and thinks that it is still old 90 road. In reality two lane motorway of better quality than the A4 till here in the direction towards Germany. However I did not see any speed sign and dont exactly know the status of this road, since the quality of the left side is naturally the quality of the former road. How is it?

beautifull strech of road till the border

The gas station is just at the borders and there is not so many interchanges either. Just straight motorway.

Germany...

and Berlin

Direction Magdeburg from Berlin, We caught small stau there but in half an hour we were past it.

Change from A10 to A2

And thats it, back on the old route NL CZ
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #1127
Surel

The promised videos..

CZ, D1xR8 around Olomouc

Czech D1 10 km before Ostrava, direction Ostrava

Czech D1 Klimkovice Tunnel

Polish A4, near Jelenia Gora

Polish A18 direction Germany (E36) (rather shaky.... sorry, not my fault, it was virtually empty on the sunday morning)

Last edited by Surel; August 9th, 2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #1128
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

great photos! good route also. do you have photos from slovakia also?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1129
Surel

Thanks.

We did not make photos from roads in Slovakia since we made just short jumps from place to place, and the days when we made some longer trip it was raining or we went in the night. Also most of the time was spent there as holliday in the mountins, thus no roads, not pollution, no people... ...

However if I might add to the discussion about the need for finishing D1 or rather building the expressways on the south there. I am more inclined for finishing the D1 from Martin to Zilina. Mainly due to the much harder terrain and thus more difficult driving conditions.

Night travelling from Poprad to Bohumin (nearby Ostrava) was bit of a hell route in the end part (either Slovak or Czech) due to the terrible rain and late hours. My first car fine for enetering forbidden direction in Karvina (CZ) only depicted the situation (at 2 am in the night :O).
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM   #1130
pmalenkin

Likes (Received): 2389

Here you have a trip from Bulgaria with a link of the map: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1198611
pmalenkin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1131
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Hi guys!

My girlfriend and I and another friend, we want to make a weekend trip in Serbia, starting in the morning Timisoara, Vrsac, Smederevo, Ram, Silver Lake, Veliko Gradiste, Golubac, a liitle of Derdap National Park, then back around Smederevo and finally Beograd, where we will stay for 2 nights (hopefully also find tickets for derby football match). Here is a roadmap I did in Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/hjmg

My question to you is, is the road planning I did ok? I mean, can we follow those roads? Or maybe you know better ones (quality depending, also sightseeing). I hope I posted on the right thread, if not, I apologize, you can send me PMs to not crowd the discussion here. Thanks.

Cheers.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1132
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Finally we got to Slovakia where we more or less stayed around the route of future finished D1. We also made a trip to Kosice on one day.
120 km of your journey in Eastern Slovakia on a motorway ; )

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #1133
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

wow Turkey looks like a great place to drive!
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:05 AM   #1134
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
wow Turkey looks like a great place to drive!
Indeed it is! Most intercity routes are 2x2, with few villages and almost no congestion. However in the cities there is a different story, roads in Istanbul for example are very congested especially the narrow ones in the historical center. There there is an incredible mix of cars with pedestrians carrying all sorts of strollers.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #1135
panda80

This year, my main holiday came a little bit too late, as I had some problems in the summer. So I left Bucharest for Austria only on 24th of september. I drove 5500km on different roads mainly in Austria but also in Slovenia, Italy, Czech Republik, Germany, Slovakia and Hungary. As I was the driver most of the time I have photos only from some sections, which I gladly want to share with you.

So let's start...We left Bucharest at 10pm on 24th of september. We drove in Romania on A1 and then DN7 till the romanian/hungarian border crossing at Nadlac, where we arrived in the morning. It was an exhausting drive as DN7 is a very congested national road, even in the night being full of trucks. A1 must be constructed asap all the way to the border. However the pavement is very good on all sections of DN7.
The route through Romania:

Old November 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #1136
panda80

The first pictures were taken immediately after entering Hungary, on road 43, between the border and the city of Szeged:

In Mako. Hopefully at the beginning of next year M43 will be finished between Szeged and Mako.

After Mako:

In Szeged:

Old November 18th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1137
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Polish A18 direction Germany (E36) (rather shaky.... sorry, not my fault, it was virtually empty on the sunday morning)
You guys were going really slow on a nice empty highway like that, what mph were you guys going?
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #1138
panda80

From Szeged I used an unusual road to transit through Hungary , on some county roads and also national ones following the route: Szeged-Kiskundoroszma-Kiskunmajsa-Soltvadkert-Solt-Dunafoldvar-Cece-Enying-Veszprem-Kormed-border crossing Rabafuzes.

Szeged-Kiskunmajsa county road:

Old November 18th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #1139
panda80

The road is of mixed quality:

In Kiskunmajsa. The town looks very nice:

Old November 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1140
panda80

Between Kiskunmajsa and Soltvadkert:

We enter national road 53 in direction Kiskoros and Solt:

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip