daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1161
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

A small piece of motorway branch:

Which finishes fast:

On the national road, for the moment also having the european number 66:

panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #1162
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
A small piece of motorway branch:
I actually never saw that yet. thanks for photos. do you know where would this motorway branch suppose to go?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #1163
panda80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I actually never saw that yet. thanks for photos. do you know where would this motorway branch suppose to go?
Probably it was supposed to go parallel with E66, on the Drava valley, towards Lienz and Italy. There are some expressway parts between Spittal and Lienz now.
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #1164
panda80

We go to Grossglockner, up the Moll river valley:

Old November 20th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #1165
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
Probably it was supposed to go parallel with E66, on the Drava valley, towards Lienz and Italy. There are some expressway parts between Spittal and Lienz now.
I tried to find something about it on google, but came up empty. I found an old map that had it listed as S40, but no plans for extending it to Lienz. Maybe Chris knows more?

An extension to Lienz would certainly be nice, but probably unrealistic due to environmentalists and NIMBYs. I drove there this summer and the amount of traffic was insane. (ok, it was a Saturday in August)

The expressway parts you mentioned are only expressways in the sense that no slow vehicles or cyclists are allowed. It's still only one lane per direction and no median.

Great photos, btw!
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1166
panda80

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
I tried to find something about it on google, but came up empty. I found an old map that had it listed as S40, but no plans for extending it to Lienz. Maybe Chris knows more?

An extension to Lienz would certainly be nice, but probably unrealistic due to environmentalists and NIMBYs. I drove there this summer and the amount of traffic was insane. (ok, it was a Saturday in August)

The expressway parts you mentioned are only expressways in the sense that no slow vehicles or cyclists are allowed. It's still only one lane per direction and no median.

Great photos, btw!
Thank you! Also at the end of September, traffic was quite heavy on E66.
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1167
panda80

Nice landscape in the Moll valley, white snowy mountains around:

Old November 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #1168
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Quote:
I don't actually. I always thought that 2x2 section to be a branch of A10 (a "zubringer"). Apparently, it was planned to go further west, but how far is unknown to me. I doubt if there were serious plans for a 2x2 A/S-road to Lienz.

Such an expressway wouldn't be the hardest to build, as it follows a fairly wide valley. I doubt if it is really necessary, Lienz is the largest city along this route, but is still not much more than a town. Holiday traffic is probably not enough to justify an S-road here.

Personally I think the Austrian motorway/expressway network is pretty good, and only needs additions in the east and north, because this area was traditionally left out due to the iron curtain. Times have changed, but I don't think there are many more new motorway sections necessary in central or western Austria. The worst missing link in western Austria is a motorway from Füssen to Innsbruck. This route from Ulm to Innsbruck is 75 kilometers shorter than via München. However, the Austrians are generally afraid it would attract more (truck) traffic. The Fernpass is a disaster during summer and winter.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1169
panda80

Nice winding road:

Old November 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1170
panda80

Winklern. From here one can go Lienz over Iselsber pass and join the E-66:

In the Upper Moll valley, preparing for the assault of Hochtor (2504m):

Old November 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #1171
panda80

28 euros tax for passing on the mountain road. But it gives you access to many interesting museums and free parking on the mountain:

Here begins the true Grossglockner road:

Old November 20th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1172
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't actually. I always thought that 2x2 section to be a branch of A10 (a "zubringer"). Apparently, it was planned to go further west, but how far is unknown to me. I doubt if there were serious plans for a 2x2 A/S-road to Lienz.

Such an expressway wouldn't be the hardest to build, as it follows a fairly wide valley. I doubt if it is really necessary, Lienz is the largest city along this route, but is still not much more than a town. Holiday traffic is probably not enough to justify an S-road here.

Personally I think the Austrian motorway/expressway network is pretty good, and only needs additions in the east and north, because this area was traditionally left out due to the iron curtain. Times have changed, but I don't think there are many more new motorway sections necessary in central or western Austria. The worst missing link in western Austria is a motorway from Füssen to Innsbruck. This route from Ulm to Innsbruck is 75 kilometers shorter than via München. However, the Austrians are generally afraid it would attract more (truck) traffic. The Fernpass is a disaster during summer and winter.
well, if you ask me, there is kinda one hole wihout any motorways. for example, there is no direct connection Graz/Klagenfurt/Ljubljana - Innsbruck, moreover Autostrada d'Alemagna was never finished, and it was supposed to reach Munich. From Venice, there's also no direct connection to Innsbruck/Munich. I think that's missing:

Old November 20th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #1173
panda80

Also a link A12-A10-A9 in Central Austria, on the route Worgl-Mittersill-St. Johann-Zell am See-Bischofshofen-A10-Radstadt-Liezen-A9 might be useful.
Old November 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #1174
panda80

The photo report continues...
We are higher and higher on the mountain:

Nice view:

Unfortunately on top of Hochtor (2504m) it was very foggy, so no pictures from there. The weather was mostly bad during the holiday, mostly rainy, foggy and cold, with very few hours of sunshine..

Going down:

Old November 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM   #1175
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
Also a link A12-A10-A9 in Central Austria, on the route Worgl-Mittersill-St. Johann-Zell am See-Bischofshofen-A10-Radstadt-Liezen-A9 might be useful.
I think that would be quickly built if hypoteticaly east germany would have included bayern.
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1176
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I think that would be quickly built if hypoteticaly east germany would have included bayern.
What a pretty idea!

Well - for example - it might be helpful to upgrade the road No.311 (partially dual carriageway) beetween Bischofshofen (A10) and Zell am See.

I do not expect further (larger) improvement of the roads No.178 (Unken-Woergl) or No.320/E651 (Radstadt-Lienzen). Maybe some bypass-construction could be considered there...
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM   #1177
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
I do not expect further (larger) improvement of the roads No.178 (Unken-Woergl) or No.320/E651 (Radstadt-Lienzen). Maybe some bypass-construction could be considered there...
There have been plans for B320 (Radstadt-Liezen), but there was strong opposition from NIMBYs (who'd rather have all the heavy traffic through their town centers) and environmentalists. Supposedly, it was a rare bird species that dealt the final blow and the project was given up.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1178
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
There have been plans for B320 (Radstadt-Liezen), but there was strong opposition from NIMBYs (who'd rather have all the heavy traffic through their town centers) and environmentalists. Supposedly, it was a rare bird species that dealt the final blow and the project was given up.
I see. No doubts that the B320/E651 is quite important road in Austrian roads network. The valley of Upper Enns is definitely not a empty area with many small towns and villages. There are some very important resorts for the Alps-holiday (Schladming and Dachstein as the best examples).
And it concerns the best connection for cars and lorries Salzburg-Graz. There are 3 main route-alternatives:

a)official motorway connection via the motorways A1 and A8 (Bosruck tunnel). However it is certainly not the shortest way and the toll costs (for lorries) have to be considered too,
b)via Salzkammergut (Bad Ischl) - B158 - B145 - B320 - A8. That route could be recommended (for tourist) almost as the panoramatic parkway. As I know there are local efforts to push-out the heavy traffic there....
b)and finally the route via B320 - A10-B99-B320-A8. It should be faster in comparison with the Salzkammergut route.....

But that issue (for more discussion) is definitely the suitable topic for "Austrian section" (and not roadtrips reports...)....
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM   #1179
panda80

Nice empty road. The touristic season is over:

We join the important 311 national road:

Old November 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM   #1180
panda80

2+2 road:

2+1 road:

Continue on 311 towards A10 motorway:

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip