daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #1201
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Thanks. In Oz it's like in the US - a lot of text. But Australians are in no way dumb; they're by far the best people I've ever seen.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #1202
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Wow Verso! You are lucky!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #1203
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Wow, that was astonishing roadtrip.

Those 'anti-fatigue' signs - very unusual, but I guess they are placed there for a reason...
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #1204
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Great trip! Do you remember anything from it apart from roads, Verso?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1205
Verso
Islander

^ Of course! How could I forget things like the Great Barrier Reef, a tropical rainforest, great Australian cities, very rich flora and fauna ............. To stay on topic, here's a road in a camp (carapark). Bonus - kangaroos.

They're everywhere. I even saw them eating grass on a football field in Rockhampton. I also touched and fed them in a sanctuary. Nice guys.
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1206
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Great pics, thank you!
How long are you staying? Can't wait to see more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
They're everywhere. I even saw them eating grass on a football field in Rockhampton. I also touched and fed them in a sanctuary. Nice guys.
Just be careful you don't run into him:

or him:

snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #1207
Verso
Islander

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
How long are you staying?
I'm back. I was there for 3 weeks, of which 1 week by my relatives in Melbourne (including the Great Ocean Road and a trip to Bendigo) and 2 weeks to get from Cairns to Melbourne.

Quote:
Can't wait to see more.
Sorry, that's all I have. I was mostly driving (3,400 km), besides, I focused on the Bruce Highway, which is more isolated. But to be honest, the Princes Highway is even more beautiful (you drive a lot through forests), except it isn't (sub)tropical. It has even less traffic than the Bruce Hwy. By far the most touristic is the Great Ocean Road with its Apostles. Of shorter highways, the Kings Highway (Canberra - Batemans Bay) was quite spectacular with its hairpins crossing the Great Dividing Range. But the most spectacular would have to be the Kennedy Hwy NW of Cairns running through the Kuranda tropical rainforest, but I didn't drive there, because we took cablecar to Kuranda and returned by train. I only drove on the Captain Cook Hwy until the cablecar station. I also drove on the Hume Hwy (Sydney - Melbourne), but only between Sydney and the Federal Hwy for Canberra. If you wanna know more, just ask.
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #1208
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
great report verso. australians think that people are dumb apparently. I don't like that kind of signs, where everything is written moreover, you feel like you have an IQ of a kangaroo.
Unfortunately the majority (or at least a very very prevalent minority) of Australian drivers are dumb.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1209
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
LOL!

I'm back. I was there for 3 weeks, of which 1 week by my relatives in Melbourne (including the Great Ocean Road and a trip to Bendigo) and 2 weeks to get from Cairns to Melbourne.
Great trip! I'm so jealous.

Quote:
Sorry, that's all I have. I was mostly driving ...
I can relate, I'm usually the one who does all the driving. My passangers mostly think road pics are silly and refuse to take any. And for some strange reason they really hate it when I take pics WHILE driving.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #1210
Verso
Islander

The thing is that even those few pics they're willing to take, are usually really bad. But anyway, I didn't go to Australia to take pics of roads, just a few of them to get the feeling. They're on Google Street View anyway (although the quality is really bad).
Old December 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1211
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
I can relate, I'm usually the one who does all the driving. My passangers mostly think road pics are silly and refuse to take any. And for some strange reason they really hate it when I take pics WHILE driving.
Quote:
The thing is that even those few pics they're willing to take, are usually really bad.
I couldn't agree more
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #1212
Verso
Islander

It also has to be noted that the Bruce Hwy is often the only interesting thing to take pics of. There were days when we didn't see anything particularly interesting except for the highway and lush vegetation along it. Just driving all day...
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:24 AM   #1213
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Try the Hume Hwy all the way between Sydney and Melbourne. 800km of the most boring drive ever.

The Black Spur is a nice road to head down around Melbourne (less traffic than the Great Ocean Road!). Great daytrip location but tragically quite a lot of it has burned down in a bushfire.

image hosted on flickr

Black Spur pre Bushfires by Thomas P. Naismith, on Flickr
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:21 PM   #1214
Verso
Islander

I only drove until the Healesville Sanctuary. I drove on the Kings Hwy where vegetation along the hairpins is very lush and very different from here (like tree ferns etc.).
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #1215
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
great report verso. australians think that people are dumb apparently. I don't like that kind of signs, where everything is written moreover, you feel like you have an IQ of a kangaroo.
U.S. is the same way, everything is spelled out. You don't have to remember any weird signs, just read what it says. Simple enough.

That's why when Americans come to Europe they have no clue what half of the sings mean.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #1216
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

In the end of the day, it's what you like, which normally is what you're used to.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #1217
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
I only drove until the Healesville Sanctuary. I drove on the Kings Hwy where vegetation along the hairpins is very lush and very different from here (like tree ferns etc.).
Lush? Have you ever had a roadtrip (or whatever) in South West England or what..?
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #1218
Verso
Islander

I haven't been to England. Here is an example from the Kings Hwy, but the quality is bad, so it doesn't look as good as in reality.
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #1219
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

I spend the New Year's Eve in the bulgarian ski resort of Pamporovo, and I took some photos of the road to Bucharest.
This is the route I took when going to Pamporovo: Bucharest-Giurgiu-Ruse-Byala-Veliko Tarnovo-Gurkovo-Yagoda-Stara Zagora-A1-Cirpan-Popovica-Asenovgrad-Chepelare-Pamporovo.
This is the route I took when going back to Romania: Pamporovo-Dospat-Batak-Peshtera-Stamboliyski-A1-Stara Zagora-Tulovo-Gurkovo-Veliko Tarnovo-Byala-Ruse-Bucharest
I have pictures only from the road back home.

So we start with some photos around Pamporovo, descending from the resort to the ethnographical village of Siroka Laka:

panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #1220
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

In the village of Stoykite, we have an intersection with a road going to Smolyan, the most important town in the oblast:

Entering Shiroka Laka:

Continuing down the road to Devin (NR166):

Intersection with the road to the pictuoresque village of Beden:

panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip