daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #1361
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

[QUOTE=hofburg;76868031]I took a few shots. In general, Germany has the worst motorways, France and Italy the best, Austria something in the middle. I mean, Germans are widening their A8 for a hundred years now, still haven't completed it. Driving culture is very low, speed limits unreasonable (old 4 lanes autobahn without hard shoulder without any limits, nice 2X3 with shoulders with 120 km/h...).

French A4 is one of the nicest motorways to drive, low traffic (almost lower then H4 in Slo!), smooth. Austria has bad pavement. Italy has very smooth motorways, with high fence, very safe, tunnels without speed limits.

Thanks a lot fot that attracting collection. Good job. IMO, the drive via A23.it Udine-Tarvisio - the motorway Alpi-Adria - is almost always an interesting experience. The wonderful landscape there - coming from the lowlands "suddenly) into the Alps (without any foothills), 17 tunnels, deep valleys with wide gravel riverbeds (something very special, I know there is special expression in Italian language for these riverbeds...).

Generally, the traffic volumes on A4.fr are not so high (sure not so in the section in Ille de France...). I suppose there is the clear impact of the quite expensive toll. I would expect that some lorries utilize the alternative route - and toll-free highway N4 etc.

The "Rhein-crossing" via Haguenau (from A5.de) might be the better choice as the (if you come from Karlsruhe) the crossing in Kehl/Strasbourg......
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1362
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Don't mean to sound bitchy here, although maybe it can't be helped, but I see very little point in posting pictures that are so wide that you can only see parts of them at a time. Particularly if they are so...bandwidth-intense if that's the right term...that it takes the page five minutes to download and you can't do anything else on your computer while you wait.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #1363
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

To see large images, you can use the zoom option, it will make the content of the page smaller. I didn't have problems loading the pictures, maybe the bandwidth is good. But in the end, you are right, pictures could be 1024x768 format.

Great pictures BTW!

Last edited by cinxxx; April 30th, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #1364
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Thanks. Where is the zoom option?

And, yes, they are great pictures (Botev's I mean), as far as I could tell, and I should have said so.

Peace!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #1365
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

Right. No offense, but the pictures are not of great quality (not really bad though), but they will likely show much better at 800 or 1024 px. I don't understand why people post tons of large size (1600+px) pictures of rather low quality.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #1366
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Thanks. Where is the zoom option?

And, yes, they are great pictures (Botev's I mean), as far as I could tell, and I should have said so.

Peace!
Here are some links, depending on what browser you are using

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/02/23/how...om-in-firefox/
this should also work on IE and Chrome

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/trai...a/webzoom.aspx
http://www.google.com/support/chrome...y?answer=96810
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1367
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
deep valleys with wide gravel riverbeds (something very special, I know there is special expression in Italian language for these riverbeds...).
Torrente (torrent)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Where is the zoom option?
Ctrl + mouse wheel.

That was a great trip, Botev1912.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #1368
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
why do people use that Lombard Street that much while they have much easier way to get down from Russian Hill just few hunderds of metres from it? why is ti opened for traffic at all?
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #1369
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

Tourists of course
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1370
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Torrente (torrent)?
I think the word is greto.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #1371
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Tourists of course
i thought so
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #1372
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Right. No offense, but the pictures are not of great quality (not really bad though), but they will likely show much better at 800 or 1024 px. I don't understand why people post tons of large size (1600+px) pictures of rather low quality.
The pictures are 1600x1200 on photobucket. They look zoomed in. That's why the quality looks low. I don't know how to reduce the resolution without having to upload them again. The pictures look good on the computer because they actually look smaller (take less space on the screen). Their original resolution is 4000x3000

Last edited by Botev1912; April 30th, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #1373
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

if you have 1080p screen, it's nice to look at 900p photos. of course for most screens 1024x768 is more suitable. I only leave photos taken with my phone on 900p, because there is no optical zoom, so roads are very small on them. Photos taken with camera with optical zoom 3x or +, I resize to 1024x768.

Quote:

Thanks a lot fot that attracting collection. Good job. IMO, the drive via A23.it Udine-Tarvisio - the motorway Alpi-Adria - is almost always an interesting experience. The wonderful landscape there - coming from the lowlands "suddenly) into the Alps (without any foothills), 17 tunnels, deep valleys with wide gravel riverbeds (something very special, I know there is special expression in Italian language for these riverbeds...).

Generally, the traffic volumes on A4.fr are not so high (sure not so in the section in Ille de France...). I suppose there is the clear impact of the quite expensive toll. I would expect that some lorries utilize the alternative route - and toll-free highway N4 etc.

The "Rhein-crossing" via Haguenau (from A5.de) might be the better choice as the (if you come from Karlsruhe) the crossing in Kehl/Strasbourg......
A23 is really spectacular. I will take more photos with decent camera maybe once later.

Expensive toll could be the reason for low A4 traffic. this section at the begining of A4 had a lot of traffic, then just before péage, suddenly everybody took the exit on the map. but, I prefer to pay for a better driving, then getting stuck in Germany, where everyone is on the motorway.

of course, it's a better choice, that's why I chose it.

Last edited by hofburg; April 30th, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #1374
Botev1912

Quote:
OK Done! I just resized the pictures on the previous page 68. So anybody can go to the previous page and see the resized pictures
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #1375
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I think the word is greto.
Well, I have heard about the italian expression "torrente" but there maybe be another expressions for that type of alpine rivers.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagliamento
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fella
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fella
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #1376
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Well, I have heard about the italian expression "torrente" but there maybe be another expressions for that type of alpine rivers.
Torrente is just the equivalent of English "torrent", it says nothing about the riverbed. "Greto" refers specifically to the riverbed, which is stony and usually quite wide. "Il greto del torrente" means those specific kind of torrents' riverbeds.

EDIT: Possibly you're referring to Fiumara:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiumara_%28idrografia%29

I have to admit, though, that this expression is used almost exclusively in Southern Italy. I never heard a torrent or a river called "fiumara" in Central or Northern Italy.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1377
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Torrente is just the equivalent of English "torrent", it says nothing about the riverbed. "Greto" refers specifically to the riverbed, which is stony and usually quite wide. "Il greto del torrente" means those specific kind of torrents' riverbeds.

EDIT: Possibly you're referring to Fiumara:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiumara_%28idrografia%29

I have to admit, though, that this expression is used almost exclusively in Southern Italy. I never heard a torrent or a river called "fiumara" in Central or Northern Italy.
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I am referring to the following information (in German):

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrente_(Sturzbach)

These rivers are noted in Friulia-Giulia Venezia (in Alps) too.
The fact is that it is fascinating to observe both rivers - Tagliamento and Fella - when you drive on the A23. The tunnels are surely interesting too but one day I would like to enjoy that landscape from the highway SS13.

It is not only interesting motorway due to the attracting landscape. But the route of the A23 follows the track of the high-speed-railroad Pontebanna as well as the "ghost" old railroad Udine-Pontebba-Tarvisio could be observed there.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrovia_Pontebbana
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontebbana
Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1378
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
As i notice the Austrians have changed Ljubljana with Slowenien,was that a idea of that right Kärnten Landeshauptmann Haider?
The old one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:32 PM   #1379
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Yes, Haider changed Ljubljana with Slowenien and Udine with Italien, because they "can't have signs in non-German languages", but strangely he only changed one sign, but left the other one (also with Ljubljana and Udine). I don't see a problem though.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1380
Botev1912

From Seattle, Washington to Portland, Oregon and back to Seattle (6 September 2010) 174 miles (280 km) one way, 348 miles (560 km) both ways

Last edited by Botev1912; May 3rd, 2011 at 09:24 PM.

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip