daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #121
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

Come on guys, stop arguing.

I was told by bosnian guide about these mines near Mostar.

And my opinion about Kosovo and Albania is based on what i watch on tv. This is only reason, why i wouldn't like to drive there. I would be affraid to go there.
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #122
Stormwatch153
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CborG View Post
Can't you understand my doubts? Various travel sites on the internet all state that landmines are still a big issue in rural area's. The bigger cities maybe relatively safe but the thousands of UN troops still stationed in Bosnia are there for a reason, and i recon it isn't because of the historic cities en nature. I would love to visit Bosnia someday, no doubt, only not this holiday.
Wait, I don't understand...are you going for mine hunting or what!?!? I can assure you that people throught all off Bosnia and Hercegovina are very friendly and welcoming, what if I would say that I do not suggest people to go to NYC 'cause you can get killed for a pair of snickers (which is true)!!?!?
And all that stories about Belgrade being unsafe for foreigners is hyped bollocks, it is nice historical city which is worth visiting every day across the year. A few of my friends made a legendary bicycle trip from Budapest to Afghanistan in 2003 (Cyclopolo project) and they flawlessly crossed my country only having some problems in Turkey (watch for the drivers in that country....pure LUNATICS!!!!), so....I can assure you that trip to Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia are not as near as dangerous as walking throught Milan, LA or Istambul in the middle of the night.
Stormwatch153 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #123
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

Let's stop this discussion, i don't want this thread to be closed..
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #124
Vrachar

Likes (Received): 1627

That's an excellent decision CborG, to visit Balkans. Beautiful nature, beautiful people and richness of history are in one place presented together. You shouldn't be aware much becuse this region is pretty safe.

Quote:
I don't really know much about Belgrade, is it worth visiting and safe? (no offence but what we hear about it is not always positive)
More about Belgrade, you can read in these two foreign magazines:

Metro (Canada):
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/Live/article/40648

The Sunday Times (UK):
http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle2744286.ece

P.S.
One more tip:
To enter Serbia (I believe the same is valid for Bosnia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Albania) you don't need visa but have to show your passport. National ID is not enough, like entering EU countries.

Also, you can ask me by PM for any information you need.
Vrachar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #125
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

CborG, the Sunny Beach isn't by Burgas, as you marked it, but by Varna. Also, I suggest Hemus or Trakya motorway, not that road in the middle (Hemus for Varna, of course).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #126
Realek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
CborG, the Sunny Beach isn't by Burgas, as you marked it, but by Varna.
Of course "Sunny Beach" is near Burgas... "Golden Sands" are near Varna
Realek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #127
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Oh, crap.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #128
mojaBL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Can't you understand my doubts? Various travel sites on the internet all state that landmines are still a big issue in rural area's. The bigger cities maybe relatively safe but the thousands of UN troops still stationed in Bosnia are there for a reason, and i recon it isn't because of the historic cities en nature. I would love to visit Bosnia someday, no doubt, only not this holiday.
ignorance is bless.
mojaBL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #129
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

Sunny Beach and Golden Sands are often mistaken !However Sunny Beach is twice bigger
than Golden Sands!Also recently Saint Vlas,Sunny Beach and Nessebar are connected and became one
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #130
Realek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Wasn't Golden Sands (and generally the area north of Varna) more "upper class"? At least in the past?
Realek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #131
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realek View Post
Wasn't Golden Sands (and generally the area north of Varna) more "upper class"? At least in the past?
it's definitely more known and famous. i had no idea that it is smaller
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #132
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18762

"Golden Sands" ... "Albena" are a lot better ... "Sunny beach" is just awfull ... How would you feel to be locked together with at least 200 000 people in an area smaller than Dobrovnik old & new city, half of which is one huge construction site ? Some people prefer such places though ... like alcohol tourism loving Scandinavian kids

Sinemorets, Lozenets south of Sozopol used to be still nice places couple of years ago ... but with the construction boom on the Black sea shore i don't know how they exactly look like right now.

CborG should use the Croatian and Greek sea coast for
Fun and beaches ... on the Bulgarian coast one could find better only the nightlife IMO.

btw , here is my idea about a better route through Bulgaria.

The greenone goes through Veliko Tarnovo and Varna.
The purple one goes through Plovdiv ...

Last edited by Turnovec; April 20th, 2008 at 05:15 PM.
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #133
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaBL View Post
The whole region is more safe than any town in the states. So the questions like is it safe etc. are really
And there are mines in whole Europe dating from WW2, but it doesn't mean it is unsafe to travel trough Europe. Mines in Bosnia are in very remoted areas and if u wanted to step on one u would reallly have to make effort.
And no one will rip u off if u pay in euros.

My suggestions for Bosnia are Mostar, Pocitelj and Bunda
They are really close to Adriatic so it will not be mayor de-tour.
The town Mostar is worth visiting, old core is under Unesco protetcion (look at today's banner)
There is river Buna well and old Tekija, great nature, culture and history.
Same goes for Pocitelj.

Rafting on Neretva river is really great expirience.

http://www.bhtourism.ba/eng/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostar
http://www.visitmostar.net/

etc.
I agree, ive never experienced any unsafety, the people are very friendly and considerate, often community oriented. You make a good point.

Anyway youve gotten plenty of good suggestions here. It depends on your interests.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #134
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Those guys who responding "it's all safe", and "NYC or Amsterdam is much more dangerous" are all from those countries. Things are a bit different if you are a tourist, you just experience things differently, maybe people are different towards tourists than locals.

Personally, i would skip Bosnia, Kosovo and Albania, until those countries have reached a higher level of infrastructure (and by that, i do not only mean roads, but other things too, like tourist infra, medical infra, etc).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #135
bgplayer19

You're absolutely right!I totally share your opinion!
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #136
mojaBL
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Those guys who responding "it's all safe", and "NYC or Amsterdam is much more dangerous" are all from those countries. Things are a bit different if you are a tourist, you just experience things differently, maybe people are different towards tourists than locals.

Personally, i would skip Bosnia, Kosovo and Albania, until those countries have reached a higher level of infrastructure (and by that, i do not only mean roads, but other things too, like tourist infra, medical infra, etc).
and u know much about medical or any other infrastructure in Bosnia (except highway infrastructure)

Last edited by mojaBL; April 20th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #137
mojaBL
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgplayer19 View Post
You're absolutely right!I totally share your opinion!
Then he should skip Bulgaria as well. And all other countries on the Balakns, welll he shouldn't make this trip at all.

Last edited by mojaBL; April 20th, 2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #138
Jünyus Brütüs
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 106

Best region in the world
Jünyus Brütüs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #139
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post

BIH has ok, for instance, medical infrastructure. generally not worse in comparison with Serbia, Croatia or Slovenia.
about traveling abroad - i don't make differences wheater i'm traveling to London/Berlin/Amsterdam or Jakarta/Khartum/Quito. they all are foreign places and i must adopt myself to their rules, how stupid or strange it is to me. i could say that in London there is a huge possibility to be hit by car because of left-side driving, in Amsterdam to see high people (when i see somebody high in my country at the street, i find it totaly unappropriate) or in Berlin danger of neonazis. of course, everything generally functionate better in full developed countries, but to feel that you'll not come back alive from Balkan (as some have some thoughts) is silly.
the worst that you can get is electricity or water reduction ( i heard that it is often in Albania from my friend who went there), but it happens in south Croatia too if there is no rain for a long time
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #140
bgplayer19

del

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip