daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #141
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Those guys who responding "it's all safe", and "NYC or Amsterdam is much more dangerous" are all from those countries. Things are a bit different if you are a tourist, you just experience things differently, maybe people are different towards tourists than locals.

Personally, i would skip Bosnia, Kosovo and Albania, until those countries have reached a higher level of infrastructure (and by that, i do not only mean roads, but other things too, like tourist infra, medical infra, etc).
You dutch are way too safe and you believe media too much. 9 finns got killed in a motorway crash in Spain....gooshhh...I think I'll skip my Spain trip now.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #142
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #143
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

With only a bit longer trip,you could also visit Novi Sad and Osijek too...why skip them? Even if only for a few hours long rest-stop...And Edrine is also near your route too.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #144
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

CborG, which vehicle are you going by, and how many people?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #145
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Personally, i would skip Bosnia, Kosovo and Albania, until those countries have reached a higher level of infrastructure (and by that, i do not only mean roads, but other things too, like tourist infra, medical infra, etc).
Maybe, but then it's practically impossible to visit the Adriatic coast (Dubrovnik etc.). I think they should be fine in Albania, at least in transit.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #146
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

6 persons. We always hired a van like the Renault Traffic on previous trips but for the distance we want to travel this trip a more comfortable car is better. We've found an interesting deal on a car rental site; For 23 days a Renault Espace without kilometer limit for 1600 euro, divided by 6 makes that about 270 euro pp, which IMO is quite cheap. We probably do need a skibox on the roof for all the luggage.
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #147
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Those guys who responding "it's all safe", and "NYC or Amsterdam is much more dangerous" are all from those countries. Things are a bit different if you are a tourist, you just experience things differently, maybe people are different towards tourists than locals.
Agree, and from my own experience I know you can run into different things in these countries than in western european countries, both positive and negative. So preparing a little won't hurt and listening to other experiences won't hurt either.

Quote:
I think that driving from Dubrovnik to Greece through Albania and Macedonia is doable and safe. You won't cross Kosovo and the part of Bosnia that you cross on the way to Dubrovnik is only 25 kilometers and very beautiful.
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #148
mojaBL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Agree, and from my own experience I know you can run into different things in these countries than in western european countries, both positive and negative. So preparing a little won't hurt and listening to other experiences won't hurt either.

I think that driving from Dubrovnik to Greece through Albania and Macedonia is doable and safe. You won't cross Kosovo and the part of Bosnia that you cross on the way to Dubrovnik is only 25 kilometers and very beautiful.
Yes but all that bash Bosnia haven´t got any experience at all, coz if they had they would´nt bash it. And all their perception is based on BS media.
mojaBL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:57 AM   #149
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Nobody is bashing Bosnia at all, that's only what you make of it.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:22 AM   #150
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

No the fact is that a lot of you have prejudices about these countries which are absolutely wrong... You can't tell unless you have seen it with your own eyes... Unsafe in Bosnia? Come on... From my own experience I can say that I felt much safer in "western Balkans" than in any other big city in the West (except Vienna).
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:15 PM   #151
mojaBL
BANNED

Quote:
Nobody is bashing Bosnia at all, that's only what you make of it.
when u talk about my country and all your experience is based on CNN coverage than it is bashing and has nothing to do with reality. It is if he had asked something about Netherlands and i am answering and i have never been there and have no clue about this country. that is what u r doing.
mojaBL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:06 PM   #152
Foolish Farmer
Athleta Christi

Quote:
Personally, i would skip Kosovo and Albania, until those countries have reached a higher level of infrastructure (and by that, i do not only mean roads, but other things too, like tourist infra, medical infra, etc).
Albania is more developed than many in this thread know or like.
Foolish Farmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM   #153
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I know that. I've seen the pics and the videos of the Albanian Tourism office. It has a lot to offer, but still a long way to go.
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM   #154
Foolish Farmer
Athleta Christi

Quote:
It has a lot to offer, but still a long way to go.

And you think, that Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro are much more developed? We are talking about the Balkans: It's not the place to make a difference between "bad", "worse" and "worst".
Foolish Farmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:33 PM   #155
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaBL View Post
Yes but all that bash Bosnia haven´t got any experience at all, coz if they had they would´nt bash it. And all their perception is based on BS media.
I don't think you were listening at all to what I said? I never bashed Bosnia or any Balkan country, just shared some of my personal experiences. But I believe listening was never the strongest point of people at the Balkan.
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM   #156
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
I don't think you were listening at all to what I said? I never bashed Bosnia or any Balkan country, just shared some of my personal experiences. But I believe listening was never the strongest point of people at the Balkan.
I dont think he was aiming that at you but at people in general who said things they had no experience of. That is okey altough it should be taken into consideration.

Personally i can only speak for Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia, and as Ive said i never had any problems there. But again he has gotten a lot of good suggestions.

I hope you have a good and awarding trip.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM   #157
Alien x

Likes (Received): 3467

Quote:
Originally Posted by CborG View Post
Can't you understand my doubts? Various travel sites on the internet all state that landmines are still a big issue in rural area's. The bigger cities maybe relatively safe but the thousands of UN troops still stationed in Bosnia are there for a reason, and i recon it isn't because of the historic cities en nature. I would love to visit Bosnia someday, no doubt, only not this holiday.
Just to correct you the Nato led UN mission Sfor ended Dec. 05, 2005. Now there is only about 2000 strong European police force (Eufor) which assists the national armed forces and police. For your information the sites that you follow post the same information for the last 10 years with out caring to update it.
As for the comment on lack of infrastructure - lets put it like this – roads are not as bad as advertised its not like you have to travel 1000 km (400km at most) so what takes 3 hours by motorway takes 5-6 hours in Bosnia. But if you are tourist I think the idea is to see something not fly by.
Health care is no different than in most European countries better in the cities average in rural parts – for you information the war has been over for 12 years and the hospital are rebuild and have all necessary modern equipment.
As for accommodation you can find of all types the only difference is that except for the Holiday Inn in Sarajevo you will not find other recognizable names.
All these views you have are based on opinions of people who have prejudice towards an area than anything else; because when people know only the information for news which reports only what sells (sensation) and travel guides which update information only if they have economic incentive, someone paying them to advertise.
But then again its nothing new.
Alien x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM   #158
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CborG View Post
6 persons. We always hired a van like the Renault Traffic on previous trips but for the distance we want to travel this trip a more comfortable car is better. We've found an interesting deal on a car rental site; For 23 days a Renault Espace without kilometer limit for 1600 euro, divided by 6 makes that about 270 euro pp, which IMO is quite cheap. We probably do need a skibox on the roof for all the luggage.
Have you considered hiring 2 smaller cars? Personally I wouldn't drive such big distances with 5 passengers next to me.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM   #159
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

Hmm, you certainly will loose eachother out of sight in no time in a big city an it's probably more expensive to hire 2 cars. A Espace has 7 seats btw, so everybody has enough room.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM   #160
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The third row is not very comfortable for a long drive. My dad has an Espace. Front seats and 2nd row are very good.

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip