daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM   #161
dia
ъхъ

Likes (Received): 10

CborG, I wrote you a big message today and I've lost it. If I was you, I'd do the trip a bit differently.

Slovenia-->Croatia--> Montenegro-->Albania-->Greece-->Turkey-->Bulgaria-->Macedonia-->Serbia-->back home

And as Turnovec pointed out already, you road in Bulgaria is quite wrong. Not only you won't use the motorways but you will also miss some interesting places. If you enter from Turkey, I'd do something similar to this. Go to the Black sea, from Varna you go to Veliko Tarnovo then you either go south for Plovdiv (which I'd do ) and then Sofia or you go directly to Sofia. From Sofia go South, you pass through the UNESCO World herritage site- the Rila monastery, you then go taste some delicious wine in Melnik and you enter Macedonia.

Btw, about Bosnia and Hertzegovina, if you do what normal tourists do, see some historical sites, party a big in the towns and sleep in hotels, you won't have any problem at all.

And a small note to the others in the thread. You guys seem to forget our hospitality in the Balkans and you aggress people because you find them ignorant. It's better to explain and reassure than aggress immediately someone who asks questions. When you hear about land-mines you would be also worried if you didn't know the situation.
dia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:12 PM   #162
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19355

More important on this roadtrip, what to do when you get in trouble?

I mean car breakdown, needing medical attention, maybe some corrupt policemen etc. Do they speak English? I was in Poland a few years ago, and no custom official spoke English or German. Well, in France, they don't speak English too ofcourse.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:18 PM   #163
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by dia View Post
CborG, I wrote you a big message today and I've lost it. If I was you, I'd do the trip a bit differently.

Slovenia-->Croatia--> Montenegro-->Albania-->Greece-->Turkey-->Bulgaria-->Macedonia-->Serbia-->back home

And as Turnovec pointed out already, you road in Bulgaria is quite wrong. Not only you won't use the motorways but you will also miss some interesting places. If you enter from Turkey, I'd do something similar to this. Go to the Black sea, from Varna you go to Veliko Tarnovo then you either go south for Plovdiv (which I'd do ) and then Sofia or you go directly to Sofia. From Sofia go South, you pass through the UNESCO World herritage site- the Rila monastery, you then go taste some delicious wine in Melnik and you enter Macedonia.

Btw, about Bosnia and Hertzegovina, if you do what normal tourists do, see some historical sites, party a big in the towns and sleep in hotels, you won't have any problem at all.

And a small note to the others in the thread. You guys seem to forget our hospitality in the Balkans and you aggress people because you find them ignorant. It's better to explain and reassure than aggress immediately someone who asks questions. When you hear about land-mines you would be also worried if you didn't know the situation.
These kind of replies are what I was hoping for, thanks
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:29 PM   #164
mojaBL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dia View Post
I tryed to explain it but some ppl are persistent in proving unprovable things.
And no body asked, but rather made comment.

Last edited by mojaBL; April 21st, 2008 at 11:53 PM.
mojaBL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:42 PM   #165
The Teacher

Likes (Received): 1

CBorg, congratulations on your choice; this is a wonderful region to explore, although your plan may be a bit too ambitious. The discussion in this thread is very interesting, and keep it going, but for the real information free of local bickering go to http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa and http://www.balkanology.com/ Have fun.
The Teacher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM   #166
mojaBL
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
More important on this roadtrip, what to do when you get in trouble?

I mean car breakdown, needing medical attention, maybe some corrupt policemen etc. Do they speak English? I was in Poland a few years ago, and no custom official spoke English or German. Well, in France, they don't speak English too ofcourse.
Well i am sure that more people in Bosnia speak foreign languages than in e.g. France, Italy, Spain.
You know we have educational system and we are learning English and other foreign languages for decades now.
breakdown (tel. numbers 1282, 1285, 1282)
Also we have something that is called automotive club, actually 3 of them
http://www.bihamk.ba/mapa/news.aspx
http://www.ams-rs.com/
http://www.hakbih.ba/english.htm
medical attention (124)
The same thing that you do when you get sick in any other country, you go to the doctor. You know we have doctors, hospitals, Paramedics etc.
Police (122)
Firefighters (123)

Some people can not understand that world doesn´t end with old EU borders.
And in BiH there are so many strangers living here and tourist so you won't stick out like a sore thumb, we are very much used to foreign visitors. It is not like everybody is just waiting for someone outside to come just to rip, kill etc. them. Like many in dome countries think.

Last edited by mojaBL; April 21st, 2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM   #167
dia
ъхъ

Likes (Received): 10

I doubt you will find many cops speaking English on Bulgarian roads but I've never been stopped there. For Bulgaria, normally if you sign for a "Auto-club" in Europe they assist in Bulgaria too, so no problems in case of a breakdown. At least not BIG problems

The medical insurance of the Netherlands should work in Bulgaria and don't forget to have your European health card- it's easier to address administrative issues, if any, with the insurance. Here are the important numbers to know in all Europe. Although by the time of the trip the 112 should work in couple of regions in Bulgaria, in Sofia it works already.

Ah and something else, people should be ready to have cash at the border crossings for any kind of bizarre taxes and "washing" stuff could be in place in different countries.
dia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:54 PM   #168
mojaBL
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
I don't think you were listening at all to what I said? I never bashed Bosnia or any Balkan country, just shared some of my personal experiences. But I believe listening was never the strongest point of people at the Balkan.
and understanding has never been your´s
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:51 AM   #169
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
Very informative site!! Thanks!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:22 AM   #170
TruthSeeker
I think therefore i am!

Likes (Received): 21

from my own experience, Slovenia and Croatia are very developed with highwways.. Bosnia & Herzegovina is just as good as all the rest in the balkans (bulgaria,Serbia,Albania,Macedonia etc..) The Mine thing in Bosnia is a joke, there are maps showcasing mined areas but then again not all is mapped, millions of people live in that country and you rarely hear about someone stepping on a mine. Sarajevo is really worth the trip.. I would go everywhere except Kosovo, Right now its kind of risky considering the Albanian/Serb and Nato issue. Have fun and always wrap your ding dong especially in Bulgaria.
TruthSeeker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM   #171
Zanovijetalo

Visiting here is a great idea. Yeah, we a bit oversensitive when Westerners ask questions like will you survive the visit, but you should ask them nevertheless. Better safe than sorry.

If you’re into some activities, simply take a detour, let’s say go to Viganj village (north of Dubrovnik, Peljesac peninsula) for a few days of windsurfing, snorkelling, swimming).

As for landmines, yes they are still around in Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina – truth is they are in remote areas, but if you get a wild idea to climb some cute hill along the way in Dalmatian hills, be sure to ask some locals if it’s safe before you actually do it.

Mine suspected areas in Croatia:
http://www.hcr.hr/en/minskaSituacijaKarta.asp?ID=1

If you’ll need road assistance in Croatia, call HAK (Croatian Auto Club)
http://www.hak.hr/roadside-assistance.aspx

Any kind of other emergency, just dial 112
http://www.duzs.hr/page.aspx?PageID=140

In Zagreb stay in one of the hostels, some among them are in pedestrian zone and in (expensive!) pay-parking zone, be sure to check this out before booking. Think good choices are Buzz, Carpe Diem, Youth Hostel in Odranska.
http://www.zagreb-touristinfo.hr/?id=51&l=e&nav=nav4

Along the coast there’s a lot of private renters (you’ll see them marked with SOBE, ROOMS, ZIMMER signs).

Your rent a car company will let you drive the vehicle to all of these countries?
Zanovijetalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM   #172
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hmm there are more mines left in Croatia than i though. i thought they were only around Osijek/Vukovar.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:04 PM   #173
Zanovijetalo

Yes it's a serious problem that will take at least one more decade to be resolved. We use men and some specially designed machines, but it’s a horrible work – you can never be sure you did the job properly.

Not to mention it costs money we don’t have so every now and then there are public fund raising events and stuff. It sucks, really.

Current data: 997 km2 mine suspected area in Croatia
Zanovijetalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM   #174
renco
Grad heroj

Likes (Received): 487

Those are suspected areas,but yes there are still lot of mines.Although you wont come accros them in any national park or reservat.

BTW It would go much quicker if serbs woud give us maps where they lended mines.

Last edited by renco; April 22nd, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
renco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM   #175
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Funny thing is when an european is surprised about mined areas...the continent was a battlefield 50 years ago,some areas even a few decades ago. For christ's sake,we've just found several bridge-buster bombs during a bridge-pillar reconstruction...yes,chances are higher you stumble upon a mine in extremely-rural Croatia or Serbia than in The Netherlands or France...on the other hand,it is highly unlikely a tourist will visit such places...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM   #176
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

If you'll spend a night in Ljubljana, you can stay in what Lonely Planet proclaimed the world's best hostel. Celica (Cell) hostel's website.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM   #177
renco
Grad heroj

Likes (Received): 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Funny thing is when an european is surprised about mined areas...the continent was a battlefield 50 years ago,some areas even a few decades ago. For christ's sake,we've just found several bridge-buster bombs during a bridge-pillar reconstruction...yes,chances are higher you stumble upon a mine in extremely-rural Croatia or Serbia than in The Netherlands or France...on the other hand,it is highly unlikely a tourist will visit such places...
Well said
renco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM   #178
Olympios
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CborG View Post
Too bad we have to skip Corfu then.
About Greece: Any cities with good nightlife and beaches on the route from Turkey towards Thessaloniki?
Chalkidiki is a nice place IMO. You can see the thread here. It's positive that you won't deviate much since it's close to Thessaloniki.

For the rest cities of the Macedonian and Thracian regions of Greece here

Have a nice trip!

Last edited by Olympios; April 22nd, 2008 at 10:12 PM.
Olympios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM   #179
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Hvar should be a must, even though a bit of the highway routes, it is simply breathtaking!!! Been there the last four summers, and I have no plans changing my vacations routines whatsoever
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #180
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Roadtrip Denmark / Germany

I made a roadtrip through Germany and Denmark from last saturday until tuesday.

Travelled distance: 1,850 kilometers.
Fuel consumption: 1:17.4 (petrol) or 5.7 l per 100km

I've decided to take a few lesser motorways, but more other main roads, that way, one can see much more from the local scenery. I shot 1,377 photo's, and some video's. I stayed on campings with my 3-seconds tent in Denmark (Ribe, Hanstholm & Aabenraa). They costed me between € 13 and € 15,- per night, including electricity. On 2 campsites, i had a direct view over the sea from about 40m height.

In the next few days, i will upload my pics to the Picasa Webalbums. These are also downloadable by the way, so you can browse through the pictures on your own PC, if loading times are too slow.

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip