daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #1781
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Easier to pronounce for non-Polish citizens.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #1782
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Never heard of him. Other than that I agree with what you said. Miracles do happen...
I know Ystad since a long time ago, but thanks to Kurt Wallander's adventures
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #1783
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Easier still to mispronounce, actually, since the vast majority of non-German-speaking people wouldn't know the S is pronounced like an SH....

EDIT: Arrows for Road.
for Verreme.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

verreme liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #1784
Road_UK
BANNED

It wouldn't necessarily have to be pronounced the German way. The French can pronounce it their way, which would be something like Stettiene but still write it as Stettin. After all there's no non-Polish citizen going around with Warszawa on his mind. Only ChrisZwolle and Suburbanist spell it that way.
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #1785
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I think, for once, we disagree. And not just because of my Polish ancestry. How many European cities of that size actually have a single "international name"?

And NordikNerd thinking such-and-such should be "the international name" for that city doesn't make it so. I'll happily take his word for it that that's how it's known in Swedish, but seeing it referred to by what to me is its German name seemed, and seems, odd....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 10th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #1786
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Szczecin (/ˈʃtʃɛtʃɪn/; Polish pronunciation: [ˈʂt͡ʂɛt͡ɕin] ( listen); German: Stettin [ʃtɛˈtiːn] ( listen); Swedish also: Stettin; Yiddish: שטעטין, Shtettin) is the capital city of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship in Poland. In the vicinity of the Baltic Sea, it is the country's seventh-largest city and a major seaport in Poland. As of June 2011 the population was 407,811.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szczecin
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #1787
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I think, for once, we disagree. And not just because of my Polish ancestry. How many European cities of that size actually have a single "international name"?

And NordikNerd thinking such-and-such should be "the international name" for that city doesn't make it so. I'll happily take his word for it that that's how it's known in Swedish, but seeing it referred to by what to me is its German name seemed, and seems, odd....

It doesn't even have to be the same spelling. Stettin in both English and German isn't that bad. As long as he doesn't start calling Helsinki Helsingfors because the Swedes do so... Or Pietari for St Petersburg because that is the way the Finnish spell it. Otherwise you'll have to be consequent and start pronouncing all Russian cities their way, using their scripts as well. That's why I don't agree with these two persons on here who keep on using place names in the original language in English text.
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #1788
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
As long as he doesn't start calling Helsinki Helsingfors because the Swedes do so...
Helsingfors is an official name for the city. Helsinki also is. Stettin isn't one since Poland doesn't have German or Swedish as their official language, but Finland has both Swedish and Finnish. However, I'd see it more as using a historically well-known name that is closer to your pronounciation abilities or just out of habit from learning it a long time ago in school. Lots of people still call Gdansk Danzig or Kaliningrad Königsberg for example. I'm sure there are other cities in a similar situation, but those are the ones most familiar to me.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #1789
Road_UK
BANNED

I meant from the English language point of view.
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #1790
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Okay, if you're going to argue about whether it's okay to say Helsingfors in English, I feel a headache coming on. (But my spell-check, for what it's worth, doesn't like it.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #1791
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Self-censored

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #1792
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
It wouldn't necessarily have to be pronounced the German way.
We call London 'London', however we don't say [landn], but [london], like it's written.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #1793
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

We call London 'London', however we don't say [landn], but [london], like it's written.
People from Northern England (from Birmingham onwards) also call it exactly the way it is written.
Old July 10th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #1794
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venividi View Post
however in my hometown, which also has a ferry connection with Sweden, I see increasing numbers of swedish people traveling to Poland. I'm not sure why they are coming here, but it seems that our shops offer good prices for swedish customers so you can find swedish car plates in a parking lots at shopping centers more often than a few years ago.
Yes. The Gdansk/Gdynia area has improved lately and it's advertised quite well by Scandlines.

NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #1795
MonteChristo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Helsingfors is an official name for the city. Helsinki also is. Stettin isn't one since Poland doesn't have German or Swedish as their official language, but Finland has both Swedish and Finnish. However, I'd see it more as using a historically well-known name that is closer to your pronounciation abilities or just out of habit from learning it a long time ago in school. Lots of people still call Gdansk Danzig or Kaliningrad Königsberg for example. I'm sure there are other cities in a similar situation, but those are the ones most familiar to me.
So use it on Swedish forum. This is english forum-official name of the city is Szczecin (you like it or not). Stettin may be misleading for others.
MonteChristo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #1796
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteChristo View Post
So use it on Swedish forum. This is english forum-official name of the city is Szczecin (you like it or not). Stettin may be misleading for others.
Who decided this? You? In the native-English speaking world they're trying to avoid things like scsczzcccsszzzzzzz....
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #1797
MonteChristo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Who decided this? You? In the native-English speaking world they're trying to avoid things like scsczzcccsszzzzzzz....

Personal culture-I use name understandable for everyone-official name-even if I have problems with it.

I'm talking about international forum.
MonteChristo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #1798
Road_UK
BANNED

You do that, I'll use my English the way I've been taught since I've been able to speak my first word. Your English is pretty err... international as well. I had to puzzle a little bit to figure out what you were saying.
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #1799
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteChristo View Post
Quote:
Okay guys, play nice. Road, you know I normally agree with you about this sort of thing, but there are apparently two schools of thought in the "native-English-speaking world" about what to call the city in question (when it comes up at all). And apparently Wikipedia agrees with, um, the school you're not in.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

GROBIN liked this post
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #1800
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

In this case, given the history I can perhaps understand the Polish insistence on Szczecin, but from a practical and commercial point of view they should really embrace the historic name "Stettin" internationally, as that is something people will remember and connect with the rich architecture of this beautiful city.

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip