daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #1801
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

My next roadtrip is going to be to Szczebrzeszyn !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szczebrzeszyn
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #1802
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
In this case, given the history I can perhaps understand the Polish insistence on Szczecin, but from a practical and commercial point of view they should really embrace the historic name "Stettin" internationally, as that is something people will remember and connect with the rich architecture of this beautiful city.
Um...

Like Danzig and Breslau and Posen and Budweis and Brünn and Pressburg....

Seriously, as time goes on, the "historic" name will be known to fewer and fewer people.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #1803
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Den Haag or The Hague? München or Munich? Milano or Milan? Beograd or Belgrade? Athina or Athens?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #1804
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Den Haag or The Hague? München or Munich? Milano or Milan? Beograd or Belgrade? Athina or Athens?
If spoken and written in English then The Hague, Munich, Milan, Belgrade and Athens.
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #1805
Road_UK
BANNED

My point exactly. So why bother with SZZSC etc? Polish is a very difficult language. So why not stick with some of the old German names internationally and perhaps change a few things to make it easier in English?
Old July 10th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #1806
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

Maybe you will gather enough courage and will eventually drive farther south of that!
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #1807
Venividi
BANNED

Quote:
Yes. The Gdansk/Gdynia area has improved lately and it's advertised quite well by Scandlines.
Why Scandlines? Karlskrona-Gdynia route is operated by Stena Line (and Gdańsk-Nynäshamn by Polferries)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd
you should visit also Jazgarzewszczyzna
[IMG]http://i58.************/2iaphdy.jpg[/IMG]

Kanadzie, Moravian, GROBIN liked this post
Venividi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #1808
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venividi View Post
however in my hometown, which also has a ferry connection with Sweden, I see increasing numbers of swedish people traveling to Poland. I'm not sure why they are coming here, but it seems that our shops offer good prices for swedish customers so you can find swedish car plates in a parking lots at shopping centers more often than a few years ago.
Swedes have never been able to resist the siren song of the Polish lands, for hundreds of years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Um...

Seriously, as time goes on, the "historic" name will be known to fewer and fewer people.
My Polish-born father always calls all of those places those names (and Stettin too, though sounds almost same ) Well, okay, maybe not Brno (this one is probably even worse for an anglophone to say than Szeczcin), but it's rare for Brno to come up in conversation for people who don't live anywhere near there or Ostrava either

Quote:
The Hague sounds like a disease. 's Gravenhage is much better

Last edited by Kanadzie; July 11th, 2014 at 01:33 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #1809
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Swedes have never been able to resist the siren song of the Polish lands, for hundreds of years

My Polish-born father always calls all of those places those names (and Stettin too, though sounds almost same ) Well, okay, maybe not Brno (this one is probably even worse for an anglophone to say than Szeczcin), but it's rare for Brno to come up in conversation for people who don't live anywhere near there or Ostrava either
My American-born father had some interesting names learned from his Polish-born father for "Russians." Don't know if he had any for "Swedes." ;-)

And that's "Mährische Ostrau" to you!

Quote:
The Hague sounds like a disease. 's Gravenhage is much better
's Gravenhage, pronounced properly, sounds like a disease of the throat. I mean the actual pronunciation sounds like you have one.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Kanadzie liked this post
Old July 11th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #1810
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:

Which is famous for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Po...85szcz_-_2.ogg
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:38 AM   #1811
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Well, okay, maybe not Brno (this one is probably even worse for an anglophone to say than Szeczcin), but it's rare for Brno to come up in conversation for people who don't live anywhere near there or Ostrava either
You mean the village on the left by the right turn on the way to Vienna? .

Quote:
And that's "Mährische Ostrau" to you!
Ostrava as it is now did not exists back then. It were several cities/villages.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #1812
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, I know I've seen "Mährische Ostrau" on an old map somewhere....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #1813
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteChristo View Post
Question is who needs more that ferry connection? It would be Sweden that is cut off from the rest of the contintental Europe.
From looking at the traffic it's 90% European traffic on these direct to Europe ferry's and as far as I know our real trade surplus is done outside Europe so technically it would be Europe losing the most.

But there is also many negative aspect with these ferry's, specially in transportation many local company's/drivers lose out completly as they have to follow strict local laws.. or actual follow laws, while European traffic is kinda dodgy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteChristo View Post
So you guys need better marketing-because Ystad is completey unknown among Poles (probably ecxept truckers)
Nah this is like the coast of England, it's great for natives that "get it" but ads little to foreigners...Ystad = Swedish Penzance(look it up).
+It's x3 times more expensive then Polish coast, why would U come here?
+Already there is no more rooms to rent or tables to eat at in July/August.
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #1814
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Well, I know I've seen "Mährische Ostrau" on an old map somewhere....
Yes. Besides Moravská Ostrava, there was also Slezská Ostrava and other villages or cities. Moravská Ostrava was already made of several independent villages cities. The place grew very fast in the 20th century.

Mährische means Moravian as it was on the Moravian side of the river Ostravice. Moravská Ostrava and Slezská Ostrava are still the names of two city districts.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #1815
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

Quote:
According to the article you linked, the ferry transport to Poland is expected to be increasing in the future. So something has to be done.

Ystad is closer to Poland & Bornholm than Trelleborg and an obvious starting point for the ferries in that direction.

The ferry traffic is of national interest so the question is how much can the local residents of Ystad decide about it ?
It seems like the eternal argument: We need a port or a motorway but not in my backyard !

Ystad is as you say the gateway to Österlen which is upscale and the ferries
do not fit into that image.

Closing the ferry-traffic in Ystad would mean increasing traffic through Trelleborg. I recently drove through here and this is also a quaint little town
with a big ferry terminal in the centre. What do the people of Trelleborg think about Ystad rejecting the ferry traffic to Poland ?

The arriving ferry passengers in Ystad create revenue for the local trade. Closed ferry traffic would result in reduced income for local shops, gas stations, restaurants. Who would profit from the ferries disappearing ?

The port of Sassnitz, Rugen Germany also handles a lot of ferry traffic across the Baltic Sea. This port used to be located in the heart of the city Sassnitz but a newer and bigger port was built south of the city in 1991.

Maybe its time to build a new port east of Ystad this would also reduce the traveltime for the ferries to Bornholm.
It's already happening, the new line run by TT-lines from Poland to Trelleborg is doing great, in 10 years Ystad will only have the ferry to Bornholm.
http://www.trelleborgsallehanda.se/t...-tar-fart.html
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #1816
Voorish-Gdansk

Likes (Received): 2036

Quote:
Easier to pronounce for non-Polish citizens.
The international name for Szczecin is Szczecin since it was included into polish state. I don't understand why everything needs to be made easier for "non-polish" citizens? I have never heard complaints from such regarding our nomenclature, except for native-english speakers. This is the proper name, deal with it.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Voorish-Gdansk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #1817
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voorish-Gdansk View Post
The international name for Szczecin is Szczecin since it was included into polish state. I don't understand why everything needs to be made easier for "non-polish" citizens? I have never heard complaints from such regarding our nomenclature, except for native-english speakers. This is the proper name, deal with it.
So... How is life in Danzig treating you?
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #1818
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Um...

Still, in some languages many city names are translated. In Norwegian, I'd be talking about "Praha", "Köln" (sometimes "Køln") and "Wien", for instance. Those would be "Prague", "Cologne" and "Vienna" in English, of course, and that's just the way it is. It's not me trying to offend Czechs, Germans and Austrians when writing or speaking English...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #1819
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Of course. But I'm a native speaker of English and I don't think of the town in question as "Stettin." Granted, it doesn't come up all that often....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 29th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #1820
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Thanks for so much talk about Szczecin; now I know it's in German pronounced Stettín, and not Stéttin, as I thought.

cinxxx liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autoroute, france, highway, motorway, pirineos, pirineus, road, road trip, roadtrip