daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #61
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2241

coincidentally they don't seem to have released those.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 17th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #62
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_concrete View Post
You knock buildings down because they are structurally unsafe, too expensive to renovate or no longer serve their purpose, not because the cladding goes out of fashion. It's an appartment building, the specifications for which are hardly going to change so drastically in the next 30 years as to warrant it being demolished and replaced with something else. If random cladding dates as badly as everyone keeps saying it will then the worst that will happen is a re-clad.
You know what i mean. There are endless blocks being stripped back from the 60s and 70s because they were both ugly and built to a piss poor standard.

I think the same thing will happen again to a lot of the buildings going up now in 30 years. Especially the awfully built apartment buildings going up, some of them are an absolute disgrace.

what i mean is that we need to get things right first time unless we want another dense building backlash.

The renderings of this building are pretty poor quality, a higher quality rendering with the building shimmering in the sun and id probably give a different response, which also highlights the problems of renders!
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #63
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1525

Cladding never ages well whatever design it is. Even 1 Canada Square when you get up really close you start to see its age. It's only because the stainless steel is so timeless it gets away with looking new from a distance. There's elements of Lloyds that look very much of the 80s, the detailing concrete portions of it especially. I can see the Gherkin being reclad in thirty forty years I reckon, even now when you get up close some of it especially around the base is looking tatty. Lack of constant upkeep I guess.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #64
N1

Likes (Received): 0

i wouldnt hold my breath on this one. nothing ever seems to go anywhere in vauxhall
N1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #65
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
i wouldnt hold my breath on this one. nothing ever seems to go anywhere in vauxhall
With proposals like this i can see why.
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #66
crave
fierce buildings papi.

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post

form, shape, cladding etc looks very deco to me...
i reckon it'll look good given tha finish on tha cladding/glass is high quality!
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #67
DarJoLe

There's some concept models and renders of this scheme in the window of MAKE's studio in Whitfield Street W1 if anyone's around the area and can take some pics.
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #68
TomD'07
Surveying a town near you

That would be a good idea as we may then be able to guage how wide this is from the other angles that aren't covered by the selective renders.
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #69
DarJoLe

These are the models I was taking about.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #70
TomD'07
Surveying a town near you

any idea which model is the actual design being put forward? i know its not the tallest one!
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #71
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 173

In that first picture there seem to be even more models on the shelves behind! They seem to have put alot of effort into this.

Flickr

Pinterest
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM   #72
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 995

hello guys;-), just to share with u..it looks quite similar to this - New CIMB Bank Tower, KL

image hosted on flickr

by Jóga

image hosted on flickr

by jet5031

image hosted on flickr

by spOt_ON

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=604618
World 2 World está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM   #73
beleevme
DJZoneOne

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by World 2 World View Post
hello guys;-), just to share with u..it looks quite similar to this - New CIMB Bank Tower, KL

image hosted on flickr

by spOt_ON

Stock exchange redeveloment to the left, bondway to the right!

My music :ZoneOne; Toxic mix of DNB/dubstep, electronic, industrial metal and rock
beleevme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #74
Frediography

Likes (Received): 0

They do need to do something with the current site. It's in a position so many people must go past and just doesn't look great at the moment.
I like it.
Frediography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #75
DarJoLe

CABE Design Review
69-71 Bondway, Vauxhall
Lambeth
Residential-led tower of 47 storeys and 400 flats close to Vauxhall station. Designed by Make Architects.

9 July 2009
Planning reference: 09/01520/FUL

This is an exciting and interesting scheme. The elegant massing and good proportions have produced a successful form and we are satisfied, in principle, that the proposed height could be appropriate. We have reservations about the design of the canopy and feel that the building’s relationship with the ground plane requires further work to ensure that the development engages with the public realm, both existing and emerging. However, overall we are confident that the applicant demonstrates a commitment to high quality design, and we therefore support the planning application.

Form and massing
The proposed scheme will be among the first in a wider Vauxhall regeneration area and should be considered, not only as a stand-alone tower within its existing context, but also as a part of the cluster of tall buildings proposed by Lambeth’s Vauxhall Area draft Supplementary Planning Document (SPD). In principle we support the proposal for a cluster of tall buildings in this location but feel that the towers, and this first one in particular, must be of excellent architectural quality to justify their impact on local and distant views. Because the cluster will have a significant impact on London as a whole, we urge the local authority to closely monitor the emerging context and ensure that design quality is maintained.

The rigorous analytical work on the urban context has led to a robust architectural solution. Despite some reservations about the from-driven design and the potentially wall-like appearance of the east and west elevations, overall we find the form and massing well considered. The stepped massing skillfully breaks down the scale of the building when viewed from the north and south.

Public realm
Although we acknowledge that this is only partly within the applicant’s control, we are not convinced that the layout of the base of the tower and the surrounding public realm are fully integrated yet. We support the 40m wide public space to the west of the site, which is proposed as part of Lambeth’s Vauxhall Area SPD, and feel that the success of the cluster is, in fact, dependant on the implementation of this. However, the ground floor of this building will need to work hard to animate the space, which will be of considerable scale. We urge the local authority to ensure that the public space is well designed, carefully integrated with adjacent new buildings and offers significant amenity to local residents.

We are disappointed that the small triangular site to the south is not included in this application. In view of the density of the emerging context, the value of this space as an amenity for residents is further emphasized. We welcome the stated intention to incorporate the site as a new amenity space within the open space strategy for the Vauxhall Heart SPD area and urge the local authority to ensure that it can be delivered.

More work is needed to enhance the pedestrian experience on Parry Street, with its tight pavement and harsh road environment. We welcome the undercutting of the ground floor at the corner with Bondway but feel that the aspiration for trees within the narrow pavement may be unrealistic and further measures should be sought that provide a more generous pedestrian environment along this section of Parry Street.

Architectural treatment
We support the proposed use of stainless steel cladding in four surface finishes, which will give lightness to the building’s appearance. However, because its overuse could make the building appear commercial in use, the introduction of some earthy and robust materials, copper and timber, is vital in giving warmth to the expression and articulating the residential use of the building. We urge the local authority to ensure that this palette of materials is safeguarded within any approval.

The use of winter-gardens adds variety to the elevations and provides usable amenity space in poor weather conditions. We welcome the addition of the projecting winter-garden bay on the north elevation.

The development of the internal layouts is very encouraging: the articulation of the central corridors, the generous floor areas of the flats themselves and the corner aspect provided to every flat have the potential to generate good quality residential accommodation.

The form of the canopies is the least successful aspect of the design and needs more refinement. The angles create uncomfortable juxtapositions with the rectilinear elevations at the lower levels and do not relate to the angled terraces at the top of the building. We recommend that further development of the design is specifically conditioned.

Conclusion
This scheme has the potential to be a benchmark for the quality of future development in the potential cluster of towers at Vauxhall. Ultimately the success of this development will be dependant on high quality detailed design and the choice of appropriate materials and, in this context, will be very sensitive to any reduction in quality. The local planning authority should be convinced that the development can be built to a high quality and may wish to apply conditions to ensure an appropriate level of control on design details. We suggest that the design of the canopy, in particular, should be conditioned. We support the planning application and wish the project well.
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #76
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 24

go make.

though i notice nothing in cabe's report about random cladding being used to mask what is, essentially, a huge monotonous wall with cheap materials and lack of detailing or architectural form. i would have thought cabe these days would at least acknowledge this and give a verdict especially since this has been a recurring feature of architecture the last few years.
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #77
Ciudad Bristol
Virtute et Industria

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by World 2 World View Post

Have people moved into this yet and from where? Is it replacing the main office in Damansara Heights? CIMB Investments are also getting a new tower, next to KL Sentral.

Heathrow Terminal 2a – 4 June 2014
Ciudad Bristol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #78
Nightjar
Bird

Likes (Received): 2651

Those models - build 'em all - in Kensington!
Nightjar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM   #79
DarJoLe

MAKE'S VAUXHALL TOWER IN CROSSFIRE OVER MAYOR'S CROSSRAIL LEVY
21 August, 2009
By Ruth Bloomfield

Make’s plans for its 42-storey Vauxhall Bondway tower have been caught up in a row between London Mayor Boris Johnson and a local council over the levy for Crossrail.

Wandsworth Council says the £488,000 payment being demanded by Johnson to help subsidise the cross-London rail link as a condition of planning consent is too low – and wants the cash to be spent on local transport improvements instead.

Make’s plans for the 149m-high Octave tower at London's Vauxhall have been enthusiastically supported by Cabe and will be considered by Lambeth Council later this year.

Nearby Wandsworth is consulted as a neighbouring borough, and councillor Leslie McDonnell described the payment as "surprisingly low" for such a major scheme.

"Crossrail will have little or no benefit for people living in this area," he added. "We are discussing with the mayor the possibility of some sort of surcharge for developers to help pay for an extension of the Northern Line, which would be of greater use to local people."

The idea is backed by Treasury Holdings, developer of Battersea Power Station as the proposed extension would include a station at its site.

"Treasury would be keen for this to happen," said a spokesman. "By anyone’s standards, the Crossrail surcharge we will pay is going to be a lot of money. Using it to extend the Northern Line would be an entirely logical answer."

The Crossrail levy was introduced by Johnson to raise up to £300 million towards the cross-London link. Critics have warned the extra costs could cause some schemes to be abandoned altogether.

A spokeswoman for Transport for London said that Crossrail funding would not be diverted to local transport projects, and that Wandsworth would see economic benefits of £25 million a year from the line.

However she said TfL was actively considering a Northern Line extension to the power station, and was discussing funding with Treasury Holdings.
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM   #80
WrightTurn

Likes (Received): 12

It looks like the Citibank Building threw up.
WrightTurn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: