daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:48 PM   #101
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Prices for Loampit Vale are £204,000 - £288,000, hardly affordable to anyone on benefits. This is exactly what Lewisham needs. Good quality yet relatively affordable apartments to bring in more tax revenues and regenerate a badly run down area.
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:59 PM   #102
SE23 Man

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
The development is aimed at people commuting into the city, not the current Lewisham residents. It is right on top of the station which has connections to Canery Wharf, London Bridge and Victoria as I'm sure you are aware.
If I worked in any of those places, the last place I would want to live in is central Lewisham - it is a complete ****hole. Have you ever walked down the main shopping area of Lewisham High Street ? Its an absolute disgrace. However I will say that inside the Lewisham shopping centre is not bad.

I just hope that all this redevelopment will lead to an imporved Lewisham High Street as well. Its a dirty run down place at the moment (with the exception of the indoor Lewisham shopping centre as mentioned above).

I am in favour of most of the Lewisham redevelopment projects - especially Deptford Station for example. That is fantastic!

I know that there is a lack of space in Lewisham centre. For example they have yet to pedestrianise the shopping part of the High Street because there is nowhere for all the busses to go. The fact that it is not pedestrianised gives a bad atmousphere and many local people (including myself) prefer to do their high street shopping in either Croydon or Bromley town centres.

There are plans however to relocate the current bus station in Lewisham to where the carpet ware house is on Loampit Vale (opp the new development). However this is mainly due to plans to remove the Lewisham roundabout and replace it with a traffic light junction - many people think that this plan won't solve the traffic situation though. However it would greatly improve the appearance of Lewisham town centre.
SE23 Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:02 PM   #103
SE23 Man

Quote:
Prices for Loampit Vale are £204,000 - £288,000, hardly affordable to anyone on benefits. This is exactly what Lewisham needs. Good quality yet relatively affordable apartments to bring in more tax revenues and regenerate a badly run down area.
What will happen is the local council will buy up alot of the properties from the developer and then rent/give them out as social housing.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:03 PM   #104
SE23 Man

@Rational Plan

I agree with much of what you have said.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:07 PM   #105
potto

Likes (Received): 1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE23 Man View Post
What will happen is the local council will buy up alot of the properties from the developer and then rent/give them out as social housing.
just let developers build even more then! And more 60 story penthouses
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM   #106
mouldss@hotmail.co.u
moulds

Likes (Received): 20

Lewisham 2020 look at all that fake tax coming in, financed by tax payers.

Last edited by mouldss@hotmail.co.u; February 22nd, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
mouldss@hotmail.co.u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:15 PM   #107
potto

certainly looks more exciting

Vnofd5 liked this post
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:19 PM   #108
flare

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
Too long to quote
Spot on response and applies to a lot of locations including Wembley where I work.

Residential also offers far greater return for developers. Lewisham doesn't need more empty offices and the council certainly should not discourage residential development waiting for commercial development that is unlikely to ever happen.
flare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:38 PM   #109
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE23 Man View Post
If I worked in any of those places, the last place I would want to live in is central Lewisham - it is a complete ****hole. Have you ever walked down the main shopping area of Lewisham High Street ? Its an absolute disgrace. However I will say that inside the Lewisham shopping centre is not bad.

I just hope that all this redevelopment will lead to an imporved Lewisham High Street as well. Its a dirty run down place at the moment (with the exception of the indoor Lewisham shopping centre as mentioned above).

I am in favour of most of the Lewisham redevelopment projects - especially Deptford Station for example. That is fantastic!

I know that there is a lack of space in Lewisham centre. For example they have yet to pedestrianise the shopping part of the High Street because there is nowhere for all the busses to go. The fact that it is not pedestrianised gives a bad atmousphere and many local people (including myself) prefer to do their high street shopping in either Croydon or Bromley town centres.

There are plans however to relocate the current bus station in Lewisham to where the carpet ware house is on Loampit Vale (opp the new development). However this is mainly due to plans to remove the Lewisham roundabout and replace it with a traffic light junction - many people think that this plan won't solve the traffic situation though. However it would greatly improve the appearance of Lewisham town centre.
I work in the Borough, and went to school in Lewisham for 14 years. So erm yes, i am fully aware of the problems in Lewisham.

I rarely go to shopping in Lewisham. Hell I try and avoid the place altogether if I can. The shopping centre needs total redevelopment. But I really can't see how this will happen at the moment. The area needs some kind of gentrification before a developer would dream of touching such a huge project. If someone like Westfield came in now, they would tart the place up, but you will still find it full of pound shops. I hate that shopping centre with a passion. I actually prefer the highstreet!

And the roads are atrocious. One of the key issues being the South Circular an the Catford Gyratory. That whole road really ought to be an urban motorway the amount of traffic it has. Lets face it though, there is more chance of a tube line being built to Lewisham than there is that the roads will ever be sorted out. Better public transport would go some way towards fixing the transport problems, but that will only happen if the population increases to make more transport connections worth while.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #110
potto

so central funding to correct urban intervention mistakes of the past would have long term benefits
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:35 PM   #111
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
so central funding to correct urban intervention mistakes of the past would have long term benefits
Well of course it can, and a lot schemes in the past worked, they just look unfashionable now. The problem is that everything is very expensive to build these days and everyone is against anything that involves knocking anything down.

Lots of towns could benefit from new roads and rail, but the only schemes that can get past opposition involves tunneling, unfortunately that is massively expensive.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:31 PM   #112
SE23 Man

Quote:
I work in the Borough, and went to school in Lewisham for 14 years. So erm yes, i am fully aware of the problems in Lewisham.

I rarely go to shopping in Lewisham. Hell I try and avoid the place altogether if I can. The shopping centre needs total redevelopment. But I really can't see how this will happen at the moment. The area needs some kind of gentrification before a developer would dream of touching such a huge project. If someone like Westfield came in now, they would tart the place up, but you will still find it full of pound shops. I hate that shopping centre with a passion. I actually prefer the highstreet!

And the roads are atrocious. One of the key issues being the South Circular an the Catford Gyratory. That whole road really ought to be an urban motorway the amount of traffic it has. Lets face it though, there is more chance of a tube line being built to Lewisham than there is that the roads will ever be sorted out. Better public transport would go some way towards fixing the transport problems, but that will only happen if the population increases to make more transport connections worth while.
If you check the Lewisham Council website you will find information for the "Lewisham Gateway" project. If this goes ahead then the town centre will certainly be a nicer and better place but hell the High Street in Lewisham is disgusting right now. The plans will include extensions to the shopping centre but there simply isn't enough space to make it big enough to be on par with the shopping centres in Bromely and Croydon. And the plans will not solve the traffic situation either.

Interesting that you mention the A205 south circular because back in the 1980's there were plans with the GLC to build an overhead double laned road between Forest Hill and Catford but it never got the go ahead and I bet they are kicking themselves now. However it would have meant the destruction of a large number of homes.

This might interest you, there are some plans being proposed to extend the DLR not only from Lewisham to Catford - but from Catford to Forest Hill! and the plans show it running along the A205. However it is still a bit of a mystery as to what the infrastructure will be: will it run in a tunnel under the road ? or what ?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:42 PM   #113
SE23 Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldss@hotmail.co.u View Post
Lewisham 2020 look at all that fake tax coming in, financed by tax payers.
Great, you have even got the Lewisham clock tower in there.

Last edited by SE23 Man; February 22nd, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:53 PM   #114
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 12649

Related story:

How to solve housing crisis: give away land
South London Press
February 2012
Quote:
DEVELOPERS could be given land for free by a council which is desperate to tackle a social housing shortage.

The option could be adopted by Lewisham council in “exceptional circumstances”, a report said.

The authority is expecting to see 37,000 more households move into the borough over the next 20 years.

But only 16,500 private and council homes are predicted to be built over the next two decades, leaving a potential 20,500 property shortfall.

A report, which will be discussed by the council’s housing select committee on Thursday, contains the radical suggestion to help deal with the issue.

The report says: “Land in London can form a considerable percentage of the overall costs required for development.

“The reduction of the acquisition cost can help to deliver much-needed affordable housing.

“However, where free or discounted [land] is being considered, a full justification and benefits analysis would be undertaken and agreed by [the] mayor and cabinet.

“Lewisham is not a council that has a large portfolio of unused council land.”

The report says the town hall has around 10 small sites that make up around seven acres which would be suitable to be given away or sold at a discounted rate.

Labour councillor Paul Bell, a member of the housing committee, said: “I would be against giving land away for free to developers.

“But if it went to housing associations, that could be one way of bringing more housing in.”

Another option listed in the report suggests the council puts the cash into developments itself, or applies to the Government for money to build new homes.

A third idea is for the council to encourage developers or housing associations to defer payment for sites until after the development is finished.

Several major developments in Lewisham that included affordable housing have stalled due to a lack of funding since 2008.

They include the Lewisham Gateway project, which proposed 800 homes in Lewisham town centre, and a development at the former Catford greyhound stadium, off Adenmore Road, where plans for 600 new homes were shelved.

-
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #115
Mister City

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:

Totally agree with eveything you've written!! Lewisham town centre is an absolute disgrace at the moment. It really needs sprucing up - FAST!!! I try and avoid it as much as possible because it is so rundown and dirty. I grew up in Lewisham and it's such a shame to see it in such a state!!

I agree with you about Lewisham needing a big name developer like Westfield or Hammerson to extend and rebuild Lewisham Centre.

I would love to see Lewisham Cenre turned into a Westfield for South London. If they knocoked down all the shops from the Station roundabout to the Library roundbaout and the God awful Lewisham Centre I'm pretty sure thay could build a huge inner-city shopping centre liek Westifeld White City / Shepherds Buch or Cabot Circus in Bristol.

I really wish Lewisham Council would pull their finger out and do something drastic. I've heard so much talk about the redevelopment of Lewisham for over 20 years but very little has happened!!
Mister City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #116
SE23 Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister City View Post

I agree with you about Lewisham needing a big name developer like Westfield or Hammerson to extend and rebuild Lewisham Centre.

I would love to see Lewisham Cenre turned into a Westfield for South London. If they knocoked down all the shops from the Station roundabout to the Library roundbaout and the God awful Lewisham Centre I'm pretty sure thay could build a huge inner-city shopping centre liek Westifeld White City / Shepherds Buch or Cabot Circus in Bristol.

DREAM ON.
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #117
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 12649

Won't happen in Lewisham considering that Westfield are planning one for Croydon.

-
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #118
SE23 Man

Won't happen in Lewisham full stop. The current Lewisham centre incorperates both the multi story car park and the shopping centre, and they can't make the shopping centre bigger without getting rid of the car park - which they can't do because that is needed. There isn't enough space in Lewisham town centre to build a Westfield type shopping centre.

The only way would be to get rid of that discusting scummy market which out on the high street and build on it an extension to the shopping centre. But of course it would only get filled with fried chicken shops anyway....it seems to be what a lot of people live off in Lewisham.
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #119
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 326

Tbh, the thought of a London where retail is anchored on Central London and a load of Westfields elsewhere is not one I like. Two is enough imo. Best thing for Lewisham and many other places is to offer a combination of locally needed shops and something a bit different and unique to pull in people, although perhaps Greenwich performs that function in SE London with the market. A modern take on a shopping arcade would be cool, with maybe a small indoor mall.
kerouac1848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #120
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

There is a small indoor mall up the road in Bromley. The South East needs a major retail destination. It is all well and good for those of you in the North of the city, you have so much choice. Down South we have to contend with small dated and run down malls, or drive all the way to Bluewater. Remember transport connections in this part of the city are severely lacking. Westfield Stratford might be just across the river, but with the total lack of river crossings, it might as well be in White City.

Tags
gateway, lewisham, loampit, london, renaissance, vale

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: