daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #81
jumping_jack
midnight talker
 
jumping_jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rome
Posts: 3,185
Likes (Received): 821

DocentX do you have any image of the Gołuchów castle before it's XIX century restoration? some old illustration that shows how the place looked like after its construction?

thnx
jumping_jack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #82
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

I've found only this :

__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #83
jumping_jack
midnight talker
 
jumping_jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rome
Posts: 3,185
Likes (Received): 821

thank you very much! i was really wondering how it could look like because i'm definitely not a fan of it's actual appearance, its french look is too much out of context for the polish landscape. i asked because once i found a picture of kurnik castle before the XIX neo gothic transformation

kurnik now



before:



i really love some polish castels especially the krasiczyn, wawel, breg and pieskowa skala that are masterpieces of the renaissance, however the last page is somehow disappointing for me, both the modern renovations than the XIX century stylizations appear fake. the bricks from tykocin seems to come from disneyland the same is for the glossy roof in moszna, and both kurnik and goluchow have lost their greater poland character in favor of a transient XIX century fashion...
jumping_jack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #84
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

Brzeg castle

Firstly mentioned in 13th century, rebuilt in 16th century, the castle of Brzeg is the great monument of Reinaissance architectonic style.

The builders were inspirated by the castle of Wawel in Krakow, so some elements remind this famous place.

In Brzeg, the part which is especially worth noting is the main gate decorated with the sculptures of 12 Polish kings and 12 princes of Silesia region from Polish Piast dynasty.

The date when the castle was built is not known. There was the small fortress in 1235 during the reign of Polish Prince Henry with Beard.

Probably this castle wasn’t built in brick. There was a moat and defensive walls.

At the end of 13th century Bolko I built the square tower called „The Tower of Lions” next to the castle. In 1342 the castle got the official status of the capital of the duchy. This situation made the castle be often rebuilt and modernized.

First the castle consisted of one building. In 1358 Ludwik I started the expansion of the castle. He built the new building. Another big expansion was made by Frideryk II in 1544. The works were finished in 1560. This expansion changed the gothic fortress into the ranaissance residence. Not many monarchs had such residences in those days. Two new wings of the castle were built. They surounded the big courtyard with the ambulatory.

The tower gate was butli in 1554 and it was the entrance to the castle. The decoration on the gate shows the busts of the Piast princes.

Over 150 years the castle was the cultural centre of the region - till the year 1741, when it was damaged by Prussians. Later, it was used as a tavern and barracks what slowly changed the beautiful place into ruins. Fortunately, after the second world war it was renovated and now the visitors can enjoy the climate of the renaissance interior of the Museum of the Piasts of Silesia Region.















__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'

Last edited by DocentX; June 19th, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM   #85
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

Łańcut castle

Łańcut Castle is one of the most beautiful aristocratic residences in Poland, famous for its excellent interiors and extraordinarily interesting collection of horse-drawn carriages. The palace complex is surrounded by an old and picturesque park in the English style filled with pavilions and farm buildings, all part of the former the daily life of the castle.

The history of Łańcut stretches back to the early Middle Ages, founded as a town in 1349 under Polish King Casmir the Great. The major landowning families in Łańcut were, successively, the Pilecki’s, Stadnicki’s, Lubomirki’s and the Potocki’s.

The first residence of the “Łańcut dukes” was located on a hill in the northern part of the town. The present castle was built for Stanisław Lubomirski in 1629 - 1642. At that time it was a modern, “palazzo in forteza” type of residence, consisting of living quarter with donjons at the corners, surrounded by bastion fortifications. The builders included Maciej Trapola, Krzysztof Mieroszewski, Tylman from Gameren and Giovanni Battista Falconi.

In the second half of the 18th century, the then current owner of Łańcut, Izabela Lubomirska of the Czartoryski family, converted the fortress into palace-park complex. She employed outstanding artists such as Szymon Bogumił Zug, Jan Christian Kamsetzer, Christian Piotr Aigner, Fryderyk Bauman and Vincenzo Brenna.

The most important changes were made to the layout and equipment of the castle, adapting them to the needs of the fashion of the times. The palace was filled with excellent works of art. In the 1870s, work started to create the park surrounding the castle. After levelling the embankments and re-aligning the road surrounding the moat, lime-trees were planted out creating an avenue.

At the end of 18th century, Łańcut was one of the greatest residences in Poland. It featured an active musical and theatrical life, with many famous guests staying. In 1816, after Princess Izabela Lubomirska’s death, the whole estate became a property of her grandson Alfred Potocki the First, who in 1830 created electoral law in Łańcut.

His son, Alfred Józef the Second, was tightly connected with the ruling house of Habsburgs. He rarely visited Łańcut, and so the castle together with the park fell into disuse.

After Alfred the Second’s death, Łańcut moved into Roman Potocki’s hands, who together with his wife, Elżbieta from the Radziwiłł family, returned it to its former splendour.

From 1889 to 1911, the castle was renovated and reconstructed, the works led by French architect Armand Beaugue and Italian draughtsman Albert Pio.

The reconstruction included all floors, and water supply, sewerage and electrical systems were installed throughout the castle. Most of the present interiors were created at that time. The elevations were converted into French neo-baroque style. Works in the park started in 1890 and continued for 14 years. It was twice enlarged and surrounded fenced in. An Italian garden was created near eastern side of the castle, while a rose garden was arranged on the southern side of the Orangery.

After this thorough reconstruction and modernisation, the Łańcut palace-park complex became one of the most luxurious residences in the continental Europe, and archdukes such Rudolf and Frank Ferdinand were frequent guests. The residence was visited by many representatives of famous aristocratic dynasties and famous diplomats. At the beginning of 20th century Łańcut electoral law was in fifth place, in respect of its area, in Poland.

The next Lord of the Manor in Łańcut, from 1915, was Alfred Potocki the Third. In 1920s the central heating was modernized, and a bathing suite installed in underground rooms. Łańcut Castle became a place for social meetings. The castle was visited by representatives of royal dynasties, Polish and foreign aristocracy and politicians. These included Rumanian King Ferdinand together with his wife, and George the Duke of Kent. In 1944 Potocki had to leave Łańcut. He settled in Switzerland, where he died in 1958.

























__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #86
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603


Wow- quite beautiful. Prawdziwy Polski zamek
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #87
Karasek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lusatia Superior
Posts: 1,811
Likes (Received): 804

Some remarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocentX View Post
Brzeg castle
The builders were inspirated by the castle of Wawel in Krakow, so some elements remind this famous place.
Inspired to a certain extend, but the castle is much closer related to the Georgenhof of Dresdens castle and castles in Northern Italy. The builders, the Parr family, came from Northern Italy, and the architectural sculptures were made by Andreas Walther, a Saxon artist who worked in Dresden before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocentX View Post
In Brzeg, the part which is especially worth noting is the main gate decorated with the sculptures of 12 Polish kings and 12 princes of Silesia region from Polish Piast dynasty.
It was the Silesian Piast dynasty. And the gate also shows the duke and his wife Barbara of Brandenburg, their combined coat of arms, two squires holding their coat of arms and the coat of arms of Polish king Sigismund Augustus.
The iconographic programme often gets misinterpreted in Poland. It wasn't made to illustrate the bond of the *Silesian Piasts* with Poland but to upset the Austrian emperor. The Habsburgs, owner of the Bohemian crown and therefore also ruler over Silesia, pursued a much more centralist policy than the Jagiellons, which were kings of Bohemia shortly before. The more centralist policy of the Habsburgs restricted the power of the Silesian Piasts, which were, by origin, almost equal to the Habsburgs, but de facto pretty weak in the 16th century. So, the local Piasts created this gate to point out their equal ancestry and to show the Austrians that they were happier with the more decentralist rule of the former kings of Bohemia, the Jagiellons.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #88
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

Tenczyn castle

The Tenczyn Castle, otherwise known as the Tęczyn Castle, is a medieval castle in the village of Rudno, Poland. It was built as a seat of the powerful Tęczyński family.

The castle fell into ruin during the Deluge in mid-17th century, after being pillaged and burned by Swedish-Brandenburgian forces looking for the Polish Crown Jewels and rumored treasures of the Tęczyński family. Subsequently rebuilt, after a fire in the mid-18th century it again fell into disrepair and remains in that state to this day.

The first mention of the stronghold is dated 24 September 1308, when king Władysław I the Elbow-high, who was hunting in the woods "in Thanczin", issued a diploma to the Cistercian monastery in Sulejów. It is believed that the first wooden structure was erected around 1319 by Jan Nawój of Morawica, Castellan of Cracow.

Further expansion was carried out by Jan's son Jędrzej, governor of Cracow and Sandomierz. He erected the north-east part of the structure, where he lived, dying there in 1368; he is also known as the first to take the name Tęczyński. Jędrzej's son Jasko renewed and significantly expanded the castle, and founded a chapel. The first recorded mention relating directly to the castle dates from this period. The king Władysław Jagiełło imprisoned some important Teutonic prisoners, captured during the Battle of Grunwald, in the castle.

Within a short period of time the Tęczyński family rose to a great importance in Poland, holding 45 estates, of which 15 were near the castle. Around the middle of the sixteenth century, the castle was frequented by Mikołaj Rej, Jan Kochanowski, Piotr Kochanowski and other important figures of the Polish Renaissance. According to Bartosz Paprocki, in 1570 Jan Tęczyński, Castellan of Wojnicz "at great cost built a new castle in Tęczyn". The new mannerist structure had three wings with a central courtyard open to the west and adorned with Renaissance attics, cornices and arcades. It was also surrounded by a curtain wall on the north, strengthened with a bastion entry (barbican). Two pentagonal bastions were erected on the south.

In 1655, during the Deluge, the rumor was spread that Jerzy Sebastian Lubomirski, Grand Marshal of the Crown had hidden the Polish Crown Jewels in Tenczyn Castle. The Swedish-Brandenburgian forces led by Kurt Christoph von Königsmarck captured the castle against a defence led by captain Jan Dziula and slaughtered all of its defenders. When they did not find treasure they left the fortress and burned it in July 1656. After the Deluge the castle was for the most part rebuilt and partially inhabited. At the beginning of the 18th century the Tenczyn estates passed to Adam Mikołaj Sieniawski, later to Prince August Aleksander Czartoryski who had married with Sieniawski's only daughter Maria Zofia, eventually passing to his daughter Izabela Lubomirska. After the fire in 1768 the structure increasingly fell into disrepair. In 1783, the remains of Jan Magnus Tęczyński were moved from the castle chapel to a new tomb in St. Catherine's Church in Tenczynek. In 1816, the castle became the property of the Potocki family and remained in their hands until the outbreak of World War II in 1939.

Today the castle is being slowly revitalized :

image hosted on flickr






__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #89
Thorvald
Registered User
 
Thorvald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sarasota, USA/Nowa Sarzyna, Poland
Posts: 27
Likes (Received): 1

Is this castle going to be totally rebuilt, or just parts of it?
Thorvald no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #90
leperd
lilium inter spinas
 
leperd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 2,095
Likes (Received): 998

o no... don't tell me they will reconstruct Teczyn castle
That would be ridiculous, if not scandalous. The castle has been a splendid ruin since at least the 18th century.

I'm sure they won't.
leperd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #91
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

examples of castles from north-west Poland:

red means that castle do not exist any more:



Szczecin castle (presented before) - look for more pic and history on previous pages









Darłowo castle

First mentioned in documents from 1271, Darlowo became a member of the Hanseatic League in the mid 14th century. It is probable that it had already been in existence even before the 13th century as a wooden settlement known Dirlov (or Dirlovo).

For some time Darlowo was ruled by a Pomeranian duke, Eric, who became the King of Denmark, Sweden and Norway soon after. Eric was a really fascinating person with an unusual history.

He was born there, in Darlowo Castle, in 1382. His controversial policy in three kingdoms caused protests and as a result he was dethroned and he settled in Visby, Sweden, to start a new episode of his life as a pirate. His wife had died by this time and he lived with her maid, Cecilia, whom he married and spent the last years of his life in Darlowo.

In the 17th century, the Brandenburg Duchy took control of the town, and it remained under German rule until World War II. Since 1945 it has been within Polish borders.













Świdwin castle

The first fortified castle at Swidwin was built some time after 1280. The exact time is not known, nor is the name of the founder as there are two pretenders to this title - the Brandenburg margrave Albrecht III and the Mecklenburg duke Przybyslaw IV, of Slavic origin.

Sold and re-sold, the castle changed hands many times, Danish Viking N.Olafson and Pomeranian nobleman Wedigo von Wedel being some of its early owners.

For a long time it was in the hands of the Teutonic Order. In 1808 the castle was taken over by the state and became the seat of local administration with the court, the arsenal and the local gaol.

Originally defensive in character, with a moat, a wall encircling it and a tower enabling the defenders to pour hot tar on the attackers, in the 18th century it was re-built and extended to give it the looks of an impressive residence.

Thus, while part of it retains its Gothic character, the other part is built in the baroque style.

The castle now houses the local cultural centre, a concert hall, a small museum, a library and a pub.







Tuczno castle

The earliest historical evidence is the following: “In the 13th century, Hasso von Wedel, the first owner of Tuczno, took possession of the brick house, previously belonging to the Prince of Great Poland”.

There is no historical evidence that the house used to occupy exactly the same area in Tuczno as the present-day Castle, but its history must have originated in those days. The first stone and brick Gothic house was built on its square foundations measuring 35x35 metres and including a square courtyard surrounded by a thick brick wall, with its east wing intended for residents.

Situated on top of the steep hill, surrounded by the waters of two lakes and swampy ground, the Castle dominating the village Tuczno used to be a well protected fortress, ideal for defence. Strategically, the location of the castle on the border between Poland and a New German Country was of vital importance which was highly appreciated by the German King Charles IV; the castle was one of the twelve fortresses situated east of the Oder River.

In the year 1331, the settlement inhabited by people of various background and origins, gained municipal rights from the Wedel family. For more than 200 years, the town and the castle witnessed family reunions and political meetings. In 1542, as a result of some religious differences and arguments, the family split into two branches, one of which adopted the name Wedel-Tuczyński, after the town Tuczno, and began to have close relationships with Poland. It was then that the further redevelopment of the castle started. A new building, equipped with very deep cellars measuring 8 and 11 metres, was erected opposite the residential wing. Some remnants of the building were excavated and uncovered in 1971.

In the 16th century, the Wedel – Tuczyński family refurbished their residence. Between the years 1542 and 1581, Stanisław Tuczyński erected a totally new Renaissance building which, in fact, replaced the Gothic castle. Some of its parts are still visible in the present-day building. However, all those 16th century reconstructions and redevelopments of the castle did not affect the Gothic arrangement of the courtyard surrounded by a 7-metre brick wall.

Some further changes occurred during the years 1608-1631, when Krzysztof Tuczyński added two completely new wings; the west and the south. Thus the courtyard was now surrounded by three wings and a brick wall. In the 17th century, the facades of the three wings were reshaped according to the baroque style and the wall was pulled down to open the courtyard. Thus, in line with contemporary fashion, began the transformation of the medieval fortress into a rich residence of the Tuczyńscy family.

The death of the last member of the Wedel family, Andrzej Tuczyński, in the year 1717, marked the beginning of the castle’s dilapidation due to the lack of care and negligence of the next owner.

In 1772, both the town Tuczno and the castle were under the Prussian reign. Although the west wing was completely rebuilt in 1846, the castle did not lose its monumental nature. The other parts of the castle also underwent some minor alterations.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the mayor of Tuczno says in his letter that the castle is almost completely dilapidated. Following the intervention of the authorities of Piła and Berlin, the building was redecorated and then transformed into a hospital and given to the German Charity Organization called ”Caritas”.

During the Second World War, the castle played an important role as a means of German defense, as one out of 12 fortifications called “Wał Pomorski” (The Pomeranian Position). A huge explosion destroyed the building in 1945.

The reconstruction work started in 1957. Following the thorough historical and architectural studies, the reconstruction was completed in 1976 and the castle was opened as the Architects’ House. The Association of Polish Architects called SARP was awarded a special prize from the Minister of Arts and Culture for the reconstruction of the building and their involvement in the whole project.







__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #92
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

Nidzica castle



The castle in Nidzica (German Neidenburg) was built around 1370 by the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, Winrich von Kniprode, as one of the major strategic points in the defence system of the Teutonic state.

The Gothic fortress was raised on a high hill, east of a medieval settlement and replaced a wooden watchtower fort of the 13th century, which had stood at the site of the present outer ward of the castle. The brick castle, surrounded with bogs and vast marshes, was like a shield for the southern part of the Teutonic state.

It protected numerous villages established by the Order near the towns of Dąbrówno, Olsztynek and Działdowo against Lithuanian retaliatory attacks. It also guarded an alternative route from Masovia to Malbork. The castle was a seat of Teutonic officials, both commanders (Komtur) and procurators (Prokurator).

Following continual border disputes, a peace conference was summoned at the castle in Nidzica in 1389. It was attended by delegates of the Teutonic Order, Poland and Lithuania, including the Duke of Masovia Ziemowit, the Duke of Lithuania Skirgiełło, the grand commander Konrad Wallenrod, the Grand Marshall, the Grand Hospitallier and the bishops of Poznań and Pomezania.

During the Great War (1409-1410) between the knights and the Kingdom of Poland and Duchess of Lithuania, on 8th July 1410 the town and the castle of Nidzica were captured by the Polish king, Władysław Jagiełło.

But in September that year the town was returned to the Teutonic Knights and the peace treaty, which ended the war, legally confirmed the Knights' ownership.

In 1656 Nidzica was attacked by Tatars, who were on their way back from the battlefield at Prostki. But the town's gates were promptly shut down and so the attackers set a camp behind the town's fortified walls, burning and looting defenceless suburbs. A young burgher, Jan Nowak, who was then staying at the castle, noticed the Tartar leader with his companions as they were sitting and feasting near a huge boulder south-east of the town. Without hesitation, he loaded and fired a canon, killing all the banqueters. The loss of the leader caused panic in the Tartar camp. The town's authorities, fearful of what might issue of it, ordered to find Jan but he had already hidden himself in a dung heap. The Tartars, however, did not strike back. After some time Jan's wife showed his hiding place and the young man was greeted as a hero. This is what the legend says.

The chronicles of Nidzica also record the presence of the French army led by Marshalla Ney, and Bernadotte and by the generals Augereau and Zajączek; the latter organised a field hospital at the castle. The second arrival of the French troops followed by the Don cossacks fighting for the Russian tsar left the castle badly damaged.

The castle was rescued from oblivion by Ferdinand Gregorovicius, a privy counsellor, who conducted its restoration. In 1830 the works had been completed and since then the castle housed offices, private apartments and a prison.

During World War Two, while the Soviet Army were advancing westwards, the castle was largely damaged. It was restored in 1959-1965. Today the fortress consists of the great hall, the gatehouse complex and the 16th century outer ward. The spacious inner ward enclosed by four wings is flanked by two impressive corner towers. The first floor (piano nobile) of the great hall, which comprises the most refined chambers such as the chapel and refectory, preserves some remnants of Gothic frescoes.











image hosted on flickr
__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'

Last edited by DocentX; October 23rd, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #93
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

two Szymbark castles - same name but different location and history :

Szymbark castle (in ruins)



The construction of the castle began in 1301. It was built by the Teutonic Order as a summer residence of one of the four bishops of Prussia, the Bishop of Pomesania.

A Latin inscription above the main gate (Hec Porta Constructa Est Anno Domini MCCCLXXXVI Tempore Fratris Henrici De Skarlin Prepoziti) dates back to 1386 and mentions brother Henry of Skarlin as constructor. Sometimes he is described as the founder of the castle.

The castle became property of the last Catholic and first Lutheran Bishop of Pomesania, Georg von Polentz, after the secularization of the Order. In 1699 it was bought by Ernst Graf Finck von Finckenstein and remained property of the Finckenstein family until 1945.

In April 1945, about three month after the conquest by the Soviet Union, and again in 1947 the castle was set on fire and completely destroyed.

The ruins were used for the 1996 movie The Ogre by Volker Schlöndorff with John Malkovich in the title role.











Szymbark castle (fortified manor)



In the 14th century, the village of Szymbark grew in importance, fortified manor was constructed and its population increased in number so that it obtained the status of a town (the town lost its municipal rights towards the end of the 16th century).

For several hundred years Szymbark belonged to the mighty Gładysz family whose coat-of-arms was a Griffin. In the 17th century, these lands were owned successively by the Stroński, Siedlecki, and Bronikowski families.

Towards the end of the 18th century, the Szymbark estate was held by the prelate of Gniezno, priest Jan Bochniewicz. later, abandoned, it fell into ruin.

The original manor of the Gładysz family in Szymbark was already in existence in the mid- 15th century. The one we see today was con- structed in the 1540s and further extended at the end of the same century – it is then that it acquired its final form.

It probably received the elaborate sculpted ornaments and the sgraffito decoration of the outer walls in 1589-1590.

In 1656, the Hungarian army of George II Rákóczi (1621-1660) burnt the manor down, and even though it was carefully restored, its golden age was long gone.

Today it remains under the care of the District Museum in Nowy Sącz.

















__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'

balthazar liked this post
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #94
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

nice pic of previously shown Chęciny castle :





and sth new - castle in Bolczów :



Bolczów Castle is located near Janowice Wielkie. Building of the castle is attributed to Clericus Bolcze, a courtier of Polish duke Bolko II in the year 1375.

Captured by Hussites, it was destroyed by the punitive expedition of Wrocław and Świdnica townsmen. Since the 16th century, the castle was owned by Justus Decjusz, a courtier of Polish king Sigismund I the Old. He reconstructed the ruined castle and developed copper mining in the surroundings.

After Decjusz's death, the castle became property of the Schaffgotsch family. It was destroyed again during the Thirty Years' War, when Swedes were looking for its treasures. After this invasion, Bolczów Castle never regained its splendor, even though it was partly reconstructed in the 19th century.









and sth unique - Siedlęcin - knight's Tower

you can see that Siedlęcin is very close to Bolczów on the same castle route


Siedlęcin Tower is the 14th century tower castle, situated in a village of Siedlęcin within Jelenia Góra County in south-western Poland.

The keep in Siedlęcin is one of the best-preserved examples of such buildings in Europe.

Its construction was probably started in 1313 or 1314 by Henry I of Jawor (Polish: Henryk I Jaworski), one of the most powerful and notorious Silesian Dukes of the Polish Piast dynasty.

He and his wife Agnes of Bohemia also commissioned the medieval mural paintings in the great hall of the keep.

Later the tower became seat of various silesian knights.

The Siedlęcin tower, surrounded by a moat, is a keep of a relatively modest sort, which combines the functions of housing, ceremony, and defence in a vertical disposition analogous to those found in other castles in Europe: the lower storeys were designed for defence and for trade and business; the upper floors consisted of living quarters, and fulfilled the ceremonial functions of the dukes; the topmost floor also served defensive purposes.

The tower is opened for visitors.



















Siedlęcin - the village

__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #95
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

Poznań - castle reconstruction :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popiel View Post
Zamek Przemysła nabiera kształtów

Patrząc w górę ponad stragany placu Wielkopolskiego można przez chwilę przenieść się w wyobraźni w czasy renesansu. Trwa już dekorowanie trzech dachowych szczytów poznańskiego zamku. Główny gmach zamku w stanie surowym będzie gotowy do końca tego roku.









epoznan
Bobolice - castle reconstruction :

before:



now:













Korzkiew - castle reconstruction :

before :



now:







__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'

FelixMadero liked this post
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 06:07 AM   #96
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603

Wow, beautiful reconstructions.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #97
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

Dębno castle



The first fortification in Dębno was raised by the Gryfici in the second half of the 13th century. This timber-and-earth construction of an oval plan was erected on a low hill surrounded by moat.

Soon it passed into hands of the Pobogowie family, to become a property of the Odrowąż family in the middle of the 14th century. Jakub Dębiński of the house of Odrowąż, the Castellan of Cracow and the Great Crown Chancellor ordered the building of the brick and stone construction on the site of the old residence in the years 1470-1480.

The castle is of irregular plan close in shape to rectangle. All four wings are one-track two-storeyed buildings. Two angle towers of the west wing are both round at the base and octohedral towards the top. The dwelling and representative chambers constitute the second floor of the west wing building.

Its first floor houses spacious Concert Hall. Oriels are projecting out of the north and south walls of the east wing building. To its east wall a multi-sided structure, probably the chapel, was attached. There is a well in the courtyard.

The Dębno estates belonged also to the following families: the Wesselini, the Tarłowie (18th century), the Lanckoroński (mid-18th century), the Rogowski and the Rudnicki.

After the world war II the castle served initially as a police-station (then Civic Militia). Soon after renovation works had been carried out in the years 1970-1978 it became the seat of a branch of the Regional Museum in Tarnów.















__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #98
MARIVS IMPERATOR
Registered User
 
MARIVS IMPERATOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 191
Likes (Received): 15

Nice pictures! Good work!
MARIVS IMPERATOR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #99
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

Świecie castle











__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #100
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,812
Likes (Received): 2115

Poznan castle - reconstruction :





__________________
'Dream as if you'll live forever - live as you'll die today'
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
zamki

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu