daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #21
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc89 View Post
I remember a while ago a thread similar to this one(which itself is quite old lol) came up and someone(or several people, forgot exactly) brought up a good point regarding why the EU hasn't adopted these kinds of couplers, and that's because gigantic US/Russia/China-style freight trains face much larger obstacles in Europe than just weak couplers.

The points I remember:
- Lack of infrastructure, such as sidings big enough to accomodate mile-long trains.
- Geographical reasons. In the EU you're rarely more than a few hundred kilometers from a major port, where it's more efficient to transport cargo through road or smaller faster trains, as is the case right now.
- Operational reasons: Railways in Europe's are currently optimized for running frequent, fast passenger trains. Unless it only runs on dedicated routes or late at night, a gigantic freight train would either cause a massive traffic jam or spend all day sitting in sidings waiting for all the passenger trains to go by.

And especially in today's poor economic times, where rail transport is a common target of government cuts, I don't see upgrading the EU rail network to accommodate heavy freight being a top priority.

All that said, automatic couplers still have the advantage of making it much faster and more efficient to couple/uncouple rolling stock, but I don't know if it's still worth the cost with that alone.
We will not see 1.5 km trains soon, but some 1 km long are already being tested, so there is some interest.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #22
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
And what about freight? I'm aware about fact that UK rail freight is next to none, but still...
Next to none? confused lol sorry

But about freight, I've seen a number of trucks that are joined in two car sets permanently. Not sure what the technical name is, but it just looks like a bar between them

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #23
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
It will be interesting how China will "flood" European railways with an incompatible rolling stock.

If China wants to come to Europe it will have to accept European and Russian standards, otherwise they will have no chance.
Same thing could be said vice versa, Europe could change and use normal trains.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #24
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62877

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Next to none? confused lol sorry

But about freight, I've seen a number of trucks that are joined in two car sets permanently. Not sure what the technical name is, but it just looks like a bar between them
The English term is a drawbar. It's stronger then any couplers and cheaper then automatic couplers.

I've seen them on these German Iron Ore cars.

source: http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/de/...alrrs/pix.html

These trains use heavy automatic couplers, but they are not compatible with the Russian or Chinese couplers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
Some heavy trains in Germany use the AK69e coupler system:

wiki
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #25
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
European couplers are hideous, outdated and should be just phased out in 10 years.
Buffers have certain advantages though, that AAR style couplers don't have. You can for example bank a train without coupling it, or do things like fly shunting.

The reason why the US went to knuckle couplers is because the link and pin coupler they had before was indeed hideous and unsafe. US rolling stock didn't generally have buffers before the knuckle coupler.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 01:34 PM   #26
Dakkus

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
Sorry to stop your dreAMS ABOUT world domination but:

Atlas:

A 10 minutes changing operation and it becomes CHAIN:

Even those 10 minutes aren't necessarily required, because the same coupler can very well handle both SA-3 and chain couplings. Such devices are in everyday use in the Finnish Sr2 locomotives, because Finnish railways use chain couplers but some half of cargo traffic comes from Russia, where they use SA-3.

Some pictures of Unilink couplers:

It is of course possible combining AAR and chain coupler in a similar manner, as well.
A bigger problem between Chinese and European railways are the trains' wheels. Chinese wheels won't pass through European points. But, I figure this problem can be solved, as well
Dakkus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:40 PM   #27
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakkus View Post
A bigger problem between Chinese and European railways are the trains' wheels. Chinese wheels won't pass through European points. But, I figure this problem can be solved, as well
There is a bigger problem to solve before that!

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:21 PM   #28
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Loco + cars

TGV

Japan

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM   #29
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
There is a bigger problem to solve before that!
Yeah, like building an 1435 mm line from china to Europe
-H. Kürsch, 2002

Swede liked this post
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:38 PM   #30
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The future of passenger transportation are EMUs, so that point is relatively moot for passenger trains.
Not entirely, since that also makes you inflexible to quickly changing passenger demands in short-distance travel. You see that around Vienna every day how the length of commuter trains changes from daytime to daytime.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM   #31
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Not entirely, since that also makes you inflexible to quickly changing passenger demands in short-distance travel. You see that around Vienna every day how the length of commuter trains changes from daytime to daytime.
Coupling and decoupling of individual carriages is a waste of resources. It is way cheaper to drag a couple of expendable carriages along then adjusting the length of a train to the assumed demand of every single tour.

Swede liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:14 PM   #32
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62877

And with the automatic couplers it's also easy to couple some EMUs together to make a train longer, flexibility isn't really a problem here.

The main problem with automatic couplers on EMU is that even if the couplers are the same it doesn't necessarily mean that 2 EMU can be coupled. Different software in different trains, even if they are from the same manufacturer can prevent 2 EMUs running together as 1 train.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:46 PM   #33
Dakkus

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
Yeah, like building an 1435 mm line from china to Europe
For passenger trains not really, because passenger carriages with variable gauge bogies are only about 4% more expensive than normal carriages and the gauge changing facilities are cheap to build (within the ballpark of a couple of tens of thousands of euros).
According to what I've been told on this forum, the same kind of bogies would, however, increase the cost of a freight wagon by 15%-80%, which is already quite a bit.

But as said, for passenger trains the differences in wheel profiles seem to be the biggest obstacle.
Dakkus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:49 PM   #34
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Of course dedicated passenger line from China to Europe make no sense. Freight line with some local traffic maybe will work.
-H. Kürsch, 2002

Swede liked this post
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:56 PM   #35
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 50

I have a question regarding to coupling MU-s by scharfenberg couplers.

What about the max speed allowed when coupling? I know that newer MU-s have especial mode for coupling, the speed is about 1km/h. But is there any data about the maximum allowed without doing any harm for the equipment? It shouldn't be very different if to compare by the producers of MU-s?
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #36
Zero Gravity

Likes (Received): 17

Anything happening in this department?
Zero Gravity no está en línea   Reply With Quote