daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #1
UntoldDelight

Likes (Received): 0

Another extension of the European Justice Court

Here are a few photos of its fourth extension (building located in Luxemburg). Three architects (team) are working on it, one of whom is Dominique Perrault.
You've already heard about this project, perhaps.

[IMG]http://*************************/luxembourg/jpgs/court_justice_european_community_dp3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://*************************/luxembourg/jpgs/court_justice_european_community_dp2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://*************************/luxembourg/jpgs/court_justice_european_community_dp4.jpg[/IMG]

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://*************************/luxembourg/jpgs/court_justice_european_community_dp1.jpg[/IMG]
UntoldDelight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Nsch

Likes (Received): 7645

it´s remainds me brasilia!!!... with their modern parliament buildings!
Nsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #3
3tmk
Rusty Robot

I like the color scheme used on the renders, but they do realize it's not going to look like that in reality, don't they? They should expect to be disappointed, because it doesn't look very good to me.
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4542

I see potential.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #5
Dinivan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk View Post
I like the color scheme used on the renders, but they do realize it's not going to look like that in reality, don't they? They should expect to be disappointed, because it doesn't look very good to me.
It actually looks pretty nice in reality image hosted on flickr

flickr

image hosted on flickr

flickr

image hosted on flickr

flickr

image hosted on flickr

flickr

image hosted on flickr

flickr

image hosted on flickr

flickr
Dinivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:24 PM   #6
C-mere
au premier étage

Likes (Received): 893

My picture from last monday.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM   #7
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1460

Something more regal would have been nice.
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:38 PM   #8
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

I find this cold, dull, and rather faddish.
The European Justice Court should reflect Europe and its past.
This seems pretty dull, it will do, but it seems purely functional with little if any aesthetic beauty.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Concrete Stereo

Likes (Received): 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
I find this cold, dull, and rather faddish.
The European Justice Court should reflect Europe and its past.
This seems pretty dull, it will do, but it seems purely functional with little if any aesthetic beauty.
I'm not sure it's about 'aesthetic beauty', but i does lack a certain monumentality that would've been appropriate
Concrete Stereo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #10
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Stereo View Post
I'm not sure it's about 'aesthetic beauty', but i does lack a certain monumentality that would've been appropriate
If the funs are not available, than aesthetic beauty needs to be sacrificed at times.
However, something so permanent should have a timeless aesthetic beauty, something monumental.
This is not.
If I might dare say, something with classical influence would be good for this.
By classical, I do not mean something like Baroque, but something that is ornate yet modest, like Hellenic architecture.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:37 AM   #11
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1460

Quote:
If the funs are not available, than aesthetic beauty needs to be sacrificed at times.
However, something so permanent should have a timeless aesthetic beauty, something monumental.
This is not.
If I might dare say, something with classical influence would be good for this.
By classical, I do not mean something like Baroque, but something that is ornate yet modest, like Hellenic architecture.
Indeed, something in stone with classical influences would have been spectacular.
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM   #12
socrates#1fan

Agreed.

Old November 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #13
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

I'm probably in the minority but I love Dominique Perrault. I love the unabashed modernism and intellectual qualities in his works. And the subtlety of surface and his use of light is very appealing.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #14
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I'm probably in the minority but I love Dominique Perrault. I love the unabashed modernism and intellectual qualities in his works. And the subtlety of surface and his use of light is very appealing.
No one is saying the architecture is bad.
Personally I find it cold, I'll admit, and rather ugly, and I wouldn't want it built in my community, but hey, that is my taste.
If they were building an art gallery, it would be perfect, but it isn't.
However, some feel that the structure isn't right for a Justice Court.
I can't help but think it is too contemporary for such a structure that is to represent the timeless idea of justice.

Old November 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19059

I like it!
I don't think a Justice Court needs an classic architecture. This is the 21ste century and this is 21th century architecture.
I don't think its 'colder' than hellinic architecture. It's not because you built columns and pediments, that you have a warmer, nicer and better architecture.
Benonie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #16
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
I like it!
I don't think a Justice Court needs an classic architecture. This is the 21ste century and this is 21th century architecture.
I don't think its 'colder' than hellinic architecture. It's not because you built columns and pediments, that you have a warmer, nicer and better architecture.
What does it being the 21st century have to do with anything? I guess since we passed 2000 we can only build Jetson structures.
It doesn't have to be Hellenic, but it would make sense since it is a common European style and is a part of shared western heritage, plus, it is timeless.
Hellenic architecture uses ornate details and statues, very human things.
Also, if it is more traditional, it would use reds, blues, and yellows on the details which are much nicer to look at then plain metal or glass walls (which, for a great deal of people, is cold and industrial looking).
Also, use of plants.
At the very least, this court could have plants!

Old November 20th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #17
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5827

Quote:
What does it being the 21st century have to do with anything? I guess since we passed 2000 we can only build Jetson structures.
It doesn't have to be Hellenic, but it would make sense since it is a common European style and is a part of shared western heritage, plus, it is timeless.
Hellenic architecture uses ornate details and statues, very human things.
Also, if it is more traditional, it would use reds, blues, and yellows on the details which are much nicer to look at then plain metal or glass walls (which, for a great deal of people, is cold and industrial looking).
Also, use of plants.
At the very least, this court could have plants!
I know this response comes a bit late but I'll post it nonetheless as I stumbled over this thread.

The new ECJ building is more hellenistic than you'd guess. Even though this is not recognizable at first sight and the superficial appearence is modern and sleek. The layout of the main building is inspired by a greek temple with the most "sacred" chambers being in its centre, being surrounded by a periphery structure which rests on sort of pillars. I know thats pretty abstract though.

I also think the building lacks a bit of representativity from the outside, but could the EU afford to build something Hellenistic? Eurospectics would scream like they were set on fire.

Nonetheless, from the inside, while also modern, I think the court makes a very cool and also representative impression. Both grand and still austere at the same time. Both fits a high court well. Some might find a bit too austere and cold, but I think especially in the rooms, the use of lots of wood counters that.

The Main courtroom:

The main stair:

The main hall, mind how you get a glimpse of the top of the main court room from there:

(All pictures from the ECJ site:http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/jcms/P_3...-ancien-palais)
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:08 AM   #18
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

horrible!

justice is an eternal concept, the building should be timeless
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM   #19
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6220

I love it, its purposefully retro in some areas (ie the stair).
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:34 PM   #20
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

I like it!

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
luksemburg, luxembourg, luxemburg