daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #241
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Hong Kong Airlines Adds Fifth Daily Flight to Bangkok New A330 Business Class Cabin Uplifts Travel Experience
Date: 2013-04-19
Press Release

Hong Kong Airlines announced today a fifth daily flight will be further added to its Bangkok route, offering more choices to travelers with increased frequencies between Hong Kong and Bangkok.

Commencing on 27 April, Hong Kong Airlines will increase the number of flights between Hong Kong and Bangkok from four to five daily, with all flights operated by Airbus A330 aircrafts at an average fleet age of one year. In particular, the business class cabin of the brand new A330-300 aircraft features 32 seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, with each seat turns into a flatbed when fully reclines to 180 degree horizontally and measures an overall length of 6 feet one inch. Passengers can fully enjoy the spacious and exquisite business class experience when flying on the airline’ other routes including Beijing, Shanghai and Taipei which are also operated by A330-300.

From 2 May, one more flight service will be added to the daily schedule of Hong Kong – Phuket route. With the enhanced service, customers will have more choices to fly to the tropical island in Thailand via Hong Kong, the Asian aviation hub.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #242
hkskyline
Hong Kong

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3964 by palmjet, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 27th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #243
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Airlines will launch Hong Kong – Maldives direct regular route
Date: 2013-06-25
Press Release

Commencing new flights between Hong Kong and Maldives on 10 July, Hong Kong Airlines will become the only local carrier providing direct flights to Maldives.

Globally known for its pure white sands and clear blue seas, Maldives has been hailed as one of the top luxury travel destinations among travelers and honeymooners. The Hong Kong- Maldives route will save its passengers time on vehicles, allowing them more leisure to enjoy the incredibly dreamlike island scenery.

On the new Hong Kong- Maldives route, Hong Kong Airlines deploys an A330-300 aircraft which contains 32 business-class seats and 260 economy-class seats. Even for long haul travel, passengers will have comfortable and relaxing journeys by enjoying the spacious seats and individual in-flight entertainment system.

Schedule : http://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_H...id=10001912761

Old July 11th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #244
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Airlines Celebrated Maldives Inaugural Flight
Date: 2013-07-10
Press Release

The inaugural flight between Hong Kong and Maldives provided by Hong Kong Airlines has departed today from the Hong Kong International Airport. To commemorate the official launch of this route, Hong Kong Airlines has held a celebration at the boarding gate.

Before departure, the ground crew of Hong Kong Airlines presented every passenger an inaugural flight certificate and a small gift in gratitude for their support for the Hong Kong-Maldives route. The route receives overwhelming response from the public and widespread popularity among travelers since its tickets are open for sale. The direct flight is praised by passengers who could then minimize their flight time and allow more leisure to enjoy the incredible island scenery.

Old July 21st, 2013, 08:18 AM   #245
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Safety questioned at Hong Kong Airlines
Company defends its record as captain speaks out on what he calls 'terrible standards'
Sunday, 21 July, 2013
South China Morning Post

As Christopher Allan prepared to jet out of Hong Kong with his family before taking up a new job overseas, one thing was certain about their travel arrangements: They wouldn't be flying with Hong Kong Airlines.

"I wouldn't put my wife and kids on Hong Kong Airlines - I really wouldn't," the 56-year-old said of one of the world's youngest and fastest-growing airlines.

Like any paying customer, Allan is entitled to choose whatever airline he feels happiest with. What makes his choice intriguing, however, is that Allan was moving abroad after working as a senior captain and examiner of pilots on Hong Kong Airlines.

His lack of faith in the airline, he says, is based upon his experiences in two years as a pilot with Hong Kong Airlines and the "terrible standards" he claims to have encountered while testing pilots in simulators last year.

A former British Royal Air Force pilot, Allan spent more than 21 years with Cathay Pacific where he flew Boeings and worked as a pilot examiner before retiring and then joining Hong Kong Airlines in 2010 where he retrained to become an Airbus captain.

Two years later - and just two months after being appointed an examiner - Allan resigned from his position over what he claimed were worryingly poor standards among the pilots he tested and his general concern over safety issues at the seven-year-old airline, which has a fleet of 28 aircraft.

Weeks later, while he was serving out his notice, he says he was asked by his manager to "go easy" when he conducted a mandatory six-monthly test in a flight simulator on a senior airline executive who still captains some flights.

When he refused the request, Allan says, he was removed from examining duties before the test. He responded by contacting the Civil Aviation Department and asking it to sit in on the examination which, Allan says, the executive duly failed.

Allan and another serving Hong Kong Airlines pilot called for a meeting with department officials at which they presented documents outlining a series of alleged irregularities in Hong Kong Airlines practices, which they asked officials to investigate.

It was what Allan saw as the department's unwillingness to act upon his complaints that made him go public with his concerns as he left Hong Kong to take up a new position as a pilot with Etihad.

Hong Kong Airlines declined to comment directly on Allan's complaints, but said in a statement: "Safety has always been our number one priority and will always be … We always comply with all safety standards set by the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department, which are regarded as the strictest in the world."

A department spokesperson denied Allan's complaints had been overlooked and said in a statement: "An investigation was conducted in response to Mr Allan's complaints and so far there is no objective evidence to support Mr Allan's complaints."

In an interview shortly before he left Hong Kong, Allan told the South China Morning Post that his experiences as an examiner, giving mandatory six-monthly tests to the airline's community of pilots, had appalled him.

"In the short time from August to October, when I resigned, I saw such terrible standards throughout the airline that I was honour-bound to hand in my notice," he said. "There is nothing worse in aviation than working for a company that doesn't respect safety and standards. At Cathay, I failed one or two guys in 21 years. At this airline, it was two a week. They were that bad. The standards were so poor."

Allan said: "From personally examining individuals in the [flight] simulator, I have seen standards I have never seen in 36 years in aviation."

In the simulator tests he conducted as an examiner, he says he encountered "captains who could not do approaches … guys drifting off the runway and almost crashing, totally misunderstanding the whole safety issues of the aircraft and losing an engine".

Allan described the standard of pilots at the airline as "minimal". "There are some good pilots, but there is an overwhelming number of very average to below average pilots and that was reflected in their failure rate," he said. "When I resigned I said to the director of flight ops, 'I'm sorry but I cannot stay with this airline because I am being associated with a standard that is below industry levels'.

"His reply to me was, 'I had to get aircraft airborne and people in seats to fly them. We will get better'.

"I told him, 'You are not doing anything to reach the standard'."

In his resignation letter to the director of flight operations, S.Y. Chow on October 22, Allan wrote: "It is with regret that my aspirations for a career in [Hong Kong Airlines] do not coincide with that of the company and management. On too many occasions, I find my principles and standards in conflict with those of our daily operation."

Within weeks, Allan says he was asked by a manager three or four days ahead of a scheduled test to "go easy" on a senior airline executive who was to take a routine examination in a simulator. "He [the manager] said 'Be lenient on him because he doesn't fly a lot'," he said. "Basically, I said to the manager I would treat him the same as everyone else. He then chose to take me off the roster and put another examiner on. I saw the roster change and called up crew control and said 'Why was I taken off the check?' The crew controller said they wanted a Mandarin-speaking examiner, which is totally against regulations. The check is done in English. I then called the company and asked why I was taken off the check. They put me back on the check, but a day later they removed me from examining duties."

Allan said he then alerted the department, asking it to do a no-notice check on the exam. They did as he requested and the executive failed the simulator check and subsequently had to undergo retraining, he said.

Asked about the incident, the department spokesman said: "Mr Allan made a formal written complaint against Hong Kong Airlines on 12 November 2012. The CAD immediately performed an inspection on the flying training of [Hong Kong Airlines] on 13 November 2012. No anomalies were found and Mr Allan was informed of the result."

Stripped of his examining duties, Allan and another serving pilot then compiled a dossier of alleged irregularities and safety issues in the airline's operations, and called for a meeting with department officials.

A meeting at the department was held on December 5 involving the two pilots, three senior department officials and a representative from Hong Kong Airlines, according to documents seen by the Post.

A dossier of e-mails and internal reports on incidents involving Hong Kong Airlines planes, which were allegedly either not reported or not acted upon correctly was offered to the department officials at the meeting, but not accepted, according to Allan.

"I am very disappointed with the CAD," he said. "The CAD has always been an authority I have looked up to and here they are not even doing their job."

The department spokesman said Allan was asked to provide documentary proof of his allegations "to support our investigation" after the meeting on December 5. "No further documents have been received," the statement said.

"Nevertheless, in view of the serious allegation, albeit verbal or without solid evidence, the CAD has performed a thorough investigation and so far no objective evidence could be found to substantiate Mr Allan's allegation."

Any suggestion that the department had not taken seriously or properly investigated Allan's claims was unfair and unfounded, the statement said. "Safety is always our top and utmost priority, and therefore we treat every enquiry and complaint against safety seriously," it said.

"We have been handling Mr Allan's complaint according to established procedures, and despite the lack of document proofs, we investigated each of Mr Allan's allegation(s)."

In response to Mr Allan's complaints that safety standards are so low at Hong Kong Airlines that it could be at risk of an accident, the statement said: "While the CAD will not comment on individual operator's performance, we would like to reiterate that Hong Kong Airlines is one of the airlines holding a Hong Kong Air Operator's Certificate.

"Its operations are regulated and monitored closely by the CAD. To ensure safe operations and the operator's compliance with the CAD's requirements, we regularly hold meetings with HKA, conduct various inspections and audits on flight operations and airworthiness aspects similar to what we do to other local airlines."

In a written statement, an airline spokesman said: "Hong Kong Airlines has a policy of not commenting on matters concerning our former employees."

However, the statement went on: "Hong Kong Airlines is committed to growing in Hong Kong. In the last two years, we have put great resources and capital in sustaining this commitment.

"We now provide more than 2,000 jobs [and] contribute to the prosperity of the Hong Kong SAR. Our drive to realise our goals is not and will never be at the expense of safety and standards.

"As a young and growing airline, Hong Kong Airlines is in need of human resources, especially those in critically important positions, which include the pilots. In the process, we have been reaching out to attract the best personnel, but retaining only those who are able to meet our standards.

"We make no apology for making sure that only competent and safe pilots are at the control of our aircraft."

The statement concluded: "We would also like to add that all reports that affect safety are scrutinised and acted upon, without hindrance or influence by our top management, unless they are baseless, frivolous and not substantiated."

Allen, for his part, insists his only motivation in speaking out was to respond to his professional conscience.

"I am not trying to bring this airline down. I am trying to bring it up," he said. "If they don't sort this out and administer a proper standard, they [Hong Kong Airlines] will have a hull loss - in other words a crash.

"Colleagues have said to me 'If you say nothing, you will have resigned, walked away and taken a job with Etihad.' "They told me 'If there is a crash, people will say 'What did you say? Who did you tell?'"

Old July 26th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #246
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Air safety rules may be over the top, pilot says
21 July 2013
South China Morning Post

Hong Kong Airlines has been subject to close scrutiny and occasional bouts of ridicule by some in the city's piloting community since its 2006 launch and throughout its rapid expansion.

The snipes against the airline have sometimes been boosted rather than deflated by the management's reaction to incidents such as the one in 2008 when a South Korea-bound Hong Kong Airlines plane reportedly tried to take off from a taxiway rather than a runway.

As a response to the incident, all the airline's pilots were sent maps of the layout of Chek Lap Kok with a memo instructing them: "Ensure you are on a runway before taking off."

Other instances of Hong Kong Airlines grabbing the headlines for the wrong reasons include a November 2011 incident when a flight was held hostage by passengers after landing at Chek Lap Kok over compensation offered for a nine-hour delay at Changi Airport. One of the longest-running threads on the pilots' forum Fragrant Harbour, with hundreds of thousands of views, is titled "The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines" and highlights alleged management failures and cockpit bungles.

Despite the public relations headaches, however, the airline continues to grow, and fears voiced by Christopher Allan over the way Hong Kong Airlines is run may be overstated, according to a senior serving Cathay Pacific captain.

The captain, speaking on condition of anonymity, acknowledged there was a "general concern" among pilots in Hong Kong about standards at the airline but he said: "What is happening seems to be symptomatic of the industry at the moment. Pilots are getting hired with less experience, and it is expensive to fail a pilot on his proficiency. Training is becoming more constrained in the airline industry in general. You are getting less time and people are relaxing standards. It is a worldwide concern."

However, he said: "Aircraft nowadays are inherently safe - there hasn't been a major accident for a long time now - and Hong Kong Airlines uses new aircraft which seem to be maintained fairly well.

"[The Civil Aviation Department] has to maintain minimum standards and if they do that, there is very little more that you can do. Hong Kong Airlines might have lower standards but if they meet the minimum requirements, what is the problem?

"It is difficult to say there will be a hull loss. People keep saying that about budget airlines in Europe but they don't have accidents and their safety records are pretty good."

One aspect that might colour the opinions of experienced pilots like Allan was the rigorously high training and safety standards at Cathay, Allan's former airline, he suggested.

"Cathay is old fashioned in some respects," the captain said. "We have more than the minimum standards. Some people might even say Cathay has unnecessarily high standards."

Old August 7th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #247
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Flights of infancy
29 July 2013
South China Morning Post

The failure of AirAsia Japan last month highlights just how hard it can be for a budget airline to escape the influence of a parent that is a full-service carrier - in this case, its joint-venture partner, All Nippon Airways.

Hong Kong Express Airways, which announced plans to transform itself into a low-cost carrier (LCC) last month, needs to overcome the same challenge as it seeks to bid adieu to its full-service history.

"Many LCC start-ups fail because they don't have people who know LCCs well," Hong Kong Express deputy chief executive Andrew Cowen said, likening the problem to "building a house without an architect".

"At the beginning of the journey, we split Hong Kong Express from Hong Kong Airlines by separating the management team and the sales and marketing department."

Hong Kong Express and Hong Kong Airlines had previously been operated by the same management team for several years because they are both owned by Hainan-based HNA, the mainland's fourth-largest airline conglomerate.

Cowen's LCC background dates to 1999 when he helped set up no-frills airline Go for British Airways. He was then involved in a management buyout of Go and was lucky enough to exit with a profit when EasyJet came in a year later and acquired Go at a price nearly four times higher.

He has been involved in more than five budget airline start-ups since then, including GoAir in Mumbai (which is independent of Go in Britain), Peach Aviation in Osaka and Phil Air in the Philippines.

Hong Kong Express has four executives with an extensive LCC background on its management team, with a fifth due to arrive soon. All have been sourced from Mango Aviation Partners, a consultancy firm.

Cowen said the biggest hurdle in transforming an existing airline into an LCC was its size. "The smaller the current airline, the fewer problems there would be during the change," he said.

Hong Kong Express got rid of all its Boeing 737s and was left with just two aircraft at the beginning of the process.

"In a sense, we have pared back Hong Kong Express to almost the bare bones," Cowen said. "Just like buying a house and leaving the infrastructure there and rebuilding it."

That was how AirAsia started when Tony Fernandes bought the then ailing airline from a Malaysian government-owned company, stripped it back and then started all over again in 2001 with just two aircraft. It now operates 124.

Hong Kong is served by a dozen budget airlines offering flights to 22 destinations, lagging Singapore, which offers 62 destinations. Budget carriers account for just 5 per cent of the seat capacity offered in Hong Kong, compared with 33 per cent in Singapore and 25 per cent in Asia overall.

Airfares to the same destination are also higher from Hong Kong than from Singapore, even given the extra distances sometimes involved. For example, the lowest fare from Hong Kong to Bangkok is HK$2,218 while from Singapore it is HK$1,526. The lowest airfare from Hong Kong to Mumbai is HK$6,535, compared with Singapore's HK$3,385.

"There is a huge opportunity in the LCC market in Hong Kong, yet a growing challenge from rivals," Cowen said. "They will increase their services to Hong Kong to tap the market."

He said shortening turnaround times was the key to tapping that market, allowing aircraft to make more flights a day and lowering the cost per seat.

The turnaround time was 30 minutes by Asia's industry standard, compared with the 25 minutes achieved by European budget airline Ryanair. But it took Hong Kong Express 40 to 45 minutes to turn around an aircraft, far behind the industry average.

"We can't achieve the goal overnight but we can take it in stages, five minutes at a time," Cowen said. "We are looking at every aspect of the process and redesigning procedures and on the way to achieving the goal."

He said there was no secret to running a budget carrier correctly, but certain rules had to be followed to get the right outcome.

Rule No1 was that the cabin crew had to do the cleaning themselves instead of bringing in cleaners for every turnaround. Rule No2 was that no food and beverages would be loaded at overseas destinations, with supplies for both legs loaded in Hong Kong.

Cowen said he wanted Hong Kong Express to have a Hong Kong personality because the budget market was very competitive and it was a challenge for newcomers to establish a distinct image.

"It's a major crossroads," Cowen said. "While it has a very strong Hong Kong Chinese culture, it's very modern, a melting pot of many influences - a rich and unique flavour to make it different from Singapore or Tokyo.

"Instead of accepting a Malaysian personality in AirAsia or an Australian personality in Jetstar, we will have a genuine Hong Kong personality LCC."

Old September 13th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #248
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Budget carrier takes first shot in fare price war
The Standard
Friday, September 13, 2013

Hongkongers may now fly to seven destinations in Asia on budget airline Hong Kong Express, paying one-third less than fares charged by full-service carriers, the airline claimed yesterday.

Hong Kong Express said it would fly to Tokyo and Osaka in Japan, Phuket and Chiang Mai in Thailand, Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia, Taichung in Taiwan, as well as Kunming in the mainland.

A one-way airfare to Tokyo will costs HK$758, while that to Kota Kinabalu will be priced at just HK$228 - the carrier's cheapest offering. Both fares exclude taxes and other charges.

However cheap prices will mean less than ideal arrival times, with most of the flights landing between late afternoon and midnight. For example, flights to the Japanese capital will arrive at 1.30am.

Competition among budget carriers in the region is expected to heat up with the entry of new players.

Jetstar Hong Kong Airways, which is waiting for a government license, has pledged to offer fares 50 percent lower than full-service carriers.

It aims to launch several three- to five-hour flights to Southeast Asia, Japan, Korea and the mainland, competing directly with Hong Kong Express.

Hong Kong Express deputy chief executive Andrew Cowen said competition will be keen between the airline and Jetstar Hong Kong.

Earlier, Cathay Pacific Airways, Hong Kong Express and its sister company Hong Kong Airlines filed formal objections with the government after it gazetted Jetstar Hong Kong's application.

Jetstar Hong Kong is a joint venture between Shun Tak Holdings (0242), Qantas Airways and China Eastern Airlines (0670).

The airline has acquired 18 A320s and said it could start flying as soon as the license is granted.

Old September 13th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #249
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Budget airline Hong Kong Express aims for 10pc market share
13 September 2013
South China Morning Post

Hong Kong Express Airways says it hopes to get 10 per cent of the city's market for passenger flights by offering cheap fares when it transforms itself into a budget airline next month.

A one-way ticket to Kunming, Yunnan province, excluding taxes and fuel surcharges will be HK$298 - less than half that offered by CX fanfare, a weekly fare promotion of Cathay Pacific Airways.

The HK Express fare to Phuket, Thailand, will be HK$368 - a third of the fare of low-cost rival Jetstar Hong Kong, which awaits approval to become the city's second budget carrier.

Flights to Tokyo's Haneda airport, the priciest among the airline's seven destinations announced yesterday, will be HK$758, on par with Osaka-based low-cost carrier Peach Aviation.

The airline's deputy chief executive, Andrew Cowen, said that not all tickets would be that cheap. Cowen said HK Express would add six aircraft next year, and by 2018 its fleet would be 30-strong. He would not estimate the proportion of total sales that promotional tickets would account for, as airfares were adjusted according to demand, he said.

Zhang Qiang, the airline's president, said it could break even within two years and gain a market share of 10 per cent "in the near future".

Yang Jianhong, the executive chairman of Hong Kong Express, said in June the firm would lower costs per seat by 40 per cent by increasing the use of aircraft to 13 hours per day from nine and eliminating free catering and check-in baggage on board.

The 10 budget carriers that fly to Hong Kong have a combined market share of 5 per cent. Joining Cathay's and Dragonair's opposition to Jetstar Hong Kong's application for an operating licence, Cowen said too many airlines competing for too few flight slots and parking stands would result in congestion.

"It's like shopping in a mall. When there are just two people, it is great; when there are 1,000 people, it's not so good," he said.

Jetstar Hong Kong chairwoman Pansy Ho Chiu-king said on Wednesday the market was big enough for new players, with a new midfield terminal and a third runway on the way.

HK Express said it would announce more destinations in the coming weeks. Cowen said the airline would avoid competing head on with sister airline Hong Kong Airlines, which would focus on business destinations such as Beijing and Shanghai.

The budget airline is already flying to one mainland city. It will start flying to two cities in Thailand and one in each of Malaysia, Taiwan and the mainland on October 27. It will fly to Tokyo and Osaka from November.

Old October 7th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #250
hkskyline
Hong Kong

272客滯馬爾代夫30小時即時掌握第一手突發新聞消息
10月7日

當地警員將機上乘客帶離機艙後,滯留乘客在大堂鼓譟。(讀者提供)

Synopsis : 272 passengers on an Oct. 5th Hong Kong Airlines flight from Maldives to Hong Kong have been stranded for 30 hours due to technical problems. Police were called as passengers refused to deplane. The airline conveyed the plane had to return to the parking stand twice due to technical problems.

【本報訊】香港航空一架原定前日由馬爾代夫飛返香港航班,因數度機件故障未能起飛,二百七十二名乘客滯留當地機場逾三十小時,據悉當中不乏香港乘客。有乘客狠批航空公司安排混亂,「三次叫我哋上機,又三次叫番我哋落嚟」,期間乘客集體鼓譟不願落機,更有警方奉召到場,混亂間有男乘客被指打人一度被扣留。香港航空表示,涉事航機因機件故障需兩度返回泊位,將延至今日下午一時飛抵香港。

混亂中男乘客被扣留

有廣州乘客向本報投訴稱,受影響班機原定當地時間晚上九時許起飛,乘客登機後,飛機不斷原地打轉,機組人員指燃油燈亮起,疑是「漏油」需檢查。期間機組人員曾叫乘客下機,不足一小時又改口叫乘客上機,稱「試吓飛唔飛到,唔得就取消航班」,引來乘客嘩然,擔心有安全問題。

投訴人續指,至早上六時,航空公司稱已為乘客安排酒店,豈料乘客下機後發現無人接待,質疑航空公司「呃人」,返回機艙不願離開,不久有當地警察到場要求他們離開機艙,混亂中有男乘客被扣留。後來,有中國駐馬爾代夫使館人員到場調停,航空公司昨下午安排乘客入住酒店。

香港航空指原訂十月五日由馬爾代夫馬飛返香港的航機HX790,因機件故障需兩度返回泊位,已安排所有乘客下機等候及入住酒店。

不過,當乘客獲通知需下機等候,部份乘客拒絕,需當地警方協助。香港航空為是次航班延誤致歉。香港入境處表示,未接獲香港一航班在馬爾代夫事件的求助。

Old October 9th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #251
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Express Airways to go into service as LCC at Kansai airport
Kyodo News

OSAKA, Oct. 7 -- Low-cost carrier Hong Kong Express Airways will go into service at Kansai International Airport in western Japan from November, the airport's operator said Monday.

Hong Kong Express will begin a daily round-trip service linking the airport in Osaka Prefecture and Hong Kong from Nov. 21 as the fifth airline to operate flights on the route, according to New Kansai International Airport Co.

The airline had run flights to and from the airport as a full-service carrier until October 2010 before withdrawing from the service due to a decline in users that stemmed from the yen's appreciation and worsening Japan-China relations over a territorial dispute.

Hong Kong Express has decided to make a re-entry into the airport as an LCC in view of the increasing number of tourists to Japan owing to a recent weaker yen.

The airport operator also said Philippine LCC Cebu Pacific Air will increase its service between the airport and Manila from Dec. 19 to a daily round-trip service from the current three a week.

Old November 7th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #252
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Airlines' 'deviations' a concern, says transport chief Anthony Cheung
South China Morning Post
4 November 2013

Hong Kong Airlines has been told to improve its practices after seven incidents where pilots "deviated from regulations", with one ignoring an instruction from air traffic control not to climb to an altitude where there was other aircraft.

Secretary for Transport and Housing Professor Anthony Cheung Bing-leung has expressed concern over the disclosures, saying that "even one incident is too many".

He also said that the Civil Aviation Department had demanded an explanation from the airline on why the deviations happened. The department has also demanded improvements from the airline.

The Civil Aviation Department confirmed that the budget airline experienced seven deviations from regulations from August to mid-September, but a spokeswoman said that none of the deviations posed safety threats, as many were only "technical infringements".

Apple Daily reported yesterday that the budget airline faced seven aviation "incidents" from August to mid-September. On August 8, the airline's pilot on board a flight to Bangkok mistook the runway clearance of another plane as its own. The plane crossed the red stop line but the situation was immediately rectified by the air traffic controllers in Chek Lap Kok.

On 16 September, another pilot on board a plane to Nanjing was originally instructed to climb to 9,000 feet.

The plane was later instructed not to do so because there was conflicting traffic at that level. But the pilot did not observe the instruction and was observed to be at the higher level.

"What I think is that even one incident is too many. [Airlines] should follow the rules strictly as this is about aviation safety," Cheung said after attending a road safety event.

"Hong Kong has adopted very strict international air traffic regulations…any deviation from the regulations needs to be reported to the Civil Aviation Department."

Old January 5th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #253
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By B-HXG from a Hong Kong discussion forum :

Old January 13th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #254
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Airlines adds 4th flight to Beijing route
Date: 2014-01-06
Press Release

In order to meet the increasing demand of the Hong Kong and Beijing markets and passengers’ need, commencing on 24 January 2014, Hong Kong Airlines will expand its Beijing route service to four flights a day.

In 2013, Hong Kong Airlines carried more than 500,000 passengers on its Beijing route, with an average flight loading reached over 80% and an on-time performance of 90% with flights departing the Beijing Capital International Airport according to FlightStats.

With the added frequency, 2,000 seats will be offered everyday with four different flight times, providing more choices to leisure and business travelers. The original three daily flights of Beijing route are operated by A330-300 aircrafts, which business class cabin features 32 seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, with each seat turns into a flatbed when fully reclines to 180 degree horizontally and measures an overall length of 6 feet one inch. The 4th flight will be operated by A320 aircraft, and upgraded to A330 wide-body aircraft in summer.

Mr. Li Dianchun, Hong Kong Airlines Commercial Director said, “Passenger demands increase with the tightening cooperation between Hong Kong and Beijing in respect to trading and tourism. Hong Kong Airlines Beijing route is becoming a hot pick among business and leisure travelers, by its high frequency flights, luxury and comfortable seats, on-time rate and quality inflight service. And the newly added flight has already gained a high loading rate.”

Besides Beijing, Hong Kong Airlines also operates four daily flights from Hong Kong to Shanghai, five to Bangkok and four to Taipei.

Old January 27th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #255
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Express Airways plans 12 new destinations by year-end
24 January 2014
Manila Bulletin

Hong Kong Express Airways Ltd., backed by China's HNA Group, plans to expand its flight network to 20 Asian cities this year, as it seeks to lure more cost- conscious passengers from Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd.

The budget carrier will add 12 destinations, including Seoul in South Korea, Deputy Chief Executive Officer Andrew Cowen said in Hong Kong today, declining to identify other cities. It will more than double its fleet to 11 Airbus Group A320s by the end of 2014 from five aircraft now, he said.

Hong Kong Express will add to the challenges Cathay Pacific faces in maintaining its 50 percent share of passengers flying out of China's financial hub. Hong Kong Express has flown almost 200,000 passengers since converting into a budget airline from a regional carrier in October.

“We've been able to get good savings as we transform to a low-cost model,” Cowen said. “We're still on track to break even and be a little more profitable for this year.”

Hong Kong Express will offer daily flights to Seoul's Incheon airport by the end of March, Cowen said. It already flies to eight cities including Osaka, Kunming and Phuket.

Jetstar Hong Kong Airways Ltd., a joint venture by Qantas Airways Ltd., China Eastern Airlines Corp. and Shun Tak Holdings Ltd., is still waiting for an operating license.

The Hong Kong government has said it won't process applications from new airlines until it completes a review of criteria for designating local carriers.

“The delay has been great for Hong Kong Express” as they now have a very visible low-cost carrier brand, said Will Horton, an analyst at CAPA Centre for Aviation. “But from a consumer perspective, it's better to have more competition.”

Old February 5th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #256
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Express to Seoul
The Standard
Wednesday, February 05, 2014

From March 30, HK Express will fly daily to Seoul Incheon International Airport. The one-way airfare is HK$620.

Said deputy chief executive Andrew Cowen: "In 2014, we are planning on adding more than 12 new destinations to our network, offering our guests the opportunity to travel to over 20 destinations across Asia.

"We'll also be expanding our current fleet of Airbus A320 aircraft from five to 11 by the end of the year with an aim to recruit over 250 cabin crew and other key operational staff."

Old February 17th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #257
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/602/6022845.html

Equario liked this post
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #258
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Airlines Boosts Network with New Services to Kagoshima and Tianjin

HONG KONG, Feb. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- To further strengthen its network, Hong Kong Airlines will launch new services to Kagoshima and Tianjin commencing 30th March. The Hong Kong -- Kagoshima route provides the only direct flight service between the two destinations.

Hong Kong Airlines will deploy an all-economy class Airbus A320 aircraft on the Kagashima route, which will operate on every Thursday and Sunday. Kagoshima is located at the southernmost of Kyushu of Japan. Being named as "The southern gateway of Japan", it is famous by its unique history, culture and a wide selection of local cuisine, as well as natural landscape attractions including Yakushima Island, the registered world natural heritage, the active volcano Sakurajima, and abundant hot springs.

The newly added Tianjin route will also be operated by an all-economy class Airbus A320 aircraft three times weekly and increased to four times from mid-May. The new Tianjin service will mark the Airlines' 17th destination in China and become another important business and leisure route which further promoting business and tourism exchanges between the two cities.

Hong Kong Airlines Hong Kong -- Kagoshima route flight schedule:

Flight no. Route Departure/Arrival time* Frequency

HX671 Hong Kong to Kagoshima Every Thursday and Sunday

11:55/15:55

HX672 Kagoshima to Hong Kong Every Thursday and Sunday

16:55/18:55

*All local time

The flight schedule for Tianjin is as follows:

Flight no. Route Departure/Arrival time Frequency

HX368 Hong Kong to Tianjin Every Monday, Wednesday,

10:50/13:55 Friday and Sunday#

HX369 Tianjin to Hong Kong Every Monday, Wednesday,

14:55/18:05 Friday and Sunday#

# Sunday service effective from mid-May

For more details please visit http://www.hkairlines.com, or enquire via Hong Kong Airlines Call Center hotline +852-3151-1888 (Hong Kong), 950-715(Mainland China).

Old March 31st, 2014, 02:26 PM   #259
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/604/6045094.html

Old April 4th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #260
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Airlines Kagoshima Route Recorded Strong Sales Average PLF Reached Around 80%
Date: 2014-04-03
Press Release

Hong Kong Airlines launched Kagoshima route (the “Route”) on 30 March, marking the only direct route between Hong Kong and Kagoshima. Recently, Hong Kong Airlines announced the sales update of the Route. The average passenger load factor from April to June reached around 80%, and is now in stable growth.

Mr. Alex Wu, General Manager of Hong Kong Sales Office, said, the Route has recorded strong sales since its inaugural. Foreign independent tourists from Hong Kong constitute the major of the customer source. Meanwhile, the feedback from travel agencies shows increasing group orders as well. Going forward, Hong Kong Airlines will corporate with Kagoshima government to develop more products featuring Kagoshima’s exclusive scenery so as to cater to our customers.

The current network of Hong Kong Airlines covers about 24 hot pick business and leisure travel destinations in the South East Asia and China. To meet the growing demand in traveling to Japan among Hong Kong citizens, Hong Kong Airlines will continue to explore the market in Japan, aiming to offer our customers more diverse travel options.