daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Auckland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1201
IThomas
ɐpɐu ǝɹ,noʎ 'ɐpɐɹd ɯ,ı

Likes (Received): 5391

Plans unveiled for Shed 10

Design plans have been revealed for the proposed conversion of a heritage building on Auckland’s waterfront into a world class multi use cruise and events facility. Shed 10 on Queen’s Wharf, dates back to 1910 and was used for much of its life as a cargo shed for export and import goods. More recently it formed a key part of the festivities for the Rugby World Cup 2011 Fanzone on Queen’s Wharf. As a key economic development project in the Auckland Council 10 year budget (Long Term Plan) an innovative and adaptive refurbishment is planned at a revised cost of $14.6m, compared with an initial budget of $25m including gangway, design and preparation costs. The upgrade will transform Shed 10 into a unique venue for major and community events and offers improved processing facilities to capitalise on Auckland’s growing reputation as a hub port for visiting international cruise ships in the South Pacific. Forecast numbers for the 2012/2013 cruise season indicate a further 25 per cent increase in passenger numbers to approximately 214,000. In 2011/12 the cruise industry generated approximately $268m in direct spend into Auckland alone and provided around 1,550 jobs.

Shed 10 will be over 50% larger than the current cruise facility on Princes Wharf and is being designed to cater for cruise ships carrying up to 3,000 passengers and for events of up to 3,000 people. Council controlled organisation Waterfront Auckland is responsible for the delivery of the project. Chief Executive John Dalzell says the challenge has always been how to preserve the building’s history whilst upgrading it to accommodate a number of different uses. “Our team have worked with the designers, the cruise and events industries and heritage experts to come up with a design that captures the essence of this building and is fit for purpose from a functionality perspective.”
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1202
GoluBoy
TrendSetter

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Design plans have been revealed for the proposed conversion of a heritage building on Auckland’s waterfront into a world class multi use cruise and events facility.
Please excuse me.I feel a little sick,moment to puke,to ring my inner stomach of it's entire contents.To barf.Vomit, & otherwise throw reckless abandon to the aforesaid statement.

Personally, I'd use the existing cloud structure on Queens wharf to introduce Cruise Ship travelers to Indigenous Maori Souvenirs,and visual and audio representation to our natural heritage.I'd personally blow up the existing shed.What a GEM that still is *Shudders* .I'd replace it with appropriate landing facilities, that link said cruise ship with the cloud,to form an autonomous route to Queen Street for filthy rich to displace an inordinate amount of $$ upon our humble soil.

Last edited by GoluBoy; May 21st, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
GoluBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1203
Matt L

Likes (Received): 50

Seriously even during the RWC the cloud/slug felt pretty boring and lifeless as it really isn't anything more than a giant tent.
Matt L no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:29 AM   #1204
AK-Sam
If only....

Likes (Received): 4

Shed 10 would be a single berth terminal.
We need 2 or 3 berths - a double sided wharf.
Gordon Moller raised this point last year.

And with cruise ships berthed, what would be left of Queens Wharf for the public? The Cloud? Well the cloud is there now - I still haven't been in it.
AK-Sam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1205
IThomas
ɐpɐu ǝɹ,noʎ 'ɐpɐɹd ɯ,ı

Likes (Received): 5391

Cruise ship terminal on track

Moves to build a new cruise ship terminal on Queens Wharf are underway with Auckland Council calling for expressions of interest from skilled contractors wanting to be involved in the refurbishment. The $14.6 million terminal at Queens Wharf will incorporate the refurbished Shed 10 and the Cloud. Waterfront Auckland wants to narrow down a list of contractors who they will then seek proposals from. Contractors will refurbish Shed 10 into a cruise terminal and event space. The work will involve general preparation, demolition and make the most of existing heritage features. Artistic impressions of the converted Shed 10 heritage building show timber stairs, exposed beams and new windows looking out to the harbour and CBD. The terminal will be 50 per cent larger than the current cruise facility on Princes Wharf and would cater to ships carrying up to 3000 passengers.

Earlier this year, Brown said there was a need for Auckland to become more "cruise friendly" to gain maximum economic benefit from the industry. Cruise ships make up New Zealand's fourth largest inbound tourist market and is expected to become the third in the coming season. The call for interest document stated Auckland was one of the few cities in the world where cruise vessels berthed directly in the heart of the city. "It is a point of difference for Auckland in the competitive tourism market," it said. Contractors have until July 5 to lodge their interest. The new cruise ship terminal is expected to be completed by April 2013.
IThomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #1206
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 5537

Final step in funding approval confirmed for Shed 10

Carnival Australia welcomes today’s final step in funding approval for the transformation of Shed 10 into a multi-use cruise terminal and events facility. The adoption of Auckland Council’s Long Term Plan means $14.6million will be spent upgrading the heritage-listed Shed to create a facility that cements Auckland’s position as a vital part of the international cruise market. Carnival Australia CEO, Ann Sherry again praised Auckland’s strong leadership in supporting the growth of this important tourism industry. “This humble, yet cleverly-designed facility on Auckland’s waterfront will ensure the cruise market continues to flourish in Auckland and New Zealand,” she said.

“I can see from the design plans I’ve been privy to that a great deal of thought, scoping and discussion has gone into this project. It is truly world-class, with the room to grow along with the industry – and I’m certain that come April next year, Shed 10 will be transformed into a facility that Carnival Australia is proud to show off to its passengers. “We’re also excited that the projected completion of Shed 10 coincides with P&O Cruises’ Pacific Pearl coming back to be homeported in Auckland. This really reinforces how much the cruise industry has grown in this country in recent years and I know this new space will provide a fabulous and fitting abode for Pacific Pearl,” said Ann.

You’re mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I’ll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #1207
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

This could be quite interesting ... a Transformer mcCaw

Heavy metal McCaw may transform city

New York Harbour has the Statue of Liberty and the Waitemata Harbour could soon have its very own Statue of Victory - a 14m-tall metal All Black figure in the image of Richie McCaw. A Chinese sculptor will be approaching the Auckland Council next week with plans to construct the statue using scrap metal from old cars. He hopes it can be placed on Queens Wharf. Yi Yang, 24, a student at AUT University, wants to present the statue - expected to cost about $20,000 to build - as a gift to the city. "All great cities have got a statue, and I think it is about time Auckland has one too," said Mr Yang.

"This statue will celebrate the pride of New Zealanders in winning last year's Rugby World Cup, and of course honour the All Blacks who brought that pride to the country." Yang is fanatical about Transformers and has been sculpting larger-than-life replicas of the robots with two friends since he was 19. The hobby has since turned into a business and he has been commissioned to sculpt giant figures in China and Singapore. His 14m creation of Autobot leader Optimus Prime, which he sold for about $50,000, is now on permanent display at the Shenyang Centre business district, and others are at the Transformers theme park ride in Universal Studios Singapore.

"I am very sure the All Blacks statue will be a huge tourist attraction, and will also be a new Auckland landmark," said Yang. He had not thought about a name for the sculpture, but felt it could be fitting to call it the "Statue of Victory". Metal McCaw would be made in China and shipped here in parts tobe reconstructed, he said - just asthe Statue of Liberty had been made in France and its 350 individual pieces were shipped to New York in 214 crates. Yang said he was finalising the proposal, plans and design for the four-storey-high statue and would be approaching the council within the next few days.

Auckland Council spokeswoman Angela Jones said the council's public art team would consider the proposal when it was received. Waterfront Auckland spokesman Luke Henshall said the plan had to be carefully considered. "While we're the first to admit Richie is a legend, large-scale public artworks such as this would need to be carefully considered as part of the overall design approach for the high-profile open spaces of Queens Wharf," he said If the plan is approved, it would not be the first statue of a New Zealand icon to be sculpted by a Chinese artist. The statue of Sir Edmund Hillary, which has become a landmark in Orewa, north of metropolitan Auckland, is the work of sculptor Chen Weiming.

You’re mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I’ll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #1208
AK-Sam
If only....

Likes (Received): 4

Awesome.. Where would it go?
Here's the transformer
AK-Sam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #1209
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

I agree, we need something out of the ordinary and not so literal

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1210
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1211
drosophila

Likes (Received): 19

Is the slug ever actually used for anything these days?
drosophila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:57 AM   #1212
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

For private functions and concerts (Justin Bieber used it a few nights back). This has got to stay on the Wharf. I think that it is one of the best buildings in the city - not a square block - hallelujah. It makes for an awesome sight when coming into the city via ferry, especially at night.

A cafe should be opened at the end of the pier side and it could be used as a market place or an exhibition space for street artists. It has huge potential.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 21st, 2012, 01:07 AM   #1213
Matt L

It will be being used in a few weeks time. ANZ are going to have the opening Ceremony played on big screens along with Hamish Carter talking about his experiences.
Old July 21st, 2012, 01:26 AM   #1214
Bealzebubbles

Likes (Received): 29

I think a market could be a good use for it. Imagine wandering through there on a sunny summers day. Finding some amazing produce then having a picnic on a patch of grass at the end of the wharf.
Bealzebubbles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 07:20 AM   #1215
viinniie

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosophila View Post
Is the slug ever actually used for anything these days?
yes. justin bieber had a private performance in there the other night
viinniie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM   #1216
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

+ INSTAGRAM
Old July 21st, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1217
drosophila

Quote:
Originally Posted by viinniie View Post
haha that's reason enough to get rid of it ;-)
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:49 AM   #1218
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by viinniie View Post
I noticed there were security guards at the front of the wharf on Friday night. What's the bet they closed off the whole wharf, something that is meant to be a public place
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:18 AM   #1219
drosophila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I noticed there were security guards at the front of the wharf on Friday night. What's the bet they closed off the whole wharf, something that is meant to be a public place
If wasn't for the fact that Wynward Wharf has opened up a whole new section of Auckland's waterfront I am bettng there'd be a lot more of an uproar over how half the wharf is shut off for customs and the rest is frequently shut off for buses/trucks to load/unload cruise ships and Justin Bieber concerts.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:23 AM   #1220
viinniie

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosophila View Post
If wasn't for the fact that Wynward Wharf has opened up a whole new section of Auckland's waterfront I am bettng there'd be a lot more of an uproar over how half the wharf is shut off for customs and the rest is frequently shut off for buses/trucks to load/unload cruise ships and Justin Bieber concerts.
ok, we get it. u hate it.
viinniie no está en línea   Reply With Quote