daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #761
Sainton

Likes (Received): 125

That train interior is funky! I like
Sainton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #762
dixiadetie

Likes (Received): 798

First train of line 6 PhaseII

Photoed by NgaiHoLam from Ditiezu.com

He went to XiangXue Sta. before the day of grand opening .
At 5.30 AM :

Lying work of asphalt still going on before opening

Finally the entrance opened in 5.50 AM. And he became the first passenger of Xiangxue Sta and the train is waiting for him. Congratulations !

The platform of line 6 Phase II is available for 6L train , which will be apply in line 23 , the line separated from current Line 6 .

The train run smoothly and fast . The train will pass Kemulang Sta, and Botanical garden Sta. , at a low speed .
And he arrived Longdong Sta.

From 28th.Dec.2016 , during peak hours , there will be 2/3 of trains running "Xunfenggang ~ Xiangxue" service and 1/3 running "Xunfenggang ~ Changban" service .
Old December 30th, 2016, 11:03 PM   #763
saiho

Likes (Received): 1297

Line 6 is totally going to get destroyed by rush hour crowds in 2017.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:04 AM   #764
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

why didn't Kemulang and Botanical Garden stations open with the rest of the Line 6 extension?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:29 AM   #765
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdefender View Post
TOP 10 CITY SUBWAY LENTH IN THE WORLD BY 2016-12-31
http://gzdaily.dayoo.com/html/2016-1...ontent_4_1.htm

1.SHANGHAI 上海 617 KM

2. BEIJING 北京 554 KM

3. LONDON 伦敦 402 KM

4. NEW YORK 纽约 369 KM

5. MOSCOW 莫斯科 353 KM

6. TOKYO 东京 326 KM

7. SEOUL 首尔 314 KM

8. GUANGZHOU 广州 308 KM

9. MADRID 马德里 294 KM

10. SHENZHEN 深圳 285 KM

Looks about right although the guangfo line causes a lot of disagreement , as the line is half in Foshan and half in Guangzhou I would normally consider counting it as such for each respective metro . The problem arises if we do so then Foshan only has half a line , does half a metro constitute a metro system? I can't see this being resolved until Foshan has additional operating metro lines.

dbhaskar, Munwon liked this post
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:30 AM   #766
kunming tiger

What are the projections cerca 2020 for the top ten plus length of the systems?
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:05 PM   #767
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

How do we measure the length of subway here? For example, is Paris RER and the future London Crossrail included or not? Parts of those systems function as subways and parts as suburban lines... There are probably more examples like that.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:22 PM   #768
dixiadetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Line 6 is totally going to get destroyed by rush hour crowds in 2017.
It already is , because of the blooming season of Prunus mume in Xuangxue Parkl near Xiangxue Park . Many people go there for a short trip.

And Xiangxue station is conducting passenger float control .

Transhumanista, Zaz965, dewlin07 liked this post
dixiadetie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:25 PM   #769
dixiadetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunming tiger View Post
What are the projections cerca 2020 for the top ten plus length of the systems?
There are land expropriation issues on these 2 station . So the entrances can not be built . Therefore , the station can not open even the platform is done .
dixiadetie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:54 PM   #770
saiho

New Year’s Traffic, Metro Crowds Expected in Guangzhou

Quote:
According to the Guangzhou Metro, metro passenger flow is expected to reach a staggering 9.92 million on December 31 – making it the peak day of holiday traffic.
Source

Run those new lines to the ground.

dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:01 PM   #771
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

I rode the extended line 6 today an I was so happy because it makes it so much easier to get to Tiyu Xilu and Zhujiang New Town. A few of the unopened stations look pretty damn finished at least the platforms do (Kemulong). Gaotongshi Station looks great and the platforms are indeed long enough for longer trains they have little ropes as well as a light to show you where to stand.

I will also add that the Guangzhou Metro was way too crowded on New Years Eve but it was a damn good party though.

Happy New Years and I feel like the Line 6 extension is a late Christmas present. I've been passing these stations for the past four months on an overcrowded bus.

dbhaskar, Zaz965 liked this post
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 08:04 PM   #772
lawdefender

Likes (Received): 1387

2016 GUANGZHOU METRO RIDERSHIP: 2568 MILLIONS.

http://www.ditiezu.com/thread-493833-1-1.html

dimlys1994, Zaz965, EasySeven liked this post
lawdefender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:53 PM   #773
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunming tiger View Post
Looks about right although the guangfo line causes a lot of disagreement , as the line is half in Foshan and half in Guangzhou I would normally consider counting it as such for each respective metro . The problem arises if we do so then Foshan only has half a line , does half a metro constitute a metro system? I can't see this being resolved until Foshan has additional operating metro lines.
The list is a bullshit list anyway considering it divides the different Tokyo systems into different systems. The same can be said for different german systems and even seoul, paris and london...

The whole list smells of chinese propaganda where they add their own full length, but holds away large portions of foreign networks. I am anything but against china in any respect. I am just alergic to propaganda and misinformation.

Last edited by Bannor; January 2nd, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:47 AM   #774
dbhaskar

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
The list is a bullshit list anyway considering it divides the different Tokyo systems into different systems. The same can be said for different german systems and even seoul, paris and london...

The whole list smells of chinese propaganda where they add their own full length, but holds away large portions of foreign networks. I am anything but against china in any respect. I am just alergic to propaganda and misinformation.
Wikipedia does the same, LOL. China is way ahead of other countries in terms of metro development. They have 7 systems with over 100 stations and 6 systems above 200 km (Wuhan being 184 km just misses out) in length. I doubt they require any 'propaganda' to hammer it home.
dbhaskar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:30 AM   #775
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

He has a point. Any list which doesn't count the full Tokyo rail system is highly suspect at best. Wikipedia editors being just as lazy is not a valid argument.

Silly_Walks liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 11:57 AM   #776
kunming tiger

Quote:

The distances given for the Metros correspond to the figures given on wikipedia I know this because I memorised them . If the figures are wrong then wikipedia is to blame not the Chinese. Even if you count the metros in Tokyo as one ( using the figures on wikipedia ) they still have less metro than China.

A couple of thngs are undeniable facts

1. China has a lot of metro systems more than any other country.

2. The combined mileage of such systems exceed than of any other country.

3, The combined ridership of these systems exceeds that of any other country.

It's not a propaganda ploy by elemets in Beijing to pull the wool over people's eyes. These systems exist no argument.

Lets say your point re Tokyo Metro systems is understated is valid and combine all three systems at the current rate the Chinese are building the major Metro systems on the Mainland will easily surpass that figure before 2020 making it a moot point.

The only way you could have a valid argument is by proving that there are no such metro systems in China or if there are the length of those systmes has been seriously overstated making the list itself completely inaccurate
in which case wikipedia cannot be relied upon as a reference for metro system lengths .

dbhaskar liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:08 PM   #777
kunming tiger

Quote:

Your last point has me confused , How can the Chinese pressurize foreign governments into not publicly disclosing the the true or exact length of their metros ? So the real lenghts of metros in foreign countries is more than given on wikipedia due to pressure from Beijing ?

I personally are for combining the different metros in one city and counting as one whole. In the end it won;t make an difference at all.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:30 PM   #778
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10711

The problem is Japanese rail don't make a distinction between metro and non metro. Basically the majority of urban private rail lines fit almost every definition of metro except some grade crossings here and there. Almost all these systems run at higher frequencies than many metros around the world. A lot of these systems also literally connect and turn into the subway systems called "through servicing". If you count such systems (and anyone who has travelled Japan clearly would, it's a joke the Yamamote line alone is ignored) Tokyo is by far the largest in the world, and metropolitan Osaka is second.

In other words this entire "measuring" nonsense is just so arbitrary with some rather useless distinctions to count what is metro and what isn't. The fact is the majority of URBAN (not suburban!!) rail service in Tokyo is not served by the subway system aka "metro". 14.6 billion people use the Tokyo rail system every year and the "subway"'only represents 22% of that. We are talking about 40 million people daily. It's unparalleled. As far km go it's 4,700 km. Now these last figures do indeed include clearly suburban lines but just to give an idea of the scale we are talking about here.

Last edited by ukiyo; January 2nd, 2017 at 06:13 PM.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 06:54 PM   #779
saiho

That 4,700 km number indeed includes many very quiet suburban / rural sections with single tracking and many at grade crossings that many people would not consider metro lines by any stretch of the imagination. Many of the main lines of the private railways get really suburbany (is that even a word?) when they start to get really far from central Tokyo but when they get closer the lines gradually resemble metro (grade separated, 2 min per train etc.).

Arbitrary is probably good word to throw around here, as I could easily say the mass inclusion of all railed lines in the Greater Tokyo Region or any other major metropolitan area of Japan as pretty arbitrary. Even Kansai's network is not as "metroified" as Tokyo's (the Osaka Loop is still metro-like but is no Yamanote Line). It's really your numbers and distinctions against mine.

If I may throw the conversion back on topic though, the PRD Region (which Guangzhou is part of) is forming a urban railway system that will start to give the Kanto Region's a run for it's money. In 10 years we are looking at conservatively at 3,000km urban rail network (subways and regional ICRs using the commuter CRH6 trains).

dbhaskar liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:43 PM   #780
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10711

That's the entire point it's arbitrary. Just some definitions that metro website made up, and simply Japanese lines do not conform to these definitions. Even the same line will range from metro to clearly "suburban". The main point is ONLY counting the subway in Japan as "metro" doesn't even touch the reality of the urban rail systems in Japan and vastly understates it. Japan is the most rail heavy country in the world as a primary means of transportation which all these ranking people simply forget so they can gloat about it on Internet forum.

Hell my local line here in Osaka which is considered "commuter rail" by Wikipedia is far more reliable, clean and at basically the same frequency as NYC metro lines.

Last edited by ukiyo; January 2nd, 2017 at 07:50 PM.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, guangzhou, metro, subway, transit